Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

The logic of how to Protect the NHS

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So across the devolved and national Governments of the UK we have a standard theme of restrictions to Protect the NHS.

So to protect the NHS we are allowed to have dozens and dozens of kids mixing at school with little to no restrictions to protect the NHS, yet 2 or more kids from the same school bubble but different families cannot go to each other garden to protectthe NHS

In other areas to protect the NHS you're allowed to buy as much vodka as you want but to protect the NHS you can't buy clothes or blankets for infants

To protect the NHS you can buy as many cigarettes and beer as you want but to protect the NHS buying books is forbidden.

To protect the NHS you can go sit and eat in a pub with dozens of strangers but to protect the NHS you can't even sit in the garden of a relative

No wonder so many people are giving up bothering to follow rules when their as logical as this.

How did we end up having such poor leadership.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Populism and the stoking of emotions, the tried and tested tactics that have been used in states, including here, for some time.

By *ess37Woman
over a year ago

Nantwich

"So across the devolved and national Governments of the UK we have a standard theme of restrictions to Protect the NHS.

So to protect the NHS we are allowed to have dozens and dozens of kids mixing at school with little to no restrictions to protect the NHS, yet 2 or more kids from the same school bubble but different families cannot go to each other garden to protectthe NHS

In other areas to protect the NHS you're allowed to buy as much vodka as you want but to protect the NHS you can't buy clothes or blankets for infants

To protect the NHS you can buy as many cigarettes and beer as you want but to protect the NHS buying books is forbidden.

To protect the NHS you can go sit and eat in a pub with dozens of strangers but to protect the NHS you can't even sit in the garden of a relative

No wonder so many people are giving up bothering to follow rules when their as logical as this.

How did we end up having such poor leadership. "

Don’t bother to ask logical and sensible questions on here, you won’t get any logical conversation/debate on an adult level - instead you will be called all sorts of names, you will receive private messages with more disgusting repertoire and last but not least, you risk to be banned (in worse case scenario) - it’s simply not worth it.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"So across the devolved and national Governments of the UK we have a standard theme of restrictions to Protect the NHS.

We voted for them

Simple

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The rules are incredibly simple. Stay 2m apart. Wash your hands, don't touch your face.

Too many people can't understand that so the government has to introduce rules that will try and keep the economy going but stop people from catching covid and filling up the hospitals.

If people behaved responsibly it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

over a year ago

You can drive a van all day with a workmate sat next to you but cant invite him for a cuppa at the end of shift

over a year ago

"The rules are incredibly simple. Stay 2m apart. Wash your hands, don't touch your face.

Too many people can't understand that so the government has to introduce rules that will try and keep the economy going but stop people from catching covid and filling up the hospitals.

If people behaved responsibly it wouldn't be as much of an issue. "

I get that bit but

Yes to Vodka

No to infant clothing

Yes to beer n fags

No to books that people having little else to do may want to read

Clear as shit me thinks

over a year ago

"

You can drive a van all day with a workmate sat next to you but cant invite him for a cuppa at the end of shift"

Indeed, he must most probably keel over dead before the kettles done boiling so they should be fucking praising Boris for keeping them alive

over a year ago

"

We voted for them

Simple

"

Well, yes but what I meant was how did they all end up being so shit at drawing up meaningful coherent and logical measures.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"The rules are incredibly simple. Stay 2m apart. Wash your hands, don't touch your face.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

To protect the NHS we need to pay Dr's.

That's from people squabbling about not being able to drink pints and eating in all the potentially mothballed eateries.

To protect the NHS we need kids in schools or mums and dads wont be able to educate, feed them or go to work. Not least recover from issues of having to care for them for an extended period of time as they are all going crazy realising teachers actually do something more than baby sit them for 6hrs of a day.

To protect the NHS, you can buy vodka, cigarettes, and beer but not blankets and books as that's how devolved administrations work. You know - protecting the ones keeping us nob heads alive because we don't understand basic hygiene or that the tax system keeps us cry babies and the NHS going.

~ Just an alternative view ~

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

We voted for them

Simple

Well, yes but what I meant was how did they all end up being so shit at drawing up meaningful coherent and logical measures. "

Why did boris end up being incoherent?

It's a puzzler.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Protecting the NHS is one thing...investing in it is quite another...

over a year ago

They are making a great job of it . Keeping you covid OCD people off the levers of power. At least we can have a tiny bit of life. Would seem Wales and Scotland are not so lucky eh

Of course I do accept there are people who do not feel the same way as I do about it.

over a year ago

"They are making a great job of it . Keeping you covid OCD people off the levers of power. At least we can have a tiny bit of life. Would seem Wales and Scotland are not so lucky eh

Of course I do accept there are people who do not feel the same way as I do about it."

