Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

London not in lockdown

Jump to newest

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

Surely with the millions of people living so tightly together there must be a rise in cases in London? Definitely something fishy about London not being in local lockdown.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What is the infection rate? That’s what lockdown is based upon

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"Surely with the millions of people living so tightly together there must be a rise in cases in London? Definitely something fishy about London not being in local lockdown. "

Anyone who travels there often will know how busy it can get and I struggle to see how if this virus spreads so easily why London hasn't seen a larger rise in cases. When the virus first hit our shores we all saw how quickly it spread through our capital in the reports and media. Now they have some of the lowest cases per head in the country, unless everyone got it in the first wave I've thought there is something going on. Maybe something withholding test, if people can't get tested they can't be positive and added. The last thing the government would want is to start locking down the capital.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"Surely with the millions of people living so tightly together there must be a rise in cases in London? Definitely something fishy about London not being in local lockdown. "

Perhaps they learned from the first wave to wash hands, socially distance and wear a mask unlike some other areas ?

By *ountry Boy FreshMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

It could be possible millions in London have already had it.

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

All interesting points just seems it's all northern areas & a couple of Midland areas in local lockdown

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

"It could be possible millions in London have already had it."
didn't it actually start in London first time, around then spread, out all over

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Figures three weeks ago were suggesting that the levels of immunity might be between 17-20 percent in the capital..

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"It could be possible millions in London have already had it.didn't it actually start in London first time, around then spread, out all over "

I believe the first (reported) case was in North East?

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"It could be possible millions in London have already had it.didn't it actually start in London first time, around then spread, out all over

I believe the first (reported) case was in North East?"

York 29th January

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple
over a year ago

norwich

"Surely with the millions of people living so tightly together there must be a rise in cases in London? Definitely something fishy about London not being in local lockdown.

Perhaps they learned from the first wave to wash hands, socially distance and wear a mask unlike some other areas ?"

You really don't know london if you believe this.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

London’s numbers are on the rise again, we aren’t far behind you and 4-5 boroughs expecting additional measures shortly unless numbers drop again

over a year ago

I am working in central london and I can believe how quiet it is these days.

It's like a ghost town compared to pre covid.

I have noticed the lack of people wearing masks down here compared to home in Newcastle.

over a year ago

"I am working in central london and I can believe how quiet it is these days.

I have noticed the lack of people wearing masks down here compared to home in Newcastle. "

Can't believe I meant to say.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I am working in central london and I can believe how quiet it is these days.

I have noticed the lack of people wearing masks down here compared to home in Newcastle. "

That’s because a lot of businesses are closed / working from home. My friends and other people I know have already been told we don’t expect to see you back in the office until March at the earliest

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"It could be possible millions in London have already had it.didn't it actually start in London first time, around then spread, out all over

York 29th January "

Sure dozens of fabbers had it last Christmas

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Not sure where I read it but I'm sure it said London was on the verge of having extra restrictions.

over a year ago

the London question is very interesting... it was bad early on.. but the area is so packed full of people I don't get why it seems immune now

d

over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 01/10/20 21:11:28]

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Not sure where I read it but I'm sure it said London was on the verge of having extra restrictions. "

There are 4/5 boroughs on that verge yes and I wouldn’t be surprised if neighbouring boroughs get added as well, for practical purposes

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Does anyone think that a government based in London are going to lock down London, come on people however bad the numbers get they will say that it isn't 'bad enough'.

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

York 29th January

Sure dozens of fabbers had it last Christmas"

Yes I think do too which is why I said reported

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Does anyone think that a government based in London are going to lock down London, come on people however bad the numbers get they will say that it isn't 'bad enough'.

"

Here's two things your not considering, the population density and ethnicity of london. Both of these are significant when looking at how dangerous covid is.

over a year ago

this is why i find it odd that their r level is not worse

over a year ago

On a mooch

As someone who lives here I can only put across what I think based on my experiences and my friends who live here.

Firstly most people aren’t travelling to work; we don’t live close to family or friends so don’t have that social network to interact with; most of us (meaning the people I talk to) haven’t left their local area and go out once or twice a week to the supermarket; other than that we are in our boxes as most live in apartments

I’m surprised by the figures but the last three weeks they have risen significantly and many are on the verge of stricter measures

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"Surely with the millions of people living so tightly together there must be a rise in cases in London? Definitely something fishy about London not being in local lockdown.

Perhaps they learned from the first wave to wash hands, socially distance and wear a mask unlike some other areas ?"

By *ove2lickJemWoman
over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

"What is the infection rate? That’s what lockdown is based upon "

Supposedly so, but in Liverpool we only went today with 268, after the north east which was lagging behind us so we should obviously have been before there. Weirdest of all, Burnley still isn't when it's the worst in the country at 328 so yet again it's illogical....

over a year ago

On a mooch

We have 4/5 boroughs that have tipped into just over 50/100,000 the others are between 24-46 / 100,000 or less

By *limmatureguyMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

London was hit quite badly in March and probably has areas where herd immunity has developed. The rest of the country is now catching up.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

There's nothing fishy about it.

The only reason for the lockdown was to take the pressure off the NHS. The hospitals here are nowhere near capacity and the rate is not increasing dramatically.

No need to panic.

over a year ago

"Not sure where I read it but I'm sure it said London was on the verge of having extra restrictions. "

A couple of boroughs are....

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Hasn't the Mayor been pushing for some London areas to be put in to lockdown?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"Hasn't the Mayor been pushing for some London areas to be put in to lockdown? "

He has. Thankfully not many people pay attention to him anymore.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Hasn't the Mayor been pushing for some London areas to be put in to lockdown? "

Yes a week ago he gave an interview saying he’d asked the PM to make visits to houses part of London’s restrictions.

