Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

NHS text

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Just got a text asking me to download the COVID app?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Likewise

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If the text comes with a link then my advise is to not download it as it may be a scam.

If you want to download the app do it direct from the app store or play store depending on your phone.

over a year ago

How do they know my number ?

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"If the text comes with a link then my advise is to not download it as it may be a scam.

If you want to download the app do it direct from the app store or play store depending on your phone.

"

By *spotpleasurerMan
over a year ago

Norwich

"How do they know my number ?

"

Big brother is watching you ...

I received a text back in March about the lockdown from the government. And one two days ago asking me to download the app.

By *s Fussy BiatchWoman
over a year ago

somewhere along the fylde

I keep getting one, I assume its because of putting your number on a track & trace slip. I won't be downloading the app tho

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

Drs surgery, hospital records, track and trace, covid test details...

By *asterandGenieCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

They’re being sent as bulk sms by your provider the government didn’t bother to setup a system to alert everyone.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I'd agree that it's a bulk message from the service providers. I had a message yesterday or possibly Sunday. It asks you to go to your app store to download, not follow any included links.

Phone battery isn't the best, so I rarely have Bluetooth on anyway. I've not downloaded it but I'm also not mixing with people so will review that if I change what I'm currently doing.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

I wont be downloading the app.

My o/s isnt on the new update and phones probably to old anyway to use it

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"

Millions of scam messages are sent to a mix of random computer generated numbers or scam lists that are sold around the world, every day.

Some aim to steal other information about you, perform financial fraud, download malware onto devices and more.

As others have said, whilst the text may be perfectly legitimate and from the NHS, all apps are safely downloaded from the device operating system cos, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

I got an email but no text. My gp does text me though and I had to authorise the use of my email address and phone number when I registered with my gp app

over a year ago

I got the email too, but no text.

I do believe in Big Brother though because it came to my registered email address plus one that I believed to be private

By *dores blackmenWoman
over a year ago

incognito mode ;-)

I got a text at weekend,however I had already downloaded the app before then from the app store,as you only record your first part of your postcode in the app,they don't know your mobile number or any other information,so it's just a random text,maybe from nhs I just never trust links sent

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"

They don't they just text all numbers takes a computer about 11hours to to do it's the same with spam calls. I guess your number is some where between 07500000000 and 07800000000

over a year ago

"

could be few reasons for that most likely it is a scam if you want the real version which I have then get it from you App Store there is a lot of trawling going on by some very bad people who can use it to access parts of you phone laptop etc that can really meet things up

By *ab Swingers PartiesCouple
over a year ago

SOUTH. Cambridgeshire Border.

Drs surgery, hospital records, track and trace, covid test details... "

If you are registered at your GPs for reminders of appointments/conformations or hospital etc or even chemists now for advice your prescription is ready and you have a registered mobile number you may/will get a text yes or if you have a registered email yes again email sent to you. Always go direct to NHS web app to down load not via a link enclosed in a email to try to make sure no scams xx. Nothing fool proof. xx

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

"Just got a text asking me to download the COVID app?"

Ditto.

By *ab Swingers PartiesCouple
over a year ago

SOUTH. Cambridgeshire Border.

"I got an email but no text. My gp does text me though and I had to authorise the use of my email address and phone number when I registered with my gp app "

By *eneral HysteriaMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

"If the text comes with a link then my advise is to not download it as it may be a scam.

"

Good advice

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I had a call yesterday from a blocked number and a lady called 'linda' with a very odd accent said she was from NHS track and trace, and that I had been in contact with someone who had tested positive.

When I asked who and where I was told it was confidential and that I needed to get tested and she would send me a kit at the 'reduced' price of £17.99.

Maybe I am wrong but I sense a scam.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"I had a call yesterday from a blocked number and a lady called 'linda' with a very odd accent said she was from NHS track and trace, and that I had been in contact with someone who had tested positive.

When I asked who and where I was told it was confidential and that I needed to get tested and she would send me a kit at the 'reduced' price of £17.99.

Maybe I am wrong but I sense a scam. "

Call some one like this back ask for the number they will probably just hang up

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I had a call yesterday from a blocked number and a lady called 'linda' with a very odd accent said she was from NHS track and trace, and that I had been in contact with someone who had tested positive.

