Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Care home staff could be forced to have vaccine

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

from sky news

Care home staff in England could be forced to get a vaccine, the government has said.

The Department of Health and Social Care has launched a consultation on making vaccination a condition of deployment for care home staff.

A five-week consultation will seek views and a decision is expected this summer.

According to experts from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), 80% of staff and 90% of residents need to be vaccinated to provide a minimum level of protection against COVID outbreaks.

Latest vaccination figures from NHS England show that 78.9% of older adult care home staff have had a jab.

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Older people living in care homes are most at risk of suffering serious consequences of COVID-19 and we have seen the grave effects the virus has had on this group.

"Making vaccines a condition of deployment is something many care homes have called for, to help them provide greater protection for staff and residents in older people's care homes and so save lives.

"The vaccine is already preventing deaths and is our route out of this pandemic. We have a duty of care to those most vulnerable to COVID-19, so it is right we consider all options to keep people safe."

The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its official the uk is a fascist state

Reply privately

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

"Its official the uk is a fascist state "

Did you say the same when it became mandatory for al NHS staff to be vaccinated against Hep B?

Reply privately

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

"Its official the uk is a fascist state

Did you say the same when it became mandatory for al NHS staff to be vaccinated against Hep B?"

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

and you came to that conclusion why ??

a simple look in the dictionary will tell you what fascism means and as a country we are a zillion miles away from that thank god

Reply privately

By *lan157Man
over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Seems reasonable to protect our relatives in nursing homes .

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Please define fascism and explain how it applies to the UK. Show your working and reasoning.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Seems reasonable to protect our relatives in nursing homes . "

and the staff too

Reply privately

By * Your PleasureMan
over a year ago

Sounds reasonable to me, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to be vaccinated against possible death!

Reply privately

over a year ago

As we all get older we may need to go into a care home! Shouldn't we want the people who look after us to be as protected as they can be to help protect us in our old age?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I do community work with the elderly and offered to stand down until I've been vaccinated.

Seemed to be the least I could do.

Reply privately

By *xhib12Man
over a year ago

Blyth

You obviously have no idea what fascism is, however you do win today's prize for 'most ridiculous comment'. Well done.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Am I missing something? It only helps to prevent an individual from getting a serious case not from contracting or passing it on. I can understand all residents but surely testing workers is more important? I'm not against such an idea btw.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Am I missing something? It only helps to prevent an individual from getting a serious case not from contracting or passing it on. I can understand all residents but surely testing workers is more important? I'm not against such an idea btw."

The building evidence suggests it might well reduce transmission.

Reply privately

over a year ago

and you came to that conclusion why ??

a simple look in the dictionary will tell you what fascism means and as a country we are a zillion miles away from that thank god "

only to those that dont want vaccine antivax stuff

Reply privately

over a year ago

Plenty of sheeple here

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

Even if that were true it’s a better alternative to being a communist state...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Am I missing something? It only helps to prevent an individual from getting a serious case not from contracting or passing it on. I can understand all residents but surely testing workers is more important? I'm not against such an idea btw.

The building evidence suggests it might well reduce transmission."

I see, it's something of a no brainer then.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Plenty of sheeple here "

Got any evidence for that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seems common sense to me

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

You only just realised

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Did you say the same when it became mandatory for al NHS staff to be vaccinated against Hep B?"

Different bloody scenario

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Place is full of them

Reply privately

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

Exactly. It's mandatory for us. It's all about protecting ourselves and others. If someone decides to work in care you have a duty to those you care for. Obvious exception is those who can't have it on medical grounds

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"Am I missing something? It only helps to prevent an individual from getting a serious case not from contracting or passing it on. I can understand all residents but surely testing workers is more important? I'm not against such an idea btw."

You frequently come into contact with many pathogenic virus... they enter your body every day but your immune system has learnt to recognise these and quickly counters them before they get established and start significantly replicating. Vaccines train your immune system, you may still have Covid particles enter you but if your immune response to the vaccine (or previous infection) has been good then it is very very unlikely for you to become a significant spreader of the virus. This is currently down played so those who have been vaccinated don’t stop ignoring the rules, seeing them would encourage poorer compliance amongst those still unvaccinated.

To give the best protection to those in care both the patient and the caregiver need to be fully vaccinated.

Reply privately

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Did you say the same when it became mandatory for al NHS staff to be vaccinated against Hep B?

Exactly. It's mandatory for us. It's all about protecting ourselves and others. If someone decides to work in care you have a duty to those you care for. Obvious exception is those who can't have it on medical grounds "

What rubbish

Reply privately

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My friends mum is in a nursing home and she has refused to allow her mum to be vaccinated and has refused to get the vaccination herself due to being against it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Am I missing something? It only helps to prevent an individual from getting a serious case not from contracting or passing it on. I can understand all residents but surely testing workers is more important? I'm not against such an idea btw.

You frequently come into contact with many pathogenic virus... they enter your body every day but your immune system has learnt to recognise these and quickly counters them before they get established and start significantly replicating. Vaccines train your immune system, you may still have Covid particles enter you but if your immune response to the vaccine (or previous infection) has been good then it is very very unlikely for you to become a significant spreader of the virus. This is currently down played so those who have been vaccinated don’t stop ignoring the rules, seeing them would encourage poorer compliance amongst those still unvaccinated.

To give the best protection to those in care both the patient and the caregiver need to be fully vaccinated."

Thanks for the concise response

Reply privately

over a year ago

To give the best protection to those in care both the patient and the caregiver need to be fully vaccinated."

How do you explain Texas, Florida, Sweden among others all fully open with no mask mandate, no vax passports with falling cases?

Reply privately

By *eardAndTheBratCouple
over a year ago

Calne

So... How many people on this are trained medical or pharmaceutical staff?

This feels like its of hot air being blown around by people who know a few big words and have suddenly decided they're an expert.

Reply privately

By *lan157Man
over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

"Seems reasonable to protect our relatives in nursing homes .

My friends mum is in a nursing home and she has refused to allow her mum to be vaccinated and has refused to get the vaccination herself due to being against it."