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"What is the infection rate? That’s what lockdown is based upon "

If you add you all the cases for the London boroughs it a lot more than Liverpool all County Durham for example

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"What is the infection rate? That’s what lockdown is based upon

If you add you all the cases for the London boroughs it a lot more than Liverpool all County Durham for example"

Is that dividing the population number of the places you refer to?

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

If you add you all the cases for the London boroughs it a lot more than Liverpool all County Durham for example

Is that dividing the population number of the places you refer to?"

If you look at Coronavirus UK: Track the cases where you live it's strange that that have added all the case numbers up for the whole of Lancashire (except Blackpool) giving them 11063 but London is broken down into smaller boroughs.

over a year ago

On a mooch

If you look at Coronavirus UK: Track the cases where you live it's strange that that have added all the case numbers up for the whole of Lancashire (except Blackpool) giving them 11063 but London is broken down into smaller boroughs. "

The bbc tracker now has the areas broken down by council districts. Example Norfolk used to be entity it is now spilt into its districts.

Some London boroughs population is as large as some towns. Even if they merged all the London boroughs I think you’ll find the infection rate per 100,000 would likely still be under 50/100,000

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

If you look at Coronavirus UK: Track the cases where you live it's strange that that have added all the case numbers up for the whole of Lancashire (except Blackpool) giving them 11063 but London is broken down into smaller boroughs.

The bbc tracker now has the areas broken down by council districts. Example Norfolk used to be entity it is now spilt into its districts.

Some London boroughs population is as large as some towns. Even if they merged all the London boroughs I think you’ll find the infection rate per 100,000 would likely still be under 50/100,000 "

Found the BBC page eventually. That does make more sense statistically than cases per area. Just need to believe the BBC now!!!

over a year ago

On a mooch

Some London boroughs population is as large as some towns. Even if they merged all the London boroughs I think you’ll find the infection rate per 100,000 would likely still be under 50/100,000

Found the BBC page eventually. That does make more sense statistically than cases per area. Just need to believe the BBC now!!!"

I didn’t know if I could add a link, glad you found it.

As for the numbers, they seem to be matching what our local council site says but who knows where their figures come from.... have to believe some of them

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

Found the BBC page eventually. That does make more sense statistically than cases per area. Just need to believe the BBC now!!!

I didn’t know if I could add a link, glad you found it.

As for the numbers, they seem to be matching what our local council site says but who knows where their figures come from.... have to believe some of them "

Anything that's coming from the government currently, so therefore what the BBC is saying with a pinch of salt!!

over a year ago

It's comparatively low (bar a few boroughs) because most are working from home so they are not using the tube or trains every day to commute.

Not only that, but most are opting for local bars, cafes, and shops rather than travelling into central London.

Local town centres are still busy, which is why some boroughs (such as Brent) have seen higher infection numbers.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

It's unbelievable that remote countryside locations are in lockdown and major cities aren't. It just makes no sense, at all.

over a year ago

The current places most being hit hard are the urban areas that weren't badly hit the first time round, London South East and Birmingham are all low after a heavy hit in the first wave which common sense would tell you they've started to receive some herd immunity levels or at least enough to stop fast and large scale spread.

It's one of the reasons Sweden were content to see large scale spread in the summer to keep virus numbers escalating in the winter when it's the worse time to get it.

By *ackandtheunicornCouple
over a year ago

liverpool

Lockdown isnt based on infection rates. Its decided by an unknown method that strangely favours wealthy areas. Much like the recent exams results fiasco.

See here sorry the article is behind a paywall but you can get the just.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-coronavirus-lockdown-for-top-tory-constituencies-rqtkhxm8s

over a year ago

herd immunity must be attained at some point.. a lot of people think that's why schools and unis went back. there might be something in the fact the places hit hardest the first time are not so bad this time

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

York 29th January "

one or two people Involved I believe he/they were chinese if my memory serves me right.

over a year ago

York 29th January one or two people Involved I believe he/they were chinese if my memory serves me right."

2 Chinese students and York is in Yorkshire.

Not the north east.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"Does anyone think that a government based in London are going to lock down London, come on people however bad the numbers get they will say that it isn't 'bad enough'.

"

Might be government based but surely they take their advice from the scientific advisors not ministers.

over a year ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1343507/London-lockdown-update-mixing-households-ban-tower-hamlets-covid-cases/amp

London is reacting to Covid data the same as the rest of the country. If it needs to, further restrictions in London will follow .

over a year ago

"Lockdown isnt based on infection rates. Its decided by an unknown method that strangely favours wealthy areas. Much like the recent exams results fiasco.

See here sorry the article is behind a paywall but you can get the just.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-coronavirus-lockdown-for-top-tory-constituencies-rqtkhxm8s"

Most of London isn't wealthy...

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

York 29th January one or two people Involved I believe he/they were chinese if my memory serves me right.

2 Chinese students and York is in Yorkshire.

Not the north east."

Of course York is in the North East it's not the North West!!

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

Might be government based but surely they take their advice from the scientific advisors not ministers."

Lo I think their so called "scientific advisors" don't have a clue!

By *xelf787 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chorlton, Manchester

"herd immunity must be attained at some point.. a lot of people think that's why schools and unis went back. there might be something in the fact the places hit hardest the first time are not so bad this time "

Exactly and by imposing lockdowns and if they go for second national lockdown they will only delay it.

Post new Message to Thread