Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

21,000 job loses

Jump to newest

By *orkiecpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

York

Thats right 21,000 job loses just announced this morning thats 63,000 lives affected ( partner and one child of ever person who has lost a job) also another say 10,000 job loses within the supply chain. Of peacocks group The retail sector is being totally destroyed along with hospitality and the travel industry, the number of deaths as of this morning is just below 50,000. The economy can no longer take the lockdowns and restrictions if this continues there will be a depression that lasts a decade, last time that happened it triggered world war two and allowed hitler to come to power.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Thats right 21,000 job loses just announced this morning thats 63,000 lives affected ( partner and one child of ever person who has lost a job) also another say 10,000 job loses within the supply chain. Of peacocks group The retail sector is being totally destroyed along with hospitality and the travel industry, the number of deaths as of this morning is just below 50,000. The economy can no longer take the lockdowns and restrictions if this continues there will be a depression that lasts a decade, last time that happened it triggered world war two and allowed hitler to come to power. "

What is your point?

over a year ago

I can’t see anywhere these job losses have been announced ? Only the story from yesterday that they were in trouble

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"Thats right 21,000 job loses just announced this morning thats 63,000 lives affected ( partner and one child of ever person who has lost a job) also another say 10,000 job loses within the supply chain. Of peacocks group The retail sector is being totally destroyed along with hospitality and the travel industry, the number of deaths as of this morning is just below 50,000. The economy can no longer take the lockdowns and restrictions if this continues there will be a depression that lasts a decade, last time that happened it triggered world war two and allowed hitler to come to power. "

Blame the internet, nothing to do with Covid

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be honest, the (off line) retail sector has been struggling for many years now. People would rather buy online than go to a shop. The current situation has just been another big nail in the coffin.

Hitler's rise yo power was nothing to do with shops closing, yes he used Germany's economic depression as a tool to rile people against the incumbent government, but the reason for Hitler's rise to power was extreme racial prejudice.

Cal

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS
over a year ago

Whitstable

Godwins Law broken in the first post

You do know that Hitler is dead .... or is he?

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

Worrying times ,the Depression is being held back at the moment with Borrowed money 2 trillion of it and rising, but Depression is definitely coming it’s just when

By *orkiecpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

York

Point is how many people have to lose they jobs and livelyhoods before we realise that the restrictions are causing more damage than the virus, a realistic estimate of unemployed if this continues till spring/summer 2021 is between 8 MILLION and 10 MILLION, and without a strong economy we can't pay for the nhs or the welfare so many people need and require, if these restrictions continue the state will go bankrupt then think workhouses and dickenson Victorian style society, where the poor die in millions due to poverty

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

"Point is how many people have to lose they jobs and livelyhoods before we realise that the restrictions are causing more damage than the virus, a realistic estimate of unemployed if this continues till spring/summer 2021 is between 8 MILLION and 10 MILLION, and without a strong economy we can't pay for the nhs or the welfare so many people need and require, if these restrictions continue the state will go bankrupt then think workhouses and dickenson Victorian style society, where the poor die in millions due to poverty "
You make a very good point; poverty is on the way and with it high crime. NHS scaled down, printing money so end up with a worthless currency.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Sussex

"Thats right 21,000 job loses just announced this morning thats 63,000 lives affected ( partner and one child of ever person who has lost a job) also another say 10,000 job loses within the supply chain. Of peacocks group The retail sector is being totally destroyed along with hospitality and the travel industry, the number of deaths as of this morning is just below 50,000. The economy can no longer take the lockdowns and restrictions if this continues there will be a depression that lasts a decade, last time that happened it triggered world war two and allowed hitler to come to power.

What is your point? "

I still reckon Hitler died in that bunker (Even if he didn't he was born in 1889 making him over 130 ) so I really do not see how he could possibly come back to power ?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"To be honest, the (off line) retail sector has been struggling for many years now. People would rather buy online than go to a shop. The current situation has just been another big nail in the coffin.

Hitler's rise yo power was nothing to do with shops closing, yes he used Germany's economic depression as a tool to rile people against the incumbent government, but the reason for Hitler's rise to power was extreme racial prejudice.

Cal"

Hitler didn't come to power on the basis of racial prejudice.