Does your friend's mother not have her own voice ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

My friends mum is in a nursing home and she has refused to allow her mum to be vaccinated and has refused to get the vaccination herself due to being against it."

everyone has a choice but depending on how things go dont be suppried if they are asked to leave ... i have seen this happen already as the providers/managers are trying to protect everyone..

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/04/21 17:03:08]

Reply privately

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

Testing won't stop people passing the virus on. No vaccination is 100% effective but this reduces severity which is key to keeping our elderly safe. Vaccination and testing need to both be done

Reply privately

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

My friends mum is in a nursing home and she has refused to allow her mum to be vaccinated and has refused to get the vaccination herself due to being against it.

Does your friend's mother not have her own voice ? "

She may not have capacity. Many elderly people in care suffer from dementia

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

She may not have capacity. Many elderly people in care suffer from dementia"

I can't imagine denying a vulnerable relative standard of care.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Please define fascism and explain how it applies to the UK. Show your working and reasoning."

I dont agree with his comment about a fascist state but he has a point. Shouting down other views because you dont agree with them = thats fasicm defined

Reply privately

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

As a carer I consider it my responsibility to do everything I can to mitigate the risks to the people I care for.

It really boils my piss that some of our staff have refused to get vaccinated. Strangely enough they are the same staff that show little care for our residents, treat them as an annoyance and are just turning up for the pay check.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Please define fascism and explain how it applies to the UK. Show your working and reasoning.

I dont agree with his comment about a fascist state but he has a point. Shouting down other views because you dont agree with them = thats fasicm defined "

What's his point?

What views have I shouted down? I asked him to explain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I dont agree with his comment about a fascist state but he has a point. Shouting down other views because you dont agree with them = thats fasicm defined "

no one shut his views down it was just called out ..

play nice guys we all have views and rightly so ...its a debate nothing more nothing less

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I do community work with the elderly and offered to stand down until I've been vaccinated.

Seemed to be the least I could do."

You could get the vaccine possibly, I'll message you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

She may not have capacity. Many elderly people in care suffer from dementia"

My Grandad missed out on the initial appointment offered to him because my Covid denier mother deleted an answerphone message offering him the appointment. My Grandad was 100% mentally competent. He was offered a further appointment on 22nd Jan. That was the day he was admitted to hospital with Covid, caught from my Covid denying mother and her denier husband. My Grandad died of Covid on 25th January. Covid denier stepfather died the following week, denying till the last. Mother still denies. I would like her prosecuted for preventing Grandad timely access to healthcare but apparently you can't do that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I dont agree with his comment about a fascist state but he has a point. Shouting down other views because you dont agree with them = thats fasicm defined

play nice guys we all have views and rightly so ...its a debate nothing more nothing less"

Just proves my point.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

play nice guys we all have views and rightly so ...its a debate nothing more nothing less

Just proves my point. "

What point is being proven?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is the same going to apply to care home visitors? Surely it should?

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Just like you said New Zealand is

Reply privately

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Different bloody scenario "

Not remotely different.

To have my career in the NHS I had to have the BCG (didn’t get it at school for a random reason) and HepB vax. Otherwise no career in that field.

Exactly the same here with this one.

People are free not to be vaccinated, but if you want specific careers there are often things that come as part of it. This is one of them

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Different bloody scenario

Not remotely different.

To have my career in the NHS I had to have the BCG (didn’t get it at school for a random reason) and HepB vax. Otherwise no career in that field.

Exactly the same here with this one.

People are free not to be vaccinated, but if you want specific careers there are often things that come as part of it. This is one of them "

Yup. Agreed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So is there a plan to sack all staff that decline to be vaccinated? Only asking as I haven't heard anything similar being proposed in Wales atn so interested to know what Englands plans are

I work in a care home btw and have had both jabs

Reply privately

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

Reply privately

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Disagreeing with someone is not shouting them down.

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

You obviously have no idea what fascism is, however you do win today's prize for 'most ridiculous comment'. Well done."

Reply privately

By * AND R 777Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

You obviously have no idea what fascism is, however you do win today's prize for 'most ridiculous comment'. Well done."

It is a ridiculous comment, but today there is a thred that says cheese is racist I think that wins today prize

Reply privately

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Does your friend's mother not have her own voice ? "

No, she has dementia so therefore my friend has the right to make choices for her.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, she has dementia so therefore my friend has the right to make choices for her."

If your friend has Power of Attorney for her mother's health then it's a difficult area, if she doesn't and is just next of kin or DOLs RPR, a doctor can overrule her decision if they believe it is in her mothers best interests to have the vaccine

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

No, she has dementia so therefore my friend has the right to make choices for her.

If your friend has Power of Attorney for her mother's health then it's a difficult area, if she doesn't and is just next of kin or DOLs RPR, a doctor can overrule her decision if they believe it is in her mothers best interests to have the vaccine "

PoA can be challenged by medical professionals if they think that the Attorney isn't making decisions in the best interest of the patient, but this requires legal intervention obviously.

Reply privately

By *ixieUKMan
over a year ago

MORDEN

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I had to agree to be vaccinated before I could be employed at my care home job. I had no issue with that as had already had my first vaccine anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

How is it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If your friend has Power of Attorney for her mother's health then it's a difficult area, if she doesn't and is just next of kin or DOLs RPR, a doctor can overrule her decision if they believe it is in her mothers best interests to have the vaccine

PoA can be challenged by medical professionals if they think that the Attorney isn't making decisions in the best interest of the patient, but this requires legal intervention obviously."

That's right

It is a difficult, complex area

Reply privately

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

Really

Reply privately

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

Bahhh...

Reply privately

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

No it's not

Reply privately

over a year ago

The company I work for already has it as a requirement in their contract for new starters.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The company I work for already has it as a requirement in their contract for new starters."

Its stated that refusing the vaccination programme will put service users/residents at risk.

