Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

No evidence schools increase infections

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Before jumping to our previously held positions on this. Please read the research by University of Warwick and University of Bristol....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56072460

Discuss...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

As it says in the report ‘there is an absence of evidence’, hence why twice weekly testing is being bought in for secondary schools. Time will tell whether asymptomatic spreaders or not

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think schools are a risk but a necessary one. Education of children is one of the most important things in society.

I do think more could be done to help schools (more masking, 50% in person instruction, ventilation). But I think schools opening should be top priority.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yawn it's bs schools are rife with everything going anyone with any sort of common sense would know this

over a year ago

Tin town

"Yawn it's bs schools are rife with everything going anyone with any sort of common sense would know this "

Did you read the link?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Interesting. It says absences were analysed, but does this include being sent home to self isolate (but working/studying online from home, so not absent), those who caught it but were able to continue studying/teaching online while ill (as I was, so not absent) and if the children/staff passed that on to members of the family who fared less well?

I agree with Swing

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

If schools were a priority then teachers should have received the vaccine .....

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"If schools were a priority then teachers should have received the vaccine ..... "

By *uksungCouple
over a year ago

wednesbury

[Removed by poster at 22/02/21 22:15:52]

over a year ago

Tin town

"Interesting. It says absences were analysed, but does this include being sent home to self isolate (but working/studying online from home, so not absent), those who caught it but were able to continue studying/teaching online while ill (as I was, so not absent) and if the children/staff passed that on to members of the family who fared less well?

I agree with Swing "

I guess that level of detail would be in the actual research paper rather than the beeb.

It is peculiar that with this plan teachers haven't been pumped up the list to get done next week for those that would have the jab... Given daily jab rates are dropping from a high of over 500k I'm guessing the younger ones are less keen to step forward. So there is capacity to do teachers... Especially in school holidays.

By *llabouttheladyMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Simple fact is, everything was going nicely until schools and Uni’s opened in September, then the shit hit the fan.

Biggest Covid outbreaks are in nursing homes followed by education establishments, ironically the same as flu year on year out (check out the flu report from phe).

I’ve got 2 kids - who until a couple of years ago were experts in spreading viruses within our family. I don’t buy this crap that kids don’t spread Covid either, my 2 brought it in to our house last March the week before lockdown.

The rate will go up again.

over a year ago

North West

"Interesting. It says absences were analysed, but does this include being sent home to self isolate (but working/studying online from home, so not absent), those who caught it but were able to continue studying/teaching online while ill (as I was, so not absent) and if the children/staff passed that on to members of the family who fared less well?

I agree with Swing

I guess that level of detail would be in the actual research paper rather than the beeb.

It is peculiar that with this plan teachers haven't been pumped up the list to get done next week for those that would have the jab... Given daily jab rates are dropping from a high of over 500k I'm guessing the younger ones are less keen to step forward. So there is capacity to do teachers... Especially in school holidays."

I shall go and scavenge out the original paper, ta. You'd think they can get teachers jabbed and the demand seems to be there from what I can see, but....... We don't make the rules!

By *llabouttheladyMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

No we don’t.

The clever yet lacking common sense, dull and boring scientists who normally don’t get a look in are ruining, sorry running the country at the moment.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

What’s the smartarse saying? Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence...

over a year ago

Tin town

First sign of madness.... Keep doing the same things and expecting a different outcome. There's evidence.. Maybe read it.?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"No we don’t.

The clever yet lacking common sense, dull and boring scientists who normally don’t get a look in are ruining, sorry running the country at the moment."

I think if the scientists were actually running the show at the moment, we'd have tens of thousands less deaths

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"First sign of madness.... Keep doing the same things and expecting a different outcome. There's evidence.. Maybe read it.? "

There is definitely 2 schools of thought here...see what I did?

over a year ago

"Yawn it's bs schools are rife with everything going anyone with any sort of common sense would know this

Did you read the link? "

Nah. Yawn. It's all BS innit.