He appealed to nationalistic sentiment which,of course,wouldnt happen here.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Point is how many people have to lose they jobs and livelyhoods before we realise that the restrictions are causing more damage than the virus, a realistic estimate of unemployed if this continues till spring/summer 2021 is between 8 MILLION and 10 MILLION, and without a strong economy we can't pay for the nhs or the welfare so many people need and require, if these restrictions continue the state will go bankrupt then think workhouses and dickenson Victorian style society, where the poor die in millions due to poverty "

It is a very difficult balancing act between doing the right thing from a health angle and keeping the country running. Many people are obviously arguing now that the virus isn't killing enough people to warrant the restrictions, but fail to recognise that less people are dying BECAUSE of the restrictions.

Also, on top of the fairly quick illness connected to infection, there is also the more long-term effects that are starting to emerge. Some people who had previously been infected, are suffering from Respiratory, Cardio-vascular and Renal issues, as well as a high risk of random blood-clots. There is most certainly an associated long tern health-care payload waiting to explode.

Cal

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"To be honest, the (off line) retail sector has been struggling for many years now. People would rather buy online than go to a shop. The current situation has just been another big nail in the coffin.

Cal

He appealed to nationalistic sentiment which,of course,wouldnt happen here. "

Farage it is then

over a year ago

My question is are you prepared to swap your job to save lives in the short term or

Could the tax revenue from your job save more lives in the future ?

I know if I lose my job then my ability to help raise taxes become zero till the day I die.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

-----

He appealed to nationalistic sentiment which,of course,wouldnt happen here. "

I was going to mention the Xenophobia too but I couldn't remember the word . One of his big obsessions was the "Aryan Race" concept, which was the reason for the need to remove "Racial Pollutants" from Germany (and ultimately the world). And you are right, to suggest that there is a lot of Xenophobic rhetoric circulating in the UK at the moment, it is scary.

Cal

over a year ago

Where's the proof that there are 21000 job losses. ??

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Hang on! 21,000 jobs equates to 63,000 by your figures, by simply adding in a partner and a child?

What about Single people who work in a job who face losing that job? There are many people in every business sector who are SINGLE!!

Time to re-think that daft equation??

over a year ago

"I can’t see anywhere these job losses have been announced ? Only the story from yesterday that they were in trouble "

Hmm yes We all need clothes. But it’s both shocking and sad to hear the figures being mentioned.

over a year ago

"Thats right 21,000 job loses just announced this morning thats 63,000 lives affected ( partner and one child of ever person who has lost a job) also another say 10,000 job loses within the supply chain. Of peacocks group The retail sector is being totally destroyed along with hospitality and the travel industry, the number of deaths as of this morning is just below 50,000. The economy can no longer take the lockdowns and restrictions if this continues there will be a depression that lasts a decade, last time that happened it triggered world war two and allowed hitler to come to power.

Blame the internet, nothing to do with Covid"

Well it may be a savour in the long run as working from home will become the norm and on line purchasing both a safe option if this virus is never to go away We need a vaccine if we’re to continue the sort of life living we all want and need

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"My question is are you prepared to swap your job to save lives in the short term or

I know if I lose my job then my ability to help raise taxes become zero till the day I die.

"

Prior to any treatment being provided, the cost per person for a stay in hospital is around £400 per night. So the number of people who need to be in hospital has a much larger effect on the country's finances than you might expect.

One person working full time on £10 per hour is paying around £50 per week in Tax & NI, so you would need the contributions from 56 people to cover the cost of 24hrs in hospital for one person... and that is before any treatments are given. As I said before, it is a very complicated balancing act.

Cal

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Peacocks etc is gone and that's sad for those involved but it was an inevitably, ditto all the other recent high street names..

Tbh wasn't aware they still traded and can't recall the last time I went in one..

All those adding this as yet another reason to lift lockdown so they can get back to casual sex, when did you last shop there?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Sources are worthwhile. This seems to be another of the many posts wanting to do nothing, whilst the virus ravages through society, though doesn't detail a solution.

The partial lockdown in spring saved many lives and many thousands more from having to live with long term or permanent disabilities, including organ damage and failure of heart, kidneys, the brain and the associated catastrophes they bring, not to mention the costs. Cognitive damage is occurring and these people will need services to help them, which cost too. It's likely that for some life will be not worth living and they may commit suicide too.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"My question is are you prepared to swap your job to save lives in the short term or

Prior to any treatment being provided, the cost per person for a stay in hospital is around £400 per night. So the number of people who need to be in hospital has a much larger effect on the country's finances than you might expect.