Although on the other side, if a resident refuses the vaccine, they will not be expected to find another home.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There are many ethical questions to be raised about mandatory vaccinations. Not just for care staff but also supported people.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Really "

Yes had you not realised? Taking measures to stop people getting ill or dying is a fascist thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As a carer I consider it my responsibility to do everything I can to mitigate the risks to the people I care for.

It really boils my piss that some of our staff have refused to get vaccinated. Strangely enough they are the same staff that show little care for our residents, treat them as an annoyance and are just turning up for the pay check."

Their body, their choice.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There are many ethical questions to be raised about mandatory vaccinations. Not just for care staff but also supported people. "

Absolutely!

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"As a carer I consider it my responsibility to do everything I can to mitigate the risks to the people I care for.

It really boils my piss that some of our staff have refused to get vaccinated. Strangely enough they are the same staff that show little care for our residents, treat them as an annoyance and are just turning up for the pay check.

Their body, their choice. "

It's not the choice of vulnerable care home residents to be infected by staff who may be unvaccinated and bring the virus into a close-care facility. Mandatory Hep B vaccines are already required in large areas of the health service, with staff having to prove immunity via antibody tests.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Their body, their choice. "

Their body, their choice to find another job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The company I work for already has it as a requirement in their contract for new starters.

Its stated that refusing the vaccination programme will put service users/residents at risk.

Although on the other side, if a resident refuses the vaccine, they will not be expected to find another home."

Surely it should also be a requirement for residents, to protect staff who may not be able to have the vaccine for medical reasons? And definitely for visitors. No jabs, no visits

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"The company I work for already has it as a requirement in their contract for new starters."
yup I had to agree to this when I started my new job x

Reply privately

By *etWetWet453Couple
over a year ago

CAMBERLEY

Why is it that you refer to people, who happen to believe in something, as `sheeple,` when the flock of people who dis believe, like you do, could equally be termed `sheeple?`

Reply privately

over a year ago

"from sky news

Care home staff in England could be forced to get a vaccine, the government has said.

The Department of Health and Social Care has launched a consultation on making vaccination a condition of deployment for care home staff.

A five-week consultation will seek views and a decision is expected this summer.

According to experts from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), 80% of staff and 90% of residents need to be vaccinated to provide a minimum level of protection against COVID outbreaks.

Latest vaccination figures from NHS England show that 78.9% of older adult care home staff have had a jab.

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Older people living in care homes are most at risk of suffering serious consequences of COVID-19 and we have seen the grave effects the virus has had on this group.

"Making vaccines a condition of deployment is something many care homes have called for, to help them provide greater protection for staff and residents in older people's care homes and so save lives.

"The vaccine is already preventing deaths and is our route out of this pandemic. We have a duty of care to those most vulnerable to COVID-19, so it is right we consider all options to keep people safe."

The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds."

I have no problem with vaccines as have had loads over the yrs,for different destinations etc but this one I have found the clinical trials are still on going and I think I will wait until they finish, just my choice, family have taken it etc so until the trials are over maybe it should not be mandatory?

I have some issues with hand sanitisers however, as you need to get “good” bacteria into the body, it boosts immune system, also with social distancing you fail to pick up colds etc that trains the immune system and my fear is now immune systems low we will see people getting sick for things they would normally be ok with, just an opinion, know it may be wrong also just wondering if others thought the same?

Reply privately

By *yn drwgMan
over a year ago

Camarthen

Care home workers have been tested at least weekly since Christmas!

I don't particularly want the vaccine but will be having it to protect my elderly family.

Reply privately

By *nterracialDesiresCouple (MM)
over a year ago

London / Essex

One cannot compare the two. The Hep B vaccine is not mRNA. Look it up.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

One cannot compare the two. The Hep B vaccine is not mRNA. Look it up."

Neither is the Oxford vaccine.

And they're all fully approved by the same regulatory body.

Look it up. Hope this helps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ding ding I'll take "things that the uneducated say when they've not got a valid argument."

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

One cannot compare the two. The Hep B vaccine is not mRNA. Look it up."

Do you even know what mRNA is or what its function is??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The company I work for already has it as a requirement in their contract for new starters.

Although on the other side, if a resident refuses the vaccine, they will not be expected to find another home.

Surely it should also be a requirement for residents, to protect staff who may not be able to have the vaccine for medical reasons? And definitely for visitors. No jabs, no visits "

I am unsure about this, it was obviously a question that came up at work when we were discussing. Say person A came to a residential home pre covid, pay privately, then survived the first wave and a vaccine is offered and they refuse, still having capacity to do so, I'm not sure what would happen in that situation.

*Disclaimer, that was just all hypothetical, and just a discussion we literally had the other day.

Reply privately

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

However....everyone who has an opposing viewpoint has voiced it, has in some cases shown evidence , but supporters have done nothing but name call, no reply to queries & no explanation. Just saying.

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

How can you be so ignorant?

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Reply privately

over a year ago

I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!"
Well all visitors should have to be vaccinated to that would be fair surely

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of all the creeping infringements on our liberties and privileges, being offered a free vaccination against at a worldwide health risk and being “discriminated” against for not taking it when you have no good reason not to, is waaaay down the list.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!Well all visitors should have to be vaccinated to that would be fair surely"

In the care home I work visitors have to provide proof of a negative test before they are allowed to visit a relative.

They are happy to do so in order to protect the residents.

Happily all the staff are fully vaccinated.

V

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Of all the creeping infringements on our liberties and privileges, being offered a free vaccination against at a worldwide health risk and being “discriminated” against for not taking it when you have no good reason not to, is waaaay down the list."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!Well all visitors should have to be vaccinated to that would be fair surely

In the care home I work visitors have to provide proof of a negative test before they are allowed to visit a relative.

V"

We test all visitors and staff Everyone is very happy to do this and my staff have all had both vaccines. My point was if it’s to be made compulsory it needs to be for anyone entering a care home xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/04/21 22:44:41]

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!Well all visitors should have to be vaccinated to that would be fair surely

V

We test all visitors and staff Everyone is very happy to do this and my staff have all had both vaccines. My point was if it’s to be made compulsory it needs to be for anyone entering a care home xx"

I personally think that staff have the duty of care and thus have the greatest responsibility.