By *andS33Couple
over a year ago

hyde

[Removed by poster at 22/02/21 22:34:02]

By *usybee73Man
over a year ago

in the sticks

Look at actual evidence for a start ...

If kids were spreading covid why were those under 12 exempt from facemasks.

Either they don't spread or masks are there for confidence reasons

over a year ago

I fear the PM has made an awful mistake

Young adults ( school and college kids) once allowed back to skool will raise the infection level( just like September)

Where's the evidence ?

Look, if I drop a pencil on the ground I know it's gravity that's caused it - I don't need to read Newtons principia

Use your common - it's a crowd in a room

Simples - infection spreads

One more thing

We were told " oooh covid spreads better in cold weather like flu " remember?

Ok - the South African variant from say hey South Africa does well in South Africa and it's here

Thing is guys .. it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere

By *ungblackbullMan
over a year ago

scotland

"Simple fact is, everything was going nicely until schools and Uni’s opened in September, then the shit hit the fan.

Biggest Covid outbreaks are in nursing homes followed by education establishments, ironically the same as flu year on year out (check out the flu report from phe).

I’ve got 2 kids - who until a couple of years ago were experts in spreading viruses within our family. I don’t buy this crap that kids don’t spread Covid either, my 2 brought it in to our house last March the week before lockdown.

The rate will go up again."

Scottish schools went back 3 weeks before the English schools BUT the rates on infections in Scotland only started to increase at the same time as in England.

1st Aug, in England there was 12.6 cases per million. 1st September there was 20.2 cases per million. Schools were not opened up again at that time.

16th Nov, cases in England had reached 406 per million. However, despite schools being open, by 5th Dec, cases had dropped to 214 per million.

I think I've proved a point. There actually isn't a "simple fact" as you put it...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Simple fact is, everything was going nicely until schools and Uni’s opened in September, then the shit hit the fan.

The rate will go up again.

Scottish schools went back 3 weeks before the English schools BUT the rates on infections in Scotland only started to increase at the same time as in England.

1st Aug, in England there was 12.6 cases per million. 1st September there was 20.2 cases per million. Schools were not opened up again at that time.

16th Nov, cases in England had reached 406 per million. However, despite schools being open, by 5th Dec, cases had dropped to 214 per million.

I think I've proved a point. There actually isn't a "simple fact" as you put it...

"

Nothing is simple in this kind of stuff. It's not like we have controlled environments with only one variable changing at a time

over a year ago

I'm trying to work out how much actual teaching will take place? By the time the school has tested every child, even more so as it's twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the testing, given that school staff haven't been prioritised for vaccination, but it's a huge undertaking out of the school day.

By *usybee73Man
over a year ago

in the sticks

"I fear the PM has made an awful mistake

Young adults ( school and college kids) once allowed back to skool will raise the infection level( just like September)

Where's the evidence ?

Look, if I drop a pencil on the ground I know it's gravity that's caused it - I don't need to read Newtons principia

Use your common - it's a crowd in a room

Simples - infection spreads

One more thing

We were told " oooh covid spreads better in cold weather like flu " remember?

Ok - the South African variant from say hey South Africa does well in South Africa and it's here

Thing is guys .. it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere"

So no actual evidence ...

over a year ago

North West

"I'm trying to work out how much actual teaching will take place? By the time the school has tested every child, even more so as it's twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the testing, given that school staff haven't been prioritised for vaccination, but it's a huge undertaking out of the school day."

One imagines they'll be asked to arrive earlier and testing would be staggered through the day and week for different year groups etc.

By *arren the doggerMan
over a year ago

willenhall

So....with weekends taken out our kids will be at school for a maximum 12 days before the 2 week Easter breAk ! Surely it cud of waited and use this time from march 8th to vaccinate the kids and the staff . Ain't

difficult is it bojo?