One person working full time on £10 per hour is paying around £50 per week in Tax & NI, so you would need the contributions from 56 people to cover the cost of 24hrs in hospital for one person... and that is before any treatments are given. As I said before, it is a very complicated balancing act.

Cal"

Maybe the tax revenues from the 1100 Deloitte consultants doing track and trace on £2340 each per day will help..

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

What I fail to understand is this, the people that don’t believe in the restrictions and do their best to not follow them - (no mask, meeting for casual sex, meeting and not socially distancing with friends etc) and are stating the results of lock down are far worse than the virus are actually lengthening the need for restrictions and making the damage worse. Self fulfilling prophecy or just not thought it through I wonder.

over a year ago

Cal"

dont be going around pointing flaws in the rhetoric with logical facts Cal ... gets us nowhere to look at a bigger picture sensibly and recognise how difficult getting this balance is

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

-------

dont be going around pointing flaws in the rhetoric with logical facts Cal ... gets us nowhere to look at a bigger picture sensibly and recognise how difficult getting this balance is "

Sorry, I shall hang my head in shame

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

-------

Maybe the tax revenues from the 1100 Deloitte consultants doing track and trace on £2340 each per day will help.."

Yes, their daily tax revenue is roughly equivalent to the daily amount required to treat one person for one day. Obviously the solution is to increase everyone's wages to this level, then we will be paying enough tax to fund the NHS properly

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Cal

-----

He appealed to nationalistic sentiment which,of course,wouldnt happen here.

I was going to mention the Xenophobia too but I couldn't remember the word . One of his big obsessions was the "Aryan Race" concept, which was the reason for the need to remove "Racial Pollutants" from Germany (and ultimately the world). And you are right, to suggest that there is a lot of Xenophobic rhetoric circulating in the UK at the moment, it is scary.

Cal"

He also targeted communists (reds)aswell

It's tried and trusted.Blame all of your problems on 1 group.Get the media onside and people will swallow it hook line and sinker.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

You do know that Hitler is dead .... or is he? "

If he’s still alive he’s too old to start more wars

over a year ago

in Lancashire

Cal

-------

Maybe the tax revenues from the 1100 Deloitte consultants doing track and trace on £2340 each per day will help..

Yes, their daily tax revenue is roughly equivalent to the daily amount required to treat one person for one day. Obviously the solution is to increase everyone's wages to this level, then we will be paying enough tax to fund the NHS properly "

Like it, a cunning plan..

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

21000 job losses doesn't equate to 63000 lives affected though.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

There was a piece on the bbc website the other day which said something like the top 5% have seen their wealth considerably increase since the pandemic began

So its good news that not everyone is suffering.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"There was a piece on the bbc website the other day which said something like the top 5% have seen their wealth considerably increase since the pandemic began

So its good news that not everyone is suffering."

The offshore bank managers will be happy..

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

He's been reincarnated as... Donald Trump!

over a year ago

"There was a piece on the bbc website the other day which said something like the top 5% have seen their wealth considerably increase since the pandemic began

So its good news that not everyone is suffering."

Yes I read that. The french revolution came about as a result of similar. If they carry on like they are the pitchforks and scythes will be out again. They wont be able to cower in their mediterranean Yachts forever.

However again you deflect from the real question that affects real life for the majority. Your comment suggests that I can do something about rich Billionaires when really all I can do is hope to do my job tomorrow and earn some money to live and pay some tax.

Your rhetoric is persuasive but ultimately quite futile as there is nothing you or I can do about rich Billionaires, hard as that may seem.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Yes I read that. The french revolution came about as a result of similar. If they carry on like they are the pitchforks and scythes will be out again. They wont be able to cower in their mediterranean Yachts forever.

However again you deflect from the real question that affects real life for the majority. Your comment suggests that I can do something about rich Billionaires when really all I can do is hope to do my job tomorrow and earn some money to live and pay some tax.

Your rhetoric is persuasive but ultimately quite futile as there is nothing you or I can do about rich Billionaires, hard as that may seem."

The french have a bolshy streak that we dont posses.

