Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Is it time to stop selling alcohol

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Clearly the 10pm rules are not working as everyone is going to the off licence then back to a mates to continue drinking in confined areas.

Now Scotland are expected to shut pubs as a "circuit breaker" during they're early school holidays and England will likely do the same.

But is that going to be enough or do you think we need to trial a blanket ban to see it that will bring the infection rate down?

Btw they did this in Thailand...and it work there.

Your thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

The 10pm curfew was more of a success in the rest of Europe, as people went to the pub, understood the restriction and just went straight home afterwards

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Clearly the 10pm rules are not working as everyone is going to the off licence then back to a mates to continue drinking in confined areas.

Now Scotland are expected to shut pubs as a "circuit breaker" during they're early school holidays and England will likely do the same.

But is that going to be enough or do you think we need to trial a blanket ban to see it that will bring the infection rate down?

Your thoughts?"

In terms of reducing the infection rate, it would almost certainly help. However I feel for landlords and their staff as I don't think many pubs that aren't part of a big chain would survive this. People will also have stock piles in their homes if they sense this is coming, so i can imagine there would be an upswing in illegal parties.

over a year ago

"The 10pm curfew was more of a success in the rest of Europe, as people went to the pub, understood the restriction and just went straight home afterwards "

Maybe but it's doing the opposite here by the looks of things...think it's time to do something differently myself.

By *ersnickety PantsWoman
over a year ago

Club Meets Only

Folk will just stock up for at home, hopefully that will stop them hoarding the loo rolls & flour!

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

You cant compare Thailand to the UK...

over a year ago

"The 10pm curfew was more of a success in the rest of Europe, as people went to the pub, understood the restriction and just went straight home afterwards

Maybe but it's doing the opposite here by the looks of things...think it's time to do something differently myself."

Yes the obvious answer is to open bars and restaurants longer and reduce capacity at any one time.

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The 10pm curfew was more of a success in the rest of Europe, as people went to the pub, understood the restriction and just went straight home afterwards "

Yes, but we're different to them as we're British. Innit.

:-/

over a year ago

Plus where is your evidence that EVERYBODY is leaving bars and restaurants at 10pm and going to an off license/supermarket?.

I must clearly mix in the wrong circles as I've never seen any of this but I have noticed some establishments far busier during Friday Saturday busy periods 4-8pm

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'd be a bit fed up if I couldn't buy a bottle of wine to use in cooking because some people can't do without a drink after 10pm.

over a year ago

"I'd be a bit fed up if I couldn't buy a bottle of wine to use in cooking because some people can't do without a drink after 10pm. "

Cooking! As Olivier Reed used to say,What a waste of wine

By *eter pepper 77Man
over a year ago

kelsall

Can’t beat carrying on the sesh at a mates house , especially if you’ve stood shoulder to shoulder at the kebab shop first ,

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

At the moment, we can't go to shows, festivals gigs, the cinema etc etc.

I'm not a big drinker but don't mind the occasional glass of wine. Are you really suggesting we ban that as well?

Imagine christmas without alcohol??

By *oAnCouple
over a year ago

Balham

"Clearly the 10pm rules are not working as everyone is going to the off licence then back to a mates to continue drinking in confined areas.

Your thoughts?"

They did it in SOuth Africa and the social consequences are worse than the virus with GDP so far down 54%. Cannot blame alcohol, what about other drugs? so you want to destroy a legitimate tax-paying revenue (doesn't matter about your beliefs) to save a minority that will die, time to get our priorities right as we have already killed out economy, it really doesn't need anymore help to die!

By *ink Panther.Woman
over a year ago

Preston

What needs to happen is ppl to stop comparing apples and oranges. We aren’t Thailand, Norway, France, Italy or any other country. A complete ban on alcohol is just ridiculous and as someone has said above it would just prompt ppl to stock up. There is no one thing responsible for the spike it’s a combination. While there are folk not following the rules the spike will continue. I will continue to follow the rules and just hope my family and I don’t become infected because of the stupidity of others.

PS I don’t drink

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Imagine christmas without alcohol?? "

NO. I WILL NOT.

