Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Masks and gym

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is anyone back at the gym? What is the policy on masks? I'm tempted to get a membership as the rain is putting me off exercising outside but I don't think I'll be able to work out while wearing a mask

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eeker of truthMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Is anyone back at the gym? What is the policy on masks? I'm tempted to get a membership as the rain is putting me off exercising outside but I don't think I'll be able to work out while wearing a mask "

Masks are not required in gyms at the moment.

Whether or not that changes in the coming months we shall see.

But as of now you can workout without a mask.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Masks aren't required and very few are wearing them.

I do. I got some from Bloch which are lower slip and more comfortable than some others.

Not gonna lie, it sucks. It's wet and claustrophobic. And makes the maskne worse.

But given the rates in my area it's the only way I can justify using the gym, which is part of my mental health management.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Is anyone back at the gym? What is the policy on masks? I'm tempted to get a membership as the rain is putting me off exercising outside but I don't think I'll be able to work out while wearing a mask

But as of now you can workout without a mask."

My usual gym up in Newcastle masks are not required.

But as I working away from home at the moment I have joined a pure gym in london.

I received an email on Thursday saying that I have to wear one from tomorrow.

Thats for entering the gym and movement around the gym but not for when you are exercising.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

In my gym you need it to enter reception but once you enter the gym part proper you can remove it.

over a year ago

My gym were doing temperature checking+masks on entry, but that has stopped

Some members are not cleaning down stations before or after using

No masks... And some people just don't give a shit about keeping their distance

I've re-started sharing machines with my trainer, but cleaning religiously between goes

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yeah the lack of cleaning is beginning to irritate me. It's part of the deal you guys

over a year ago

"Yeah the lack of cleaning is beginning to irritate me. It's part of the deal you guys"

My usual gym if you dont clean you are told to clean them by the gym owner or other users.

Puregyms only women and let's say us more mature males clean.

Young males dont give a fuck to be honest.

over a year ago

I cannot imagine exercising in a mask.. walking up and down the stairs at work is enough for me to experience how hard it can be..

No masks are required in my gym. Everyone uses hand sanitiser all over the gym and keeps a distance from others, classes and swim sessions are booked online, main gym workout area only has a certain number of people using it.

It works well.

over a year ago

"I cannot imagine exercising in a mask.. walking up and down the stairs at work is enough for me to experience how hard it can be..

No masks are required in my gym. Everyone uses hand sanitiser all over the gym and keeps a distance from others, classes and swim sessions are booked online, main gym workout area only has a certain number of people using it.

It works well."

Agreed I couldn't train with a mask on.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's not required at present. In my gym I've seen one or two others working out in masks. But I do. It's an option (yes, it sucks).

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

They aren't used in mine, unless you want to.

over a year ago

Required here in gyms in Wales. Just for entering and leaving, and using the toilets/changing rooms. Obviously can be removed to shower and for all exercise and recovery

over a year ago

"I cannot imagine exercising in a mask.. walking up and down the stairs at work is enough for me to experience how hard it can be..

It works well."

That's good

It's obviously not all gyms in Wales then

It's more of a virtue signalling exercise I think rather than having any benefits

By *HaRiFMan
over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

"Yeah the lack of cleaning is beginning to irritate me. It's part of the deal you guys"

It was inevitable some people would not clear up after them self's. Even in normal times some people found it such hard work returning dumbells and other equipment back on the racks.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah the lack of cleaning is beginning to irritate me. It's part of the deal you guys

It was inevitable some people would not clear up after them self's. Even in normal times some people found it such hard work returning dumbells and other equipment back on the racks."

Yeah true. But it's a bit... And this is why we can't have nice things.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Some, or even most, will wipe down the equipment, but they won’t wipe down things like weight discs or the ends of the dumbells, can’t wipe down ropes, ends of mats and other bits.

And possibly most gym goers may be more a symptomatic than the average, leading to more unaware spreading.

I won’t be going back into the gym for a long time yet.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Some, or even most, will wipe down the equipment, but they won’t wipe down things like weight discs or the ends of the dumbells, can’t wipe down ropes, ends of mats and other bits.

And possibly most gym goers may be more a symptomatic than the average, leading to more unaware spreading.

I won’t be going back into the gym for a long time yet. "

That's why I'm wearing a mask. Only reason I'd dare take the risk.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

We arent asked to wear masks. We do have our temp checked. 1 gym I use gives you a bottle of disinfectant and a cloth as you go in, and you are expected to use it. The other gym, you are given a cloth and there are bottles at every machine, again you are expected to use it. Both gyms, the staff and other customers are very good at policing it.

over a year ago

"Is anyone back at the gym? What is the policy on masks? I'm tempted to get a membership as the rain is putting me off exercising outside but I don't think I'll be able to work out while wearing a mask

But as of now you can workout without a mask.

My usual gym up in Newcastle masks are not required.

But as I working away from home at the moment I have joined a pure gym in london.

I received an email on Thursday saying that I have to wear one from tomorrow.

Thats for entering the gym and movement around the gym but not for when you are exercising.

"

Ah okay, pure gym is the one I'm thinking of joining

over a year ago

"My gym were doing temperature checking+masks on entry, but that has stopped

Some members are not cleaning down stations before or after using

No masks... And some people just don't give a shit about keeping their distance

I've re-started sharing machines with my trainer, but cleaning religiously between goes "

Hmm yeah this is what worries me... Tbf I actually have a rowing machine at home, just no space to set it up lol

over a year ago

"Masks aren't required and very few are wearing them.

