Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Dragging this crap out!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I honestly can't live another 3 years like this, hiding and dragging this crap out! Protect the vulnerable and get everyone exposed, thought that's what this community was about: exposing ourselves?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm happy to go first on the herd immunity express personally

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm happy to go first on the herd immunity express personally"

100% we have to build up our immune system. It's what we have always done. Hiding is just prolonging the inevitable.

Reply privately

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

Totally agree apparently a lot don't tho

Reply privately

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

Is herd immunity still a 'thing'?

I thought there were people catching it a second time..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Totally agree apparently a lot don't tho"

Nobody is asking them to come outside. You should have a choice...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is herd immunity still a 'thing'?

I thought there were people catching it a second time.."

7 people worldwide all different strains from their original infection.

Keep up.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I honestly can't live another 3 years like this, hiding and dragging this crap out! Protect the vulnerable and get everyone exposed, thought that's what this community was about: exposing ourselves? "

what do you mean by protect the vulnerable?

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

Apparently, you can't protect the vunerable successfully. In the end, it gets through - or are you saying that its unlucky the some will die?

I would prefer to see some WHO recommendations put in place. Right at the very start (before March) they said the key is testing and tracking. It now seems so obvious. We haven't done it or even tried by the looks of things and we are paying the price.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I honestly can't live another 3 years like this, hiding and dragging this crap out! Protect the vulnerable and get everyone exposed, thought that's what this community was about: exposing ourselves? "

Another 3 years,?

Reply privately

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

"Apparently, you can't protect the vunerable successfully. In the end, it gets through - or are you saying that its unlucky the some will die?

"

That's it isn't it, there are people who have totally isolated from everyone & still caught it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I honestly can't live another 3 years like this, hiding and dragging this crap out! Protect the vulnerable and get everyone exposed, thought that's what this community was about: exposing ourselves?

Another 3 years,?"

Aye I tought 3years was a little optimistic

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Is your concern about income or fucking strangers?

I can respect and understand the former and yes there are undoubtedly anxiety and loneliness for those not able to have physical contact but there's too many on here saying fuck it I just want to fuck and I don't care if that means someone's close relative end up on a ventilator..

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

We should let those who advocate for herd immunity get together and be deliberately infected.

Surely they'd all put their money where their mouth is.

Reply privately

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

The crude reality which so many are refusing to accept is that we need to move on.

There will be more casualties and the health services are going to be under massive strain, but if we keep going in circles with so called "lockdowns" which will become harder and harder for people to stick to, the damage will be far greater.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My concern is that all these measures that seem to be put in place have negative affects elsewhere, I mean closing gyms, but leaving eateries open? Just to mention one..

I am just frustrated with the entire thing and would be happy to take my own chances.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The crude reality which so many are refusing to accept is that we need to move on.

There will be more casualties and the health services are going to be under massive strain, but if we keep going in circles with so called "lockdowns" which will become harder and harder for people to stick to, the damage will be far greater. "

So what should we do?

Reply privately

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"My concern is that all these measures that seem to be put in place have negative affects elsewhere, I mean closing gyms, but leaving eateries open? Just to mention one..

I am just frustrated with the entire thing and would be happy to take my own chances. "

. It’s not about you taking your chances it’s about reducing the likelihood of you becoming a vector for the virus to expose other more at risk people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My concern is that all these measures that seem to be put in place have negative affects elsewhere, I mean closing gyms, but leaving eateries open? Just to mention one..

I am just frustrated with the entire thing and would be happy to take my own chances. "

Ok but you don’t get to make that choice for other people, and to be fair unless you are an asthmatic you are unlikely to be in any of the high risk groups, so it’s pretty easy for you to take that risk.

How would you feel if you passed it on to someone and they died?

Reply privately

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

So I'm supposed to forget about every meaningfully intersecting with the vulnerable people in my life because I'm not personally vulnerable?

Reply privately

By *r_FaustusMan
over a year ago

Northampton

For me, the questions are:

1. How many need to be infected to get to herd immunity? (A: Prob 80+%)

2. For that level of infection, how many will die? (A: if it’s as low as 0.5%, then that’s around 240000 for the UK)

3. For that level of infection, how many will have post-infection symptoms, either for months or years, and at what level of disability: post-ICU syndrome; organ damage from the primary infection; flitting, ongoing infection/inflammation? (A: the really big unknown...)

Reply privately

over a year ago

It can be serious for an extremely small amount of people, mostly old and vunerable, everyone else who catches the virus either has no symptoms or very mild cold like symptoms and if we hadnt been told about the big bad scary covid everyone would put it down to a cold or flu like bug,

So my personal opinion is that the vast majority of us that are not being sucked in by the scare mongering should go about our lives as we want optional masks, go clubbing, go on holiday, go to see family, have parties,weddings, birthdays and enjoy life. If we get poorly like we all do any other year, we will deal with it.

And if you are unfortunatly one of the more vunerable people in society, (we all get dealt a shit card in life at some point) then im sure your more than capable of going about your life the best you can whilst doing everything you deem neccessary to protect yourself the best you can, ie shop when its quiet, dont go to any busy events, wear a mask, stay clean, clean things you may come into contact with, keep your distance from other people and basically use your common sense, like i said im sure your all more than capable of doing so.

Also only get tested if you have serious symptoms or in hospital so you dont drive up the 'positive' or 'false positive' tests and then covid will slowly start to dissappear from the news and tv and we will all be able to get on with life as normal and the economy will be saved

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am just frustrated with the entire thing and would be happy to take my own chances.

Ok but you don’t get to make that choice for other people, and to be fair unless you are an asthmatic you are unlikely to be in any of the high risk groups, so it’s pretty easy for you to take that risk.

How would you feel if you passed it on to someone and they died?"

Do you honestly believe that this is just going to die out? I am under no illusion that this will somehow infect the entire population at some stage or other. Preventative medicine is going to be the only way out of this, now be that by immunity or vacancies. Should we just shield and wait?

Reply privately

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"The crude reality which so many are refusing to accept is that we need to move on.

There will be more casualties and the health services are going to be under massive strain, but if we keep going in circles with so called "lockdowns" which will become harder and harder for people to stick to, the damage will be far greater.

So what should we do?"

Use common sence

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It can be serious for an extremely small amount of people, mostly old and vunerable, everyone else who catches the virus either has no symptoms or very mild cold like symptoms and if we hadnt been told about the big bad scary covid everyone would put it down to a cold or flu like bug,

So my personal opinion is that the vast majority of us that are not being sucked in by the scare mongering should go about our lives as we want optional masks, go clubbing, go on holiday, go to see family, have parties,weddings, birthdays and enjoy life. If we get poorly like we all do any other year, we will deal with it.

And if you are unfortunatly one of the more vunerable people in society, (we all get dealt a shit card in life at some point) then im sure your more than capable of going about your life the best you can whilst doing everything you deem neccessary to protect yourself the best you can, ie shop when its quiet, dont go to any busy events, wear a mask, stay clean, clean things you may come into contact with, keep your distance from other people and basically use your common sense, like i said im sure your all more than capable of doing so.

Also only get tested if you have serious symptoms or in hospital so you dont drive up the 'positive' or 'false positive' tests and then covid will slowly start to dissappear from the news and tv and we will all be able to get on with life as normal and the economy will be saved "

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Reply privately

over a year ago

So what should we do?