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

"Look at actual evidence for a start ...

If kids were spreading covid why were those under 12 exempt from facemasks.

Either they don't spread or masks are there for confidence reasons "

The NHS advice is that children under 12 shouldn't wear masks (nose and mouth coverings) unless it is medically necessary and they are observed.

In all fairness small children will touch the mask that often and it won't be affective. Short of gluing a mask to a toddlers face and that doesn't include the suprise sneezes

Children over the age of 12 will have to wear masks even in class from 8th march.

over a year ago

Tin town

"I'm trying to work out how much actual teaching will take place? By the time the school has tested every child, even more so as it's twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the testing, given that school staff haven't been prioritised for vaccination, but it's a huge undertaking out of the school day.

One imagines they'll be asked to arrive earlier and testing would be staggered through the day and week for different year groups etc."

I imagine it will be different for each school. My local primary is getting parent volunteers in to do it. Secondary school has trained 30 teachers to do them. They will be fine. If these two can do it I'm sure most of the others can... But I'm sure there will be some who will struggle. Its all new and there needs to be flexibility and patience and working together. We can do this.

over a year ago

Tin town

"So....with weekends taken out our kids will be at school for a maximum 12 days before the 2 week Easter breAk ! Surely it cud of waited and use this time from march 8th to vaccinate the kids and the staff . Ain't

difficult is it bojo?"

It ain't difficult? Haha really... I had the same thought but actually it might be to give it a soft start. A few weeks.. Iron our any problems and then 6 weeks. Don't forget this will be new for kids too and they may well struggle so a few weeks then a break might be a good approach.

Apart from anythng. Its what's we are doing so we just need to make it work for our kids benefit.

over a year ago

"I'm trying to work out how much actual teaching will take place? By the time the school has tested every child, even more so as it's twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the testing, given that school staff haven't been prioritised for vaccination, but it's a huge undertaking out of the school day.

One imagines they'll be asked to arrive earlier and testing would be staggered through the day and week for different year groups etc.

I imagine it will be different for each school. My local primary is getting parent volunteers in to do it. Secondary school has trained 30 teachers to do them. They will be fine. If these two can do it I'm sure most of the others can... But I'm sure there will be some who will struggle. Its all new and there needs to be flexibility and patience and working together. We can do this. "

Yes I've no doubt it will work, my ex has been doing it with the key worker kids at school during the lockdown, she was telling me that they'd managed to get it down to about 3 mins per child. This included preparing the test, observing/explaining the routine, taking the test for checking and wiping down before the next kid. I don't envy them when it's every kid in school

over a year ago

“Children can catch and spread the virus but are unlikely to become very sick with it”

Basically saying they have it, asymptomatic so no sign of it but they are spreading it to others but fuck them as only the kids matter.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"“Children can catch and spread the virus but are unlikely to become very sick with it”

Basically saying they have it, asymptomatic so no sign of it but they are spreading it to others but fuck them as only the kids matter."

I've read that as many as 10% of kids get long Covid.

over a year ago

Many of my nhs colleagues agree that when outbursts hit uni..we should have vaccinated those as they were going back to parents houses/grandparents etc..should have done teachers n nhs staff at same time

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"“Children can catch and spread the virus but are unlikely to become very sick with it”

Basically saying they have it, asymptomatic so no sign of it but they are spreading it to others but fuck them as only the kids matter."

Kids need education as much as older teens need to meet up but all groups increase the risk to spread covid.

But we will now see the test is about to happen 3 weeks then a 2 week gap so we will see where we end up probably with a higher r rate but what has been put forward not even all teachers want it but take a deep breath and see I guess.

By *rank speakerMan
over a year ago

Worcester

"No we don’t.

The clever yet lacking common sense, dull and boring scientists who normally don’t get a look in are ruining, sorry running the country at the moment."