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

They did it in SOuth Africa and the social consequences are worse than the virus with GDP so far down 54%. Cannot blame alcohol, what about other drugs? so you want to destroy a legitimate tax-paying revenue (doesn't matter about your beliefs) to save a minority that will die, time to get our priorities right as we have already killed out economy, it really doesn't need anymore help to die!"

Screw the economy...lives are more important!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I'd be a bit fed up if I couldn't buy a bottle of wine to use in cooking because some people can't do without a drink after 10pm. .

Cooking! As Olivier Reed used to say,What a waste of wine "

. I only drink vodka

over a year ago

"I'd be a bit fed up if I couldn't buy a bottle of wine to use in cooking because some people can't do without a drink after 10pm. .

Cooking! As Olivier Reed used to say,What a waste of wine

. I only drink vodka "

As uncle Joe used to say, drink up it's only brown because you can't afford the good stuff

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

They did it in SOuth Africa and the social consequences are worse than the virus with GDP so far down 54%. Cannot blame alcohol, what about other drugs? so you want to destroy a legitimate tax-paying revenue (doesn't matter about your beliefs) to save a minority that will die, time to get our priorities right as we have already killed out economy, it really doesn't need anymore help to die!

Screw the economy...lives are more important! "

I'd like to see you say that when we're all living in a cardboard box drinking puddle water and riddled with parasites

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Your thoughts?

I'd like to see you say that when we're all living in a cardboard box drinking puddle water and riddled with parasites "

Cardboard box?

You were lucky..

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

I'd like to see you say that when we're all living in a cardboard box drinking puddle water and riddled with parasites

Cardboard box?

You were lucky.."

After a 20 hour shift down pit mind

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Your thoughts?

Cardboard box?

You were lucky..

After a 20 hour shift down pit mind "

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

Your thoughts?

If you screw the economy we will end up living in caves again.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Of course, because Prohibition in America was such a roaring success......

A better idea would be the govt to accept that the 10pm curfew is a bad idea all round

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm all for following evidence based approaches only

We'd be in a better place if we had a trustworthy leadership group, for starters. I think the 10pm closures, aren't based on evidence m, which is why none has been produced. I'm an incredibly light drinker, so have limited exposure to the culture and people who drink after 10pm but see it as an arbitrary time that was picked. I'd reopen them, gaining greater support from the sectors for self-regulation, whilst researching any effects that this had. It could help to suppress illegal raves which have no control and would limit the drive for people to leave at 10 and take themselves elsewhere, already somewhat under the influence.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

If you screw the economy we will end up living in caves again."

2-4 million people die every year from burning wood to cook with because they live in abject poverty, in the last 30 years the world economy moved 1.2 BILLION people out of abject poverty into relative poverty and a further 1.6 billion from relative poverty into well working class poor but crucially with health care, food, transport, running water, electricity.

But yea screw the economy, what's it ever done for us

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Your thoughts?"

The 10pm cerfew is stupid as history tells you that when pubs closed at 10.30 years ago people got very pissed early,When Blair changed all the licencing laws he changed the whole culture of the country proved to be a good thing.

At the time I did a local study and it was presented on local radio,I was doing it for a union,however I have changed and now would do nothing for any union.

Going back to the point if we are to have this then alcohol sales should be banned after 7.00 in the evening maybe.

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

Your thoughts?

Lol.... it won’t end up that way.

We’ve had economic recessions in the past, and we’ve always recovered. The economy will bounce back, and probably sooner that we expect.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"I'm all for following evidence based approaches only

We'd be in a better place if we had a trustworthy leadership group, for starters. I think the 10pm closures, aren't based on evidence m, which is why none has been produced. I'm an incredibly light drinker, so have limited exposure to the culture and people who drink after 10pm but see it as an arbitrary time that was picked. I'd reopen them, gaining greater support from the sectors for self-regulation, whilst researching any effects that this had. It could help to suppress illegal raves which have no control and would limit the drive for people to leave at 10 and take themselves elsewhere, already somewhat under the influence. "

Stop blaming the leaders it is the stupid ignorant selfish people that are a far bigger problem

It is easy to blame others take responsibilty

By *ap d agde coupleCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

Your thoughts?

No economy no Health service

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

We’ve had economic recessions in the past, and we’ve always recovered. The economy will bounce back, and probably sooner that we expect. "

Oh yea, that 1928 depression soon bounced back oh wait no it took ww2 to end it

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

"Is it time to stop selling alcohol."