They’ll be here shortly with burning torches and pitchforks.

over a year ago

Totally agree with you.

There is no logic to this apart from one thing ..... money!

over a year ago

"

We voted for them

Simple

Well, yes but what I meant was how did they all end up being so shit at drawing up meaningful coherent and logical measures. "

They didn’t end up being that way, they have always been that way. People knew and voted for them anyway.

“But how could we have known?” People cry, “how could you not?” Would be my response.

over a year ago

This is why I've always favoured the Swedish approach, if you've read anything by Anders tegnell he's clearly stated he never went for a herd immunity approach, he thought it would be several years of this epidemic so went for four very simple easy to follow rules which he thought could be sustained for the years he expected Sweden to be in it for.

We seem to have gone for the approach of varying rules, varying problems, varying furlough, varying lockdowns, nobody knows anything of what's allowed in what District or travel, it's completely incoherent and just makes people think, fuck it I can't be arsed anymore because cases are up down up down shake it all around.

When your in for the long haul you need consistency of message and you need to keep it simple and basic, if the evidence shows that masks do very little but universities going online does quite a bit but you do the opposite or hospitality isn't the problem but home is then your just making a rod for your own back.

Are three biggest infection rates are schools/universities, work and home but instead we close pubs at ten which is right down at the bottom of infection rates and drive people into house gatherings, this is the sign of somebody getting angry with people and saying I know best and if you'd just listen things will be ok, well there not and things won't be ok so start planning around that instead of talking shit.

Open bars and restaurants longer but cut capacity and doubly enforce space, it's the best proved source of reducing spread, push sixth form and university online for winter and do something about household spread break large households into smaller ones, there's thousands of hotels empty, use them.

over a year ago

More people will suffer from economic collapse then from 5he virus itself. Live life as best as you can.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"

We voted for them

Simple

Well, yes but what I meant was how did they all end up being so shit at drawing up meaningful coherent and logical measures.

Why did boris end up being incoherent?

It's a puzzler."

Its not just boris though is it? wee nicola has done the same and the guy in wales.I know how you like to boris bash every thread you can though.

By *ark Knight 2017Man
over a year ago

Ware

I thought the NHS was there to protect us.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

"I thought the NHS was there to protect us. "

Yup. This is what I’ve been saying to people, so I don’t buy all this protect them NHS etc.

We pay for it & if it can’t protect us, it’s not fit for purpose.

If that’s due to all the cuts over the years, the fault lies squarely with governments, past & present.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I thought the NHS was there to protect us.

Yup. This is what I’ve been saying to people, so I don’t buy all this protect them NHS etc.

If that’s due to all the cuts over the years, the fault lies squarely with governments, past & present."

I'd disagree that it does an amazing job and should be protected.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Protect the NHS

In case there is a pandemic

Oh

I don’t agree with the premise. The recent Sunday Times report on death wards was horrifying, we have health rationing now.

over a year ago

The beginning of the year it was all about deaths.

Now it is about cases.

This is not a pandemic, it is a casedemic. It is extremely sad and upsetting if people die from covid, but currently I think it is less than 1% of the population that is dying.

The use of lockdowns, closing businesses is over the top and is not necessary. The government seems to be spreading unnecessary fear into the population. This virus has hit us twice in the same year and yet it has still killed less than 50,000 what is that? A football stadium of people throughout the whole country. There has to be another reason for this lockdown and closing of businesses because it is not for the poor soles that have lost their lives or those that may in the future

over a year ago

Don’t bother to ask logical and sensible questions on here, you won’t get any logical conversation/debate on an adult level - instead you will be called all sorts of names, you will receive private messages with more disgusting repertoire and last but not least, you risk to be banned (in worse case scenario) - it’s simply not worth it. "

By *ontecristoMan
over a year ago

PonteCarlo

Just a question.

If we have such poor leadership how come dozens of countries are in the same shit too?

over a year ago

"I thought the NHS was there to protect us.

If that’s due to all the cuts over the years, the fault lies squarely with governments, past & present."

over a year ago

If we are honest, the NHS was rubbish before this virus came along, forgotten the waiting lists? patients in corridors, nurses yapping and not answering calls, crap food, endlessly waiting on the phone etc etc

It was crap during covid and it will be after covid

The NHS has so many people that are dead wood and cannot or will not do their jobs correctly.