Rather a harsh view of the science. I think it's probably the interpretation politicians care to put on the findings of the scientific community that's the problem. Let's face it. Who has an axe to grind here?? I refer you to Sir Humphrey and his manipulation of any reports?

Alas it's a fact that every parent knows kids pick up infections at school and bring them home!

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I'm trying to work out how much actual teaching will take place? By the time the school has tested every child, even more so as it's twice a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the testing, given that school staff haven't been prioritised for vaccination, but it's a huge undertaking out of the school day."

From what I’ve read the first three tests will be done at school after that they are to be conducted at home by the parents

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

From what I’ve read the first three tests will be done at school after that they are to be conducted at home by the parents "

Wow that's a lot of testes

There is a post buy a guy that could not get 4 home tests for his family. Now we are looking at how meny million in one week WOW

So as a population should we just not all be tested twice a week any way

over a year ago

On a mooch

From what I’ve read the first three tests will be done at school after that they are to be conducted at home by the parents

Wow that's a lot of testes

There is a post buy a guy that could not get 4 home tests for his family. Now we are looking at how meny million in one week WOW

So as a population should we just not all be tested twice a week any way "

It’s just secondary school kids, I think, obviously waiting to hear the logistics of it prior to school starting and the 3/4 weeks they are back. Whether that continues in the summer term remains to be seen.

It’s a lot of tests (approximately a million a week) but the only way they are going to know how prevalent that group of children are or are not at catching, spreading the virus.

By *lirtymr_mrsCouple
over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

I think it's mainly been the other way around, children having their futures fucked over by repeated school closures. That generation have behaved selflessly giving up education and personal freedoms to save the very old and frail.

We have all undertaken selfless acts of isolation, but adults partly did it from fear, children thankfully have little to fear, but did what we asked anyway.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Not read every post so apologies if already said...

IMO (based on my own limited knowledge, common sense and remembering the patterns over the past year) I think it is a mistake for all school children to go back at once.

A cautious staggered approach would seem more sensible with primary/junior going back 8 March and seniors going back after Easter holidays. I *think* that is what SAGE recommended?

Have to wonder if Govt are doing a “3 weeks in then two week Easter break to see if been impact”?

Notice also how any other relaxation comes in after Easter weekend. They are worried people will go mad and party (Bournemouth beach style)

over a year ago

Tin town

"Not read every post so apologies if already said...

IMO (based on my own limited knowledge, common sense and remembering the patterns over the past year) I think it is a mistake for all school children to go back at once.

A cautious staggered approach would seem more sensible with primary/junior going back 8 March and seniors going back after Easter holidays. I *think* that is what SAGE recommended?

Have to wonder if Govt are doing a “3 weeks in then two week Easter break to see if been impact”?

Notice also how any other relaxation comes in after Easter weekend. They are worried people will go mad and party (Bournemouth beach style) "

"They are worried people will go mad and party (Bournemouth beach style)"

The great British public would never do such a thing... Oh hold on...

You can put your house on that happening then first dry weekend we have. The trouble with publishing a long term plan is people are already assuming we are at the last stage rather than not even arrived at the first one yet. Predictable folly.

over a year ago

Tin town

Basically saying they have it, asymptomatic so no sign of it but they are spreading it to others but fuck them as only the kids matter.

I think it's mainly been the other way around, children having their futures fucked over by repeated school closures. That generation have behaved selflessly giving up education and personal freedoms to save the very old and frail.

We have all undertaken selfless acts of isolation, but adults partly did it from fear, children thankfully have little to fear, but did what we asked anyway."

100%. It saddens me the hatred some people seem to have for kids and youngsters who have had very little to gain from all of these restrictions and yet by and large have shown a better example of doing as they are told than the adult population and deserve credit for it rather than demonisation. It might also be worth those who make assumptions... Take a look inside a school at what happens now compared to what happened a year ago. It's very different.