No.

What next Cars. Knives. Bananas because discarded skins are slippy. Airplanes because they fall out of the sky. Boats can sink. ad-infinitum.

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

I'd like to see you say that when we're all living in a cardboard box drinking puddle water and riddled with parasites "

You may end up living in a cardboard box , i certainly wont !

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

"I'm all for following evidence based approaches only

We'd be in a better place if we had a trustworthy leadership group, for starters. I think the 10pm closures, aren't based on evidence m, which is why none has been produced. I'm an incredibly light drinker, so have limited exposure to the culture and people who drink after 10pm but see it as an arbitrary time that was picked. I'd reopen them, gaining greater support from the sectors for self-regulation, whilst researching any effects that this had. It could help to suppress illegal raves which have no control and would limit the drive for people to leave at 10 and take themselves elsewhere, already somewhat under the influence. "

“.... I think the 10pm closures, aren't based on evidence m, which is why none has been produced....”

————————

I don’t think the government claimed to have had any evidence ( scientific or otherwise) on the 10pm closure. So there is no evidence to produce if no claim was made.

Looks more like they are trying to adopt a strategy which has worked successfully in some other countries. Reason it’s not so successful here is because we are not identical to the other countries where this strategy has worked.

over a year ago

The virus isn't stupid, it starts with the low hanging fruit and works it's way up!

We're starting at bars and restaurants which according to the ons is responsible for 3-5% of infections and trying to grab a share of it.

Schools and universities meanwhile are responsible for 45-51% of infections and nobody's thinking how could we half that and save 25% of infections

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Pubs in the central belt of Scotland are now shut completely.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

You may end up living in a cardboard box , i certainly wont !"

No you won't because history shows that one of the first things you lose is law and order and somebody will probably burn your house down and Rob you long before the cardboard house prediction kicks in.

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

Your thoughts?

We’ve had economic recessions in the past, and we’ve always recovered. The economy will bounce back, and probably sooner that we expect. .

Oh yea, that 1928 depression soon bounced back oh wait no it took ww2 to end it "

There you go, the Great Depression didn’t last forever, nor will this one. We won’t get to the stage where we go back to caves again.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"Pubs in the central belt of Scotland are now shut completely. "

There will be more house parties than ever now.

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

You may end up living in a cardboard box , i certainly wont !.

No you won't because history shows that one of the first things you lose is law and order and somebody will probably burn your house down and Rob you long before the cardboard house prediction kicks in."

My god ...get a grip !

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

"The virus isn't stupid, it starts with the low hanging fruit and works it's way up!

We're starting at bars and restaurants which according to the ons is responsible for 3-5% of infections and trying to grab a share of it.

Schools and universities meanwhile are responsible for 45-51% of infections and nobody's thinking how could we half that and save 25% of infections "

Infections don't matter, particularly when they are young and healthy.

No doubt if we did 250,000 pcr tests for flu every day we would get a shed load of positives but it just doesn't matter.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

We’ve had economic recessions in the past, and we’ve always recovered. The economy will bounce back, and probably sooner that we expect. .

There you go, the Great Depression didn’t last forever, nor will this one. We won’t get to the stage where we go back to caves again. "

Oh goody, just 15 years of utter misery, slashed health care, falling poverty rates, lower life spans and 150 million deaths for a recovery then

Hurrah

over a year ago

"The virus isn't stupid, it starts with the low hanging fruit and works it's way up!

Schools and universities meanwhile are responsible for 45-51% of infections and nobody's thinking how could we half that and save 25% of infections

Infections don't matter, particularly when they are young and healthy.

No doubt if we did 250,000 pcr tests for flu every day we would get a shed load of positives but it just doesn't matter."

I'm not particularly arsed about them either, I was simply pointing out to the ones that are that there starting in the hardest places to find savings instead of the easiest ones

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

Your thoughts?

There you go, the Great Depression didn’t last forever, nor will this one. We won’t get to the stage where we go back to caves again. "

Once the markets believe the country won't be able to pay its debts, they won't lend us any more more money. Then watch the downward spiral.

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

Screw the economy...lives are more important! No economy no Health service"

That's been on the cards before covid .

over a year ago

Do you know how easy it is to make Beer and Wine ?

