Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Take your pick

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

BBC story today(I use the word deliberately).. "there is more evidence the increase in coronavirus case infections is slowing down"

Sky news story today "the R number, the rate at which the coronavirus infections are spreading increases from 1.2 to 1.5 range to 1.3 to 1.6 range"

So both our main TV media news sources take the same facts...and tell us diametrically opposite stories upon them.

Got to be careful what news you look at folks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Often the same source has contradictory stories on the same day.

It's getting better!

It's getting worse!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd be wary of going anywhere near sky, for fear of my own health and safety.

I'd loom at the data itself. And query interpretations, hoping that they have stated that that's what they are.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I'd be wary of going anywhere near sky, for fear of my own health and safety.

I'd loom at the data itself. And query interpretations, hoping that they have stated that that's what they are. "

Look, not 'loom', I'm not producing garments.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"BBC story today(I use the word deliberately).. "there is more evidence the increase in coronavirus case infections is slowing down"

Sky news story today "the R number, the rate at which the coronavirus infections are spreading increases from 1.2 to 1.5 range to 1.3 to 1.6 range"

So both our main TV media news sources take the same facts...and tell us diametrically opposite stories upon them.

Got to be careful what news you look at folks. "

Look at the worldometer figures especially the rolling averages and draw your own conclusions

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

It might be that the RATE of increase is going down. Rate being a measure of something (in this case coronavirus positive tests) over time. Trouble is, a lot of people, including media types, don't understand the nuances of statistics and data interpretation.

over a year ago

"It might be that the RATE of increase is going down. Rate being a measure of something (in this case coronavirus positive tests) over time. Trouble is, a lot of people, including media types, don't understand the nuances of statistics and data interpretation. "

I like the graph where they show the number of positive tests each day since March. With no comment on the increase in testing capacity.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

We all have brains(I hope)we need to look at the different news being sent to us and then evaluate what we believe maybe nearer the truth

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

It just comes to show how easy is to manipulate the masses. And people still believe the majority have brains to think for themselves.

over a year ago

Tin town

"It might be that the RATE of increase is going down. Rate being a measure of something (in this case coronavirus positive tests) over time. Trouble is, a lot of people, including media types, don't understand the nuances of statistics and data interpretation. "

The R number is increasing... Hence the conflict with the BBC story. If you look at the gov site it explains and shows the r rate and the growth rate.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"It just comes to show how easy is to manipulate the masses. And people still believe the majority have brains to think for themselves. "
They do have brains but do not use them due to letting internet think for them

By *ovelybumCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

"It just comes to show how easy is to manipulate the masses. And people still believe the majority have brains to think for themselves. They do have brains but do not use them due to letting internet think for them"

No hope, one way or another

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/10/20 22:47:55]

over a year ago

Yesterday imperial college estimated the current R rate to be 1.1

over a year ago

Tin town

"Yesterday imperial college estimated the current R rate to be 1.1"

Haha... Well the on the gov website it's showing 1.3 to 1.6. Wonder where they get their info and where imperial get theirs...? And why they are so significantly different... And why gov figures always cover a range

. And imperial number you quote is a discrete value

over a year ago

There are different sources for both stories. The government T rate is one calculation but as it uses a mix of data, including hospital admissions and deaths it can often be slow to pick up changes in the R rate for better or for worse. Other bodies calculate the R rate on different data, using for example the ZOE app. There is also the ONS fortnightly sample.

Today's R rate will only be more accurately once we are further on and more data is produced. The current R rate is always an estimate based on a number of sources.

over a year ago

Not T, R rate obviously. Sorry tired thumbs!

over a year ago

"Yesterday imperial college estimated the current R rate to be 1.1

Haha... Well the on the gov website it's showing 1.3 to 1.6. Wonder where they get their info and where imperial get theirs...? And why they are so significantly different... And why gov figures always cover a range

. And imperial number you quote is a discrete value "

I believe imperial base their figures on the group of around 80,000 people they regularly test.

over a year ago

Tin town

"Yesterday imperial college estimated the current R rate to be 1.1

. And imperial number you quote is a discrete value

I believe imperial base their figures on the group of around 80,000 people they regularly test."

Yes just looked at the imperial website. It's from their React program. Very interesting information. Thing is their data was up to 26th Sept so its already a week out of date. But showing increased prevalence in 18 to 24 year olds and 65 and above.

Post new Message to Thread