Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

is the covid app a waste of time?

Jump to newest

By *iguy for fun OP   Man
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

I've only been in to two pubs where I have used it and half the punters check in with app and half with paper. So many of them have no idea they are infected/close and unless everyone had Bluetooth activated at all times in the pubs they don't know either. As a general rule of thumb I only have Bluetooth on for track and trace or synching my fitbit.

Will the staff have had their Bluetooth on all the time? And will their phone have been in their pocket or handbag/rucksack in a locker?

If so presumably those pubs will now be shut whilst all the staff self isolate. If not then what's the point?

I've received an alarm today telling me I was close and so need to self isolate so I'm not a technology denier btw.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uck427Man
over a year ago

wales

Well the police have been told not to download it and also can be used against you if you go out of you're county area if they was in lockdown

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Well the police have been told not to download it and also can be used against you if you go out of you're county area if they was in lockdown "

You think they have the resources to be tracking every individual once an area goes into lockdown as some counties in Wales have?

They can't even track and trace to any effective level..

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Just been out for a lovely lunch. People wandering in and out without bothering or even just touching their phone against the QR code without bothering to unlock their phone it seems.

Could be a “world beating system” but it’s still only good if people use it.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I've only been in to two pubs where I have used it and half the punters check in with app and half with paper. So many of them have no idea they are infected/close and unless everyone had Bluetooth activated at all times in the pubs they don't know either. As a general rule of thumb I only have Bluetooth on for track and trace or synching my fitbit.

Will the staff have had their Bluetooth on all the time? And will their phone have been in their pocket or handbag/rucksack in a locker?

If so presumably those pubs will now be shut whilst all the staff self isolate. If not then what's the point?

I've received an alarm today telling me I was close and so need to self isolate so I'm not a technology denier btw.

"

Does it tell you the actual location where you were close to an infected person?

over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

"I've only been in to two pubs where I have used it and half the punters check in with app and half with paper. So many of them have no idea they are infected/close and unless everyone had Bluetooth activated at all times in the pubs they don't know either. As a general rule of thumb I only have Bluetooth on for track and trace or synching my fitbit.

Does it tell you the actual location where you were close to an infected person?"

nope it just tells you you were close to an infected person but doesn't tell you the date you were close or where. So I could have met some friends last Saturday we were close to someone then, but that person with covid only found out Wed/Thurs they were diagnosed positive, they then upload their result and only then is a message sent. So I get message on Fri, five days after potential contamination telling me to self isolate for 14 days from Fri, so potentially I exit isolation 19 days after "contact".

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Does it tell you the actual location where you were close to an infected person?

nope it just tells you you were close to an infected person but doesn't tell you the date you were close or where. So I could have met some friends last Saturday we were close to someone then, but that person with covid only found out Wed/Thurs they were diagnosed positive, they then upload their result and only then is a message sent. So I get message on Fri, five days after potential contamination telling me to self isolate for 14 days from Fri, so potentially I exit isolation 19 days after "contact". "

If you’ve got the app, why not use it?

No it won’t magically know if you have it, but if you’re going to pubs regularly and it’s warning you about close contact, maybe be responsible and isolate.

Otherwise delete the app.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"is the covid app a waste of time?"

Only if you choose to ignore any 'Notification' it gives you.

But you are right at some level, people can choose to ignore it. It's as only as good as 'people'.

over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

"is the covid app a waste of time?

But you are right at some level, people can choose to ignore it. It's as only as good as 'people'."

absolutely only as good as people and reading other comments on other connected strands, people do seem to be ignoring the alerts due to the lack of information/specifics. I'm bunkering down now for a further 9 days of isolation (I was already off work for three days isolation at home due to flu before I got the message).

Problem is that it will be true isolation as I live alone

By *reampie_vickyTV/TS
over a year ago

Wigan

"

It is nothing more than spyware, not a chance I would ever put this so called app anywhere near any fone that I own.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"is the covid app a waste of time?

But you are right at some level, people can choose to ignore it. It's as only as good as 'people'.

absolutely only as good as people and reading other comments on other connected strands, people do seem to be ignoring the alerts due to the lack of information/specifics. I'm bunkering down now for a further 9 days of isolation (I was already off work for three days isolation at home due to flu before I got the message).

Problem is that it will be true isolation as I live alone"

It's very hard for people on their own.

Post new Message to Thread