(I'll be having the jabs)

Reply privately

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

Exactly. It's mandatory for us. It's all about protecting ourselves and others. If someone decides to work in care you have a duty to those you care for. Obvious exception is those who can't have it on medical grounds

What rubbish "

It’s rubbish that people who choose to work in care have a duty of care to the people they care for?

Wow ... suppose teachers have no duty of care for their kids of doctors for their patients.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

V

We test all visitors and staff Everyone is very happy to do this and my staff have all had both vaccines. My point was if it’s to be made compulsory it needs to be for anyone entering a care home xx"

There's an argument for that, but staff who will be spending many hours with residents, providing close personal care and who will move between many tens of residents in a given day/shift are also arguably far more likely to spread the virus to a resident than a family member who visits one person, outdoors or indoors 1:1, with social distancing and PPE etc.

Also I suppose it's too easy for visitors to fake having the vaccine, there's no way homes can check medical records of visitors and the only "proof" people have is a piece of cardboard that can very easily be faked.

Reply privately

By *hatawasteMan
over a year ago

stafford

Are you not catching on?

Quite a few people the other day proved to you that it wasn't?

Reply privately

By *hatawasteMan
over a year ago

stafford

"from sky news

The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds."

*claps

Finally the government are actually growing a pair!

Surely everyone must realise that there will now be certain job roles where a vaccination and booster each year is going to become mandatory..

Has to happen.. People who are old and vulnerable health is at stake.. So I'd say its justified.

Look.. The fact is we get to chose our jobs based on whether we can do them /happy with conditions and the terms of employment.. That's why not everyone cleans the drains, works on oil rigs, high up ladders, gutting fish in a factory or deep in a hole underground.. We chose what we do based on the rules..

This is just re establishing them.. You want to work in care, NHS, teaching, and other roles.. Get the jab.. If not don't..you and I both have the right to do that.. That's okay with me too.

I'm perfectly happy with changing the rules to suit the changes we are going through as should everyone else be..

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It would be good to have staff provided with good education and counselling on this, rather than using force and potential unemployment.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It would be good to have staff provided with good education and counselling on this, rather than using force and potential unemployment. "

I'd prefer that, but ultimately I think the vulnerable need protection...

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"It would be good to have staff provided with good education and counselling on this, rather than using force and potential unemployment. "
Sweet there is enough info being given out every day

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"It would be good to have staff provided with good education and counselling on this, rather than using force and potential unemployment.

I'd prefer that, but ultimately I think the vulnerable need protection..."

I would find it odd if someone working in the care sector had not already had the relevant information shared and was ignorant of the issue, but then again the other day, the news said 2 in 5 people couldn't identify the main symptoms of Covid-19, which blew my mind

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It would be good to have staff provided with good education and counselling on this, rather than using force and potential unemployment.

I would find it odd if someone working in the care sector had not already had the relevant information shared and was ignorant of the issue, but then again the other day, the news said 2 in 5 people couldn't identify the main symptoms of Covid-19, which blew my mind "

Yes.

I'm not sure what people know. Public education is important, and I think empowering people is necessary. But ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere and I think the bar for caring for vulnerable people should be fairly high.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I saw for myself the devastating effect of covid when it hit our care home in Nov/Dec of last year. It was a truly frightening time.

After that, every member of staff and 99% of residents chose to have both vaccinations.

Having become very ill with covid I’d gladly have yearly boosters rather than go through it ever again.

Families of our residents are also choosing to be vaccinated.

As far as I’m concerned it IS a duty of care. If you are not prepared to be vaccinated don’t come into the profession. It’s a vocation, you do the job because you want to protect life, not endanger it.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I saw for myself the devastating effect of covid when it hit our care home in Nov/Dec of last year. It was a truly frightening time.

After that, every member of staff and 99% of residents chose to have both vaccinations.

Having become very ill with covid I’d gladly have yearly boosters rather than go through it ever again.

As far as I’m concerned it IS a duty of care. If you are not prepared to be vaccinated don’t come into the profession. It’s a vocation, you do the job because you want to protect life, not endanger it."

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I would find it odd if someone working in the care sector had not already had the relevant information shared and was ignorant of the issue, but then again the other day, the news said 2 in 5 people couldn't identify the main symptoms of Covid-19, which blew my mind "

... I probably couldn't name all 20 listed on the symptom tracker. Am I bad?

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

I would find it odd if someone working in the care sector had not already had the relevant information shared and was ignorant of the issue, but then again the other day, the news said 2 in 5 people couldn't identify the main symptoms of Covid-19, which blew my mind

... I probably couldn't name all 20 listed on the symptom tracker. Am I bad? "

The question was the main triad of symptoms - temperature, new continuous cough and loss of taste/smell. That's what 2 in 5 could not identify apparently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"I saw for myself the devastating effect of covid when it hit our care home in Nov/Dec of last year. It was a truly frightening time.

As far as I’m concerned it IS a duty of care. If you are not prepared to be vaccinated don’t come into the profession. It’s a vocation, you do the job because you want to protect life, not endanger it."

*Applause*

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... I probably couldn't name all 20 listed on the symptom tracker. Am I bad?

The question was the main triad of symptoms - temperature, new continuous cough and loss of taste/smell. That's what 2 in 5 could not identify apparently. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Should a 25 year-old female carer who is trying for a baby have to have the vaccine when advise is for pregnant ladies not to have it?

Should that carer have to tell her employer she is trying for a baby in order to be exempt?

This would be sex discrimination under current legislation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"Should a 25 year-old female carer who is trying for a baby have to have the vaccine when advise is for pregnant ladies not to have it?

Should that carer have to tell her employer she is trying for a baby in order to be exempt?

This would be sex discrimination under current legislation."

There's no advice not to have the vaccine if trying to get pregnant. Pregnant women can have the vaccine if they're in a high risk group, but obviously the benefits vs risks are to be weighed up by the woman with a medical professional. But trying for a baby and being pregnant are two totally different things and women who are of child bearing age and not pregnant have no special considerations to take outside of the same screening questions we ask all patients.