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

no

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

Your thoughts?

There you go, the Great Depression didn’t last forever, nor will this one. We won’t get to the stage where we go back to caves again.

Once the markets believe the country won't be able to pay its debts, they won't lend us any more more money. Then watch the downward spiral."

Won’t spiral down to ‘cave living’ though

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

BTW . . . They didn't ban alcohol sales they banned online sales so that 'underage drinkers' couldn't get it.

July 2, 2020

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand said on Thursday it would prohibit online sales of alcohol in a clampdown on 'underage drinking' after a rise in sales during the coronavirus outbreak.

By *essiejamesABCCouple
over a year ago

Salisbury

The govt will never ban alcohol for many reasons, obviously the tax revenue. Also it would create a black market economy which would line the pockets of drug Lords and other organised crime leaders. This in turn would fund other crimes such as people trafficking etc.

Also its not hard to produce the effects of alcohol from widely available everyday products such as mouthwash and brasso (filtered correctly it can give a good buzz). Just ask any ex-convict

over a year ago

"Do you know how easy it is to make Beer and Wine ? "

There really not thinking things through though, they've just got the pitchforks out and need a Virgin to throw into the volcano to appease the disease god

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

Once the markets believe the country won't be able to pay its debts, they won't lend us any more more money. Then watch the downward spiral.

Won’t spiral down to ‘cave living’ though "

Some on here like to catastrophicise.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I think by the time after half term starts they should open it all back up, nearly all of the late night party goers who refuse to sovial distance should have been infected by then and in essence can carry on putting money into pubs without infecting others, maybe this is the group they should be mass antibodies testing

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Your thoughts?"

Didn't they do it in South Africa too? For something like 14 weeks. Worked there too... Or rather, it was one of a number of measures which put together hped reduce infection in the community.

And yes... Excellent idea... Alcohol makes people do some really unhealthy stuff.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Do you know how easy it is to make Beer and Wine ? "

It's a lot easier to buy it though.

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

Your thoughts?

Won’t spiral down to ‘cave living’ though "

Google 'Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic'

When a country can't pay its debts it ends up printing money. Inflation sets in and the currency collapses. You then end up with a barter system because nobody will accept the worthless currency. Gold, useful items, food, sex etc. The country can't buy oil, gas, food etc because nobody will accept your currency. If you're the only country in trouble then the IMF tries to rescue the country. If all the countries are in trouble then there is no help to be had.

over a year ago

Broadstairs

"Do you know how easy it is to make Beer and Wine ?

It's a lot easier to buy it though. "

True but making it is so easy especially Beer ,wine takes about 2 months

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Some on here like to catastrophicise. "

Debts spiralling while income is going through the floor and the worse is still to come, all while the global economy was on a fragile recovery anyhow.

Meh but yea but no but yea

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"The 10pm curfew was more of a success in the rest of Europe, as people went to the pub, understood the restriction and just went straight home afterwards

Maybe but it's doing the opposite here by the looks of things...think it's time to do something differently myself..

Yes the obvious answer is to open bars and restaurants longer and reduce capacity at any one time."

Maybe you're onto something...compulsory 24 hour opening of all licensed premises to reduce the spread.

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Didn't they do it in South Africa too? For something like 14 weeks. Worked there too... Or rather, it was one of a number of measures which put together hped reduce infection in the community.

And yes... Excellent idea... Alcohol makes people do some really unhealthy stuff. "

For once me and you agree

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

Debts spiralling while income is going through the floor and the worse is still to come, all while the global economy was on a fragile recovery anyhow.

Meh but yea but no but yea "

That's as maybe, but i dont need someone who doesn't know me or my finances tell me i ll end up in a cardboard box!

By *ubbermaidbabyCouple
over a year ago

clwyd

Your thoughts?

This!!!

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

Your thoughts?

That's as maybe, but i dont need someone who doesn't know me or my finances tell me i ll end up in a cardboard box! "

I take your point but during the hyperinflation a loaf of bread in Berlin that cost around 160 Marks at the end of 1922 cost 200,000,000,000 Marks by late 1923. Even Jeff Bezos would struggle to afford bread in that situation.

over a year ago

Two years ago the financial and economic world was getting very worried about Brexit, the sixth largest economy in the world was going to have "trading problems"which could lead to 3-7% reduction in UK output and this was likely to tip the global economy into a recession.

