Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Holy carp, you can get the virus twice

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

On my way home I popped into my local shopping center.

I bumped into the wife of a friend of mine who I have not seen a while.

My friend is a builder and in different people's houses all week.

She told me her husband got the virus in April and was in the hospital for 10 days.

Worryingly she told me despite wearing a mask all the time and using hand sanitiser he has got covid again. He is in the hospital again and this time his symptoms are much worse. She said he is so bad she fears he may not make it this time. She thinks he is going to die.

My friend is 39 years old.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Gosh, so sorry, I hope he pulls through...

By *rouble1998Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Sorry to hear that, hope they’re ok!

I’m convinced I’ve had it twice too, I was really poorly with COVID symptoms in January while i was in Vietnam and I also tested positive on friday

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I know several people who have had it twice and that's with having negative tests in between.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Fuck. Hope he gets better.

over a year ago

It's rare but it does seem to occur occasionally in some, oddly the worst effected seem to have a stronger immune response so your friend must be having really bad luck.

By *xelf787Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

As there was no testing back in April then it cannot be clearly stated that what he had back then was Covid- 19

over a year ago

Sadly some people have poor immune systems and are susceptible to reinfection. But its all ok as long as the young and reckless can get out and party in the boozers.

By *he BWCMan
over a year ago

Stafford

Soory to hear this sad news and hope that he pulls through OK.

over a year ago

"

Worryingly she told me despite wearing a mask all the time and using hand sanitiser he has got covid again.

"

Unfortunately waring a mask mainly reduces the chances of you infecting others, only bare minimal reduction on the chance of you getting infected.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

There are always people whose immune responses don't conform to the normal, thankfully they are a tiny minority.

On the other hand, it has been suggested that the antibodies could be fairly short lived anyway. There are several vaccines which require a periodical booster, it may be that Covid will be one of them.

Cal

over a year ago

Damn twice just as I thought it couldn't get much worse. Hope he gets over it ASAP.

over a year ago

All viruses evolve so anyone can catch it twice. People have been catching influenza every year for many years and it’s the same strain just slightly different every year. When people’s natural immune defences build up the virus adapts slightly

By *orkshire_roses999Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

so...in theory the virus he may have caught maybe a variant strain of Sars-CoVID-19....theres currently I believe 3 strains out there...….

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

I said weeks ago you can get the virus twice and get laughed at. I got told I was talking shit.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"As there was no testing back in April then it cannot be clearly stated that what he had back then was Covid- 19"

There was testing back in April.

over a year ago

It will be a different strain like the other few that have caught it again.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

That's a sad, worrying report op. We're still learning about the immune response to the virus and viral load may impact on this - his load may not have been high enough to trigger a strong, enduring immune response, I wonder. His attack now may be worse, due to the physical damage he may have received from the first.

It's a wake up call for us all to take precautions, even if we may have had it before.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"As there was no testing back in April then it cannot be clearly stated that what he had back then was Covid- 19"

We were testing from before that and people in hospital suspected of having it were generally tested, unlike the majority who were told to quarantine at home, without any testing

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

What is the point of a vaccine if people can catch it twice ?

over a year ago

"What is the point of a vaccine if people can catch it twice ?"

That’s why you have the flu jab every year. Viruses evolve the only way out of this plandemic is herd immunity. Unfortunately people will die getting there but there’s no other way

over a year ago

In general they don't, there's always outliers when doing large numbers, occasionally somebody under 40 dies of it without any comorbidities, it's just random chance and not the norm.

On average there 82 with 2.7 comorbidities.

By *xelf787Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"What is the point of a vaccine if people can catch it twice ?

That’s why you have the flu jab every year. Viruses evolve the only way out of this plandemic is herd immunity. Unfortunately people will die getting there but there’s no other way "

The reason why certain people are given the flu jab every year is not because of that it's because there are hundreds of different viruses that cause influenza. The flu jab given each year is different. It is a combination of the different virus strains predicted for that year.

By *xelf787Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"As there was no testing back in April then it cannot be clearly stated that what he had back then was Covid- 19

There was testing back in April. "

No widespread testing though so unless this person specifically had a test for Covid- 19 there is no way it can be stated he has had it twice.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Most people won't catch it twice (or even once), as most people's immune response will match the expected norm.

