Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Would you pay more?

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Would you pay more to do business with an organisation that paid their staff in full, when they need to isolate? Statutory Sick Pay is now payable from the first day but obviously is not the income level that people rely on for rent, food, energy etc. We know that poorer members of society pay more for energy, due to prepayment meters and they have to pay it upfront, which means you have to have income. With winter coming, people needing to isolate for the benefit of all, should get guaranteed income that's equivalent to their relied on pay.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ountry Boy FreshMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Possibly but it depends what you class as more I wouldn't pay a fiver for a loaf of bread.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

An interesting question with many things to take in to consideration.

I think on balance that yes, I would pay more. I would want to see that I was paying a fair and proportionate amount more though and that govt was contributing too. The biggest flaw I can see is that lower income people would also be paying more.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Possibly but it depends what you class as more I wouldn't pay a fiver for a loaf of bread. "

£10 plus virus surcharge

It was a hypothetical question, as companies don't have to charge more. I'd more willingly buy from a business that I knew was doing this, than if owned or run by some egotistical gobshite who didn't and was proud of proclaiming it.

Ethical sourcing.

By *ountry Boy FreshMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Possibly but it depends what you class as more I wouldn't pay a fiver for a loaf of bread.

£10 plus virus surcharge

It was a hypothetical question, as companies don't have to charge more. I'd more willingly buy from a business that I knew was doing this, than if owned or run by some egotistical gobshite who didn't and was proud of proclaiming it.

Ethical sourcing. "

We have that for environmental issues now I don't see any problem in paying a little extra though some companies see the "ethical" tag as an excuse to up profits and prices above what the cost of things are.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"Would you pay more to do business with an organisation that paid their staff in full, when they need to isolate? Statutory Sick Pay is now payable from the first day but obviously is not the income level that people rely on for rent, food, energy etc. We know that poorer members of society pay more for energy, due to prepayment meters and they have to pay it upfront, which means you have to have income. With winter coming, people needing to isolate for the benefit of all, should get guaranteed income that's equivalent to their relied on pay.

"

The cynic in me would think that because the company is able to pay full salary it was making to much profit and I should shop around.

If they openly suggested increasing prices for a limited time by 10% and were historically competitive then maybe.

Short answer, probably not.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Some firms are in dire straights and they wouldn't be able to afford to pay full wages to everyone who self isolates. We have to be mindful that business's are not blacklisted for something they can't o

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

do*

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Some firms are in dire straights and they wouldn't be able to afford to pay full wages to everyone who self isolates. We have to be mindful that business's are not blacklisted for something they can't o"

It's very true, it's such a dire picture around much of the business community.

I'd prefer the government to repay organisations for their payments to employees and, presumably, many of them have already got channels for furlough money claims.

I'd be drawn to businesses that said they'd do this, especially if it came from Directors' bonuses and price differentials were 1% or 2%, perhaps 10% max.

Didn't some businesses used to proclaim that they were paying their staff this way? I'm sure I've seen it.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’d like to think that ethically I, and most people, perhaps would if it wasn’t a huge amount more. I’ve definitely changed my opinion on a few business's from how they have dealt with their customers throughout this turbulent period.

I called an airline today that I’ve been extremely loyal & a huge fan of for many years to request refunds instead of vouchers for about 30 flights today as part of a large group trip I had organized that isn’t going ahead now. The guy on the phone asked me if I would prefer vouchers instead of cash refunds. And I told him that due to the way the company has treated us with regards refunds through this year for other flights I shall be re booking with a different airline whom I’ve had a much better refund experience from. I’m sure many people will be the same that their spending habits & attitudes towards certain companies will have been changed because of their experiences. In both ways

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

We've carried on paying our weekly cleaners when lockdown came in on 23rd March. We figured they'd be the hardest hit due to lockdown, and wanted to help as much as we could. We still pay to this day. They have restarted their rounds recently, but we are trying to avoid contact with others as much as possible, so we pay them not to clean.

Life's little ironies, eh ?

By *ent in BlackMan
over a year ago

Silsden

"Would you pay more to do business with an organisation that paid their staff in full, when they need to isolate? Statutory Sick Pay is now payable from the first day but obviously is not the income level that people rely on for rent, food, energy etc. We know that poorer members of society pay more for energy, due to prepayment meters and they have to pay it upfront, which means you have to have income. With winter coming, people needing to isolate for the benefit of all, should get guaranteed income that's equivalent to their relied on pay.

"

It’s a tough one, but I probably would. The thing that’s upset me is that I’ve seen (only in the media I admit) some share holders still demanding multi million pay outs on dividends of large companies. Money that could pay staff.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

It’s a tough one, but I probably would. The thing that’s upset me is that I’ve seen (only in the media I admit) some share holders still demanding multi million pay outs on dividends of large companies. Money that could pay staff."

For some dividends pay their pension income

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

I think lots of people will say they will pay more.

When it comes to opening their wallet, different story.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I think lots of people will say they will pay more.

When it comes to opening their wallet, different story. "

Income-wise, some of us don't have the luxury of choice.

By *moothGrooveWoman
over a year ago

Durham

And when these companies were making tidy profits, did they pass a percentage of their profit on as a discount to customers?

Probably a very unpopular opinion but, in these times of uncertainty from a financial perspective its every man for himself. I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for goods or services when our own income source isn't guaranteed to weather the storm.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Impossible to answer as do I trust companies they make all sorts of excuses for bad service allready

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"And when these companies were making tidy profits, did they pass a percentage of their profit on as a discount to customers?

Probably a very unpopular opinion but, in these times of uncertainty from a financial perspective its every man for himself. I certainly wouldn't be paying a premium for goods or services when our own income source isn't guaranteed to weather the storm. "

I'd hope that we didn't have to pay more but would err on paying a little bit extra, if I trusted all staff would be encouraged to stay home, on full pay, to keep customers, staff and the business healthy.

Anyone recall any organisations emohasising that they are doing this?

Post new Message to Thread