Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Summary dismissal

Jump to newest

By *eddy and legs OP   Couple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Should anyone found at work who has tested positive or refused to isolate when asked be instantly dismissed ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *evilandTheBeastCouple
over a year ago

Peterborough and Bedford

Maybe not dismissed instantly but it should definitely be a disciplinary offence to come to work when you should be self-isolating. At my workplace (Devil here), we can only come back once we get negative Covid test.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

if there were things in place to support that person and their family eg full pay, help to get shopping delivered etc. I think there would be a case for it yes. Otherwise no. There are thousands of people who simply couldn't survive without a wage and I don't know what they're expected to do

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

With the multitude of false positive results? A little over the top don't you think?

over a year ago

It's not quite a black and white issue as I think some of it would depend on your terms of employment. With where I work, it would almost certainly be grounds for gross misconduct which can lead to instant dismissal.

over a year ago

I bet there plenty of bosses that would try to get you to go into work...I know of one.

over a year ago

"I bet there plenty of bosses that would try to get you to go into work...I know of one."

My company would try to get you to go in.

I am working away from home down London.

Sharing a twin room with a workmates.

I am not happy about.

But can't afford not to.

over a year ago

"I bet there plenty of bosses that would try to get you to go into work...I know of one.

I am not happy about.

But can't afford not to."

A workmate even

over a year ago

"I bet there plenty of bosses that would try to get you to go into work...I know of one.

I am not happy about.

But can't afford not to."

That's it they have by the balls...but I hope they fetch in bloody heftier fines for them twats then they are giving the average Joe who's balls they hold

over a year ago

I am not happy about.

But can't afford not to.

That's it they have by the balls...but I hope they fetch in bloody heftier fines for them twats then they are giving the average Joe who's balls they hold"

Agreed.

over a year ago

Just got a negative result but still have to isolate for 14 days according to NHS

over a year ago

"Just got a negative result but still have to isolate for 14 days according to NHS"

Why?

over a year ago

I am fortunate enough that if I have to self isolate I get full pay

Anyone who doesn't, I would not judge them in the slightest for going into work. If the government want to demand people stay off work, then they need to be prepared to pay that person their full wages. Otherwise they're just taking the piss out of people, as usual.

over a year ago

"I am fortunate enough that if I have to self isolate I get full pay

Anyone who doesn't, I would not judge them in the slightest for going into work. If the government want to demand people stay off work, then they need to be prepared to pay that person their full wages. Otherwise they're just taking the piss out of people, as usual. "

It would probably work out cheaper in the long run.

over a year ago

Anyone who doesn't, I would not judge them in the slightest for going into work. If the government want to demand people stay off work, then they need to be prepared to pay that person their full wages. Otherwise they're just taking the piss out of people, as usual.

It would probably work out cheaper in the long run."

It's the only way people will comply

If it were a choice between staying off for 14 days on fuck all money or at best, SSP

Or going into work to pay my mortgage, bills and feed my kids, I know what I'd choose

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

If and only if the company new and had evidence the person was positive and I don't know how they would find out.

Yes it would the breach duty of of care.

THE HSE is clear you have a duty of care for you and others in the work place. And if you put them at risk in any deliberate way that would breach HSE so you could be disciplined.

over a year ago

"Just got a negative result but still have to isolate for 14 days according to NHS

Why? "

might have been a false negative they say - its the new rules for testing

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

I’m fortunate enough to know it’s a good idea to sit on a financial cushion of at least a couple of months outgoings.. it’s not an easy cushion to build and maintain but it can be done. I feel for those who genuinely live hand to mouth through little fault of their own. Those who have negative bank balances at the end of every month but have wardrobes of new clothes, have sky, a new car on HP, land on a diet of takeaways, cigs and alcohol.. the term for those is fuckwits

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Just got a negative result but still have to isolate for 14 days according to NHS

Why?

might have been a false negative they say - its the new rules for testing"

I got a test on Sunday as I had been in contact with my daughter who had tested positive. I don't live with her. My test was negative. No one has told me I need to isolate for 14 days.

What is the point of testing if you have to isolate for 14 days after a negative result ?

over a year ago

Why?

I got a test on Sunday as I had been in contact with my daughter who had tested positive. I don't live with her. My test was negative. No one has told me I need to isolate for 14 days.

