Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Where did you catch it?

Jump to newest

By *uliaChris OP   Couple
over a year ago

westerham

Be interesting to learn from anyone who wants to share how they think they caught Covid.

I know there’s a lot of healthcare workers on fab.

Did anyone sit next to someone spluttering on a bus for example and think, yep, that’s who gave it to me?

Or do you think your kids brought it back from school?

(We’re not really pub goers, but there were some recent stats showing pub and restaurant source infections were really low, 3% I think).

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

"Be interesting to learn from anyone who wants to share how they think they caught Covid.

Did anyone sit next to someone spluttering on a bus for example and think, yep, that’s who gave it to me?

(We’re not really pub goers, but there were some recent stats showing pub and restaurant source infections were really low, 3% I think)."

In a child's paddling pool off a man in see through shorts.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

over a year ago

westerham

"Be interesting to learn from anyone who wants to share how they think they caught Covid.

(We’re not really pub goers, but there were some recent stats showing pub and restaurant source infections were really low, 3% I think).

In a child's paddling pool off a man in see through shorts.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. "

Had to think about that then realised you were talking about us lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

From my wife who caught it from the nursing home that she works who had 3 people transferred to it who had not been cleared of the virus before they were transferred there.

Thanks NHS.

over a year ago

Went to an old FWB’s house to play!

over a year ago

westerham

"From my wife who caught it from the nursing home that she works who had 3 people transferred to it who had not been cleared of the virus before they were transferred there.

Thanks NHS."

Did your wife have symptoms or did you realise only later what had happened?

over a year ago

"From my wife who caught it from the nursing home that she works who had 3 people transferred to it who had not been cleared of the virus before they were transferred there.

Thanks NHS."

I work(ed, as I've just given my notice) in the NHS and for months we had staff dropping like flies as a result of poor handling of care homes by the government.

Thanks care homes?

No, thanks government and your inability to make sensible and timely decisions when a problem arises

over a year ago

Thanks NHS.

I work(ed, as I've just given my notice) in the NHS and for months we had staff dropping like flies as a result of poor handling of care homes by the government.

Thanks care homes?

No, thanks government and your inability to make sensible and timely decisions when a problem arises"

Some of the blame has to lie on the care home owners shoulders surely. My sister works in a care home, they had one case and dealt with it. The resident went to hospital for treatment, but it was stopped from spreading.

By *omfilthMan
over a year ago

Gloucester

Surely the care homes shouldn’t accept the person if there hasn’t been a negative test?? Am I wrong to say this??

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

We have no idea where we caught it. I started with symptoms on 31st October. We'd been working from home since 19th March, so my symptoms started 12 days after. We work with international students, so it's possible we got it at work, but we also went for lunch in the week leading up to the home working period; a couple of colleagues started isolating on the Mon/Tue of the week we stopped attending the physic workplace and I'd been to the supermarket a couple of times between 19-31 March. Basically, could've been work (colleagues or students), cafés, shops or anything. Not a clue to be honest, as no colleagues or students ever had a positive test at the time, but then again no-one with mild symptoms was being tested. We only got confirmation it WAS Covid when I had the antibody test in August.

over a year ago

Not 100% sure it was Covid (this was back in March when testing wasn't available, so really just going by symptoms) but my nephew was the first affected so we think he picked it up from school.

over a year ago

Thanks NHS.

Did your wife have symptoms or did you realise only later what had happened?"

She had symptoms 2 days before me but for some strange reason they would only test me and not her.

Even though she was the key worker

Luckily I was on furlough so it didn't hit us financially so much.

over a year ago

Thanks NHS.

Thanks care homes?

No, thanks government and your inability to make sensible and timely decisions when a problem arises"

Her nursing home went into lockdown 2 weeks before the national lockdown.

The infections came from the hospital.

3 who released from the hospital died plus a further 18 in the home.

So thank you NHS.

over a year ago

Thanks NHS.

Thanks care homes?

No, thanks government and your inability to make sensible and timely decisions when a problem arises

Some of the blame has to lie on the care home owners shoulders surely. My sister works in a care home, they had one case and dealt with it. The resident went to hospital for treatment, but it was stopped from spreading. "

Not all care homes are privately owned

Many are local authority run or at least they "own" a percentage of the beds

They allowed the transfer of untested patients, alongside the hospitals who discharged them.