As for big bang... Don't lose sight of the fact that schools have been running at approx 50 % capacity since the start.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Can’t disagree with that, and would add that we are also in many cases underestimating their capacity to bounce back. Not to use that as an excuse not to resource properly, but let us be proud of their resilience.

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

Latest update appears to be that the head teacher of each school can decide the best return policy whether staggered or all in ....

over a year ago

On a mooch

We have all undertaken selfless acts of isolation, but adults partly did it from fear, children thankfully have little to fear, but did what we asked anyway.

100%. It saddens me the hatred some people seem to have for kids and youngsters who have had very little to gain from all of these restrictions and yet by and large have shown a better example of doing as they are told than the adult population and deserve credit for it rather than demonisation. It might also be worth those who make assumptions... Take a look inside a school at what happens now compared to what happened a year ago. It's very different.

As for big bang... Don't lose sight of the fact that schools have been running at approx 50 % capacity since the start. "

Agree. I’ll add to that following a live lesson this morning it was asked how they feel about returning and having to wear a mask all day.... everyone responded positively, they can’t wait to get back to school and if they have to wear a mask then that is what they have to do. They were also asked about the testing and half said nervous about it but after the first couple of times will just become part of their routine.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

...and I can think of many ‘adults’ who ‘are in the know’ not ‘following msm’ etc who could take a lesson from those fine sounding young people.

over a year ago

Tin town

As for big bang... Don't lose sight of the fact that schools have been running at approx 50 % capacity since the start.

Agree. I’ll add to that following a live lesson this morning it was asked how they feel about returning and having to wear a mask all day.... everyone responded positively, they can’t wait to get back to school and if they have to wear a mask then that is what they have to do. They were also asked about the testing and half said nervous about it but after the first couple of times will just become part of their routine.

"

We need to make sure that the mummies don't send their little jemimas and masons into school when they are ill. We all have a part to play in making this work.

By *randmrsc30Couple
over a year ago

East Riding

My kids have gone to school the whole time. Not even one case at school! My husband who works for a massive wind farm company and has to wear a social distancing lanyard that beeps when your too close brought it home and it almost killed me. Schools cannot be blamed for everything. Also those little people have had their worlds turned upside down to protect the vulnerable when it barely touches them. Have some compassion it’s been hard for them too!

over a year ago

Tin town

"My kids have gone to school the whole time. Not even one case at school! My husband who works for a massive wind farm company and has to wear a social distancing lanyard that beeps when your too close brought it home and it almost killed me. Schools cannot be blamed for everything. Also those little people have had their worlds turned upside down to protect the vulnerable when it barely touches them. Have some compassion it’s been hard for them too! "

Sorry to hear that... Have you fully recovered now?

I think my point is its not possible to generalise and have one size fits all when different regions and demographics and behaviours have such different impact... My local are rates have been near zero now for a week... My daughter up north has had stupidly high infection rates all along.... Some schools and areas somehow have managed... As yours has.... And some have had outbreaks and some no doubt have helped spread. The onus is on the schools, pupils and parents to make it work... And we absolutely can.

over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 23/02/21 11:03:32]

over a year ago

On a mooch

We need to make sure that the mummies don't send their little jemimas and masons into school when they are ill. We all have a part to play in making this work. "

I won’t say it doesn’t happen but most don’t send their kids to school ill.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Can’t disagree with that, and would add that we are also in many cases underestimating their capacity to bounce back. Not to use that as an excuse not to resource properly, but let us be proud of their resilience."

By *ylonSlutTV/TS
over a year ago

Durham

No one knows if schools are one of the main drivers for infection. But we will pretty much prove it this time if we get a spike in the adult population 3 or 4 weeks later. I don't trust younger children infection rates as it is notoriously hard to get a true sample from a younger child.

over a year ago

Tin town

We need to make sure that the mummies don't send their little jemimas and masons into school when they are ill. We all have a part to play in making this work.

