Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Asymptomatic - how?

Jump to newest

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

A question for any medical professionals on Fab (I know there are some).

How do asymptomatic people pass on the virus?

A few things I have been pondering:

1. Evidence is growing that the vaccines not only protect the recipient but may also be reducing transmission.

2. We know that exposure to a high viral load is key to developing serious illness (which is why being outside is safer than inside and why frontline otherwise healthy doctors/nurses have gotten ill).

3. By definition if you are asymptomatic then you do not have a high viral load nor can you be transmitting a high viral load.

4. Yet current Govt comms talks about 1 in 3 being asymptomatic implying that they are just as dangerous and likely to spread Covid.

I cannot square that circle in my head.

Have asked in proper channels with no response so...

Anyone?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

kinky couple will hopefully be along to fill us in but i think it potentially falls down at number 3 - being asymptomatic doesn’t necessarily mean low viral loads - just bodies reacting differently i think

think of it like stds - loads of people get no symptoms but they still get passed about like wildfire

over a year ago

I think the short answer is, we don't know. As far as I know we don't have a way to predict who will be asymptomatic and who will have serious symptoms although ages is an important factor.

over a year ago

There is also another part to spreading covid, called viral shedding. This is how well you actually release the virus into the environment. So you might be able to have a high viral load but low viral shedding and vice versa.

Also I don't think asymptomatic means you have a low viral load just you don't have symptoms.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

It's 'Viable Viral Load' that is important.

"Not all ICU cases have 'High Viral Load'"

BMJ.

Susceptibility of the recipient (the person you may infect) is just as important.

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Interesting thanks for replies.

So a new term for me “Viable Viral Load”

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

I can't show the link here . . . but search a snippet of the text below.

COVID-19 is mostly a host-immune mediated disease – the viral load does not really impact on this in most cases. Not all ICU cases have high viral loads – in some, the virus has already cleared before they are even admitted to ICU.

“Asymptomatic cases can spread virus aerosols simply by breathing and talking, which may be the most common way we transmit this pathogen – even with just a typical viral load.

“We breathe and talk a lot more than we cough, so if everyone wears masks in indoor areas in the presence of other people it will also contain the virus quite effectively in those who don’t even know they are infected, and reduce transmission.”

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

This is also reflected on a few other Med sites.

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

There's quite a few diseases where one can carry and pass on.

Think of Typhoid Mary.

Other conditions such as C. Diff and Chlamydia have huge numbers of asymptomatic spreaders

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

"There's quite a few diseases where one can carry and pass on.

Think of Typhoid Mary.

Other conditions such as C. Diff and Chlamydia have huge numbers of asymptomatic spreaders"

I happen to have read about Mary a few months ago. Interesting story. Fiery character

By *ungry CatCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"I can't show the link here . . . but search a snippet of the text below.

COVID-19 is mostly a host-immune mediated disease – the viral load does not really impact on this in most cases. Not all ICU cases have high viral loads – in some, the virus has already cleared before they are even admitted to ICU.

“Asymptomatic cases can spread virus aerosols simply by breathing and talking, which may be the most common way we transmit this pathogen – even with just a typical viral load.

“We breathe and talk a lot more than we cough, so if everyone wears masks in indoor areas in the presence of other people it will also contain the virus quite effectively in those who don’t even know they are infected, and reduce transmission.”"

I'm sorry for interrupting but here's a direct link to a credible study showing that asymptomatic cases are responsible for less than 1% of all transmissions :

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6491/eabb6936

Article you've copy pasted have mixed up pre-symptomatic with asymptomatic. Two very different things as asymptomatic cases are in the vast majority - 86%!

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/20201009/86-percent-of-the-UKs-COVID-19-patients-have-no-symptoms.aspx

So to me the logical thing would be - every one who has health issues or are obese - should wear a mask indoors. Healthy individuals and children - should not.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/02/21 09:23:11]

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"

So to me the logical thing would be - every one who has health issues or are obese - should wear a mask indoors. Healthy individuals and children - should not.

"

If you mean wear a mask indoors? Then the common sense thing to do would be for everyone to wear a mask. Many Many People have died with no underlying health issues.

over a year ago

A virus so deadly 1 in 3 won't even know they have it

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"A virus so deadly 1 in 3 won't even know they have it "

And so many of those asymptomatics have given it to those who will die or have died from it.

And even after 12 months so many do not see the reality. Quite the thing really.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"A virus so deadly 1 in 3 won't even know they have it

And so many of those asymptomatics have given it to those who will die or have died from it.

And even after 12 months so many do not see the reality. Quite the thing really."

By *ungry CatCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 25/02/21 12:10:50]

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"A virus so deadly 1 in 3 won't even know they have it "

It's deadly to the people who die of it.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

It's deadly to the people who die of it."

After possibly catching it from someone who had no symptoms.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

It's deadly to the people who die of it.

After possibly catching it from someone who had no symptoms. "

And should have been wearing a mask.

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

And even after 12 months so many do not see the reality. Quite the thing really."

The mind boggles.

over a year ago

do not see the reality of what? I stated a fact that's all

over a year ago

"

This. 100%.

The first rule of Dunning-Kruger club is...

Post new Message to Thread