Use common sence"

Unfortunately COVIDiots don’t have common sense,

Reply privately

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

"It can be serious for an extremely small amount of people, mostly old and vunerable, everyone else who catches the virus either has no symptoms or very mild cold like symptoms and if we hadnt been told about the big bad scary covid everyone would put it down to a cold or flu like bug,

Also only get tested if you have serious symptoms or in hospital so you dont drive up the 'positive' or 'false positive' tests and then covid will slowly start to dissappear from the news and tv and we will all be able to get on with life as normal and the economy will be saved "

Good post

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I honestly can't live another 3 years like this, hiding and dragging this crap out! Protect the vulnerable and get everyone exposed, thought that's what this community was about: exposing ourselves?

Another 3 years,?"

Well it seems that Donald Trump is trying to buy up all the Oxford Vaccine supply (including ours) meaning that it's now a race between regulators. If the FDA approves Chaddox first we might lose our vaccinations. I'm hoping this has the effect of expediting approval.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you honestly believe that this is just going to die out? I am under no illusion that this will somehow infect the entire population at some stage or other. Preventative medicine is going to be the only way out of this, now be that by immunity or vacancies. Should we just shield and wait? "

I agree, but we need to slow the Virus down until we are at that stage, just going back to normal at this stage will be far worse for the economy in the long term

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Apparently, you can't protect the vunerable successfully. In the end, it gets through - or are you saying that its unlucky the some will die?

I would prefer to see some WHO recommendations put in place. Right at the very start (before March) they said the key is testing and tracking. It now seems so obvious. We haven't done it or even tried by the looks of things and we are paying the price."

We are testing 300k a day now. What are you talking about?

Reply privately

over a year ago

So what should we do?"

You must have a whole book full of answers now with this question

Reply privately

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

So what should we do?

Use common sence

Unfortunately COVIDiots don’t have common sense, "

Neither the vast majority of people it appears

Reply privately

over a year ago

A few simple facts for you:

There’s no guarantee herd immunity works, there’s evidence already of reinfections with different covid-19 strains and moving forward we will have many more mutations. It’s a challenge for any vaccine we produce too.

The vulnerable... there’s 15,000,000 of them, some will be partners, friends, colleges etc, how do you shield them within a mixed household?

Also... mass exposure, this would highly likely kill the NHS capacity, swamp the service and batter other services

So what am I missing here in this genius plan? I’m really struggling to understand it. X

Reply privately

By *dores blackmenWoman
over a year ago

incognito mode ;-)

People went back to work,alot of businesses reopened,

schools/colleges/university returned etc etc

Six weeks later we have been put into tiers and Wales for eg have full 2 week lockdown

So those few weeks we had just hands,face space didn't work so letting us all do 'the normal' and build up immunity is not really an option,or we wouldn't be back in this situation of new lockdowns

It's hard for everyone

Reply privately

By *ichelle999Couple
over a year ago

leicester

There’s no guarantee herd immunity works, there’s evidence already of reinfections with different covid-19 strains and moving forward we will have many more mutations. It’s a challenge for any vaccine we produce too.

The vulnerable... there’s 15,000,000 of them, some will be partners, friends, colleges etc, how do you shield them within a mixed household?

Also... mass exposure, this would highly likely kill the NHS capacity, swamp the service and batter other services

So what am I missing here in this genius plan? I’m really struggling to understand it. X

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

So what should we do?

Use common sence

Unfortunately COVIDiots don’t have common sense,

Neither the vast majority of people it appears "

True, and that is why we are where we are unfortunately

Reply privately

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Is herd immunity still a 'thing'?

I thought there were people catching it a second time..

7 people worldwide all different strains from their original infection.

Keep up."

As there appears to be no guarantee that long term immunity happens after an infection this sounds akin to playing Russian roulette with an unknow number of bullets at the moment.

Reply privately

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

Problem is when we expose ourselves we also expose everybody we come in contact with afterwards

Reply privately

over a year ago

OMG!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

So if you are disabled or chronically ill it’s awful that you are already excluded from so much but tough shit because now you’re going to have to stay the fuck out of the way because er aren’t going to change one fucking thing about our lives.

Does that pretty much sum it up?

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

So in essence;

tough shit if your elderly and helped to rebuild the country through the post war years just stay at home and venture out in the hope some moron won't be standing next to you who tested positive but has had enough..

you have underlying health issues and some of you will be working and contributing to the economy but off you go home, bye job..

It's been 7 months and people are happy to throw others under a bus..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you honestly believe that this is just going to die out? I am under no illusion that this will somehow infect the entire population at some stage or other. Preventative medicine is going to be the only way out of this, now be that by immunity or vacancies. Should we just shield and wait? "

How would you feel if you passed Covid onto someone and they died?

Reply privately

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

Unless the close the borders we can go in and out of lockdown for the next 6-12 months someone out there can always bring it back into the country, Back in march I thought this would only last a few weeks a couple of months at most, But can see this going on until there is a working vaccine

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

tough shit if your elderly and helped to rebuild the country through the post war years just stay at home and venture out in the hope some moron won't be standing next to you who tested positive but has had enough..

you have underlying health issues and some of you will be working and contributing to the economy but off you go home, bye job..

It's been 7 months and people are happy to throw others under a bus.."

And people wonder how the holocaust happened. Hitler had 7 years to make a group of people disposable, it’s only taken us 7 months.

Reply privately

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

It's probably just as well that your opinion isn't really relevamt then.

Reply privately

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

"Unless the close the borders we can go in and out of lockdown for the next 6-12 months someone out there can always bring it back into the country, Back in march I thought this would only last a few weeks a couple of months at most, But can see this going on until there is a working vaccine"
There may never be a vaccine

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

It's been 7 months and people are happy to throw others under a bus.."

Absolutely this!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

And people wonder how the holocaust happened. Hitler had 7 years to make a group of people disposable, it’s only taken us 7 months."

Its all become rather unsavoury hasn't it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

And people wonder how the holocaust happened. Hitler had 7 years to make a group of people disposable, it’s only taken us 7 months."

Its terrifying how some lives are deemed less important...if you are old, or disabled, or sick then it seems you are cannon folder so Darren can go and down jagerbombs in wetherspoons on a Friday night...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

And people wonder how the holocaust happened. Hitler had 7 years to make a group of people disposable, it’s only taken us 7 months.

Its all become rather unsavoury hasn't it. "

It’s really quite scary that people care so little for others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/10/20 21:13:23]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Here's what confuses me. I doubt not one person on this forum knows how to use Google yet we are constantly being bombarded with false information.

Above is an entire thread that totally denies that a vaccine is being developed with more brains and more money behind it than any vaccine in human history. This is a vaccine that WILL be available in 2021, so where did we get three years from?????"

I've been saying this for weeks when people have said there won't be a vaccine because it takes 5 to 10 years. But as you have said there are more people working on this than there would ever normally be for a vaccine.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Here's what confuses me. I doubt not one person on this forum doesn't know how to use Google yet we are constantly being bombarded with false information.

Above is an entire thread that totally denies that a vaccine is being developed with more brains and more money behind it than any vaccine in human history. This is a vaccine that WILL be available in 2021, so where did we get three years from?????