Fast forward two years and apparently the entire Western world's economy going down 30% isn't a problem?.

Now I'm just a simpleton with a desk job in a piffling gov dept but even I know 2+2=4

over a year ago

In march when Thailand went into lockdown there was no alcohol sales whatsoever for around 10 weeks...and while we are not Thailand I think we need to get a handle on this now as infections are rising at a incredible rate. This will have its flaws as some have said...people will likely stockpile, and it may not be the answer.

But we need to look outside the box as this is going to be a long winter.

I'm off to eat a pear now

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

It's a lot easier to buy it though. True but making it is so easy especially Beer ,wine takes about 2 months "

OK... Ermm... Buying it takes 5 minutes.

We can't get people to stop getting pissed at 10pm so not convinced they'd have the patience to wait 2 months for some homebrew.... Still micro breweries might be a boom business

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

That's as maybe, but i dont need someone who doesn't know me or my finances tell me i ll end up in a cardboard box!

I take your point but during the hyperinflation a loaf of bread in Berlin that cost around 160 Marks at the end of 1922 cost 200,000,000,000 Marks by late 1923. Even Jeff Bezos would struggle to afford bread in that situation."

This is 2020.

over a year ago

"In march when Thailand went into lockdown there was no alcohol sales whatsoever for around 10 weeks...and while we are not Thailand I think we need to get a handle on this now as infections are rising at a incredible rate. This will have its flaws as some have said...people will likely stockpile, and it may not be the answer.

But we need to look outside the box as this is going to be a long winter.

I'm off to eat a pear now "

I hope it's not a prickly pear, 32 people a year die eating them

over a year ago

Broadstairs

It's a lot easier to buy it though. True but making it is so easy especially Beer ,wine takes about 2 months

OK... Ermm... Buying it takes 5 minutes.

We can't get people to stop getting pissed at 10pm so not convinced they'd have the patience to wait 2 months for some homebrew.... Still micro breweries might be a boom business"

was talking about if they banned alcohol it would be waste of time as people would make it

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

While we get excited about enforced abstinence, the prospect of creating thousands of redundancies and scapegoating the young and the pub goers, can we please take a moment to check the statistics from Public Health England which show that less than 5% of outbreaks are linked to pubs, bars and restaurants?

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

Your thoughts?

Google 'Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic'

When a country can't pay its debts it ends up printing money. Inflation sets in and the currency collapses. You then end up with a barter system because nobody will accept the worthless currency. Gold, useful items, food, sex etc. The country can't buy oil, gas, food etc because nobody will accept your currency. If you're the only country in trouble then the IMF tries to rescue the country. If all the countries are in trouble then there is no help to be had.

"

None of what you predict / describe above will get us to the point where we are back to living in caves again.

This crisis is not the first, the world has experienced economic recessions in the past. Things can go down, but they always bounce back up again. No economic graph follows a single direction indefinitely.

over a year ago

moonshine here we come be like the good old days i have seen in films .. without tom hardy though as one of the brothers

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

"While we get excited about enforced abstinence, the prospect of creating thousands of redundancies and scapegoating the young and the pub goers, can we please take a moment to check the statistics from Public Health England which show that less than 5% of outbreaks are linked to pubs, bars and restaurants?"

Alcohol turns some into idiots doesnt it , therefore unable to socially distance. Their alcohol intake and lack of following guidelines is the problem not the pubs, bars and restaurants.

over a year ago

Yea who am I to worry about civil unrest,I mean Elon musk is probably on here with his dick out giving out battery advice

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Boom time for offies.

over a year ago

"Boom time for offies."

I hope they send me a drink then eh

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Boom time for offies.

I hope they send me a drink then eh "

over a year ago

Just heard that Green King pubs are shutting 79 pubs down. So the way it's looking offies will be the only place to buy alcohol soon...

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

Cardboard box?

You were lucky.."

Eeeh bah eck the 5 yorkshiremen...love it

over a year ago

So everything else curtailed and now the suggestion of alcohol...nuts...apart from the tax and finances and business revenue how do you think people will react through a winter with an alcohol ban. I work throughout all weathers in Winter and a nice little warming shot is my wind down...my one pleasure in this crazy world as the only thing left for me to do is work. Sounds daft but it would have quite an effect on people if they cant even have a drink. And banning it won t have any effect on covid.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Maybe but it's doing the opposite here by the looks of things...think it's time to do something differently myself..