Reply privately

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

No carers should be forced to have the vaccine. The same as no nurse or doctor are forced to have hep b and other jabs before working for the nhs. But it is a condition of their employment that they have them hence no jabs no job (unless valid medical conditions).

How would you feel if your elderly family member had to go into care through no fault of their own or yours and while in care a worker looking after them who had not been vaccinated passed covid onto them and they died.

Anyone who intends to work in care and with the vulnerable should have every jab available to them for the safety of their own families and the patients they work with. It would be like a construction firm letting a person operate heavy plant machinery on a busy building site with no training or experience. Basically an accident waiting to happen. Also i think insurance companies who insure care homes and the like may have something to say in reguards to the public and patient liabity policies they issue. If you have staff not vaccinated and a patient dies then you d have no cover .

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"No carers should be forced to have the vaccine. The same as no nurse or doctor are forced to have hep b and other jabs before working for the nhs. But it is a condition of their employment that they have them hence no jabs no job (unless valid medical conditions).

How would you feel if your elderly family member had to go into care through no fault of their own or yours and while in care a worker looking after them who had not been vaccinated passed covid onto them and they died.

Anyone who intends to work in care and with the vulnerable should have every jab available to them for the safety of their own families and the patients they work with. It would be like a construction firm letting a person operate heavy plant machinery on a busy building site with no training or experience. Basically an accident waiting to happen. Also i think insurance companies who insure care homes and the like may have something to say in reguards to the public and patient liabity policies they issue. If you have staff not vaccinated and a patient dies then you d have no cover ."

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"How would you feel if your elderly family member had to go into care through no fault of their own or yours and while in care a worker looking after them who had not been vaccinated passed covid onto them and they died."

I'd be devastated of course.

I would question why said individual was providing care to vulnerable adults, and would commence legal proceedings against both the home and also the individual after seeking legal counsel of course.

I'd also inform CQC immediately.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Old news!

Several care home companies have already said that you will not be welcome to work for them, should you choose not to have the vaccine.

My company has done the same.

Reply privately

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

"Should a 25 year-old female carer who is trying for a baby have to have the vaccine when advise is for pregnant ladies not to have it?

This would be sex discrimination under current legislation."

Someone who was exempt would be able to get a letter from their GP staying such.

Shielding letters, for example, didn’t detail why someone was being advised to shield, just that they were.

There’s no reason that vaccine exemptions would have any detailing on them.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Can my employer force me to have the Covid-19 vaccine?

Employers will most likely seek to encourage employees to take up the vaccine, without making it compulsory.

However, depending on the type of work you do, and sectors that you work in, it may be within your employer’s legal right to take action if you are not going to be vaccinated and they think there are good reasons why you should be.

For example, this might apply to people working in healthcare or care home settings. In some circumstances, depending on the terms between the employee and employer, employees could in fact be dismissed for refusing the vaccination if it means they will present a threat to themselves, patients or service users.

Reply privately

By *uttyjonnMan
over a year ago

cheshire

It would be interesting to see what would happen if an employer coerced an existing employee to have the jab and they subsequently died from a blood clot

I doubt their insurance would pay out on any damages being sought, I assume companies will be looking at the legal implications before trying to enforce this

Reply privately

over a year ago

Absolutely unacceptable and an infringement of civil liberties.

Reply privately

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"Absolutely unacceptable and an infringement of civil liberties. "

Why is it an infringement of civil libities???

If an vulnerable person is being cared for and becomes ill from someone that is not vaccinated or for that matter comes into work with flu or another desease isn t that the persons right to refuse to let them anywhere near them ??? And if they did become ill or even die isn t the families right to seek recompence. Ie these days sue that person and thier company for negligence

Reply privately

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Again, did you say the same when the HepB vaccine was made compulsory for NHs staff?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It would be interesting to see what would happen if an employer coerced an existing employee to have the jab and they subsequently died from a blood clot

I doubt their insurance would pay out on any damages being sought, I assume companies will be looking at the legal implications before trying to enforce this "

Good point

Reply privately

over a year ago

V

We test all visitors and staff Everyone is very happy to do this and my staff have all had both vaccines. My point was if it’s to be made compulsory it needs to be for anyone entering a care home xx

There's an argument for that, but staff who will be spending many hours with residents, providing close personal care and who will move between many tens of residents in a given day/shift are also arguably far more likely to spread the virus to a resident than a family member who visits one person, outdoors or indoors 1:1, with social distancing and PPE etc.

Also I suppose it's too easy for visitors to fake having the vaccine, there's no way homes can check medical records of visitors and the only "proof" people have is a piece of cardboard that can very easily be faked. "

What about when visiting restrictions are relaxed and family members are permitted to have close contact indoors again. I agree, surely they should also have to be vaccinated to ensure their relative and other vulnerable residents are protected? This should also have to apply to any other outside professionals visiting the home. GPs, District Nurses, Chiropodists, Social Workers, Hairdressers etc all of whom have close contact with residents and see/ visit potentially 100s of different people, places etc in a single day. Seems a bit of a wasted effort to force the care home staff to take up the vaccine then allowing other potentially unvaccinated people to wander in and out

Reply privately

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I don't get why this is so controversial. For decades we have had to have mandatory vacancies to travel to various destinations. And in some industries It is again mandatory to get a multitude vaccinations to be able to work.

This isn't even about protecting the workers themselves, it's about protecting their vulnerable charges.... If someone wants to make a moral argument about why they should be allowed to kill grannies, then I think they're pretty callous!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Surely it should also be a requirement for residents, to protect staff who may not be able to have the vaccine for medical reasons? And definitely for visitors. No jabs, no visits

I am unsure about this, it was obviously a question that came up at work when we were discussing. Say person A came to a residential home pre covid, pay privately, then survived the first wave and a vaccine is offered and they refuse, still having capacity to do so, I'm not sure what would happen in that situation.