Yep it's a scam. Track and trace callers ask you to go online or call to book a test.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"Just got a text asking me to download the COVID app?"
Delete it

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

Definitely a scam! I believe the NHS track and trace number is an 0300 one

By *ancs MinxWoman
over a year ago

Burnley

"I keep getting one, I assume its because of putting your number on a track & trace slip. I won't be downloading the app tho"

Just this

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

"

Yep exactly this.

over a year ago

They've also sent emails.

Must be something to do with permissions.

Just need to be sensible when clicking links.

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I’m not downloading it.......

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

The number of downloads in the first few days of the app being launched has been impressive - nearly 13 million.

By *he Ring WraithMan
over a year ago

Bradford

My phone is too old to work the App anyway, and I don't understand the tech behind it.

If it works by bluetooth, why do you have to scar QR codes everywhere surely it knows where you are and who you have been close too ?

(yes I am technologically challenged)

over a year ago

Yes it's a scam text trying to get you to download the app, don't fall for it.

By *rx1Couple
over a year ago

staying Nr Brandesburton

If you read it is it is quite simple

why are there so many conspiracy theorist on here is beyond me

All individuals over the age of 16 who are registered with a GP in England and have provided an email address to the NHS ARE RECIEVING THIS EMAIL

Some will receive a text if an email hasn't been provided.

Now if you haven't got a clue if you have given your email out to the NHS in the past or got it registered at your Doctors..

It isnt rocket science..No sorry to some of you it is.

over a year ago

I've got the app, works fine. Scanned a QR code in Costa today (shame I have to pay now to meet a mate but thats another issue).

If in doubt just go direct to the Android or Apple store and download it from there. If your doing something kinky like dogging just turn the bluetooth off.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"My phone is too old to work the App anyway, and I don't understand the tech behind it.

If it works by bluetooth, why do you have to scar QR codes everywhere surely it knows where you are and who you have been close too ?

(yes I am technologically challenged) "

Me to and do not have a smartphone.It cannot work as only about a third of people have these phones and many will not bother so a total waste of time

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Its from your phone provider.

Like the March texts.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"My phone is too old to work the App anyway, and I don't understand the tech behind it.

(yes I am technologically challenged) Me to and do not have a smartphone.It cannot work as only about a third of people have these phones and many will not bother so a total waste of time"

You need to scan a qr code because Bluetooth doesn't tell your phone or the app where you have been, just who you have been near...

Think of it a bit like a contactless debit card, you have it on you all the time, your bank can't tell you every shop you've been in, just the ones you made a purchase at, your card had to get close enough to the card reader. Bluetooth works for around 400ish meters officially but it's more like 200 and it doesn't like walls.

As for amount of phones able to use it. Nerd stats coming up...

80% of the UK population owns a smartphone. (Just over 52 million)

Of those

46.2% are using an iPhone (24million)

53.5% are using an android (27.8million)

That leaves about 20000 people with an incompatible phone

85% of android phones are running a version of android that will support the app

70% of iPhone users are running ios13.5 or higher

40million people have a compatable smartphone. So it's actually 2/3rds of the population. If every one of those downloaded it it would make a huge difference.

By *kslutncuckCouple
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I don’t think so I haven’t tracked n traced anywhere as I haven’t been anywhere and I’ve had two text to download ... but I don’t want to ... hence I only go to supermarket and outdoor activities

over a year ago

(yes I am technologically challenged) Me to and do not have a smartphone.It cannot work as only about a third of people have these phones and many will not bother so a total waste of time

You need to scan a qr code because Bluetooth doesn't tell your phone or the app where you have been, just who you have been near...

Think of it a bit like a contactless debit card, you have it on you all the time, your bank can't tell you every shop you've been in, just the ones you made a purchase at, your card had to get close enough to the card reader. Bluetooth works for around 400ish meters officially but it's more like 200 and it doesn't like walls.

As for amount of phones able to use it. Nerd stats coming up...

80% of the UK population owns a smartphone. (Just over 52 million)

Of those

46.2% are using an iPhone (24million)

53.5% are using an android (27.8million)

That leaves about 20000 people with an incompatible phone

85% of android phones are running a version of android that will support the app

70% of iPhone users are running ios13.5 or higher

40million people have a compatable smartphone. So it's actually 2/3rds of the population. If every one of those downloaded it it would make a huge difference.

"

over a year ago

I think i got the text message but i already had the app on my phone as i had downloaded it from the play store.