In these circumstances, the managers and staff had no say.

over a year ago

Think my son brought it home from nursery, I took him to the gp with what I thought might be a chest infection on February half term and the following weeks was when I was unwell, I had a positive antibody test in July

By *eckyswings69_PlayCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Cant prove it but think we both had it in January. Never felt like it before or since . Had a cough for 2 months after to.

Had several test since because of work and all negative

over a year ago

Probably my workplace. I work in a hotel!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

May have had it during one of the two periods of illness below:

Came back from Qatar in November feeling rough as hell. (It’s a large transit point from the East)

Then Xmas over 24 of us in a house for three days. Early January I felt terrible and had the cough and temperature symptoms for two weeks.

I’m not normally one for getting ill and because of how shit I felt these two periods stand out for me.

Not confirmed though.

over a year ago

westerham

"Probably my workplace. I work in a hotel!"

Interesting - so maybe from checking someone in for a few minutes from what a metre away? Or from a colleague etc?

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

not sure if i had it or not but end of jan begining of feb caught something fron daughter that fucked me fir nearly 3 weeks couldnt work and barkey got out of bed for two weeks.could of been covid could of been something else.but unless they start testing for antibodys i guess i will never know.also daughters only symptoms seemed to be a cough apart from that she seemed perfectly ok

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I know alot of people who caught covid in NHS hospitals. A couple died. All went in covid free. And still the nurses are not being tested. Shocking and sad.

over a year ago

westerham

Thanks for those that have replied, I thought it would be interesting and possibly educational as to how we all might be at risk -

So far, apart from those who suspect they got it from their children (who have a sniffle half the year anyway), it seems like almost no one is certain who gave it them.

Any more recent cases anyone wants to share?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

My daughter tested positive ten days ago. She has been shielding since March. She either caught it from her asymptomatic partner or from a trip to the doctors.

By *asmartsCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

I have no idea! Myself my wife and son all got it within a day of each other

By *ilancsguyMan
over a year ago

Burnley

Not sure I had it or not as no testing available back then.

Back in January a colleague came into work complaining of a persistent cough & temperature. Went through entire office like wildfire. Had temp, cough then unexpectedly lost sense of taste & smell even though had no cold at all. On paper these are all now known to be text book symptoms. Was ill for lot longer than a normal cough.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Thanks for those that have replied, I thought it would be interesting and possibly educational as to how we all might be at risk -

So far, apart from those who suspect they got it from their children (who have a sniffle half the year anyway), it seems like almost no one is certain who gave it them.

Any more recent cases anyone wants to share?"

Not many have tests to confirm either.

By *uadzillaMan
over a year ago

Warwickshire

Thanks NHS.

Thanks care homes?

Her nursing home went into lockdown 2 weeks before the national lockdown.

The infections came from the hospital.

3 who released from the hospital died plus a further 18 in the home.

So thank you NHS. "

Still happening my cousin works as a care home nurse and they've been ordered to take in 4 patients with covid who are recuperating but are still positive, because they need the beds at the hospital since then 1 of them has passed away and 5 others have also died because of it. So yeah thank you NHS for ORDERING this to happen. Some care homes have the authority to say no but so many of them don't and have to have patients to recuperate before going home. Utterly disgusting

By *errible_TwoCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

I think my hubby and daughter got it in Spain this time last year, she was really bad with coughing, temp, feeling dizzy, it calmed down for a week or 2 then got worse for 2 months, hubby just had a cough that didn't go away from Oct to Feb but I didn't get ill

By *llabouttheladyMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Me - January from colleagues at work, was bad for a good 7 or 8 weeks.

Partner - from kids in early March before any info had been put out regarding symptoms and social distancing etc.

No way this started in January with 2 Chinese students in York and a bloke down south who had been skiing.

No f-ing way

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

(We’re not really pub goers, but there were some recent stats showing pub and restaurant source infections were really low, 3% I think)."

My wife had it in March. She got it from a supermarket trip we think. She is pretty much housebound anyway, and we'd been quarantining out of precaution right from the start as I'm asthmatic. But she went out twice to a supermarket (before all the distancing and screens were in place). So we think that is how. Either that or 9 y/o daughter had it asymptomatically from school. There was no testing in place then, so none of us have been tested.

-Matt

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I got a phone call on Monday saying my colleague I worked with on Friday has tested positive.

My boss insisted I get a test, so I did. Haven’t been contacted by track and trace to self isolate.

My test came back negative this afternoon.

Out of everyone in the office, although only a handful are working, we all knew if anyone got it, it would be him. He hasn't taken this at all seriously. He's just text and said 21 out of 24 people in his football team have tested positive.