Reply privately

over a year ago

I just do not understand people anymore and to be perfectly honest I don't like people anymore I think I'm just gonna buy a cat.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's probably just as well that your opinion isn't really relevamt then."

Never said I had the answer, hence coming to a forum. However positive or negative, everybody is entitled to their opinion, all opinions are relevant regardless. That's we are a democracy. And as my Mum says "You can learn off any idiot" Blessings to all and I wish you well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/10/20 21:15:12]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I know if i was old or vunerable i wouldnt expect the 99% of the population to change their way of life and miss out on birthday parties, weddings, holidays, events ect ect just because, if i dont do what i deem neccesary to look after myself in my position they MAY pass a virus onto me that MAY or MAY NOT be serious.

Reply privately

By *ose and her beastCouple
over a year ago

Watford

I will agree I want everyone to be safe but with job losses and no social life it feels like we are stuck in limbo

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So in essence;

Its terrifying how some lives are deemed less important...if you are old, or disabled, or sick then it seems you are cannon folder so Darren can go and down jagerbombs in wetherspoons on a Friday night..."

I’ve not fucked a stranger off the internet for a few months so I’m afraid the elderly and disabled will just have to stay indoors if they want to live.

It beggars belief.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I know if i was old or vunerable i wouldnt expect the 99% of the population to change their way of life and miss out on birthday parties, weddings, holidays, events ect ect just because, if i dont do what i deem neccesary to look after myself in my position they MAY pass a virus onto me that MAY or MAY NOT be serious."

I'm 37 years old and I am exceptionally vulnerable so what you are saying is your need for a holiday or to go to a wedding is more important than my well being and I should shut myself away not go to work or see my family so you can pretend nothing is happening

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"So in essence;

Scary isnt it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Here's what confuses me. I doubt not one person on this forum knows how to use Google yet we are constantly being bombarded with false information.

Above is an entire thread that totally denies that a vaccine is being developed with more brains and more money behind it than any vaccine in human history. This is a vaccine that WILL be available in 2021, so where did we get three years from?????

I've been saying this for weeks when people have said there won't be a vaccine because it takes 5 to 10 years. But as you have said there are more people working on this than there would ever normally be for a vaccine. "

It's an inconvenient truth that kills their argument and therefore ignore it.

They started production of this vaccine in August already. There will be 2 billion doses available by the time it's approved.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Only real sense spoken in here and least selfish.

Imagine if some here were running the country we'd have a great economy for say 3 months but no health care to deal with simple routine operations and ordinary ailments. Then they'll need to find billions more from somewhere to start the NHS again, imagine the back log. Re-election wouldn't be far round the corner

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality. "
Because it's about 40% of the population.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I know if i was old or vunerable i wouldnt expect the 99% of the population to change their way of life and miss out on birthday parties, weddings, holidays, events ect ect just because, if i dont do what i deem neccesary to look after myself in my position they MAY pass a virus onto me that MAY or MAY NOT be serious."

You’re 30, you haven’t a fucking clue how you would feel if you were old or vulnerable.

Oh and 40% of the population are vulnerable.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality. Because it's about 40% of the population. "

And that in itself is an awful figure to admit to for our nations health.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I know if i was old or vunerable i wouldnt expect the 99% of the population to change their way of life and miss out on birthday parties, weddings, holidays, events ect ect just because, if i dont do what i deem neccesary to look after myself in my position they MAY pass a virus onto me that MAY or MAY NOT be serious.

I'm 37 years old and I am exceptionally vulnerable so what you are saying is your need for a holiday or to go to a wedding is more important than my well being and I should shut myself away not go to work or see my family so you can pretend nothing is happening "

I love how everyone who isn't vulnerable thinks they can speak for those that are. You just know what is coming next when someone says 'if I was older or vulnerable'..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality. "

You stayed away from your gran, you didn’t force her to stay in her house so you weren’t inconvenienced.

Reply privately

By *r_FaustusMan
over a year ago

Northampton

Re vaccines:

Yes, there’s one in development

Yes, it may work

However,

1. It may not work

2. SARS-CoV-19 seems to be worse the second time round, perhaps because of immune system overstimulation. If a vaccine does that, then it will be of no value and may make people unwell.

DoI: medic; vaccines are great; science is great; masks are necessary; look after yourselves and others please x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Funny how the concept of quarantining people coming into the country at the beginning of this pandemic was unthinkable. How will we keep hundreds of thousands of people from the general population????

Now we think we can keep millions of people separate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I know if i was old or vunerable i wouldnt expect the 99% of the population to change their way of life and miss out on birthday parties, weddings, holidays, events ect ect just because, if i dont do what i deem neccesary to look after myself in my position they MAY pass a virus onto me that MAY or MAY NOT be serious.

I'm 37 years old and I am exceptionally vulnerable so what you are saying is your need for a holiday or to go to a wedding is more important than my well being and I should shut myself away not go to work or see my family so you can pretend nothing is happening "

Thats not what i was saying, i was saying if i was in your unfortunate position i wouldnt expect the 99% to miss out on anything they wish to do or have their businesses suffer just because i may have to alter my way of life to protect myself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm 37 years old and I am exceptionally vulnerable so what you are saying is your need for a holiday or to go to a wedding is more important than my well being and I should shut myself away not go to work or see my family so you can pretend nothing is happening

I love how everyone who isn't vulnerable thinks they can speak for those that are. You just know what is coming next when someone says 'if I was older or vulnerable'..

"

Exactly. I'm 37 and have a condition that makes me very valuable but I work, live an active and full life but my life doesn't matter as much. Its really getting to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I just do not understand people anymore and to be perfectly honest I don't like people anymore I think I'm just gonna buy a cat. "

Cats scratch, get a dog..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thats not what i was saying, i was saying if i was in your unfortunate position i wouldnt expect the 99% to miss out on anything they wish to do or have their businesses suffer just because i may have to alter my way of life to protect myself."

What unfortunate position?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thats not what i was saying, i was saying if i was in your unfortunate position i wouldnt expect the 99% to miss out on anything they wish to do or have their businesses suffer just because i may have to alter my way of life to protect myself.

What unfortunate position?"

Ohand just so you know 40% of the population is vulnerable so actually it's not 99%.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

My best friend is vulnerable

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thats not what i was saying, i was saying if i was in your unfortunate position i wouldnt expect the 99% to miss out on anything they wish to do or have their businesses suffer just because i may have to alter my way of life to protect myself."

It’s not 99% the ‘vulnerable’ make up around 40% of the population. 15% of the population are under 18 so that leaves 45% pretty much even.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Figures for yesterday are at 0.42% deaths (every death is tragic) in the 19,000 positive results. Far far from where we were in April 21 28%. 1100 death of the 3900 cases..

How can anyone say its still as deadly as it was?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Figures for yesterday are at 0.42% deaths (every death is tragic) in the 19,000 positive results. Far far from where we were in April 21 28%. 1100 death of the 3900 cases..

How can anyone say its still as deadly as it was? "

Give it a couple of weeks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I met a vulnerable person once.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I met a vulnerable person once."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Re vaccines:

Yes, there’s one in development

Yes, it may work

However,

1. It may not work

2. SARS-CoV-19 seems to be worse the second time round, perhaps because of immune system overstimulation. If a vaccine does that, then it will be of no value and may make people unwell.