I want to know if iv been near someone who has tested positive, its important to try to stop the spread of covid-19. Also i am very highly vunerable and have been told by the NHS that if i develop any symptons then i am to pack a bag and go straight to hospital, i want to make sure i dont mistake early symptons for a cold and vice versa !

By *izandpaulCouple
over a year ago

merseyside

"

Probably used your providers database.

over a year ago

I got a text telling me to d/l the app. I texted back asking what will the app do with my info, what programming was contained in the app, who sees the info and what happens to the info after 6 months.... Reasonable questions don't you think? Until I hear back I won't be d/l the app.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I got a text telling me to d/l the app. I texted back asking what will the app do with my info, what programming was contained in the app, who sees the info and what happens to the info after 6 months.... Reasonable questions don't you think? Until I hear back I won't be d/l the app. "

There won't be a reply. That message was sent from a computer, on an automated system that will handle millions of texts for multiple people. Without a short code (generally a word, like when you text swing here to pay £5 for membership)

The full details of the permissions the app needs and what it has access to on your phone (which is pretty much nothing and the app has been designed to work without gaining any identifiable data at all).

It's all explained here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-covid-19-app-privacy-information/nhs-test-and-trace-app-early-adopter-trial-august-2020-privacy-notice

What you have to understand is, this isn't the app that was talked about at the beginning of lockdown. It's a completely different app, written by a much larger, wider group of people.

They are being super transparent, the code is available for anyone to see, check or even contribute to if they want to or are able on GitHub.

By *ungblackbullMan
over a year ago

scotland

They don't they just text all numbers takes a computer about 11hours to to do it's the same with spam calls. I guess your number is some where between 07500000000 and 07800000000"

Don't you mean 07899999999? Or actually 0799999999?

By *igman_UKMan
over a year ago

Birmingham/Paisley

"I don’t think so I haven’t tracked n traced anywhere as I haven’t been anywhere and I’ve had two text to download ... but I don’t want to ... hence I only go to supermarket and outdoor activities "

Surely that's still going out? Also just because you are outside does not prevent you getting it, or if you are a carrier, passing it on to others. As said earlier if 2/3 of population actually used this it would make a huge difference.

There are very few bits of data it records, so if worried about the conspiracy theories that the internet is full of, then you shouldn't be.

By *oncupiscence73Woman
over a year ago

South

I’ve been to 3 places this week where you’re not allowed in without the app and have to check in. I feel this will become more and more of a compulsory requirement to have the app. Personally I don’t care i never do anything that means I have to hide so fill your boots.

As a side note when you download the app you are allocated a random number and it’s this number that’s used not your name or anything else.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

"I got a text telling me to d/l the app. I texted back asking what will the app do with my info, what programming was contained in the app, who sees the info and what happens to the info after 6 months.... Reasonable questions don't you think? Until I hear back I won't be d/l the app.

There won't be a reply. That message was sent from a computer, on an automated system that will handle millions of texts for multiple people. Without a short code (generally a word, like when you text swing here to pay £5 for membership)

The full details of the permissions the app needs and what it has access to on your phone (which is pretty much nothing and the app has been designed to work without gaining any identifiable data at all).

It's all explained here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-covid-19-app-privacy-information/nhs-test-and-trace-app-early-adopter-trial-august-2020-privacy-notice

What you have to understand is, this isn't the app that was talked about at the beginning of lockdown. It's a completely different app, written by a much larger, wider group of people.

They are being super transparent, the code is available for anyone to see, check or even contribute to if they want to or are able on GitHub. "

His best buddy is No Reply

By *dores blackmenWoman
over a year ago

incognito mode ;-)

They are also sending an extra text asking you to download it through google/apple app store when they send your results of covid tests

I was sent one this morning with my negative result from the nhs testing facility

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Cynic

over a year ago

def a scam we had it as well

By *ess n BenCouple
over a year ago

Didcot

Jess had the same text a couple of days ago

She thought it was a scan so deleted it

As others have suggested get the app from the App Store if you want to download it

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

apparently it wasnt spam but from the government using your doctors details

Between 26 and 27 September, NHS Test and Trace messaged anyone resident in the country who was over the age of 16 and had previously provided their contact details to a GP. Those contacted had not specifically opted in to receive marketing communications regarding the NHS COVID-19 app.

you will find it at

the register

ref

UK privacy watchdog confirms probe into NHS England COVID-19 app after complaints of spammy emails, texts

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Corrajelo,Spain, Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

I know a few people who have received the text but we haven't.

Post new Message to Thread