Its probably not even billionaires..ld hazard a guess some people have done very well out of this.

over a year ago

It's sad that job losses will happen. We can't blame covid for every job loss though. Online ordering must have a big impact. Amazon prime is one of the easiest ways to buy now. Most orders come on the same day! It's easier than going to town and walking round. Xmas is coming and most people I bet will be ordering online. It's cheaper most of the tum and you can get all done in an hour online what would take hours walking around. Not saying its right but it's convenient. And most places have free return post. I know people who order £500 worth of clothes with the intention of only keeping a couple of items and send the rest back before it hits the credit card. I personally think the high Street and shops are inevitably going to be run down because of this online convenience.

over a year ago

"It's sad that job losses will happen. We can't blame covid for every job loss though. Online ordering must have a big impact. Amazon prime is one of the easiest ways to buy now. Most orders come on the same day! It's easier than going to town and walking round. Xmas is coming and most people I bet will be ordering online. It's cheaper most of the tum and you can get all done in an hour online what would take hours walking around. Not saying its right but it's convenient. And most places have free return post. I know people who order £500 worth of clothes with the intention of only keeping a couple of items and send the rest back before it hits the credit card. I personally think the high Street and shops are inevitably going to be run down because of this online convenience. "

I have to say sorry to Peacocks. I have never bought anything there even though our local town has a Peacocks. I Don't really like the stuff they sell. Sadly since masks became compulsory I have not visited the high street and will probably continue to largely Boycott it apart from odd visit to do weekly shop in supermarket. By the sounds of it alot of people are voting with their feet and fingers too.

over a year ago

Your rhetoric is persuasive but ultimately quite futile as there is nothing you or I can do about rich Billionaires, hard as that may seem.

The french have a bolshy streak that we dont posses.

Its probably not even billionaires..ld hazard a guess some people have done very well out of this."

Did you also note that our poor old British Billionaires are doing relatively poorly and that chinese and Russian ones have done much better. So perhaps we should feel sorry for our billionaires LOL.

Come on Boris We need our Billionaires to get the same level of support . said very tongue in cheek by the way.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

You do know that Hitler is dead .... or is he?

If he’s still alive he’s too old to start more wars "

But he would be allowed to die, following the plans of a minority who just want everything to be lived like it used to be, as long as the rest don't mind suffering

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Using the same logic as the Covid restrictions deny-ers

63000 jobs lost is only 0.0003% of the population

over a year ago

Hang on! 21,000 jobs equates to 63,000 by your figures, by simply adding in a partner and a child?

What about Single people who work in a job who face losing that job? There are many people in every business sector who are SINGLE!!

Time to re-think that daft equation??"

i believe it was a very loose average as many famalies have more than one child

over a year ago

i have always thought that lockdown was a daft move, how many lifes it has saved we will never know, but we can work out the cost to the econamy, im sure alot of those that have gone were in trouble already, due to onling shopping, out of town stores etc, but for me the biggest problem is thaat historicly, when made redundent in one sector, people could often find work in other sectors, maybe with some retraining, but this isnt happening atm.

so whos going to pay off the huge debt we are in now? we need people paying tax.

in the 70s there was a recesion and the gov put taxes up hugly, most prople earned up to the tax limit and then didnt bother, who wants to pay nearly 80% tax, well it seemed nobody did.

it is a hard one to put an answer to, but stopping people paying tax is never going to be the answer, what would be a good start would be less gov waste, scrap hs2 for a start, and many other things, if the gove .uk was a private company it would have gone bust years ago. Ive never understood why our policymakers on things like finance arent experts in the field. get some top business people in to run the finances of the country, rather than a self serving gov and useless civil servants., then maybe we would stand a chance.

over a year ago

"

If I lose my job then I lose my house .

So no.

over a year ago

If I lose my job then I lose my house .

So no."

A truthful answer. To be honest if I was made redundant I think we could survive, albeit at a very low level of comfort but I have a few more years of contributing yet and hope to retire with my dignity and finances intact. Some would say hey that's selfish. I'd say no it's not it's pragmatic as I have always sought to contribute to the country and it's institutions.

over a year ago

Peacocks is one of those companies that have been struggling for years, many companies are using Covid as an excuse to carry on with company's that are failing anyway

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"i have always thought that lockdown was a daft move, how many lifes it has saved we will never know, but we can work out the cost to the econamy, im sure alot of those that have gone were in trouble already, due to onling shopping, out of town stores etc, but for me the biggest problem is thaat historicly, when made redundent in one sector, people could often find work in other sectors, maybe with some retraining, but this isnt happening atm.

so whos going to pay off the huge debt we are in now? we need people paying tax.

in the 70s there was a recesion and the gov put taxes up hugly, most prople earned up to the tax limit and then didnt bother, who wants to pay nearly 80% tax, well it seemed nobody did.

it is a hard one to put an answer to, but stopping people paying tax is never going to be the answer, what would be a good start would be less gov waste, scrap hs2 for a start, and many other things, if the gove .uk was a private company it would have gone bust years ago. Ive never understood why our policymakers on things like finance arent experts in the field. get some top business people in to run the finances of the country, rather than a self serving gov and useless civil servants., then maybe we would stand a chance."

