Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Holidays?

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Looking at the Spain section, bit puzzled as to why any (many?) people seem so determined to go on holiday right now.

Given all that’s happening is it really a hardship to just not go?

For the record - I love and miss holidays.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *empsey and hotpieceMan
over a year ago

North west

We had 4 holidays lined up for this year, managed to get a 4 day break in to Ibiza in July, while the safe travel corridor was in place, but the other 3 holidays have been written off and can’t see us traveling abroad for quite a while now

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

"Looking at the Spain section, bit puzzled as to why any (many?) people seem so determined to go on holiday right now.

For the record - I love and miss holidays. "

Not sure that we should be telling people not to go on Holiday.

As long as they know all the potentials then Happy Holidays I say.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

We can't go, but I don't blame those that are going. There are posts of good airport experiences and half empty planes, so it's just practicing the normal safety procedure and they are very strict in these places.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Looking at the Spain section, bit puzzled as to why any (many?) people seem so determined to go on holiday right now.

Probably for the exact same reasons they wanted to go before?.

Hardship? Probably not but then what's so bad about people going on holiday? Are you telling me without people going on holiday we'd have no covid cases?.

By *inballs99Man
over a year ago

Blackheath

There was 20 poeple on my flight !

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple
over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

Some people have worked hard throughout the pandemic and are exhausted; they deserve a holiday and to choose where they go.

Some people have family who live abroad and are desperate to see them.

Some people have second homes abroad and are worried about the condition they are in whilst they have been standing empty for so long.

There are many reasons why people go abroad and like everything, adults should be able to make informed decisions about their actions without judgement or reprise

over a year ago

"There was 20 poeple on my flight ! "

They won't be flying very long though if those numbers keep up.

By *inballs99Man
over a year ago

Blackheath

"There was 20 poeple on my flight !

They won't be flying very long though if those numbers keep up."

I thought the same !

It was a BA flight!

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

Why not if you have the time to isolate when you get home?

over a year ago

"There was 20 poeple on my flight !

They won't be flying very long though if those numbers keep up.

I thought the same !

It was a BA flight!"

Battling it out in the hope things change soon

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Had a couple of breaks this year one more for November. I’m more impressed as to how my destination keeps a lid on Covid than the UK to be honest.

As long as I isolate when I return I am happy with my decision.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

We lost over £1200 on a holiday ..... never book with Villa Plus - VERY customer unfriendly!!

Anyone who books and takes a holiday abroad at the moment does so at risk! ... things change sooo much and there is a need to react, if they come back and have to quarantine - that is the risk they take, or that they get locked down in their local area and can’t go.

I have little sympathy for those I see on the news complaining about it! ... the risks are well publicised, as is the stance taken by travel companies.

For me - I will wait until this is over before going anywhere near a foreign holiday .... I don’t want to take the risk of losing money again!

R

over a year ago

You still have to quarantine when you return from Spain so I guess if people are able to do that then I don't see an issue.

If you choose to go knowing that you aren't prepared to quarantine then thats a different issue and no you shouldn't go.

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple
over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"You still have to quarantine when you return from Spain so I guess if people are able to do that then I don't see an issue.

If you choose to go knowing that you aren't prepared to quarantine then thats a different issue and no you shouldn't go. "

Exactly. It's an informed choice. If you choose to go away or need to go away to check property, then you do your due diligence beforehand. Are you willing to quarantine if necessary? Are you willing to get stuck in the country if there's a sudden restriction on travel? Are you able to pay for a repatriation flight, probably at an inflated price once travel restrictions are slightly lifted? Do you have an understanding employer? Can you afford to be stuck or pay for additional flights?

These are all questions that any responsible adult should ask and if they still choose to travel, then that is their prerogative. If the government is allowing people to travel under certain restrictions, then people will travel. Simple as that.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"You still have to quarantine when you return from Spain so I guess if people are able to do that then I don't see an issue.

If you choose to go knowing that you aren't prepared to quarantine then thats a different issue and no you shouldn't go. "

I am pretty certain most to not isolate they do not give a damn.

The government did admit that maybe up to 80% do not bother

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Adults have to be respected as such, to largely take their own decisions, making choices, that they wish to, within the boundaries set by our culture.

People have earned their income, have differing interests and social distancing, hygiene measures etc are possible to arrange for travel.

Divided and conquered, is worse than focusing on the virus as the threat.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

For the record - I love and miss holidays.

Probably for the exact same reasons they wanted to go before?.