There is only one exception to the above and that is the icu’s sadly everything else is pretty poor

over a year ago

Lets put this out there. If you go to a pub and use track/trace, and get contacted about someone being pos in the pub you have to isolate.. yet the wife works for a government institution, and some of her colleagues she was on a physical contact training course with last week have tested pos.. guess what, not one member of staff have been told to isolate at all... so it seems if you are a civil servant then you have automatic immunity from it if youre at work

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

The block list gets longer

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I'm suprised a "physical contact training course" was deemed safe to take place. What was it ?

over a year ago

"If we are honest, the NHS was rubbish before this virus came along, forgotten the waiting lists? patients in corridors, nurses yapping and not answering calls, crap food, endlessly waiting on the phone etc etc

The NHS has so many people that are dead wood and cannot or will not do their jobs correctly.

There is only one exception to the above and that is the icu’s sadly everything else is pretty poor"

In 2009 the NHS had the shortest waiting lists in it’s history and the highest patient satisfaction ever recorded. A decade later it is short 100,000 staff and has ever growing waiting lists.

I wonder what has caused that?

over a year ago

"Protect the NHS

Oh

I don’t agree with the premise. The recent Sunday Times report on death wards was horrifying, we have health rationing now. "

Do you think that is the fault of the NHS or do you think something else has caused it?

over a year ago

"The beginning of the year it was all about deaths.

Now it is about cases.

This is not a pandemic, it is a casedemic. It is extremely sad and upsetting if people die from covid, but currently I think it is less than 1% of the population that is dying.

The use of lockdowns, closing businesses is over the top and is not necessary. The government seems to be spreading unnecessary fear into the population. This virus has hit us twice in the same year and yet it has still killed less than 50,000 what is that? A football stadium of people throughout the whole country. There has to be another reason for this lockdown and closing of businesses because it is not for the poor soles that have lost their lives or those that may in the future"

Have you considered that it’s only 50,000 odd because we’ve had the measures in place?

And no, it’s always been about capacity in our health service... as a European nation with one of the worst beds to population ratios we are sadly very exposed.

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

This. ^

We reep what we sow.

E

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

Now it is about cases.

The use of lockdowns, closing businesses is over the top and is not necessary. The government seems to be spreading unnecessary fear into the population. This virus has hit us twice in the same year and yet it has still killed less than 50,000 what is that? A football stadium of people throughout the whole country. There has to be another reason for this lockdown and closing of businesses because it is not for the poor soles that have lost their lives or those that may in the future"

I love it when people trot out the "It's only 1% that are dieing" stat.

That 1% is 78,000,000 of the world's population.

I'm guessing they're ok with that "only 1%"

E

By *rufinWoman
over a year ago

notts

This. ^

We reep what we sow.

E"

Those 3 rules would never stop any virus from spreading They might slow the spread but they won't stop it. That's not so bad .. spread the deaths out .. more manageable.

look at where it mostly spreads

hospitals - even with ppe

care homes

in your house once one person has it

Those are the main places it spreads. who isn't obeying those three simple rules in those places, and why?

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

Aside from everyone being completely locked up, it will spread. It still spread in the Spring with a lockdown.

No way round it, that’s why this obsession with continual lockdowns is fundamentally flawed.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Everyone being completely locked up wouldn't work because we still need people to run essential services.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"Protect the NHS

Oh

I don’t agree with the premise. The recent Sunday Times report on death wards was horrifying, we have health rationing now.

Do you think that is the fault of the NHS or do you think something else has caused it?"

I’m saying the NHS should be there when we need it, for everyone, and we need it now.

Instead we have triage of patients, where the (not very) elderly were denied treatment and left to die:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-how-elderly-paid-price-of-protecting-nhs-from-covid-19-7n62kkbtb?shareToken=409df3b1035a3af9a270049644d82be4

The NHS employs 1.7 million people, the fifth largest employer in the world. My local hospital is advertising for a social media manager on £34,000 a year.

I know plenty of NHS workers, they all say the money wasted is scandalous.

At least 2,600 NHS employees and 8,000 consultants, pre Covid, were paid more than the PM.

I blame Simon Stephens and decades of spineless politicians..

over a year ago

Now it is about cases.

The use of lockdowns, closing businesses is over the top and is not necessary. The government seems to be spreading unnecessary fear into the population. This virus has hit us twice in the same year and yet it has still killed less than 50,000 what is that? A football stadium of people throughout the whole country. There has to be another reason for this lockdown and closing of businesses because it is not for the poor soles that have lost their lives or those that may in the future

Have you considered that it’s only 50,000 odd because we’ve had the measures in place?

And no, it’s always been about capacity in our health service... as a European nation with one of the worst beds to population ratios we are sadly very exposed. "

Absolutely this.