Yes the obvious answer is to open bars and restaurants longer and reduce capacity at any one time."

over a year ago

For those that are in the know. The only thing that was not rationed during the world wars was alcohol. Beer to be precise and why was that? Because it kept our moral up while all around was doom and glum. Now I am not suggesting we compare this Covid disease to 2 world wars but the reasoning to keep the pumps flowing is basically the same. Everyone just think about it for a second. And also the fact already mentioned that persons would just stock up. Just like they did in Africa and Spain. To name just a few places.

By *old1974Man
over a year ago

Manchester

I'm off to the mad house parties in Scotland,as pubs have shut, covid will spike for sure now.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"I'm off to the mad house parties in Scotland,as pubs have shut, covid will spike for sure now."

Totally agree - beware the Law of Unintended Consequence

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"While we get excited about enforced abstinence, the prospect of creating thousands of redundancies and scapegoating the young and the pub goers, can we please take a moment to check the statistics from Public Health England which show that less than 5% of outbreaks are linked to pubs, bars and restaurants?"

I wasn't aware of that. If accurate that's a really good point. So where are the infections spreading and how do we know this information is accurate as opposed to from a party with a vested interest?

By *LAchillesMan
over a year ago

North London

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Please not that.

over a year ago

"While we get excited about enforced abstinence, the prospect of creating thousands of redundancies and scapegoating the young and the pub goers, can we please take a moment to check the statistics from Public Health England which show that less than 5% of outbreaks are linked to pubs, bars and restaurants?

I wasn't aware of that. If accurate that's a really good point. So where are the infections spreading and how do we know this information is accurate as opposed to from a party with a vested interest? "

It's from the ons ,I posted it half way up, it was 3-5%

45-51% was schools and universities,I suggested we could try halving that figure to save 25% of infections but apparently that's just mass madness

By *LAchillesMan
over a year ago

North London

"So everything else curtailed and now the suggestion of alcohol...nuts...apart from the tax and finances and business revenue how do you think people will react through a winter with an alcohol ban. I work throughout all weathers in Winter and a nice little warming shot is my wind down...my one pleasure in this crazy world as the only thing left for me to do is work. Sounds daft but it would have quite an effect on people if they cant even have a drink. And banning it won t have any effect on covid. "

Absolutely !

over a year ago

Should we also ban toilet roll? 100 people can go in to a supermarket on Saturday afternoon and fight over the last pack of Andrex but none of them are allowed in a shop on their own after 10pm to buy alcohol . Makes a whole heap of sense to me ......

over a year ago

"While we get excited about enforced abstinence, the prospect of creating thousands of redundancies and scapegoating the young and the pub goers, can we please take a moment to check the statistics from Public Health England which show that less than 5% of outbreaks are linked to pubs, bars and restaurants?

I wasn't aware of that. If accurate that's a really good point. So where are the infections spreading and how do we know this information is accurate as opposed to from a party with a vested interest? .

45-51% was schools and universities,I suggested we could try halving that figure to save 25% of infections but apparently that's just mass madness "

What percentage is in the home,with a few cases of oranjeboom after the social distanced bars?

By *layfull pairingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Ban booze entirely ?!?! God help us, as if things ain’t miserable enough already

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

Just because the press manage to show one or two pics of a busy off licence doesnt mean there are loads busy, just like the pictures of beaches taken from an angle to show they were packed and certainly one shown of Bournemouth was not taken this year due to it not showing fire damage that occurred this year. The press have an agenda we dont all fall for it.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Should we also ban toilet roll? 100 people can go in to a supermarket on Saturday afternoon and fight over the last pack of Andrex but none of them are allowed in a shop on their own after 10pm to buy alcohol . Makes a whole heap of sense to me ......"

Not really understanding the analogy. People don't get pissed and uninhibited by imbibing toilet rolls. They do lose inhibitions and sensibility drinking alcohol.

over a year ago

"Just because the press manage to show one or two pics of a busy off licence doesnt mean there are loads busy, just like the pictures of beaches taken from an angle to show they were packed and certainly one shown of Bournemouth was not taken this year due to it not showing fire damage that occurred this year. The press have an agenda we dont all fall for it."