I won’t say it doesn’t happen but most don’t send their kids to school ill. "

It only takes one... As it did my local.. First day out of last lockdown.. Sent in little Jonny with a cough... Result..tested positive School closed for a week, intense clean... Only takes one. Although I think this time around we know how to use bubbles a bit better so hopefully the consequences won't be as drastic.

over a year ago

On a mooch

It only takes one... As it did my local.. First day out of last lockdown.. Sent in little Jonny with a cough... Result..tested positive School closed for a week, intense clean... Only takes one. Although I think this time around we know how to use bubbles a bit better so hopefully the consequences won't be as drastic. "

Being tested twice a week will help with this and show the difference between the virus and hay fever season symptoms or even hormonal changes in boys which result in a sore throat and tickly cough.

By *atelotmanMan
over a year ago

Chatham

Just been doing the maths.3 minutes a child,so if you have 1200 kids in one school,such as some Schools have. Thats 3600 minutes to do all them a day x two day a week. When do they get any time for lessons?

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Just been doing the maths.3 minutes a child,so if you have 1200 kids in one school,such as some Schools have. Thats 3600 minutes to do all them a day x two day a week. When do they get any time for lessons?"

The logistics are still to be communicated of how it will work and each school will be different, to fit their class sizes. However I have read that only the first three will take place at school, after that the tests will be conducted at home, not hard to make it part of your morning routine.

over a year ago

Personally I'd bring back the 'child catcher '

Orrible germ spreading oiks

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

I won’t say it doesn’t happen but most don’t send their kids to school ill. "

HHhha are you kidding? In my experience as a primary school teacher I would say around 50% of children that are ill come into school ... yes some wirh tummy bugs and parents send in spare underwear!!!!

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

We need to make sure that the mummies don't send their little jemimas and masons into school when they are ill. We all have a part to play in making this work. "

Oh and mummies? What happened to co-parenting and fathers sharing the responsibility?

By *iscreetfuncpl12Couple
over a year ago

Somerset

The key takeaway for me is that the scientist stated their was a continuing risk and an absence of evidence. There is a lot of government double talk about schools. They said schools were safe last July. They went back and cases skyrocketed. They said schools were completely safe on the morning of January 4th this year. By the same afternoon that had shut them to all but the vulnerable and key worker children. It is conceivable, though unlikely, that 30 children in an indoor confined space won’t be a vector of transmission. It is very difficult to make the same case for the return of schools which will result in the movement of more than 7 million children and many of their parents, twice daily, many on public transport. This is not my argument to keep schools only partially open, just my observations.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

HHhha are you kidding? In my experience as a primary school teacher I would say around 50% of children that are ill come into school ... yes some wirh tummy bugs and parents send in spare underwear!!!! "

That’s very thoughtful of them. I’m dating a primary school teacher - blimey! Some of the stories!

By *iscreetfuncpl12Couple
over a year ago

Somerset

*there

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

Oh and mummies? What happened to co-parenting and fathers sharing the responsibility?"

I thought it was the 21st century

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

"

Oh and mummies? What happened to co-parenting and fathers sharing the responsibility?

I thought it was the 21st century "

Me too ... apparently it’s the sole responsibility of ‘mummies’ to attend to children and school.

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

HHhha are you kidding? In my experience as a primary school teacher I would say around 50% of children that are ill come into school ... yes some wirh tummy bugs and parents send in spare underwear!!!!

That’s very thoughtful of them. I’m dating a primary school teacher - blimey! Some of the stories! "

Hahahaha when that doctor woman on the briefing said ‘I really don’t think children will eat each other’s packed lunches’ that told me all I need to know about their expertise in a classroom. I have to say ‘we don’t lick other people’ many many times a week.

over a year ago

That’s very thoughtful of them. I’m dating a primary school teacher - blimey! Some of the stories!