DoI: medic; vaccines are great; science is great; masks are necessary; look after yourselves and others please x"

Well all we have to go on is the results of trials thus far and they are positive.

Making vaccines is not a new concept. Why should we be able to produce a new cocktail of flu vaccines every year, but suddenly fail?

It seems people don't want to believe there is a solution. Hysteria is so much more fun!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

So your saying if you classed yourself as vunerable you would expect the whole population to miss out on some enjoyable aspects of their life and potentially lose their businesses, homes ect for 1% of the population, that could actually take some common sense steps to still live the best life possible in their position??

Reply privately

over a year ago

The problem is people think but if you are in the vulnerable category somehow your life is diminished somehow anyway. That really isn't the case and actually there is lots of reasons that make someone who would otherwise be fairly healthy vulnerable to this virus.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So your saying if you classed yourself as vunerable you would expect the whole population to miss out on some enjoyable aspects of their life and potentially lose their businesses, homes ect for 1% of the population, that could actually take some common sense steps to still live the best life possible in their position??"

What part of its actually 40% of the population are you not understanding?

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Aren’t the old and vulnerable entitled to experience these things again, the simple family occasions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Figures for yesterday are at 0.42% deaths (every death is tragic) in the 19,000 positive results. Far far from where we were in April 21 28%. 1100 death of the 3900 cases..

Perhaps there is a difference between coming out of winter with a Vitamin D deficienct population and going into winter?

They say masks have made the 'viral load' smaller. This is an argument to continue using masks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So your saying if you classed yourself as vunerable you would expect the whole population to miss out on some enjoyable aspects of their life and potentially lose their businesses, homes ect for 1% of the population, that could actually take some common sense steps to still live the best life possible in their position??"

How many times do you need to be told the vulnerable make up 40% of the population?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Aren’t the old and vulnerable entitled to experience these things again, the simple family occasions. "

Apparently not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So your saying if you classed yourself as vunerable you would expect the whole population to miss out on some enjoyable aspects of their life and potentially lose their businesses, homes ect for 1% of the population, that could actually take some common sense steps to still live the best life possible in their position??

How many times do you need to be told the vulnerable make up 40% of the population?"

You keep copying me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many times do you need to be told the vulnerable make up 40% of the population?

You keep copying me. "

You’re just a faster typist

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Put them in camps?

Essentially they would be better off being able to mix with each other than some isolating alone..

Might sound tongue in cheek but it's been half suggested before..

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all here, more positive tests, less deaths... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

Essentially they would be better off being able to mix with each other than some isolating alone..

"

I'm only going if its got a hot tub.

Reply privately

By *upergirthukMan
over a year ago

Honolulu

I would prefer to see some WHO recommendations put in place. Right at the very start (before March) they said the key is testing and tracking. It now seems so obvious. We haven't done it or even tried by the looks of things and we are paying the price."

I wouldn't trust WHO with my lif though as they are the reason diabetes is at crazy levels when they offered carbs up as a valid alternative to feed on to replace fat. They aren't as carbs end up damaging your pancreas and render it ineffective in processing carbs which in turn raise blood sugar levels and cause diabetes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality.

You stayed away from your gran, you didn’t force her to stay in her house so you weren’t inconvenienced."

So I guess we are just back at consideration for others around us, and mask wearing and distancing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

I'm only going if its got a hot tub. "

Mind sharing with 15 million people?

Reply privately

over a year ago

What part of its actually 40% of the population are you not understanding?"

Iv only just seen that figure as i was replying to another message, and if that number is correct or not it makes no odds, i wouldnt expect anyone to change their way of life to protect me, even if vunerable (unless disabled) people can still do whatever it takes to look after themselves, by all means id help anyone if they needed it but life goes on, its short enough as it is and people are missing out on certain aspects when they are perfectly sble to be doing whatever they want and also people need their busnesses to work to pay taxes to pay the vunerable people who cant work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

How can you not see that this is less about deaths and more about saving the NHS in order to cope.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

Mind sharing with 15 million people?"

Why not. At least we will all be in the same boats and I won't have to put up with being told that somehow I'm a drain on society and stopping people going to weddings and parties. We can have our own parties while the other 40% have to do all the hard work and pay for us to have an absolute ball I actually quite like this idea.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I never quite get the reasoning behind why the old and vulnerable are considered to be thrown under the bus. By the very definition they are vulnerable and as such we take proper care for their health anyway with all the bugs we currently have. Care workers not allowed at work with certain illnesses etc. I remember not seeing my dear old Gran for many winters if ever we had colds or stomach bugs. We can manage to keep vulnerable safe in general in everyday life, Im not sure why it is considered such an unworkable thing to achieve now without resorting to the 'lock them up and forget them horror' mentality.

You stayed away from your gran, you didn’t force her to stay in her house so you weren’t inconvenienced.

So I guess we are just back at consideration for others around us, and mask wearing and distancing "

Bbbbbut not being able to get a leg over is killing people! It's worse than Covid!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

Why not. At least we will all be in the same boats and I won't have to put up with being told that somehow I'm a drain on society and stopping people going to weddings and parties. We can have our own parties while the other 40% have to do all the hard work and pay for us to have an absolute ball I actually quite like this idea. "

Got room for one more

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am getting my inflatable canoe out and setting off for the Isle of Man. Wish me Luck

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

Why not. At least we will all be in the same boats and I won't have to put up with being told that somehow I'm a drain on society and stopping people going to weddings and parties. We can have our own parties while the other 40% have to do all the hard work and pay for us to have an absolute ball I actually quite like this idea.

Got room for one more "

Maybe but are you vulnerable enough?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Put them in camps?

Got room for one more

Maybe but are you vulnerable enough? "

I can be

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let's get this straight.

Are there NO businesses functioning in the UK right now?

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Put them in camps?

Why not. At least we will all be in the same boats and I won't have to put up with being told that somehow I'm a drain on society and stopping people going to weddings and parties. We can have our own parties while the other 40% have to do all the hard work and pay for us to have an absolute ball I actually quite like this idea. "

It has merit..

Reply privately

over a year ago

What part of its actually 40% of the population are you not understanding?

Iv only just seen that figure as i was replying to another message, and if that number is correct or not it makes no odds, i wouldnt expect anyone to change their way of life to protect me, even if vunerable (unless disabled) people can still do whatever it takes to look after themselves, by all means id help anyone if they needed it but life goes on, its short enough as it is and people are missing out on certain aspects when they are perfectly sble to be doing whatever they want and also people need their busnesses to work to pay taxes to pay the vunerable people who cant work."

How about you help people by socially distancing, sanitising, wearing a mask, and accepting that there will be some restrictions on your activities so that you aren’t endangering others unnecessarily?

Or by helping do you mean so long as you aren’t inconvenienced in any way?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Well you're not Comparing like with like.

Today we are testing 300k per day. In April it was something like 25k per day.

Today we test contacts of people infected. In April you could only get a test if you were admitted to hospital and showing symptoms.

Hospitalisation now 10 times what it was 4 weeks ago. Ventilated patients up to over 500.

1000 per day admitted to hospital.

Care homes now wearing Ppe and testing... In April they weren't.

You can't compare the two.