What is the point of testing if you have to isolate for 14 days after a negative result ? "

How long was your test from your last contact with your daughter, since her positive test?

I'm no expert by the way...just a curious bugger

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

Why?

What is the point of testing if you have to isolate for 14 days after a negative result ? "

Friend on mine similar but lives with his positive tested daughter so he has 14day now despite negative test. He remains in contact with her so the isolation reason is obvious. How many days between last contact with your daughter and your test? I believe it can be several days after picking up the virus before the test is likely to detect it hence one negative result is not enough

over a year ago

"if there were things in place to support that person and their family eg full pay, help to get shopping delivered etc. I think there would be a case for it yes. Otherwise no. There are thousands of people who simply couldn't survive without a wage and I don't know what they're expected to do "

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I saw my daughter once socially distanced. Then 12 days later she tested positive. My test was 14 days since I have last seen her. I have had no symptoms.

over a year ago

"I saw my daughter once socially distanced. Then 12 days later she tested positive. My test was 14 days since I have last seen her. I have had no symptoms. "

Well I'd say in my non-expert opinion your well in the clear

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Yes I agree if you live with someone tested positive you must quarantine for 14 days which is what her partner is doing. He was told there is no need for him to have a test unless he shows symptoms.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

Well I'd say in my non-expert opinion your well in the clear "

Whoop whoop !

over a year ago

Why?

might have been a false negative they say - its the new rules for testing"

So you test positive you isolate for 14 days, test negative you isolate for 14 days

What's the point of fucking testing then

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

So you test positive you isolate for 14 days, test negative you isolate for 14 days

What's the point of fucking testing then "

If you test positive you only isolate for ten days

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"if there were things in place to support that person and their family eg full pay, help to get shopping delivered etc. I think there would be a case for it yes. Otherwise no. There are thousands of people who simply couldn't survive without a wage and I don't know what they're expected to do "

Exactly. I live alone and if I'm not at work I don't eat, let alone pay the mortgage

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We've been told if we've been advised to self isolate by NHS track and trace and don't it will be seen as gross misconduct. We'd get ssp if we had to.

over a year ago

the wetlands

"if there were things in place to support that person and their family eg full pay, help to get shopping delivered etc. I think there would be a case for it yes. Otherwise no. There are thousands of people who simply couldn't survive without a wage and I don't know what they're expected to do

Exactly. I live alone and if I'm not at work I don't eat, let alone pay the mortgage "

People make excuses for d*unk driving as well, both can kill innocent people.

over a year ago

"if there were things in place to support that person and their family eg full pay, help to get shopping delivered etc. I think there would be a case for it yes. Otherwise no. There are thousands of people who simply couldn't survive without a wage and I don't know what they're expected to do

Exactly. I live alone and if I'm not at work I don't eat, let alone pay the mortgage

People make excuses for d*unk driving as well, both can kill innocent people."

What ???????

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

could have sworn the original question was about working with someone who has tested positive and was ignoring the isolate rules rather than someone that your worker knew/lived with who had tested positive but your colleague was then tested negative.

if you test positive and know you are and then come to work with me then you and i have a serious problem...

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"With the multitude of false positive results? A little over the top don't you think? "

Plus seems most are strangely asymptomatic...

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"Should anyone found at work who has tested positive or refused to isolate when asked be instantly dismissed ?"
Depends on many factors but must be suspended from work for 14 days no pay surely

By *inx n SatanCouple
over a year ago

Preston

No you can be fined for not self isolating upto 10k

over a year ago

It would probably work out cheaper in the long run."

We've spent nearly 300 billion in six months on bollocks, that's 3 years NHS budget, the biggest budget the UK has,I was personally messaged by some halfwit about delayed gratification on keeping Corona positive tests low, I swear he doesn't get what he's even writing

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I am not happy about.

But can't afford not to.

That's it they have by the balls...but I hope they fetch in bloody heftier fines for them twats then they are giving the average Joe who's balls they hold"

In the isle of man someone was put in prison for not self isolating, they went to the shop on the way home.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Should anyone found at work who has tested positive or refused to isolate when asked be instantly dismissed ?"

In this country not everyone had access to adequate sick pay and some people are penalised or eface disciplinary action for being off sick.