Hahahaha when that doctor woman on the briefing said ‘I really don’t think children will eat each other’s packed lunches’ that told me all I need to know about their expertise in a classroom. I have to say ‘we don’t lick other people’ many many times a week. "

And that's just the teachers

over a year ago

Tin town

"Just been doing the maths.3 minutes a child,so if you have 1200 kids in one school,such as some Schools have. Thats 3600 minutes to do all them a day x two day a week. When do they get any time for lessons?"

Looking for problems really. In secondary schools after a couple of goes I'm sure the pupils are capable of doing it themselves. Primary schools won't but it's not the hardest of problems to solve. One class at a time...

What's your suggestion? That we don't do them? Or that we do less often? Or we don't open schools?

over a year ago

Tin town

HHhha are you kidding? In my experience as a primary school teacher I would say around 50% of children that are ill come into school ... yes some wirh tummy bugs and parents send in spare underwear!!!! "

That's not my experience. And even less so in the last year.

over a year ago

Tin town

"

Me too ... apparently it’s the sole responsibility of ‘mummies’ to attend to children and school. "

Please don't be so pathetic. If you really need to pick a fight over that. But yes it is indeed any parent or guardian or grandparent or care workers job or in some cases the kids manage on their own steam.

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

That's not my experience. And even less so in the last year. "

You’re a primary school teacher?

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

"

Me too ... apparently it’s the sole responsibility of ‘mummies’ to attend to children and school.

Please don't be so pathetic. If you really need to pick a fight over that. But yes it is indeed any parent or guardian or grandparent or care workers job or in some cases the kids manage on their own steam. "

Not when they’re 7 they don’t ...

over a year ago

On a mooch

You are obviously talking about primary school, I was talking secondary two very different worlds. Saying that even our primary school experience is nothing as you describe, your ill you stay home for 48 hours. Every school is different

By *lirtymr_mrsCouple
over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

"

As for big bang... Don't lose sight of the fact that schools have been running at approx 50 % capacity since the start. "

Only 50... Ours is higher, yet only one class sent home since January. Of the classes that got sent home last year when all pupils were back there was never any transmission beyond the tested child so school clearly doing something right.

But yes, anyone thinking schools were shut this time around is sorely mistaken. Plenty of people struggling at home, but a good proportion showing sensible social distancing in school.

over a year ago

"If schools were a priority then teachers should have received the vaccine ..... "
agree

By *ermbiMan
over a year ago

Ballyshannon

"

Only 50... Ours is higher, yet only one class sent home since January. Of the classes that got sent home last year when all pupils were back there was never any transmission beyond the tested child so school clearly doing something right.

But yes, anyone thinking schools were shut this time around is sorely mistaken. Plenty of people struggling at home, but a good proportion showing sensible social distancing in school."

Difficult to social distance in a class of 32 kids i would think. Schools did a remarkable job in the first term to stay open when society ignored social distancing etc. Outbreaks in schools as a result of the lack of compliance by some in the population. All talk of schools being safe is nonsense. If they are safe why are kids at home for the last ten weeks

By *lay 4 uMan
over a year ago

bolton

over a year ago

Tin town

"

But yes, anyone thinking schools were shut this time around is sorely mistaken. Plenty of people struggling at home, but a good proportion showing sensible social distancing in school.

Difficult to social distance in a class of 32 kids i would think. Schools did a remarkable job in the first term to stay open when society ignored social distancing etc. Outbreaks in schools as a result of the lack of compliance by some in the population. All talk of schools being safe is nonsense. If they are safe why are kids at home for the last ten weeks"

As we've seen on here. Some schools have been very safe. I think it's really important to understand that schools have remained open throughout and running at about 50 percent capacity with very few reported issues and rates have been dropping for 6 weeks.

That they operate very differently now to how they did a year ago. That all kids are not idiots, and that most are very capable of sanitising hands and keeping distance when needed. Not sure where the class sizes are coming from.

As to Why are they at home? That's a great question. And thankfully they won't be for too much longer.

Post new Message to Thread