Nonetheless. If it is less deadly. That will be fantastic news.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Today we test contacts of people infected. In April you could only get a test if you were admitted to hospital and showing symptoms.

Hospitalisation now 10 times what it was 4 weeks ago. Ventilated patients up to over 500.

Nonetheless. If it is less deadly. That will be fantastic news. "

Care homes were not wearing ppe in april ?

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

You may have misunderstood the scene op. First priority - don't harm or kill others. Clubs and the site are focused only on social and socially distanced meetings.

If you want the NHS to be overwhelmed, unable to care well for anyone with any health problems or facing lifesaving needs, then we would relax any virus controls for the majority of the population. Otherwise we need to get the government to take the right decisions and the public to support everyone else.

The reality is that we are facing little compared to the elders amongst us who came through world war 2. We definitely have people who have had massive impacts on their mental health and they should be respected and provided with support. We are intelligent enough to learn from what we've done so far and to improve our approach. Giving up is not an option for our future wellbeing

Reply privately

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

I wouldn't trust WHO with my lif though as they are the reason diabetes is at crazy levels when they offered carbs up as a valid alternative to feed on to replace fat. They aren't as carbs end up damaging your pancreas and render it ineffective in processing carbs which in turn raise blood sugar levels and cause diabetes. "

When was this?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You may have misunderstood the scene op. First priority - don't harm or kill others. Clubs and the site are focused only on social and socially distanced meetings.

If you want the NHS to be overwhelmed, unable to care well for anyone with any health problems or facing lifesaving needs, then we would relax any virus controls for the majority of the population. Otherwise we need to get the government to take the right decisions and the public to support everyone else.

The reality is that we are facing little compared to the elders amongst us who came through world war 2. We definitely have people who have had massive impacts on their mental health and they should be respected and provided with support. We are intelligent enough to learn from what we've done so far and to improve our approach. Giving up is not an option for our future wellbeing "

You always speak sense.

Reply privately

By *igh wide and handsomeMan
over a year ago

Dagenham

Also only get tested if you have serious symptoms or in hospital so you dont drive up the 'positive' or 'false positive' tests and then covid will slowly start to dissappear from the news and tv and we will all be able to get on with life as normal and the economy will be saved

So if you are disabled or chronically ill it’s awful that you are already excluded from so much but tough shit because now you’re going to have to stay the fuck out of the way because er aren’t going to change one fucking thing about our lives.

Does that pretty much sum it up?"

But aren't you staying out the way already??

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can I ask, did you actually believe any of that as you typed it, seriously?

Btw... you may not realise but some of the 15,000,000 vulnerable people in the U.K. may actually live amongst the non vulnerable. They might be their mum, dad, partner, flat mate etc...

Reply privately

By *r FirecrackerMan
over a year ago

London

The volume of misinformation on this thread and site is staggering, for the love of god learn how to fact check. I will give you a clue, facts will rarely appear on FB and Twitter! This is due to them being drowned out by the same crap I am reading on here.

I know it’s far from ideal but saying let’s sacrifice people through herd immunity (not proven to be a real thing yet!) in order to save the economy and allow us to socialise again is at best.....barbaric.

If you choose to ignore the rules and catch Covid from pure ignorance then I hope it puts you on your back, for good. It happened to one of those so called influencers recently in Poland, he said it wasn’t real, he’s now dead. Pull your heads out of the sand and help save people’s lives.

Also available for children’s parties

Reply privately

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

I've read 'vulnerable ' so many times in here, how is it worked out?

What is vulnerable actually and given how I've never seen anything to suggest that 40% of the population is likely to die from covid, how that figure is now coming up?

There could be 40% of our population considered medically vulnerable but that doesn't automatically mean they will become seriously ill or even show any symptoms of covid.

There is precedent that people at risk medically speaking, shield or avoid various things (heart and lung transplant patient being kept in semi isolation as an eg)

Why assume that it's people that want to get sex or go to the pub are the only people that are open to considering all options?

Why can't we all pull together and give anyone that wants to keep themselves safe, work from home and those that feel the economy needs emergency help, to go out and work /help re-engage the economy?

It's not one or the other.

Not everyone that worries about the economy or their child's education/future employment wants to see the vulnerable locked away and not everyone considered medically vulnerable wants the rest of the country forced into isolation and or lock down.

It's disgraceful that our nhs is so understaffed and under resourced that every year they struggle with flu patients.

It's disgraceful that we didn't get testing properly back in March and that we still are not testing enough now, months on

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I've read 'vulnerable ' so many times in here, how is it worked out?

What is vulnerable actually and given how I've never seen anything to suggest that 40% of the population is likely to die from covid, how that figure is now coming up?

There could be 40% of our population considered medically vulnerable but that doesn't automatically mean they will become seriously ill or even show any symptoms of covid.

There is precedent that people at risk medically speaking, shield or avoid various things (heart and lung transplant patient being kept in semi isolation as an eg)

Why assume that it's people that want to get sex or go to the pub are the only people that are open to considering all options?

Why can't we all pull together and give anyone that wants to keep themselves safe, work from home and those that feel the economy needs emergency help, to go out and work /help re-engage the economy?

Not everyone that worries about the economy or their child's education/future employment wants to see the vulnerable locked away and not everyone considered medically vulnerable wants the rest of the country forced into isolation and or lock down.

It's disgraceful that our nhs is so understaffed and under resourced that every year they struggle with flu patients.

It's disgraceful that we didn't get testing properly back in March and that we still are not testing enough now, months on "

We live in an inherently selfish society.

For the last 40 years we have been told it's the individual that matters not society.

It's not really a surprise then when some people have a 'I'm alright Jack 'attitude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But aren't you staying out the way already??"

Not particularly, we’ve not been to a pub or restaurant or the like since all this started but we go shopping and go to work as normal, adhering to social distancing, face masks and hand washing. It’s a small price to pay to keep people safe.

Reply privately

By *upergirthukMan
over a year ago

Honolulu

"

I wouldn't trust WHO with my lif though as they are the reason diabetes is at crazy levels when they offered carbs up as a valid alternative to feed on to replace fat. They aren't as carbs end up damaging your pancreas and render it ineffective in processing carbs which in turn raise blood sugar levels and cause diabetes.

When was this?"

Late 70s.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Took 25yrs for a chicken pox vaccine.

There are multiple strains of flu too.

Just adding my bar-humbug approach..

Sorry

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The volume of misinformation on this thread and site is staggering, for the love of god learn how to fact check. I will give you a clue, facts will rarely appear on FB and Twitter! This is due to them being drowned out by the same crap I am reading on here.

I know it’s far from ideal but saying let’s sacrifice people through herd immunity (not proven to be a real thing yet!) in order to save the economy and allow us to socialise again is at best.....barbaric.

If you choose to ignore the rules and catch Covid from pure ignorance then I hope it puts you on your back, for good. It happened to one of those so called influencers recently in Poland, he said it wasn’t real, he’s now dead. Pull your heads out of the sand and help save people’s lives.

Also available for children’s parties "

What are these 'facts' you speak of? They went out the revolving door when social media came in

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Took 25yrs for a chicken pox vaccine.

There are multiple strains of flu too.

Just adding my bar-humbug approach..

Sorry"

And STILL no herd immunity...

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

We are going to have to learn to live with this virus. I think people are holding out a little too much hope on the vaccine being a magic bullet.

