Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Faith groups' singing studied for coronavirus risk

Jump to newest

By *alandNita OP   Couple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Read this interesting article on BBC News earlier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54390549

Scientists are to carry out detailed experiments to investigate the role of singing in spreading the virus. The study will also look at the efficiency of different types of masks & face coverings.

Cal

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Read this interesting article on BBC News earlier.

Scientists are to carry out detailed experiments to investigate the role of singing in spreading the virus. The study will also look at the efficiency of different types of masks & face coverings.

Cal"

I hope the data is interpreted and used wisely

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Here's to sucking the joy out of life.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Cal"

So called scientists should not be wasteing there time.It is obvious that singing can spread the virus any fool can work that one out

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

CalSo called scientists should not be wasteing there time.It is obvious that singing can spread the virus any fool can work that one out"

It would be hard to try to influence control of faith groups singing without evidence. I've not read this link posted by Cali, so I'm ignorant of the specifics. It may be to study what has already happened.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"So called scientists should not be wasteing there time.It is obvious that singing can spread the virus any fool can work that one out"

But they are looking to see how far the virus can spread with singing and if it spreads wider than someone talking. Or if volume makes a difference. If humming can spread the virus. Do you know the answer to all these questions ?

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Cal"

Wasn't there a study published a few months ago regarding singing and transmission ?

over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Here's to sucking the joy out of life. "

It seems like a great way to study in detail how far the moisture droplets in singers breath is projected, and how variables such as volume effect that projection. It is also a really good opportunity to analyse the effectiveness of masks and present real evidence. The scientific team involved are using super high speed cameras and lasers to capture images of the singers breath.

Personally I find it really interesting... and acquiring new knowledge brings me great joy.

Cal

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"So called scientists should not be wasteing there time.It is obvious that singing can spread the virus any fool can work that one out

But they are looking to see how far the virus can spread with singing and if it spreads wider than someone talking. Or if volume makes a difference. If humming can spread the virus. Do you know the answer to all these questions ? "

Type of song being sung, Annunciation of specific words, skill of the singer (breathing strength and control of diaphragm)...

Some more questions, thoughts

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So called scientists should not be wasteing there time.It is obvious that singing can spread the virus any fool can work that one out

But they are looking to see how far the virus can spread with singing and if it spreads wider than someone talking. Or if volume makes a difference. If humming can spread the virus. Do you know the answer to all these questions ? "

No ..but you hum it and I'll sing it

over a year ago

But they are looking to see how far the virus can spread with singing and if it spreads wider than someone talking. Or if volume makes a difference. If humming can spread the virus. Do you know the answer to all these questions ?

No ..but you hum it and I'll sing it "

Do you know 'the piano is on my foot'?

over a year ago

Do you know 'the piano is on my foot'? "

That's where I got it from ffs

over a year ago

That's where I got it from ffs "

I know ffs

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

I hope they publish a list of all time great songs that are less likely / more to spread the Virus.

I have a few that make me ill already lol.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

I love the irony that someone used the words 'faith groups' and 'evidence' in the same sentence

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

That's where I got it from ffs

I know ffs "

It's the taste!

&

We'll have a cuppa tea now: Right said Fred

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I love the irony that someone used the words 'faith groups' and 'evidence' in the same sentence "

I think the researchers chose faith groups as lots of places of worship have choirs. The scientific research is not looking at if God exists.

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"

I think the researchers chose faith groups as lots of places of worship have choirs. The scientific research is not looking at if God exists. "

Would be quite funny if a researcher found him under a dusty old hymnbook though.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

Would be quite funny if a researcher found him under a dusty old hymnbook though. "

The congregation would be asking the cleaner why she hadn't found him !

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

"

Would be quite funny if a researcher found him under a dusty old hymnbook though.

The congregation would be asking the cleaner why she hadn't found him !"

lol

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

"Here's to sucking the joy out of life.

It seems like a great way to study in detail how far the moisture droplets in singers breath is projected, and how variables such as volume effect that projection. It is also a really good opportunity to analyse the effectiveness of masks and present real evidence. The scientific team involved are using super high speed cameras and lasers to capture images of the singers breath.

Personally I find it really interesting... and acquiring new knowledge brings me great joy.

Cal"

It's not the research that concerns me, it's the aftermath.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Cal"

Exactly this

Unless I'm mistaken

We have a vague knowledge that the virus is spread:

Via droplets

And touch

However the mechanisms and numbers that interact and actually cause or indeed negate an infection or whether the circumstances where caught affect the severity

I will most very sadly agree

Good data is possible however that when dealing with a complex system (possibly chaos) and human emotion its interpretation or misinterpretation could be counterproductive

But the need for study is immense

Personally I think the students should be used for study

Let them stay let them inter infect

Keep them majoritivly away from vulnerables

And study a potential closed ish system

I'm a huge advocate of lockdown as a strong control against deaths

However they work so well that objective scientific data is hard to produce

Taking morality aside for a moment allowing a group to intermingle hopefully whilst everyone else plays by the rules may , might, plausiblely give us some more precise transmission data . Would be nice to actually know if the virus powers on exponentially or naturally flattens it's own curve with immunity blocks and if so when

over a year ago

Cal"

They've done a few studies like this. Theatre/ actors and singers. Also a gig with a few thousand people to investigate how breath droplets spread.

I think it's brilliant. Hope they find ways we can get back to 'normal'

over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

-----

It's not the research that concerns me, it's the aftermath."

Do you mean a better understanding of the projection of droplets in exhaled breath during singing and an propper assessment of how well different types of face covering work?

Cal

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Cal

-----

It's not the research that concerns me, it's the aftermath.

Do you mean a better understanding of the projection of droplets in exhaled breath during singing and an propper assessment of how well different types of face covering work?

Cal "

No I don't mean that at all.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Corrajelo,Spain, Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

And the media will make out of the results what they want to.

More crap will be fed to us not doubt.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Cal

Wasn't there a study published a few months ago regarding singing and transmission ?"

I believe there was a study done in Germany or Austria, but to draw firm conclusions, we need to repeat the observations and acquire the same answers. That's how a hypothesis moves into accepted theory. Whether it's faith groups, opera singers, R&B artists or the nursery school nativity play, it all adds to the body of evidence.

Post new Message to Thread