*Disclaimer, that was just all hypothetical, and just a discussion we literally had the other day."

Maybe they could have to remain isolated in their room then and not be permitted to use communal areas, in order to protect vulnerable residents who may not be medically able to take the vaccine, as opposed to serving them notice to leave

Reply privately

over a year ago

People don't whine about taking whatever vaccinations / innoculations are required for various world travels. If you join the military you are given a cocktail of jabs to protect you wherever you might serve. Public sector workers are offered and some required to have various jabs for their work environment. Care workers are there to care for vulnerable people, which includes protecting them from whatever shite you might transmit to them. If you can't live with that, don't be a carer.

Reply privately

By *inky_CarpenterMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

In what world is politely asking questions for clarification the definition of racism?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Slippery slope

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Absolutely unacceptable and an infringement of civil liberties.

Again, did you say the same when the HepB vaccine was made compulsory for NHs staff? "

i had no idea that was a thing but on principle yes

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"Its official the uk is a fascist state How can you be so ignorant?"

He practices a lot

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Just like you said New Zealand is "

I think he's just discovered the word lol

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"I manage a care home and I agree staff should be vaccinated after watching how quickly it affects and kills the elderly. However how can we insist on staff all being vaccinated but letting visitors in who haven’t been surely they are just as much risk as staff !!!!Well all visitors should have to be vaccinated to that would be fair surely"
no I disagree. They are purely visitors and have strict limitations to the contact. And not all visitors will be eligible where as all care staff are.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Slippery slope "

A slippery slope to what? Prevention of disease?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"As we all get older we may need to go into a care home! Shouldn't we want the people who look after us to be as protected as they can be to help protect us in our old age? "

And here's one of the issues. A year ago we were all too happy blaming central govt for the horribly high spread of infection and death in our care homes... Partly Because care homes had become pretty lax with infection control, ppe, hand washing, isolation and so on... Hopefully a year later some of those processes are a bit better now and baked in to operating policies. And they are now safer places for our elderly and infirm to be. Now care homes have an opportunity to take a further step. It is surely negligent of them if they don't. If the ops stats are accurate... 79% of older care staff... Why only 79 %? And what about the younger care staff?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

In what world is politely asking questions for clarification the definition of racism?"

If fascism is asking all care home staff to do all they can so they don't infect and kill their residents... We don't have much to worry about on the fascism front do we.?

I can see the protests in London now... "stop keeping our care homes safe"...

"what do we want?" "COVID"

"when do we want it?" "NOW"

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

In what world is politely asking questions for clarification the definition of racism?

If fascism is asking all care home staff to do all they can so they don't infect and kill their residents... We don't have much to worry about on the fascism front do we.?

I can see the protests in London now... "stop keeping our care homes safe"...

"what do we want?" "COVID"

"when do we want it?" "NOW" "

No apparently I'm fascist for asking questions.

Fear me

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can everyone prove they are HIV negative?

Surely it's the moral thing to do considering the purpose of this sight?

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"Can everyone prove they are HIV negative?

"

Are you OK sir??.Seriously I'm a bit worried . You can tell us if something is wrong .

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

Was at last test, would be happy to be tested again, no skin off my nose

Reply privately

over a year ago

and the staff too"

I think the difference is staff choose to be there and often residents don't.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

if you're job was fucking and swapping body fluids with others then yes it would be the moral thing to do.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

if you're job was fucking and swapping body fluids with others then yes it would be the moral thing to do. "

I believe it's industry standard in porn

Reply privately

over a year ago

Surely it should also be a requirement for residents, to protect staff who may not be able to have the vaccine for medical reasons? And definitely for visitors. No jabs, no visits "

Only around 2% of the adult population are unable to have any of vaccinations currently available.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

What about the civil liberties of the people they are caring for, surely they should be protected from the virus.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fascist for the right reasons as it happens

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Most of the care homes I know of, you have to have an onsite test before entering the visiting pod.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Please define fascism and explain how it applies to the UK. Show your working and reasoning."

You probably couldn’t find a state more afraid of the suggestion let alone the trappings of fascism, much to its detriment on occasions

Ironically the states that are supposedly the most opposite i.e communist are perhaps the most prime examples of fascist behaviour

China, North Korea, the good old Ruskies etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Doctor

"Here take this pill please"

Idiot

"Why?"

Doctor

"Because it's important and we need you to take "

Idiot stamps feet and sticks out bottom lip

"But I don't want to take it and you can't make me"

Doctor

"Look by taking this pill it could potentially save your life and the lives of thousands others including family friends and elderly vulnerable people, please take it."

Idiot

"NO! Facist"

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

You probably couldn’t find a state more afraid of the suggestion let alone the trappings of fascism, much to its detriment on occasions

Ironically the states that are supposedly the most opposite i.e communist are perhaps the most prime examples of fascist behaviour

China, North Korea, the good old Ruskies etc "

I personally think UK rhetoric and ideology is firmly against fascism. I might quibble about trappings or some practices. (Not vaccination )

But throwing words around doesn't solve much - if the previous poster feels that way, I'd like to know on what grounds. (and for some reason I've been labelled a bully for doing so)

Reply privately

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

Paul needs to be vaccinated and carry a vaccination card to enter some Countries for work, has done for years.

He sees it as the company he works for protecting and caring for him not as any form of imposition.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Paul needs to be vaccinated and carry a vaccination card to enter some Countries for work, has done for years.

He sees it as the company he works for protecting and caring for him not as any form of imposition. "

This is my thinking.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Most of the care homes I know of, you have to have an onsite test before entering the visiting pod."

Again there's the issue. So visits restricted to one person one hour per week. All Visitors tested.

All staff not being tested every day.

Result. Mum caught it from a carer and died. It only works if everyone plays by the rules.

It's not hard. Everyone coming in... tested. As many as possible... Vaccinated.

Irrelevant to me but I'm fucking furious that someone's "freedom" to not be tested took away my mum and not only mine... Thousands of others.