It’s all such new ground. The vulnerable and those around them will need to be careful for years.

Its going to take a long time for anything approaching normality.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

I agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We are going to have to learn to live with this virus. I think people are holding out a little too much hope on the vaccine being a magic bullet.

It’s all such new ground. The vulnerable and those around them will need to be careful for years.

Its going to take a long time for anything approaching normality. "

Can you supply reasoning behind this statement?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Smallpox is estimated to have killed up to 300 million people in the 20th century and around 500 million people in the last 100 years of its existence. 

It killed 3 out of 10 people infected.

How many people do you know died of smallpox?

Why?

Reply privately

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"

When was this?

Late 70s."

Hmmm

Science evolves

People learn

Things change

Idiots and brexiteers live in the past

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"We are going to have to learn to live with this virus. I think people are holding out a little too much hope on the vaccine being a magic bullet.

Can you supply reasoning behind this statement?"

Yes sir Patrick Vallance said it today and the chap whose name I forget said it over the weekend when they were showing the vaccines on the production line.

Most vaccine companies are urging caution.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's disgraceful that we didn't get testing properly back in March and that we still are not testing enough now, months on "

Reply privately

By *moothman2000Man
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

When was this?

Late 70s."

I've been diabetic since 1970 and have never heard of, or indeed experienced this.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

We test 300k per day. How many is enough?

Testing only works when as a result of the test you change your behaviour.

If you don't change your behaviour the test is irrelevant. It's not the testing process that is flawed. It's enforcing the isolation, the accurate provision of contact details. That's down to people.

Reply privately

By *igh wide and handsomeMan
over a year ago

Dagenham

But aren't you staying out the way already??

Not particularly, we’ve not been to a pub or restaurant or the like since all this started but we go shopping and go to work as normal, adhering to social distancing, face masks and hand washing. It’s a small price to pay to keep people safe."

But if your socially distancing while working and shopping, and not been to pubs and restaurants, isn't that the essence of staying out the way??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

When was this?

Late 70s.

I've been diabetic since 1970 and have never heard of, or indeed experienced this."

He maybe means type 2 diabetes .

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm sick of arguing about this, nobody I know wants to let this virus rip through society, nobody.

What people on my side of the fence are saying is that herd immunity is gonna beat a vaccine to the end goal anyhow and there's two ways we can go about it.

1 haphazard like right now which is killing the economy at the same time

2 managed by sheltering the vulnerable section of society the best we can while letting the virus take it's natural course through society while maintaining a workable economy for all of us.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes sir Patrick Vallance said it today and the chap whose name I forget said it over the weekend when they were showing the vaccines on the production line.

Most vaccine companies are urging caution. "

I find it strange that at the same time as the vaccine is being dismissed as a solution, governments are fighting over who gets it first. There are around 40 different developments currently taking place with more money being thrown at this than any other medical development and yet we are pessimistic.

Won't we all loom stupid if by July next year Covid-19 is a thing of the past?

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I find it strange that at the same time as the vaccine is being dismissed as a solution, governments are fighting over who gets it first. There are around 40 different developments currently taking place with more money being thrown at this than any other medical development and yet we are pessimistic.

Won't we all loom stupid if by July next year Covid-19 is a thing of the past?"

I’m not dismissing it as a solution but it’s not going to make it disappear overnight. We need to be realistic with our expectations. We can throw the kitchen sink at it but evaluation time is needed because of the unknown quantity of the virus.

Money and resources can’t buy time.

Reply privately

By *ucianpoundCouple
over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

At the beginning of 1996 our family went down with the Flu, it was a dreadful time and it was six weeks before we were all fit again.

Non of us have been ill with the Flu since.

This virus is not the flu but we and 6 other friends all tested positive during August in Cap D’Agde.

Mostly, we all had a few rough days but no where near our 1996 experience.

With only 7 recorded cases of folks having the virus twice we all now feel a certain immunity and feel that having had, and surviving, Covid is as good as a vaccine will ever be.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"At the beginning of 1996 our family went down with the Flu, it was a dreadful time and it was six weeks before we were all fit again.

This virus is not the flu but we and 6 other friends all tested positive during August in Cap D’Agde.

With only 7 recorded cases of folks having the virus twice we all now feel a certain immunity and feel that having had, and surviving, Covid is as good as a vaccine will ever be.

"

But..not everyone will.survive covid?

And cant you catch the flu more than once?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"At the beginning of 1996 our family went down with the Flu, it was a dreadful time and it was six weeks before we were all fit again.

And cant you catch the flu more than once?"

Every single virus is catchable more than once if you apply outliers, it's a true statement.

However the risk of you catching a particular virus twice is extremely remote in most cases as is with this one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There will be more casualties and the health services are going to be under massive strain, but if we keep going in circles with so called "lockdowns" which will become harder and harder for people to stick to, the damage will be far greater. "

Totally agree.. this is just a natural circle of life that we have to do our best to deal with but to keep going under lockdown it puts far greater strain on everyone and everything else for the sake of saving an extremely low percentage of ppl. Businesses shut down, national and global economy gone to hell.. general quality of life is and will continue to drop for the masses. Being pro-life has serious deminishing effects on so many others. Being pro-humanity is far more logical and a safer route to take. Ive had so many ppl attack me for having this opinion on the entire situation.. but honestly.. i wonder how long they can keep up this way of life before their way of life get ground down to the point they completely lose their shit too

Reply privately

By *ucianpoundCouple
over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

And cant you catch the flu more than once?"

Yes, of course this is a particularly nasty virus but the survival rates are 98% plus.

There are as yet no vaccines for a host of deadly diseases including HIV and even the flu jab only protects you a few months.

Pinning your hopes on a miraculous vaccine might prove a very long away hope!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m not dismissing it as a solution but it’s not going to make it disappear overnight. We need to be realistic with our expectations. We can throw the kitchen sink at it but evaluation time is needed because of the unknown quantity of the virus.

Money and resources can’t buy time. "

I think somewhere between the two extremes of it being a futile effort and it being an overnight cure, lies the reality that things will start to get better as the vaccine is rolled out.

I find it strange that so many of the supporters of herd immunity are negative about the vaccine when both methods are derived from the same principles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think somewhere between the two extremes of it being a futile effort and it being an overnight cure, lies the reality that things will start to get better as the vaccine is rolled out.

I find it strange that so many of the supporters of herd immunity are negative about the vaccine when both methods are derived from the same principles. "

Antibody rich blood plasma will be the way forward. Sucking on the blood of the infected.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And cant you catch the flu more than once?

Yes, of course this is a particularly nasty virus but the survival rates are 98% plus.

There are as yet no vaccines for a host of deadly diseases including HIV and even the flu jab only protects you a few months.

Pinning your hopes on a miraculous vaccine might prove a very long away hope!"

Why would this vaccine be "miraculous". Many other ailments have been cured with vaccines.

By the way it isn't a single vaccine. There are some 40 separate developments taking place around the world. The chances of none of them working is remote.

Our biggest danger lies in the virus mutating into something worse.

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I find it strange that so many of the supporters of herd immunity are negative about the vaccine when both methods are derived from the same principles. "

I’m not a supporter of herd immunity. I’m a supporter of taking the measures we have already such as distancing, mask wearing and even the basics of hand washing. Then a vaccine.

