Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

2 metre social distance

Jump to newest

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

It occurs to me that too many people are misunderstanding the reasoning and concept of the 2 metre distance.

It's not a magic number. It's not that SARS-CoV-2 is deadly at 1.9 metres but stone dead at 2 metres. Think of it more like the stink from a fart. Up real close it's bad A bit further away, it's pongy but you can ignore it. 5 or 10 metres away you might not even notice it.

And it makes a big difference whether you're indoors - a fart in an elevator is never welcome, but even in a big room you're going to know if someone is having a farty time after too much beans for breakfast.

Outdoors, it depends which way the wind is blowing. If there's no breeze then the stinkiness might just slowly percolate outwards in all directions, but if you're directly downwind of a farter then you can receive it full force almost as soon as you hear it...

Also the danger level increases massively with the number of people. Two people passing at 2 metres in the street - even if it's a ripe one dropped, you probably won't notice when it's only a second or two at closest approach. But if there's a few hundred folk sat in a field, all spaced out in two metre squares, it doesn't take many of them continually tooting for it to spread out like a blanket. Whichever direction the breeze blows, somebody is going to be on the receiving end of last night's vindaloo...

Unfortunately the virus isn't stinky, so you don't know when you're exposed. But if you forget the two metres, instead treat everybody as a potential source of the most poisonous bottom-burps, then safety might be better assured...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I thought we had to be alert. Surely we'd smell it if the government are right?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Wander if you can get a spray that smells of rotten egg you could put it on befor going in to Tesco more might keep there distance

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

"It occurs to me that too many people are misunderstanding the reasoning and concept of the 2 metre distance.

It's not a magic number. It's not that SARS-CoV-2 is deadly at 1.9 metres but stone dead at 2 metres. Think of it more like the stink from a fart. Up real close it's bad A bit further away, it's pongy but you can ignore it. 5 or 10 metres away you might not even notice it.

And it makes a big difference whether you're indoors - a fart in an elevator is never welcome, but even in a big room you're going to know if someone is having a farty time after too much beans for breakfast.

Outdoors, it depends which way the wind is blowing. If there's no breeze then the stinkiness might just slowly percolate outwards in all directions, but if you're directly downwind of a farter then you can receive it full force almost as soon as you hear it...

Also the danger level increases massively with the number of people. Two people passing at 2 metres in the street - even if it's a ripe one dropped, you probably won't notice when it's only a second or two at closest approach. But if there's a few hundred folk sat in a field, all spaced out in two metre squares, it doesn't take many of them continually tooting for it to spread out like a blanket. Whichever direction the breeze blows, somebody is going to be on the receiving end of last night's vindaloo...

Unfortunately the virus isn't stinky, so you don't know when you're exposed. But if you forget the two metres, instead treat everybody as a potential source of the most poisonous bottom-burps, then safety might be better assured..."

Very good analogy

Only thing is I was having a sandwich while reading about fart, so that did not do any favours to my appetite, but I get your point

By *llabouttheladyMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I can smell my mate’s farts at 10m indoors and at 4m on the golf course on a calm day, does that make him a super spreader?

By *ark Knight 2017Man
over a year ago

Ware

I can smell something coming from the Gov... Yep Bullshit

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"It occurs to me that too many people are misunderstanding the reasoning and concept of the 2 metre distance.

Unfortunately the virus isn't stinky, so you don't know when you're exposed. But if you forget the two metres, instead treat everybody as a potential source of the most poisonous bottom-burps, then safety might be better assured..."

over a year ago

Stockport

"I can smell my mate’s farts at 10m indoors and at 4m on the golf course on a calm day, does that make him a super spreader?

"

Don't know about super spreader, but I'd stay well clear if he's been eating beans and drinking Guinness!

over a year ago

Stockport

I think this deserves wider readership.... so, bump...

By *reyyaMan
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

I would like to see the written scientific report that SAGE must have submitted to the Govt on the efficacy of the 2-metre distancing rule. The report that the Govt must have relied upon before introducing the rule.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

wasn't it a WHO recommendation?

By *heekyweebissimWoman
over a year ago

fife,

This is pretty much how I explained it to my friends 6 yr old and he got it.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I would like to see the written scientific report that SAGE must have submitted to the Govt on the efficacy of the 2-metre distancing rule. The report that the Govt must have relied upon before introducing the rule. "

It's standard infection control for any airborne pathogen, has been hard scientific evidence for years

By *reyyaMan
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"I would like to see the written scientific report that SAGE must have submitted to the Govt on the efficacy of the 2-metre distancing rule. The report that the Govt must have relied upon before introducing the rule.

It's standard infection control for any airborne pathogen, has been hard scientific evidence for years "

If what you say in your above comment is a fact then prior to the 2 metre distancing rule being introduced to the British public in 2020 in what previous year was this rule enforced in the United Kingdom?

By *reyyaMan
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

The answer is never.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The answer is never. "

So what?