Lets make it a proper care environment with adult behaviours and thought processes. It's not hard.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"from sky news

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and dont want to have jab you cant enforse any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom

Reply privately

By *luttyLaylaWoman
over a year ago

North West

"from sky news

The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds.

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and dont want to have jab you cant enforse any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom "

They’ll just go through consultation and change their contracts. Happens all the time and nothing can do if it’s done legally.

Everyone moaning cos it’s about covid but genuinely couldn’t care less when the NHS enforced other vaccines lol.

Anything for an argument these days!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"from sky news

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and dont want to have jab you cant enforse any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom "

Why is litigation a bad thing? It's how we prove what the law is in the specifics.

I predict the companies have a reasonable chance of success.

Oh noes people in healthcare have to minimise their risk to others 1984 Hitler apocalypse

Reply privately

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

It is not mandatory!!

It is strongly suggested! there is a very big legal difference there.

Taken from NHS site "People who work in certain jobs SHOULD be vaccinated against high-risk diseases they MAY be exposed to at work."

What they are talking about now is force, i.e. if you don't have the vaccine you'll have no job, add to that, if it is made forcibly mandatory throughout the industry then you also loose the choice to choose your work/means of earning - Human right.

it also leave the door wide open and makes it far easier to make it mandatory for all industries then that means anyone who doesn't will not be able to work anywhere, those people will be dragged into gangs and criminal activities just to get a meal.

You then have to start asking big questions most don't want to admit their government capable of, like

where does the legal limit to force medications upon citizens stop?

who decides what is a biological threat?

What treatments must be given? wouldn't be you.

put it this way, if you start down this road of forcing medical treatments what is to stop them from forcing the likes of a sterilization drug upon certain people using the excuses like "it's for the safety of the greater public, these people have family history of XYZ"

or the hot climate topic basis

"it is not mandatory to eat lab grown meat"

"It's for the safety of the existing public that we cannot allow our populations to grow any further."

issues with the climate ones is that it will directly affect their profits, that why none of them want to do it. Can't eat or drink money though.

(for whatever reason, it is their right to decide for themselves.)

Reply privately

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"from sky news

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and don't want to have jab you cant enforce any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom "

if this happens they NEED to find a human rights lawyer and go to court, they can all do what they like until they are challenged in law and it is proven it is illegal.

this is illegal under the highest international laws and the UK is NOT the only country trying to force this.

Put it this way, if all the countries can then force what ever they like upon citizens, what have you, me, the individual got left?

your a cog in a machine, an existence, your life is not your own when you cannot make decisions for your own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdGLWOIF0c

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"from sky news

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and don't want to have jab you cant enforce any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom

if this happens they NEED to find a human rights lawyer and go to court, they can all do what they like until they are challenged in law and it is proven it is illegal.

this is illegal under the highest international laws and the UK is NOT the only country trying to force this.

Put it this way, if all the countries can then force what ever they like upon citizens, what have you, me, the individual got left?

your a cog in a machine, an existence, your life is not your own when you cannot make decisions for your own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdGLWOIF0c"

The human rights regime the UK is under allows for vaccine mandates.

Sorry.

Reply privately

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"from sky news

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and don't want to have jab you cant enforce any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom

Sorry."

mandates are not forced. they are strongly advised, big legal difference there.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"from sky news

Sorry.

mandates are not forced. they are strongly advised, big legal difference there."

Mandate is "do this or criminal consequences".

Force is holding down.

Employment mandate is less than country/region mandate, it's "jab or no job".

Mandates are permitted under our human rights law. Sorry.

Reply privately

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds.

Doubt it. Precedent will be set so so clearly, and early.

I can't see why anyone against the vaccination program should be in nursing in the first place. Utterly contrary to their training and goals, and just shines a spotlight on their ethics and what else they may be doing against their patients interests.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The proposal would not include staff who are exempt from taking the vaccine on medical grounds.

Going to be a lot of unfair dissmisal claims esp for the carers who have original contracts and dont want to have jab you cant enforse any medical treatment so what next total control no freedom

Doubt it. Precedent will be set so so clearly, and early.

I can't see why anyone against the vaccination program should be in nursing in the first place. Utterly contrary to their training and goals, and just shines a spotlight on their ethics and what else they may be doing against their patients interests."

Care or healthcare of any kind. It blows my mind - it's against absolutely everything in their professional traditions.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"from sky news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdGLWOIF0c"

It sounds very dramatic for asking someone who is responsible for the health and safety of elderly and vulnerable close care patients to take the best reasonable care not to infect them with something that might kill them or make them seriously ill. If they aren't prepared to take such precautions there are plenty of other roles in a care home where I'm sure they can find work. It's not a drama, just adapting to what has been thrown at us. We had similar arguments a year ago about carers refusing to wear face masks. Things change. We need to change. It's no harder than that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"It sounds very dramatic for asking someone who is responsible for the health and safety of elderly and vulnerable close care patients to take the best reasonable care not to infect them with something that might kill them or make them seriously ill. If they aren't prepared to take such precautions there are plenty of other roles in a care home where I'm sure they can find work. It's not a drama, just adapting to what has been thrown at us. We had similar arguments a year ago about carers refusing to wear face masks. Things change. We need to change. It's no harder than that. "

Of course, we need to remember that not one scrap of the resistance is actually about intelligent nuances of vaccinations with the elderly etc. it's just people piling on to wrap the issue around the agenda they've been fed from bullshit, uninformed Facebook posts. Just like all the sudden care for mental health from them, when they couldn't have cared less about helping others before themselves beforehand. And they call *us* sheep.

Reply privately

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"from sky news

Sorry.

Force is holding down.

Mandates are permitted under our human rights law. Sorry."

not on medical grounds!

A judicial command, order, or precept, written or oral, from a court; a direction that a court has the authority to give and an individual is bound to obey.

Since when are businesses courts? businesses are bound by the rule OF law they are not above it, nor can the force the public to be ruled BY law.

legal terminologies are important.

and this is not the first time it has been attempted either, human rights won last time round and will do again because you'll have an international dictatorships if we allow it.