By *uadzillaMan
over a year ago

Warwickshire

"I got a phone call on Monday saying my colleague I worked with on Friday has tested positive.

My boss insisted I get a test, so I did. Haven’t been contacted by track and trace to self isolate.

Out of everyone in the office, although only a handful are working, we all knew if anyone got it, it would be him. He hasn't taken this at all seriously. He's just text and said 21 out of 24 people in his football team have tested positive."

Great news for you obviously but can I be the first on here to say what everyone else will be thinking of him ?

What a ####

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"I got a phone call on Monday saying my colleague I worked with on Friday has tested positive.

Out of everyone in the office, although only a handful are working, we all knew if anyone got it, it would be him. He hasn't taken this at all seriously. He's just text and said 21 out of 24 people in his football team have tested positive.

Great news for you obviously but can I be the first on here to say what everyone else will be thinking of him ?

What a ####"

I've called him a lot worse since Monday!!

By *DGF20Man
over a year ago

Dublin

Can u tell us more about symptoms? It looks like very little few people been seriously sick?

over a year ago

North West

"Can u tell us more about symptoms? It looks like very little few people been seriously sick? "

Mine were total loss of smell and taste, mega headache, exhaustion and a mild temp that lasted a few hours and that I didn't know I had till I used a thermometer. It wasn't anything like a cold, more like mild flu but with the taste thing.

over a year ago

westerham

Out of everyone in the office, although only a handful are working, we all knew if anyone got it, it would be him. He hasn't taken this at all seriously. He's just text and said 21 out of 24 people in his football team have tested positive."

It’s that sort of example, 21 out of 24 mates spreading it to each other, that is so fascinating and scary.

Someone with more medical knowledge will contribute, but if that was flu, pneumonia etc you wouldn’t get anything like that rate of transmission?

By *DGF20Man
over a year ago

Dublin

"Can u tell us more about symptoms? It looks like very little few people been seriously sick?

Mine were total loss of smell and taste, mega headache, exhaustion and a mild temp that lasted a few hours and that I didn't know I had till I used a thermometer. It wasn't anything like a cold, more like mild flu but with the taste thing. "

Well that doesn't sound so bad, hopefully you recovered now

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

how did you get a test?

NHS guidance is (aside from obvious occupations) only get one if you develop high temperature, continuous new cough, loss of smell/taste or live with someone who has symptoms, going into hospital for surgery.

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

NHS guidance is (aside from obvious occupations) only get a test/isolate if you develop high temperature, continuous new cough, loss of smell/taste so those would be the key triggers to watch out for.

over a year ago

North West

"Can u tell us more about symptoms? It looks like very little few people been seriously sick?

Mine were total loss of smell and taste, mega headache, exhaustion and a mild temp that lasted a few hours and that I didn't know I had till I used a thermometer. It wasn't anything like a cold, more like mild flu but with the taste thing.

Well that doesn't sound so bad, hopefully you recovered now "

I'm fine now, S has residual Covid cough some 6 months later but otherwise fine too.

To the person asking how I got a test - it was an antibody test done as part of pre op blood tests at the start of August.

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

good news re you,

sorry question about how was aimed at _edangel_2013

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"how did you get a test?

NHS guidance is (aside from obvious occupations) only get one if you develop high temperature, continuous new cough, loss of smell/taste or live with someone who has symptoms, going into hospital for surgery. "

Use the quote button, then people don't get confused

I had been feeling a bit ill with a sore throat, so I got a test. There isn't the long wait in my area. I booked in the morning and was tested at 2pm the same day, I'm also a key worker, so I don't know if that makes a difference to the availability.

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

"how did you get a test?

NHS guidance is (aside from obvious occupations) only get one if you develop high temperature, continuous new cough, loss of smell/taste or live with someone who has symptoms, going into hospital for surgery.

Use the quote button, then people don't get confused

I had been feeling a bit ill with a sore throat, so I got a test. There isn't the long wait in my area. I booked in the morning and was tested at 2pm the same day, I'm also a key worker, so I don't know if that makes a difference to the availability. "

ah ha - everyday is a school day! yup think you double qualify then. my boss sent me home from office on wed am as i was coughing, started sneezing on Sunday, ticklish throat on Tuesday and then coughing so typical bog standard cold symptoms(well he told me remotely to sod off) even though there is only 8 of of us in an open plan office for 150 and I couldn't then get a test. Decided to self isolate for a week as better to be safe than sorry

Post new Message to Thread