Hardship? Probably not but then what's so bad about people going on holiday? Are you telling me without people going on holiday we'd have no covid cases?."

If people didn't go on holidays we wouldn't have as many strains of sars-cov-2 in the UK as we do, thats how the different flu strains keep going as we constantly mix them up between us with travel

By *eter pepper 77Man
over a year ago

kelsall

My brother lives in Spain , he drove over here instead of flying , His wife and kids flew into the uk on Monday, there driving back to Spain next week. And before the idiots start shouting , there all here to attend a funeral

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

[Removed by poster at 07/10/20 18:20:45]

over a year ago

It's no more risky than going to the pub. Probably less so as people on flights have to wear masks.

Can't see the point of isolating when they return. People don't isolate after the pub.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

We have a place on Spain so desperate to go, we normally go every 6 weeks and missed it terribly but had every flight cancelled along with other destinations, Jet2 cancelled all flights to Almeria until May 21, we could fly into an airport further afield but don’t want the two week quarantine on return

By *ushtush300Couple
over a year ago

Southport

We went to turkey so safe Had amazing time going again as soon as we can YOLO

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"We went to turkey so safe Had amazing time going again as soon as we can YOLO "

Never been to Turkey. Quite fancy it one day. I agree YOLO as long as you are careful and isolate.

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"We went to turkey so safe Had amazing time going again as soon as we can YOLO "

Lots of places overseas are more organised and safer than the U.K., get busy living or get busy dying

By *c69funCouple
over a year ago

Chesterfield

At a guess They will be subsidising the lack of passengers with extra air freight

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"We went to turkey so safe Had amazing time going again as soon as we can YOLO

Never been to Turkey. Quite fancy it one day. I agree YOLO as long as you are careful and isolate. "

Went to Turkey some years ago got food poisening

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"We went to turkey so safe Had amazing time going again as soon as we can YOLO

Never been to Turkey. Quite fancy it one day. I agree YOLO as long as you are careful and isolate. Went to Turkey some years ago got food poisening"

Never again?

By *c69funCouple
over a year ago

Chesterfield

We should of gone to Turkey on Saturday for 2 weeks, got cancelled Thursday night, tui rung Friday asked what we wanted to do about refund, full refund returned Monday, so we were fortunate in that regards.

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

Just had a week's wreck diving in the med. Fourth holiday this year. Relocating to France has worked like dream.

over a year ago

"It's no more risky than going to the pub. Probably less so as people on flights have to wear masks.

Can't see the point of isolating when they return. People don't isolate after the pub. "

Nailed in 1, bravo

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I have no issues with anyone going on holiday if they want to. If they should be isolating, they should do so - preferably with checks being made and hefty fines if found not to be.

It's no good anyone whining about isolating though - accept it as a condition of the holiday. Can't isolate on return? Don't go. Easy.

over a year ago

If it wasn't for Covid, I'd still be working in the passport office but looking on the bright side, I've been told I'll get back to work in January. Better being safe just now though and not going abroad at all x

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"It's no more risky than going to the pub. Probably less so as people on flights have to wear masks.

Can't see the point of isolating when they return. People don't isolate after the pub. "

I suppose though in a pub people aren't reliant on a recirculated air system to breathe? Which is one of the reasons I think face coverings on a plane aren't all that effective?

If people want to go on holiday good for them, as there are plenty who are working from home I suppose the self isolation thing isn't an issue? I think it's wrong to deny people their little pleasures in life if they can be done safely. Plus it helps out the struggling industry (both here and abroad). We're seeing so many people losing their livlihoods right now.

over a year ago

"I have no issues with anyone going on holiday if they want to. If they should be isolating, they should do so - preferably with checks being made and hefty fines if found not to be.

It's no good anyone whining about isolating though - accept it as a condition of the holiday. Can't isolate on return? Don't go. Easy."

I would agree with this. If people want to go away that's entirely up to them but they shouldn't then give an interview to the BBC moaning that they went to a country on holiday and now its On the quarantine list and have to quarantine for 2 weeks or cut their holiday short. We all know the risk of travelling right now.

By *unloversCouple
over a year ago

rotherham

Would still rather stay home right now

We so miss our holidays to Gran Canaria but really don’t want to go while it’s empty

Just not the same for us even though we so desperate for a break

X

over a year ago

Just been away for a week was brilliant and very quiet.