When foreign governments marvel at how efficient our NHS is, and they absolutely do because it is, they are only half talking about the efficiency. The other part that they are so impressed with is how the government has so successfully blinded the population as to how poorly resourced our NHS is.

This is a government which starves the NHS of the investment needed and then has its attack dogs at the Mail, Express, S*n, Star, Times and Telegraph publish stories about how the NHS is rubbish.

They don't get away with it in other countries, and that is a sad indictment of how far we've allowed ourselves to fall as a society.

over a year ago

"Protect the NHS

Oh

Do you think that is the fault of the NHS or do you think something else has caused it?

I’m saying the NHS should be there when we need it, for everyone, and we need it now.

Instead we have triage of patients, where the (not very) elderly were denied treatment and left to die:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/revealed-how-elderly-paid-price-of-protecting-nhs-from-covid-19-7n62kkbtb?shareToken=409df3b1035a3af9a270049644d82be4

The NHS employs 1.7 million people, the fifth largest employer in the world. My local hospital is advertising for a social media manager on £34,000 a year.

I know plenty of NHS workers, they all say the money wasted is scandalous.

At least 2,600 NHS employees and 8,000 consultants, pre Covid, were paid more than the PM.

I blame Simon Stephens and decades of spineless politicians.."

What do you think a social media manager does?

As for the consultants I certainly think there is a case for sprreading the cash a bit better among our clinicians but how many people in the country earn more than the PM? Then answer is upwards of 350,000. To be honest I can't see anyone more deserving of earning that amounbt than people who have dedicated their lives to helping other people and perform incredibly complex operations on a daily basis.

The top surgeons and consultants who earn £175k a year by the time they are in their 50s and 60s are the sort of people who could have been earning that in their 20s and 30s had they decided to go into the financial sector. Yet we meekly accept that in business if you want the best you have to pay the top money, why shouldn't the same apply in medicine?

By *igh wide and handsomeMan
over a year ago

Dagenham

It doesn't matter how much people follow these rules. It was always gonna rip through the schools as soon as they re opened.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"

We voted for them

Simple

Because the desire to protect capitalism is being given equal or greater priority to the desire to protect public health.

over a year ago

It doesn't matter how much people follow these rules. It was always gonna rip through the schools as soon as they re opened."

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"If we are honest, the NHS was rubbish before this virus came along, forgotten the waiting lists? patients in corridors, nurses yapping and not answering calls, crap food, endlessly waiting on the phone etc etc

There is only one exception to the above and that is the icu’s sadly everything else is pretty poor

In 2009 the NHS had the shortest waiting lists in it’s history and the highest patient satisfaction ever recorded. A decade later it is short 100,000 staff and has ever growing waiting lists.

I wonder what has caused that?"

Scratches head

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

There is only one exception to the above and that is the icu’s sadly everything else is pretty poor"

If this country had a list of things to be proud about,the NHS would top it.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

What does a social media manager do?

Puts out one Facebook post every two days and one twitter post every three days that is seen by a total of 12 people.

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

And don’t get me started on NHS procurement, even pre Covid.

over a year ago

"What does a social media manager do?

Puts out one Facebook post every two days and one twitter post every three days that is seen by a total of 12 people.

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

And don’t get me started on NHS procurement, even pre Covid. "

You’d be sadly mistaken then.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

You’d be sadly mistaken then."

Any evidence for that bold claim?

over a year ago

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

Any evidence for that bold claim?"

Only that I know what social media managers in the NHS do, in the four trusts I work with at least. It’s not just about tweets and Facebook, it’s managing everything the trust has publicly available, ensuring that it remains up to date and assisting departments in creating their own webpages and also keeping them up to date. Also ensuring that the social media presence of the different teams within a trust is using the latest information available.

Given that single trust can have hundreds of individual teams that is no easy task.

One of the problems with NHS trusts is that people work increasingly within their own silos and don’t have much awareness of what other people are doing within their organisation. Quite often that is down to poor management, of which there is no lack of in the NHS. It breeds a culture of people blaming someone else and calling them because they have no idea what they do.

The NHS is a massive, and complex ecosystem of organisations that the government often encourages to compete against each other, because of their mistaken belief that they Market’ will drive efficiency, when actually what has been known for a long time now all ‘the market’ drives in the NHS is inequality and the temptation to massage figures to suit targets that are generic and tend to suit the larger, well resourced and more financially sound Trusts.

over a year ago

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

Only that I know what social media managers in the NHS do, in the four trusts I work with at least. It’s not just about tweets and Facebook, it’s managing everything the trust has publicly available, ensuring that it remains up to date and assisting departments in creating their own webpages and also keeping them up to date. Also ensuring that the social media presence of the different teams within a trust is using the latest information available.