I do. I got some from Bloch which are lower slip and more comfortable than some others.

Not gonna lie, it sucks. It's wet and claustrophobic. And makes the maskne worse.

But given the rates in my area it's the only way I can justify using the gym, which is part of my mental health management."

I already struggle doing things like shopping with a mask on, I just get so hot! Wouldn't want to imagine what it's like exercising with one on

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Masks aren't required and very few are wearing them.

But given the rates in my area it's the only way I can justify using the gym, which is part of my mental health management.

I already struggle doing things like shopping with a mask on, I just get so hot! Wouldn't want to imagine what it's like exercising with one on "

I get it. It does suck.

The rules don't require masks (except where individual gyms have more stringent requirements).

By *oolkoupleCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire

No masks needed at my gym (independent). Cleaning items provided and used by everyone.

over a year ago

"No masks needed at my gym (independent). Cleaning items provided and used by everyone."

That's the same as the one I use at home .

Plus temperature taken on entry.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

No face coverings required to work out in the gym or classes here, but in theory should be worn to enter the building and walk the couple of dozen steps to the gym. Obviously if anyone is watching their children swim, coverings are required.

There are bottles of disinfectant/sanitiser everywhere with industrial blue/green/white roll (the sort of stuff normally in wall dispensers). Might be the age range when I go in, but plenty of cleaning going on with users religiously cleaning down before & after use

All the changing/showers are still closed though.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Some gyms have stopped people spotting for a mate, when lifting weights.

If you are training in close proximity to someone else not from your household, then you need to mask up if not using the machine.

You are asked to clean the machines after you use them, I have seen some clean them before use as well.

This is from a large gym chain as well.

over a year ago

At my gym, no masks, temp check on entry and given a cloth and disinfectant to wipe down equipment, we are all spaced out in boxes and no spotting for each other, being done really well

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

I use two gyms. One is really strict and then there is the other which is a pure gym and chaos with No real rules being followed

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I thought from today, it was made illegal not to wear a mask in the gym. The only time you take it off is when you are exercising.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Some gyms have stopped people spotting for a mate, when lifting weights.

If you are training in close proximity to someone else not from your household, then you need to mask up if not using the machine.

You are asked to clean the machines after you use them, I have seen some clean them before use as well.

This is from a large gym chain as well."

Well, that'd stop me training then. I can only train with help because I can't manoeuvre the 20kg bar from the storage place to the rack, nor cart enough weights to add to it, by wheelchair, yet when arranged on the incline bench, I can lift it. I have my PT doing the getting out/putting away and yes, spotting for me too. I'd hope there was exemption for disabled customers, but my experience so far in this pandemic is that no-one gives a flying fig about disabled people and in fact it gives convenient excuses to stop having to do annoying things, like provide fair access to disabled people

over a year ago

Masks are worn at my gym in communal areas. There are wipes and anti bac spray everywhere to clean equipment after use, the capacity is smaller and not 24 hour at the moment. Feels very safe

By *arney MagrewMan
over a year ago

Taplow

As said masks in the communal or circulation areas. Plenty of sanitizer for hands and for cleaning the equipment. My gym has been quiet so it feels very safe.

over a year ago

Just went into a puregym in London after getting a email on Friday saying we should wear masks when entering and movement around the gym.

I entered not one person had a mask on so mine went in my pocket.

What they were good at was making sure that everyone cleaned and re racked weights.

Plenty of cleaning stations too.

Cant wait to be back home and at the independent gym I train in back up in Newcastle

No masks but everything is constantly spotless.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Well, that'd stop me training then. I can only train with help because I can't manoeuvre the 20kg bar from the storage place to the rack, nor cart enough weights to add to it, by wheelchair, yet when arranged on the incline bench, I can lift it. I have my PT doing the getting out/putting away and yes, spotting for me too. I'd hope there was exemption for disabled customers, but my experience so far in this pandemic is that no-one gives a flying fig about disabled people and in fact it gives convenient excuses to stop having to do annoying things, like provide fair access to disabled people "

Depends on the gym, some will allow someone to help you with a mask on, others won't.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Well, that'd stop me training then. I can only train with help because I can't manoeuvre the 20kg bar from the storage place to the rack, nor cart enough weights to add to it, by wheelchair, yet when arranged on the incline bench, I can lift it. I have my PT doing the getting out/putting away and yes, spotting for me too. I'd hope there was exemption for disabled customers, but my experience so far in this pandemic is that no-one gives a flying fig about disabled people and in fact it gives convenient excuses to stop having to do annoying things, like provide fair access to disabled people

Depends on the gym, some will allow someone to help you with a mask on, others won't. "

Our gym is fine with my PT helping me, so that's fine. I'm just absolutely sick and tired of the already inaccessible and disabled unfriendly world becoming even more unfriendly right now. Some places are using Covid as an excuse to avoid their legal obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and its tiresome having to keep raising issues with supermarkets, hospitals and other places where you'd expect access to be easily granted to all.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Well, that'd stop me training then. I can only train with help because I can't manoeuvre the 20kg bar from the storage place to the rack, nor cart enough weights to add to it, by wheelchair, yet when arranged on the incline bench, I can lift it. I have my PT doing the getting out/putting away and yes, spotting for me too. I'd hope there was exemption for disabled customers, but my experience so far in this pandemic is that no-one gives a flying fig about disabled people and in fact it gives convenient excuses to stop having to do annoying things, like provide fair access to disabled people "

I'm sorry.

Post new Message to Thread