By *asalswgCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Madeira island is free quarentine

over a year ago

I read something that France had done a study on travel, it covered all types of travel and included flights. The result from it was they come up with that traveling has only a risk factor of 1.2%. This might be because of less people using buses trains or flights and there is more social distancing at present on them. But with travel deemed safe near empty resorts and what spending the bulk of your time being outdoors, it might be a week in Spain is safer than a week in the UK.

By *empsey and hotpieceMan
over a year ago

North west

"We lost over £1200 on a holiday ..... never book with Villa Plus - VERY customer unfriendly!!

Anyone who books and takes a holiday abroad at the moment does so at risk! ... things change sooo much and there is a need to react, if they come back and have to quarantine - that is the risk they take, or that they get locked down in their local area and can’t go.

I have little sympathy for those I see on the news complaining about it! ... the risks are well publicised, as is the stance taken by travel companies.

For me - I will wait until this is over before going anywhere near a foreign holiday .... I don’t want to take the risk of losing money again!

R "

We were refused a refund from Ryanair for flights to France in September, we’d even have been happy to move flights to another date or destination, but in typical Ryanair style they wanted to charge us extra. Luckily I’d booked with a credit card, so a quick call to them and they agreed I’d been sold a service not fit for purpose, money back on my card within days.

Lesson learned, don’t ever book with Ryanair again, they don’t care less about their customers

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Time to book a last minute holiday methinks. Need some sunshine/vitamin D. Sick of the doom and gloom here.

over a year ago

"Had a couple of breaks this year one more for November. I’m more impressed as to how my destination keeps a lid on Covid than the UK to be honest.

As long as I isolate when I return I am happy with my decision. "

this

i will also say ive never felt so much benefit from a holiday in my life... sure i always enjoy getting away but after 6 months of working and living in the same space, a change of scenery and no work emails for 2 weeks was well worth the quarantine

over a year ago

"Just had a week's wreck diving in the med. Fourth holiday this year. Relocating to France has worked like dream. "

Pretty envious.

I haven't been abroad anywhere warm to dive in 3 years.

I sure miss it.

Even just snorkeling and swimming in the ocean would be wonderful.

By *iL DeVeLWoman
over a year ago

Luton

People want to do what they want to do and to hell with the rules. But its always been like that from speeding through narcotics to assault. going on holiday is just another im going to do what I want to do and to the hell with everyone else.

over a year ago

I'm a key worker and lost out on two holidays because of covid-19. I'm flying to Rhodes next Thursday for 2 weeks - I feel I deserve a break and it's actually a whole lot safer in Greece than huge parts of UK at the moment

By *ive Bar Beauty QueenWoman
over a year ago

Stoke

"I'm a key worker and lost out on two holidays because of covid-19. I'm flying to Rhodes next Thursday for 2 weeks - I feel I deserve a break and it's actually a whole lot safer in Greece than huge parts of UK at the moment"

So are only key workers deserving or is it because you are a key worker you can state its safer. Is it safer for the Greeks as we have far higher infection rate or don't they matter?

By *aughty Little SecretsCouple
over a year ago

Wetherby

We also love our hols! But I’m afraid needs must! “I’m not dying for a holiday!!”

over a year ago

I never said only key workers are deserving, and I didn't say that because I am a key worker it is safer. I just said I feel I deserve a break! Only 5 cases of Covid-19 have been detected on Rhodes, and no deaths. Of course the Greeks matter, but they have handled the situation a whole lot better than UK.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

" Of course the Greeks matter, but they have handled the situation a whole lot better than UK.

"

They were doing just fine until the boozy Brits arrived in places like Crete and infections went sky high

over a year ago

"People want to do what they want to do and to hell with the rules. But its always been like that from speeding through narcotics to assault. going on holiday is just another im going to do what I want to do and to the hell with everyone else."

except speeding, narcotics and assault are illegal and holidays are not

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

" Of course the Greeks matter, but they have handled the situation a whole lot better than UK.

They were doing just fine until the boozy Brits arrived in places like Crete and infections went sky high"

And zante...

By *oonloverWoman
over a year ago

bognor regis

We haven't been away this year as we wouldn't have been able to do the things in the way we like which makes it a holiday- if people can go and enjoy themselves then why not go

over a year ago

"I never said only key workers are deserving, and I didn't say that because I am a key worker it is safer. I just said I feel I deserve a break! Only 5 cases of Covid-19 have been detected on Rhodes, and no deaths. Of course the Greeks matter, but they have handled the situation a whole lot better than UK.

"

Everyone deserves a break, key worker or not.

Post new Message to Thread