The main function that a vaccine will fulfil is to break the chain of transmissions. Even if the immune response is only valid for three months (one of the figures suggested), if you vaccinated the entire population then the virus wouldn't be able to be transmitted for the next three months... so the virus would die out. Obviously not everyone will be vaccinated and a very small number will develop no immune response, so the virus will still be around but the transmission opportunities will be seriously curtailed by those protected. There will probably need to be an annual jab like we currently use for seasonal flu.

Cal

over a year ago

Yep you can. I was shown in July to have antibodies from when I was ill in the end of march/beginning of April. Later test in August showed negative.

Just had another positive test come through

By *ungblackbullMan
over a year ago

scotland

"Yep you can. I was shown in July to have antibodies from when I was ill in the end of march/beginning of April. Later test in August showed negative.

Just had another positive test come through "

August test possible a false negative?

over a year ago

"Yep you can. I was shown in July to have antibodies from when I was ill in the end of march/beginning of April. Later test in August showed negative.

Just had another positive test come through

August test possible a false negative?"

No, 3 tests negative (i donated for antibody research so they're quite thorough with me. Just had it ping through as a positive. Was very Ill the 1st time, but not anywhere near as bad this time round, but it's there, another positive. And that's with being super careful too

over a year ago

I had it in April and got tested positive x

over a year ago

"so...in theory the virus he may have caught maybe a variant strain of Sars-CoVID-19....theres currently I believe 3 strains out there...…."

This is what I was thinking different strains of the virus going around, because some who have it feel fine whilst others are seriously ill.

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Quite a few viruses can hide in the body and re-appear - we don't know if Covid does this yet or it is a genuine re-infection.

By *D835Man
over a year ago

London

"That's a sad, worrying report op. We're still learning about the immune response to the virus and viral load may impact on this - his load may not have been high enough to trigger a strong, enduring immune response, I wonder. His attack now may be worse, due to the physical damage he may have received from the first.

It's a wake up call for us all to take precautions, even if we may have had it before. "

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

To acquire some period of immunity is better than getting infected and death. The better vaccine will provide effective longer term cover that's beyond the levels from infection. A few vaccines may require repeated shots. Some people will potentially develop a longer lasting immunity. Older people generally start to have an immune system that's not as effective as someone who's younger, so may need more frequent or different vaccines

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"As there was no testing back in April then it cannot be clearly stated that what he had back then was Covid- 19

There was testing back in April.

No widespread testing though so unless this person specifically had a test for Covid- 19 there is no way it can be stated he has had it twice."

He did have a covid test back in April. He was in hospital back in April. The hospital tested him and told him he had covid.

The hospital tested him again when he got the virus a second time and confirmed he had got the virus for a second time.

!00% my mate has had the covid virus twice.

By *ealArtfulDodgerMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

It's the old adage what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... Yes more able to cope and fight this or any, virus and/or bug off, but immune No unfortunately for us all not a chance.. My thoughts and everyone else's I'm sure are with you...!

By *inkypalandherMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Some vaccine induce production of T cells not just antibodies. Antibodies trigger immune system response, T cells kill viruses.

over a year ago

"Quite a few viruses can hide in the body and re-appear - we don't know if Covid does this yet or it is a genuine re-infection."

They all do, the chicken pox virus you got when you were 5 is still in you, it didn't go anywhere, just dormant.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"the chicken pox virus you got when you were 5 is still in you, it didn't go anywhere, just dormant."

Then when you are a pensioner it reappears as shingles

over a year ago

"the chicken pox virus you got when you were 5 is still in you, it didn't go anywhere, just dormant.

Then when you are a pensioner it reappears as shingles"

I read somewhere that between 6-8% of a person's body mass is made up of pathogens

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

No wonder I'm overweight !

over a year ago

"No wonder I'm overweight !"

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"No wonder I'm overweight !"

obviously not!

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"No wonder I'm overweight !

obviously not!"

The pathogens are obviously all lodged in my flabby stomach !!!

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"No wonder I'm overweight !

obviously not!

The pathogens are obviously all lodged in my flabby stomach !!!"

Haha

Post new Message to Thread