Strange as I've not seen one photo of off license's. You dont need to see a picture to make a connection to what is happening after the pubs shut...or in my area where you cant meet a mate in a pub to the strong possibility that people will turn to meeting in houses.

Just think back in spring when everybody seemed to be meeting up with mates in the back garden...its getting a little cold for that now isn't it...

over a year ago

Your thoughts?

. Sounds like a comment from someone who’s income comes from the public sector money tree. The economy provides the money for everything. Try and understand that.

over a year ago

"Should we also ban toilet roll? 100 people can go in to a supermarket on Saturday afternoon and fight over the last pack of Andrex but none of them are allowed in a shop on their own after 10pm to buy alcohol . Makes a whole heap of sense to me ......

Not really understanding the analogy. People don't get pissed and uninhibited by imbibing toilet rolls. They do lose inhibitions and sensibility drinking alcohol. "

Wrong. SOME individuals lose inhibitions and sensibility when they’ve consumed stupid amounts of alcohol, not average joe public who enjoys a few cans after work on a Friday night. Why should alcohol be banned for everyone because of dickheads that can’t handle their drink and refuse to follow simple rules ?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I wasn't aware of that. If accurate that's a really good point. So where are the infections spreading and how do we know this information is accurate as opposed to from a party with a vested interest? .

45-51% was schools and universities,I suggested we could try halving that figure to save 25% of infections but apparently that's just mass madness "

A lot of the big outbreaks have been linked to food production facilities (usually the ones that mass manufacture low cost ready made food).

Also, some of the blame has been put to people meeting in groups in private residences. The occurrence of house gatherings is only likely to increase following curbs to licenced premise opening hours or short term prohibition (black market alcohol, increase in recreational drug use etc)

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

What does it say about our nation if stopping the sale of alcohol will bring the infection rate down

By *ingeriearoundTV/TS
over a year ago

Where ever the wind takes me

Didn't go well for the last person to ban alcohol in the UK.

over a year ago

does the ban include alcohol based hand sanitizer

over a year ago

45-51% was schools and universities,I suggested we could try halving that figure to save 25% of infections but apparently that's just mass madness

What percentage is in the home,with a few cases of oranjeboom after the social distanced bars?"

Off the top of my head I think it was about 6%

The top three was schools and universities, hospitals and care facilities and work places, now I don't think we should close any of them but I do think we could cut back on infection rates on the big three quite easily with little cost to the economy and small gains on those three would produce 3 to 14 times better reduction in infection than the entire of bars and restaurants.

This government is willfully incompetent, we know who's at risk from this virus, we've known all summer, we could have actually ring fenced them like they said in the spring but no, just keep running the economy into the ground because there incapable and incompetent, there get out of jail card will be we were just following the scientists advice and there scientists and advisors have two decisions.

1 lockdown everything and if it still goes tits well we can't be to blame because we did everything we could(downside is economic disaster that will kill 10 fold more but it won't come back to haunt us)

2 be brave,admit there's not alot we can do except protect the vulnerable as best we can while everybody else cracks on with as many sensible hands face space precautions where we can.(downside another 50,000 deaths which will come back to haunt us)

Now I don't know but I reckon given that choice every single one of them is going to pick 1 because even scientists are biased to their own arses

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Jeeeez, whatever next. People need some pleasures in life.

We need normality as much as we can, not more ridiculous restrictions imposed.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I don’t see this happening. I see Pubs closing circuit breaking style though.

I just don’t think any measures are going to work now unless it’s another lockdown. And I don’t see that happen.

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"does the ban include alcohol based hand sanitizer "

Already stocking gallons of the stuff. Entrepreneurship at its best

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Didn't go well for the last person to ban alcohol in the UK. "

Who was that?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Your thoughts?

Screw the economy...lives are more important! . Sounds like a comment from someone who’s income comes from the public sector money tree. The economy provides the money for everything. Try and understand that. "

You mean the public Sector money tree that imposed an 8 year pay freeze or has seen real wages not rise on real terms since 2008?

That's a fucking small tree .

By *avid ElliottCouple
over a year ago

West Worthing

"Didn't go well for the last person to ban alcohol in the UK.