Maybe the EU ?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"i have always thought that lockdown was a daft move, how many lifes it has saved we will never know, but we can work out the cost to the econamy, im sure alot of those that have gone were in trouble already, due to onling shopping, out of town stores etc, but for me the biggest problem is thaat historicly, when made redundent in one sector, people could often find work in other sectors, maybe with some retraining, but this isnt happening atm.

it is a hard one to put an answer to, but stopping people paying tax is never going to be the answer, what would be a good start would be less gov waste, scrap hs2 for a start, and many other things, if the gove .uk was a private company it would have gone bust years ago. Ive never understood why our policymakers on things like finance arent experts in the field. get some top business people in to run the finances of the country, rather than a self serving gov and useless civil servants., then maybe we would stand a chance.

Maybe the EU ?"

By *ynetaurusMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

Not much about this in the press...MPs get a pay rise of £3.3k pa and thats on top of the £81k they already get,It really boils ya piss selfish the bastards ,As a footnote £3.3k would be the amount that someone on the dole would get in a year!

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"Not much about this in the press...MPs get a pay rise of £3.3k pa and thats on top of the £81k they already get,It really boils ya piss selfish the bastards ,As a footnote £3.3k would be the amount that someone on the dole would get in a year! "

They haven't got it yet. Its out for consultation first.

To be fair, many MPs from all partys have come out and said that its a bad idea.

over a year ago

peacocks has been in trouble for years.

it only survived a while back because it had to speak to landlords and get investment.

and that was before covid.

stores like primark do it better and thats where people go

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

it is a hard one to put an answer to, but stopping people paying tax is never going to be the answer, what would be a good start would be less gov waste, scrap hs2 for a start, and many other things, if the gove .uk was a private company it would have gone bust years ago. Ive never understood why our policymakers on things like finance arent experts in the field. get some top business people in to run the finances of the country, rather than a self serving gov and useless civil servants., then maybe we would stand a chance."

There's no money to be saved by scrapping big projects like HS2, a big part of the cost is paid up front and there are huge cancellation clauses. If they didn't work that way, nobody would be willing to do the jobs as a cancellation would bankrupt even the biggest companies... and lots of their suppliers.

Cal

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

There's no money to be saved by scrapping big projects like HS2, a big part of the cost is paid up front and there are huge cancellation clauses. If they didn't work that way, nobody would be willing to do the jobs as a cancellation would bankrupt even the biggest companies... and lots of their suppliers.

Cal"

I was reading somewhere that in france they have developed a train that doesnt need tracks.

So essentially hs2 is out of date before it's even been built.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Cal

I was reading somewhere that in france they have developed a train that doesnt need tracks.

So essentially hs2 is out of date before it's even been built."

Magnetic railways are the way forward.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

You for got to mention the Entrainment Industry, job losses

but is it not better than quarter of the population getting it all at once and lots ending up dead. If to meany end up with it then there wont be a NHS any way

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

So essentially hs2 is out of date before it's even been built."

Le Bus?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

You say this like you know so when did we the uk finish paying for world war 2.

also if we are i debt by 2 trillion to day it will be a smaller amount in 10 years just with inflation so it is worth getting in to debt so long as we all pull together.

If we did not lock down i think the country would be in a worse position as i have never seen a dead person pay Income TAX and if a large number of NHS school etc staff get it it would meaning closing fertility anyway.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Cal

So essentially hs2 is out of date before it's even been built.

Le Bus?"

Not sure.. was reading about it a little while ago

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"

Shops staff have been saying for years that you can get something online, I usually reply jokingly that they are talking themselves out of a job. Looks like it has actually happened.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Be million by the new year have you heard we going to have the biggest recession in history thanks to covid

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Yup!is very frieghtening! X

By *heCrowAndButterflyCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

I reckon he is you know born 1889 so would be 131 this year

By *ookMan
over a year ago

london

I’m going to buy up all the dingies in Dover as I think lots of people may want to travel to France when they realise the way this country is heading...second great idea is to become another’ retail’ expert adviser consultant and appear on tv telling everyone about the death of the high street and how it needs to adapt to the needs of people to enjoy leisure and activities to support retail....

Post new Message to Thread