This has been an issue prior to Covid. People who are obviously sick come in to work as they don't want to get into trouble, or not get paid, for being off.

I don't condone that, but I can understand why people do it.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"Should anyone found at work who has tested positive or refused to isolate when asked be instantly dismissed ?

In this country not everyone had access to adequate sick pay and some people are penalised or eface disciplinary action for being off sick.

This has been an issue prior to Covid. People who are obviously sick come in to work as they don't want to get into trouble, or not get paid, for being off.

"

The difficult is if everyone was entitled to sick pay that equalled full income, there is a sector of society that would treat it as extra annual leave!

over a year ago

"Should anyone found at work who has tested positive or refused to isolate when asked be instantly dismissed ?

The difficult is if everyone was entitled to sick pay that equalled full income, there is a sector of society that would treat it as extra annual leave! "

It's still the cheaper option

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't know much about employment law, so can't guide you. But it does seem harsh and I think that disciplinary procedures have to be followed, to ensure proper scrutiny and fairness. I would consult with ACAS, who publish guidelines and give phone support, I believe. Citizens Advice may be a helpful local support too. Wishing you the best!

over a year ago

Its always been the case that you shouldn't go into work if you have been diagnosed with something Infectious and told not to go in work.

Someone I worked with 6 years ago can into work after being diagnosed with mumps, she was suspected for 3 weeks without pay.

By *ixenhixCouple
over a year ago

colchester

Strangely enough I had a case yesterday that was exactly this. The EE called into work Monday and said he had been in contact with somebody presenting Covid symtoms over the weekend so would have to isolate - Then later the same day called to say he had taken a test and it was negative so came back into work the following day.Obviously the Employer was suspicious as to how he had rceived a negative result so quickly and the EE suggested he had already purchased a DIY home kit previouly and had used that. Asked EE is he still had the test to show the negative result and he said no he had thrown it. Asked if he had the invoice for the kit at least as it was obviouly brought online - He said no he had also thrown it away. Advised that he go home - seek an NHS test to confirm negative result or he would need to isolate for the required period. AS an FYI the new legislation from March 2020 states that you receive SSP from day 1 if having to isolate rather than having to wait the usuall 3 days before it kicks in although some larger employers I know are paying if staff have to isolate.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"

My last 3 jobs were ssp only after 3 days. If I didn't work, I didn't get paid. I couldn't afford to take time off, simple as that. You can't survive on ssp either as it's a ridiculously small amount. I understand why people go into work sick, I've been there myself.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Regardless of work, it is illegal to not quarantine yourself once instructed. You could face large fines and even imprisonment.

Cal

over a year ago

I would say it would be classed as gross misconduct because of reckless endangerment, so instant dismissal would be allowed

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I would say it would be classed as gross misconduct because of reckless endangerment, so instant dismissal would be allowed"

I would expect the same.

over a year ago

the wetlands

People make excuses for d*unk driving as well, both can kill innocent people.

What ???????"

Can't you read !!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

the wetlands

"With the multitude of false positive results? A little over the top don't you think? "

Multitude of false positives hmmmm

Do you know the specificity and sensitivity of the swab tests or are you quoting Sandra on facebook?

over a year ago

"With the multitude of false positive results? A little over the top don't you think?

Multitude of false positives hmmmm

Do you know the specificity and sensitivity of the swab tests or are you quoting Sandra on facebook?"

Fron The LANCET: "The current rate of operational false-positive swab tests in the UK is unknown; preliminary estimates show it could be somewhere between 0.8% and 4.0%."

By *ountry Boy FreshMan
over a year ago

Huddersfield

No!

In reality people who have flu don't think straight and it could be the same with Covid. If an employer knows someone has it they should send them home immediately. If they don't go then call the police but sacking them is going too far.

over a year ago

the wetlands

No!

In reality people who have flu don't think straight and it could be the same with Covid. If an employer knows someone has it they should send them home immediately. If they don't go then call the police but sacking them is going too far. "

The company has no way of knowing if you have been contacted by track and trace and told to isolate, that's the problem.

Given that as many as 80% can be asymptomatic the employee is taking a conscious decision not only to break the law but to potentially cause an outbreak in their workplace which could lead to closure affecting many other people who also can't afford to live on ssp.

Should selfish people be allowed to get away with such behaviour ?

Post new Message to Thread