But we need to be realistic. The virus isn’t going to disappear overnight because of the vaccine. And sadly a lot more people will die.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not negative on vaccines I just can't see a reliable one being rolled out to enough people before this virus already does what it was going to do anyway.

In a long term solution it's going to be good, in a short term one I think we'll be up shit creek with the vaccination centre on fire long before it gets good enough to be a solution.

In an ideal perfect world we shouldn't have to make choices like this but sadly it isn't and we do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it strange that so many of the supporters of herd immunity are negative about the vaccine when both methods are derived from the same principles.

Antibody rich blood plasma will be the way forward. Sucking on the blood of the infected. "

Epitaph:

Survived Covid-19. Died of hepatitis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not negative on vaccines I just can't see a reliable one being rolled out to enough people before this virus already does what it was going to do anyway.

In a long term solution it's going to be good, in a short term one I think we'll be up shit creek with the vaccination centre on fire long before it gets good enough to be a solution.

In an ideal perfect world we shouldn't have to make choices like this but sadly it isn't and we do."

By the time the vaccine is given the green light we should have manufactured about 2 billion doses. So it's going to be a matter of how fast we can roll it out.

But from the day it starts the chances of getting it from the person next to you diminishes.

No one is saying it will be an overnight cure. I don't know why everything has to be taken to extremes.

I did a calculation on another thread with the data available at the time and showed how it would take 37 years for us to achieve herd immunity. Of course that assumed linear progression. Exponential progression implied a horrific death toll.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m not a supporter of herd immunity. I’m a supporter of taking the measures we have already such as distancing, mask wearing and even the basics of hand washing. Then a vaccine.

But we need to be realistic. The virus isn’t going to disappear overnight because of the vaccine. And sadly a lot more people will die. "

I'm with you there. I'm currently in Gran Canaria where the virus is headed in a different direction. The numbers are down to the 20's per 100 000. Bars are extending their hours etc.

Why?

Because people are doing what needs to be done. Those that don't can get a huge fine. When everyone gets on board the virus is screwed. It relies on the selfish to survive.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Good points. The estimate of the vulnerable was increased from 25% to about 40% of the population. The elderly are a core part, as are those with recognised traits leaving them vulnerable - this includes what would become comorbidities after getting infected, the BAME populations and others.

Imposing segregation onto ethnic minorities here would be viewed as a repeat of apartheid from the past.

I'm inclined to think that a 2 tier society, 1 group living as they wish, spreading infection amongst themselves and indirectly to the 2nd group, who get imposed lockdown, wouldn't be an acceptable choice for society, as much as some may want it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In an ideal perfect world we shouldn't have to make choices like this but sadly it isn't and we do.

By the time the vaccine is given the green light we should have manufactured about 2 billion doses. So it's going to be a matter of how fast we can roll it out.

But from the day it starts the chances of getting it from the person next to you diminishes.

No one is saying it will be an overnight cure. I don't know why everything has to be taken to extremes.

I did a calculation on another thread with the data available at the time and showed how it would take 37 years for us to achieve herd immunity. Of course that assumed linear progression. Exponential progression implied a horrific death toll."

The Western world is in a slightly more precarious position than most, our liabilities are massive, our deficits are massive and our debt is unserviceable and all those things are based on growth, now you may think growth is a bad thing and maybe it's about time it stopped or rolled back a bit, you might think your one of the fortune with a good government pension due soon or a private pension invested in financial shanigans!, lots of savings,a secure job, a mortgage with only a small LTV ratio.,,

Either way when things go south in the West all these things are going to unwind really fucking fast, like Christmas time and once Pandora escapes her box all the king's horses and all the vaccines in the world aren't going to put her back inside.

Do you think they'll hold an autumn budget this year or leave it till spring? And on that point one statistic jumps out, public debt it twenty times larger than government debt, were already at negative interest rates, unemployment is going one way and no amount of government spending can overcome those problems. Currently

Half the country is petrified and the half unhappy, if your vaccine doesn't arrive by April were fucked

And not in a good way, so as Captain Kirk used to say, we need warp speed now Scotty

Reply privately

over a year ago

Il not be dodging it 3 years if it kills me so be it afterlife looks more fun

Reply privately

By * Plus ECouple
over a year ago

The South

But you're not taking your own chances.

You're risking passing on to potentially thousands of other people.

The NHS is struggling to cope as it is. Open the doors as you suggest and the NHS will collapse overnight.

Your suggestions are a hard no from me.

E

Reply privately

over a year ago

Has anybody seen crimson tide!.

The excellent Captain Denzel Washington has to make a decision to seal the bilge bay door with men inside trying to make emergency repairs.

I believe his reply to the statement by the crew saying there's men in there that are going to die is.

Seal that god damn hatch before we all go down..

Time for bed

Reply privately

By *ranimallxl5Man
over a year ago

Winchester

Who would have that there would be so many narcissistic selfish people on here

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Has anybody seen crimson tide!.

The excellent Captain Denzel Washington has to make a decision to seal the bilge bay door with men inside trying to make emergency repairs.

I believe his reply to the statement by the crew saying there's men in there that are going to die is.

Time for bed

"

Obvious point... we aren’t on a submarine hunni x

Helping others will test us, not kill us.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Has anybody seen crimson tide!.

Time for bed

"

Have you seen Pitch Perfect?

The excellent Anna Kendrick puts on pause her solo musical dreams to enable the Barton Bellas to become USA acapella champions...

#acascuseme

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

The virus needs a host to

1. Infect

2. Develop

3. Spread

1. Is not guaranteed.

Distancing reduces the opportunity

Cleanliness can also kill the virus

2. Is not guaranteed.

Some immune systems neutralise the virus.

The "viral load" may have been too low

3. Is not guaranteed.

Distancing reduces the opportunity and that chain goes no further.

Effective quarantine stops it dead in its tracks.

The virus needs a few key elements and it's easy to see what parts we can all play to reduce its effectiveness.

What I'd like to see is a highly-developed track and trace system for the virus itself.

We have the ability to detect seismic events the other side of the world. We can detect the after effects of supernova explosions in galaxies billions of light years away. We have scanners that can detect. We have ACE-ID scanners than are handheld and used to detect solids, liquids, gels and powders in 20 seconds and provide a chemical analysis. We have so many types of scanners (that we know about). We wear Fitbits and the like.

A virus has a "signature", in layman's terms. It's nothing unusual in that regard. It has a unique signature that identifies it as that specific virus.

If we can train dogs to "sniff out" cancer, and other diseases, and covid as well, then it means the virus has another weakness...it can be detected non-invasively. And rapidly.

And that brings me to an advanced wearable that detects the virus. It could alert you if you had it on your person. Or if someone in close proximity to you did. Or an object near you, like a door handle you were about to touch.

I don't think it's in the realm of impossibility.

Yes, there are medical ethics and personal privacy issues to think about.

I'd like to think that if your "bangle" goes red and it implies you have or are close to the virus, no one is going to shoot you, they'd just move away from you. Which is exactly the worst thing for a virus trying to pass on needs.

I suppose you could say "what if you are red, and the person next to you on the train suddenly goes red too. You have outed yourself, and they may retaliate."