Given that single trust can have hundreds of individual teams that is no easy task.

One of the problems with NHS trusts is that people work increasingly within their own silos and don’t have much awareness of what other people are doing within their organisation. Quite often that is down to poor management, of which there is no lack of in the NHS. It breeds a culture of people blaming someone else and calling them because they have no idea what they do.

The NHS is a massive, and complex ecosystem of organisations that the government often encourages to compete against each other, because of their mistaken belief that they Market’ will drive efficiency, when actually what has been known for a long time now all ‘the market’ drives in the NHS is inequality and the temptation to massage figures to suit targets that are generic and tend to suit the larger, well resourced and more financially sound Trusts."

This.

over a year ago

Honestly, I'd hate for it to happen as I'm enjoying swimming and gymming again, and I want to go to Leeds for Christmas.

However, at this point a national lockdown would be ideal to snap everyone back to the realities of the situation and get case numbers back under control.

Maybe try and keep some leisure open under strict regulations.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

The NHS is a massive, and complex ecosystem of organisations that the government often encourages to compete against each other, because of their mistaken belief that they Market’ will drive efficiency, when actually what has been known for a long time now all ‘the market’ drives in the NHS is inequality and the temptation to massage figures to suit targets that are generic and tend to suit the larger, well resourced and more financially sound Trusts."

Departments with their own webpages ? Goodness how did they get anything done before the internet

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

This. ^

We reep what we sow.

E

Those 3 rules would never stop any virus from spreading They might slow the spread but they won't stop it. That's not so bad .. spread the deaths out .. more manageable.

look at where it mostly spreads

hospitals - even with ppe

care homes

in your house once one person has it

Those are the main places it spreads. who isn't obeying those three simple rules in those places, and why?"

Well done, slowing the spread of the virus is the goal.

Those golden rules are about not helping it spread, or at the very least reducing the risk of spread.

Do you wash your hands before eating, do you wash your hands after using the loo?

Presuming that you do, I'd ask you why?

E

over a year ago

Just a question.

If we have such poor leadership how come dozens of countries are in the same shit too? "

I think you need to read my post again

over a year ago

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

The NHS is a massive, and complex ecosystem of organisations that the government often encourages to compete against each other, because of their mistaken belief that they Market’ will drive efficiency, when actually what has been known for a long time now all ‘the market’ drives in the NHS is inequality and the temptation to massage figures to suit targets that are generic and tend to suit the larger, well resourced and more financially sound Trusts.

Departments with their own webpages ? Goodness how did they get anything done before the internet "

Generally they had to have a clinician talk directly to patients rather than just pointing them to a page on the internet where they can get the same information.

It’s ok to admit that you were under informed you know, we all do it.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

Departments with their own webpages ? Goodness how did they get anything done before the internet

Generally they had to have a clinician talk directly to patients rather than just pointing them to a page on the internet where they can get the same information.

It’s ok to admit that you were under informed you know, we all do it."

When I’m under informed I do admit it, doesn’t happen often and not in this case.

It clearly does not require local departments to each have their own web pages duplicating effort hundred of times across the country, no.

over a year ago

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

When I’m under informed I do admit it, doesn’t happen often and not in this case.

It clearly does not require local departments to each have their own web pages duplicating effort hundred of times across the country, no. "

Well that’s rather the point, the NHS is not one big organisation, it is an amalgam of hundreds of different ones. Whilst the information may be similar for each organisation there will be differences. That is why each area and each department needs its own pages, the last thing you want is to point a patient to a webpage which says they can get something that isn’t available in their area.

If you live in London, or Birmingham, or Manchester, the range of services available local to you is vastly increased in comparison to if you live in Cornwall or Cumbria.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

It clearly does not require local departments to each have their own web pages duplicating effort hundred of times across the country, no.

Well that’s rather the point, the NHS is not one big organisation, it is an amalgam of hundreds of different ones. Whilst the information may be similar for each organisation there will be differences. That is why each area and each department needs its own pages, the last thing you want is to point a patient to a webpage which says they can get something that isn’t available in their area.

If you live in London, or Birmingham, or Manchester, the range of services available local to you is vastly increased in comparison to if you live in Cornwall or Cumbria."

Is that fair?

over a year ago

What they don’t do:

Look after patients

If you live in London, or Birmingham, or Manchester, the range of services available local to you is vastly increased in comparison to if you live in Cornwall or Cumbria.

Is that fair?"

Nope but in a service starved of investment it’s become the norm.

Post new Message to Thread