Who was that?"

Yes please remind us who that was !

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Who was that?"

Did Cromwell try it?

He was a mood hoover

over a year ago

If ,as we are told ? That washing your hands,wearing a face mask and staying 3 ft apart ,keeps you safe.Then surely that should be enough, not to have another lock down?I'm starting to believe, that if we keep to those 3 simple measures, we should carry as normally as possible.

over a year ago

"Jeeeez, whatever next. People need some pleasures in life.

We need normality as much as we can, not more ridiculous restrictions imposed."

By *om girlCouple (FF)
over a year ago

South Yorkshire

If ypu keep the economy open you will always spread the virus and why was deafh still high in lock down when everyone was inside and now its been open for month hospitals addimsion and death low thats what you should be wondering

And why was parliament bar still seeling alcohol and why in all meeting no politicians wearinv mask

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

"Plus where is your evidence that EVERYBODY is leaving bars and restaurants at 10pm and going to an off license/supermarket?.

I must clearly mix in the wrong circles as I've never seen any of this but I have noticed some establishments far busier during Friday Saturday busy periods 4-8pm"

i work sat nights for a cab company and believe me they are

over a year ago

"Two years ago the financial and economic world was getting very worried about Brexit, the sixth largest economy in the world was going to have "trading problems"which could lead to 3-7% reduction in UK output and this was likely to tip the global economy into a recession.

Fast forward two years and apparently the entire Western world's economy going down 30% isn't a problem?.

Now I'm just a simpleton with a desk job in a piffling gov dept but even I know 2+2=4 "

I'm still waiting for somebody to correct me on my thinking but nobody's seems to want to?

So how come one was a major problem but the other is just meh don't worry about it, it'll bounce back

over a year ago

There really not thinking things through though, they've just got the pitchforks out and need a Virgin to throw into the volcano to appease the disease god "

That's so close to the truth it's frightening!

By *ingeriearoundTV/TS
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 08/10/20 08:51:17]

By *ingeriearoundTV/TS
over a year ago

Who was that?

Did Cromwell try it?

He was a mood hoover "

It was indeed Cromwell.

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"Two years ago the financial and economic world was getting very worried about Brexit, the sixth largest economy in the world was going to have "trading problems"which could lead to 3-7% reduction in UK output and this was likely to tip the global economy into a recession.

Now I'm just a simpleton with a desk job in a piffling gov dept but even I know 2+2=4

I'm still waiting for somebody to correct me on my thinking but nobody's seems to want to?

So how come one was a major problem but the other is just meh don't worry about it, it'll bounce back "

Because the world has just realised, you can just print more money or click a few buttons on a keyboard and the debt has disappeared.

No seriously, it's a great point you make, I think we all know we will be struggling for many many years as a result of this virus and economic interest, but yes we were up in arms over the £38m we had to give the EU in a settlement to leave yet now hundreds of billion later and its all swept under the carpet.

This is a world wide problem and if something like money is stopping the world from tackling this we as humans don't understand the world. Surely the imf or world bank should fund all countries tackling the virus. I get the whole problem with printing money but it really shouldn't come to this. Rant over

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Who was that?

Did Cromwell try it?

He was a mood hoover

It was indeed Cromwell. "

Never knew that

over a year ago

Cromwell and the puritans were also the last ones to close all the theatres down.

He also banned Christmas . . .

Sound familiar ?

over a year ago

"Cromwell and the puritans were also the last ones to close all the theatres down.

He also banned Christmas . . .

Sound familiar ?"

Ah but he never had a virus forum to debate his restrictions did he

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your thoughts?

Screw the economy...lives are more important! . Sounds like a comment from someone who’s income comes from the public sector money tree. The economy provides the money for everything. Try and understand that. "

You shouldn't assume!

over a year ago

The issue with the 10pm closing of all establishments is that then everyone hits the streets, buses, taxis, etc it needs to be staggered closing times. Reduce the people on transport and streets etc if restaurants closed 10.pm then bars close 10.30..just make it no entry anywhere after 9.00 or 9.30pm it used to be a nightmare in town centres when bars closed 11.00 and clubs at 2.00...the longer hours actually reduced congestion on streets and transport..

Post new Message to Thread