It's astonishing to me how many people do not value basic rights, that give them the freedoms to live how they do, mostly rose tinted glasses.

Reply privately

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"from sky news

It sounds very dramatic for asking someone who is responsible for the health and safety of elderly and vulnerable close care patients to take the best reasonable care not to infect them with something that might kill them or make them seriously ill. If they aren't prepared to take such precautions there are plenty of other roles in a care home where I'm sure they can find work. It's not a drama, just adapting to what has been thrown at us. We had similar arguments a year ago about carers refusing to wear face masks. Things change. We need to change. It's no harder than that. "

and you are making it way to simple, you cannot mitigate 100% against anything, provided the vast majority of staff and residents are vax'd then there is limited risk anyway...or why are we bothering with vaccines?

what is to stop a resident from saying no to a vaccine? it is their right to do so or did the staff all just jag them without asking first?

besides that, how about we talk about the health of the people working in care, you know those who aren't healthy themselves giving health advice to others or those care homes who cared not before the pandemic, giving residents very poor care and some abusive at high costs...hmm hypocrisy.

they only care now so they don't get sued by a relative.

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

"Slippery slope "
how and to what?

I support this idea

Reply privately

over a year ago

Birmingham

"Slippery slope

how and to what?

I support this idea "

https://fallacydetected.com/slippery-slope/

Reply privately

By *luttyLaylaWoman
over a year ago

North West

They can’t physically pin you down and force an injection.

But they can make it mandated. And they can then do a risk assessment which says it’s unsafe to do that job. And that isn’t discrimination

I’m all for EDUCATED, free choice.

But doesn’t mean you’ll still be able to do the same as everyone else

(Still struggling with how I feel about that!!)

Reply privately

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

"They can’t physically pin you down and force an injection.

But they can make it mandated. And they can then do a risk assessment which says it’s unsafe to do that job. And that isn’t discrimination

I’m all for EDUCATED, free choice.

But doesn’t mean you’ll still be able to do the same as everyone else

(Still struggling with how I feel about that!!) "

I'm the same or at least Paul is..

No vaccination, no travel.

No travel,no work.

In reality, not having the vaccines would be madness and allow himself to maybe contract some tropical, nasty disease.

I know some will fire back at me saying Covid is different, but is it really, its nasty and in some cases deadly, most virus fits into that category.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A dickhead as well, but hey, it's a free country

Reply privately

By *uckandbunnyCouple
over a year ago

In your bed

In the end the people in the care homes are buying a service either from their own money or money allocated to them from the state after a lifetime of paying taxes.

As someone buying a service they should be able to decided who they get that service from and what the quality of that service is especially if it effects their life chances.

Making it compulsory is only one option, another would be for service users to be able to request that their carers are vacinnated.

As the buyer they should be entitled to demand this from the supplier.

Others may not request this assurance and therefore those not wanting to be vacinnated could work in those settings and offer a service there.

Care home users or their advocates should be able to demand assurances around the safety of their environment.

Good old fashioned market forces can work to bring the service people want, the users of the service just need to be clear on their expectations when buying that service. Can't have suppliers telling the purchaser they can't have the service they want.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Experimental vaccines should NEVER be mandatory.

The government won't make it mandatory. They will rely on business and peer pressure to make people have it.

If you have a family member in the home and they've been vaccinated. Why does it matter if the carer hasn't?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"from sky news

Sorry.

Force is holding down.

Mandates are permitted under our human rights law. Sorry.

not on medical grounds!

A judicial command, order, or precept, written or oral, from a court; a direction that a court has the authority to give and an individual is bound to obey.

Since when are businesses courts? businesses are bound by the rule OF law they are not above it, nor can the force the public to be ruled BY law.

legal terminologies are important.

and this is not the first time it has been attempted either, human rights won last time round and will do again because you'll have an international dictatorships if we allow it.

It's astonishing to me how many people do not value basic rights, that give them the freedoms to live how they do, mostly rose tinted glasses. "

Businesses are not courts.

The courts have determined that government mandates are permissible. Business requirements are less than government mandates.

Medical exemptions are covered in the OP.

Rights are meaningless without responsibilities. And rights conflict. What's more important - the rights of the ill informed to avoid preventative care without any negative consequences, or the rights of the vulnerable to avoid preventable disease and death?

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"from sky news

And manslaughter charge's from family of people who died as a result of a worker refusing to get vaccinated.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"from sky news

It sounds very dramatic for asking someone who is responsible for the health and safety of elderly and vulnerable close care patients to take the best reasonable care not to infect them with something that might kill them or make them seriously ill. If they aren't prepared to take such precautions there are plenty of other roles in a care home where I'm sure they can find work. It's not a drama, just adapting to what has been thrown at us. We had similar arguments a year ago about carers refusing to wear face masks. Things change. We need to change. It's no harder than that.

and you are making it way to simple, you cannot mitigate 100% against anything, provided the vast majority of staff and residents are vax'd then there is limited risk anyway...or why are we bothering with vaccines?

what is to stop a resident from saying no to a vaccine? it is their right to do so or did the staff all just jag them without asking first?

besides that, how about we talk about the health of the people working in care, you know those who aren't healthy themselves giving health advice to others or those care homes who cared not before the pandemic, giving residents very poor care and some abusive at high costs...hmm hypocrisy.

they only care now so they don't get sued by a relative."

If I could sue the care home for the unnecessary death of my mum.... I'd do it in a heart beat. And that would get their attention. Next would be the carer who infected her. And the reason is really simple. If theyd have followed the protocols they told us they were following. She couldn't have been infected. The blasé attitude of those who have responsibility is breath taking. Sometimes things really are just that simple. Do the thing that minimises risks. Or don't do a close care job.

Reply privately

By *uffolksubWoman
over a year ago

Brandon

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's well past time that we expect people to conform to basic public health minimums if they're going to take care of our health, particularly those most vulnerable.

The idea that this is even up for question blows my mind. If you don't accept you need to be vaccinated, you should get out of healthcare, care, or social care. You obviously don't have the ethics to be there.

Reply privately