If you are red, you shouldn't be on the train in the first place. Red means "get thee in to isolation and quarantine. Take countermeasures".

I suppose the bottom line is, if we had the tech to detect the virus, even close proximity, say 5 feet or so, we could rapidly identify and deal with it very easily and shut down the virus from spreading effectively too.

I know billions are being spent on vaccines. Could just a little bit be spent on advanced detection systems ? Perhaps it is in development, who knows.

Reply privately

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Ok, should have Googled first.

Can't post the link obviously, but search for

"New Biosensor Detects COVID-19 Virus in Air"

Promising indeed for many reasons.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Who would have that there would be so many narcissistic selfish people on here "

Reply privately

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"Unless the close the borders we can go in and out of lockdown for the next 6-12 months someone out there can always bring it back into the country, Back in march I thought this would only last a few weeks a couple of months at most, But can see this going on until there is a working vaccine"

People are selfish and not prepared to give up anything. Good god not have a holiday are you joking

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Totally agree.. this is just a natural circle of life that we have to do our best to deal with but to keep going under lockdown it puts far greater strain on everyone and everything else....

*for the sake of saving an extremely low percentage of ppl.*..."

This extremely low percentage includes... My mother, my best friends granddaughter, my neighbour whose son had leukaemia, my numerous work colleagues who all have vulnerable family, friends... all would die if they contracted Covid!

For their sakes, I’m pleased most do not have your attitude!

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Here's an idea. What if the vulnerable (40%) and the reasonable (lets say another 40%) just eliminate the idiots and the spreaders who are the real cause of everything going to shit? Leaving aside the children (15%) it's only about 5% that are causing the problem. Instead of putting the 40% vulnerable into isolation, lets get the 5% who do 95% of the spreading and dump them all on some remote island. They can infect each other as much as they want then, they've all volunteered to be there by their own actions. These are the people who keep saying it's not reasonable for a large number to be disadvantaged by the actions of a few. So let's take them at their word, they are the few, they are the ones doing most of the endangering, they are the ones that should be shoved somewhere out of the way. Then the rest of us can wear our masks, wash our hands, keep our distance, make compromises in the way we work and live, keep the health service running, let cancer patients etc get the medical procedures they need, allow the economy to stay afloat. Get rid of the selfish 5% that refuse to help in any way, and the 95% of good people will keep it under control just fine.

Reply privately

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman
over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

Threads like this make me so sad as so many seem to be forgetting the mentally vulnerable.

I wonder how many you you are all coupled up, so have someone to cuddle into a night.

How many of you have been allowed to work, earn money etc.

I, like most, have followed all the guidelines (which have been stricter here than in the uk).

I never left the house for three months other than for shopping.

I haven’t worked since March, because I’m not allowed to. Because I have a contracted gig, I’m an amateur at the job I’ve done for 30years... and even in the uk it was suggested I retrain... so my previous years of training obviously don’t matter.

I’m a very tactile person and haven’t snuggled into anyone since the new year. Not a cuddle, not a snog... because I’m following guidelines and not being selfish

All that, leading me back into depression with anxiety so bad at times it cripples me. It was so bad a few weeks ago I almost called an ambulance as I was convinced it was a heart attack.

I have asthma and a bit overweight too so also fall into the vulnerable category.

I am desperate to work again, any job would do but there’s nothing to be found. I desperately want someone to curl into and just have some human contact. I’ve never gone so long in my entire life without so much as a cuddle.

Folk like me are being made to feel our lives aren’t as valuable because every now and then we have a moan about the situation

We’re made to feel like selfish pariahs by the self righteous sometimes and that is just as bad

I can’t recall a night in months I haven’t cried myself to sleep, worrying about money, work, general sadness. Falling asleep wondering what’s the point of waking up anyway as there seems to be no light at the end of this.

I’m very much at the point of thinking let’s get back to normal(ish) and reopen businesses. Allow us back to work, meeting new people and take our chances.

No matter what course of action we take, people will and are suffering

Reply privately

over a year ago

Curious. How you gonna protect the vulnerable? Let's assume your gran is vulnerable and has care to get her up etc, how will she protected?

I ask because the people who help protect the vulnerable, are also the people that need immunity.

Reply privately

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Exactly. But, people can’t seem to accept these facts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly. But, people can’t seem to accept these facts. "

I love the “we need to move on”... we can’t, we are over a barrel, that’s the only fact you need to know

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

How did you arrive at 3 years OP? What's the reasoning behind that comment?

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

[Removed by poster at 20/10/20 06:31:54]

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I'm sick of arguing about this, nobody I know wants to let this virus rip through society, nobody.

What people on my side of the fence are saying is that herd immunity is gonna beat a vaccine to the end goal anyhow and there's two ways we can go about it.

1 haphazard like right now which is killing the economy at the same time

2 managed by sheltering the vulnerable section of society the best we can while letting the virus take it's natural course through society while maintaining a workable economy for all of us."

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Nonetheless. If it is less deadly. That will be fantastic news.

Care homes were not wearing ppe in april ?"

There was a shortage of ppe.

Reply privately

By *atJWMan
over a year ago

Bishop Waltham

[Removed by poster at 20/10/20 06:55:43]

Reply privately

over a year ago

where are all the people who talk about protecting the elderly(who fought for this country,protected this country)etc etc

normally we should be talking about fuel poverty and the dangers of winter at this time of the year,so far all I'm hearing is:-

"fuck the fucking lot of them,I have it worse than they did(ww1,ww2),I'm missing the footie and the pub.fuck you old people"

of course it's not just the elderly,as it appears to be a backlash movement of eugenics(physical/social) born out of vile selfishness and impatience.

Reply privately

By *ab jamesMan
over a year ago

ribble valley

My brother owns and runs an international company. Having survived cancer. Due to his treatment, its left him vulnerable. As he doesn't live in the uk. He's really disappointed with the folk who say ignore covid and get on with life. He's thinking of closing the uk arm, if people are allowed to do what they want. He'll cease ops in the uk and his staff can go sign on. He doesn't want to take a risk of catching it.

Reply privately

By *ess37Woman
over a year ago

Nantwich

"The volume of misinformation on this thread and site is staggering, for the love of god learn how to fact check. I will give you a clue, facts will rarely appear on FB and Twitter! This is due to them being drowned out by the same crap I am reading on here.

Also available for children’s parties "

Talking about facts - that influencer was from Ukraine not Poland and what is barbaric is that we are letting people die in their homes this very minute because they don’t have access to their life saving treatments - Who are we to play GOD and choose who is going to live or who is going to die??? - we need to look after vulnerable but let the people who have cancer die in their homes?! .... most vulnerable people I’ve spoken to in recent months had just as much enough of lockdowns as anyone else - when I go to the gym at 8 am in the morning it’s packed with vulnerable people so some of you please stop throwing 40% of vulnerable people in the same sack as yourself because a loooot of them are very much happy to take their chances to live something called normal life .... MONEY will solve a lot of issues - NHS was in bad state before covid even happened and it’s in tragic state right now and maybe instead of pumping money into furlough schemes, we should pump the money into NHS and proper care (also of those most vulnerable) - in Germany interesting schemes are working why should they not work in the U.K.? We all are just as IMPORTANT - the vulnerable, the ill and the ‘I want normal life’ - all of us make sacrifices right now!

Reply privately