Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

I tested positive for Covid antibodies

Jump to newest

By *urga2076 OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

Not sure why I want to say this but I guess i wanted you all to hear a "happy" covid story. I apparently had covid and was totally asymptomatic. I had the same level of fatigue that any mamma of youngish kids has. The only side effect I noticed was a period of lymph node swellings. I only got the test because I had to to do something else, and it came as a total surprise. I know it won't be the same for everyone but I think sharing some positivity can't be a bad thing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oved Up 2Couple
over a year ago

nottingham

It's fabulous you weren't ill with it but worrying that so many people that have this virus without symptoms so can be innocently passing it around. I guess that's why social distancing is still so important.

Stay safe x

By *OXO2018Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Me too, I'm obese have diabetes and asthma as well.

The only reason I got tested was my nephew was postive, and I'm high risk. If he hadn't I would've been none the wiser.

I think I had it last year at christmas.

By *urga2076 OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

Very true. Luckily we were in full lock down then but it did make me think about that the responsibility more

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

The scary thing is we do not know how many have this virus and never will.

The young really need to have it drummed into them they may well be carriers.

We need to respect others as well as protect ourselves

By *spotpleasurerMan
over a year ago

Norwich

This is the big unknown with Covid. The outbreak happened at a time when many of us were having winter episodes of colds, cough and flu. At least that's what we thought but it might have been a mild case of Covid and you'll never know unless you take the antibody test.

There are two confirmed cases of re-infection in the medical literature, so the antibodies may not offer 100% immunity.

By *linyMan
over a year ago

Manchester/London

As far as I’m aware there are 4 confirmed cases of reinfection. Antibodies up to now have an average lifespan of 12 weeks an reinfection has occurred after this time frame.

Hence we need a long term effective vaccine.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

How do you get an antibody test ?

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"How do you get an antibody test ?"

You can get them at private clinics for about £60. I did a finger prick test that was part of the nhs/mori survey, which was negative, but they do say they are not 100%. The best way is to have blood drawn and tested

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Thanks for the advice

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Thanks for the advice"

You're welcome Sally

By *att46Man
over a year ago

glasgow

Hi tries to get anti body test in Scotland and government stopped them think it was about 90 pound superdrug were doing it need to look at private doctors

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Just checked, Bupa here charge £65.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

On the local news yesterday they mentioned a large outbreak in a factory setting where the vast majority of the positive tests were asymptomatic.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

where did you get the test

By *addyBabygirl2020Couple
over a year ago

norwich

We looked into ordering some antibody tests but do a quick google search and you can find plenty of credible information on why they are a waste of time. Public Heath England even disputes the accuracy claimed by these test and by a long way to.

But also plenty of other doctors and scientists have released articles on the inaccuracy of these tests.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"We looked into ordering some antibody tests but do a quick google search and you can find plenty of credible information on why they are a waste of time. Public Heath England even disputes the accuracy claimed by these test and by a long way to.

But also plenty of other doctors and scientists have released articles on the inaccuracy of these tests.

"

I think the ones you order online are the finger prick one that I done for the nhs survey, they say they are not 100%. The most accurate one is a blood test, where blood is drawn, obviously at a clinic

By *cloversCouple
over a year ago

Hull

Tested positive for antibodies in June as part of NHS testing - I had been quite poorly in April before widespread covid testing of NHS staff

Still struggling now with long covid

By *iguy for funMan
over a year ago

CIRENCESTER

i must admit i'm struggling to know why i would ask for an antibody test.

yes it shows whether i have had it or not but as others have said, and i've read elsewhere btw, there is no evidence that having antibodies mean you can't have it again or indeed transmit it. to be fair this thing is so new that i'm not sure any govt (of whatever colour) can say one way or another and i saw one article today in the peoples lancet (aka the daily mail) that suggest any antibodies disappeared after 3 months of being infected.

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I had a antibody test at my gps last week ,as i was having a routine blood test and they asked if they can test for it ,it was negative

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"i must admit i'm struggling to know why i would ask for an antibody test.

yes it shows whether i have had it or not but as others have said, and i've read elsewhere btw, there is no evidence that having antibodies mean you can't have it again or indeed transmit it. to be fair this thing is so new that i'm not sure any govt (of whatever colour) can say one way or another and i saw one article today in the peoples lancet (aka the daily mail) that suggest any antibodies disappeared after 3 months of being infected. "

I think it's just interesting to know if you've had it, it makes no difference

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Generally the antibodies seem short lived, yet I had incredibly mild Covid in late March/early April and had a positive antibody test over 4 months later (NHS did during my pre op bloods). I found that very interesting indeed, as antibody levels are supposed to correlate with severity (ish).

By *ussex team upMan
over a year ago

Sussex

"Not sure why I want to say this but I guess i wanted you all to hear a "happy" covid story. I apparently had covid and was totally asymptomatic. I had the same level of fatigue that any mamma of youngish kids has. The only side effect I noticed was a period of lymph node swellings. I only got the test because I had to to do something else, and it came as a total surprise. I know it won't be the same for everyone but I think sharing some positivity can't be a bad thing?"

Is it a positive story???. That's the big danger of passing it on if you didn't know you had it !!

Good for you health wise but possibly fatal for anyone you unsuspectingly passed it onto ?

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Here's a very interesting article on the government information site so the link should be ok

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/update-on-immunity-to-sars-cov-2-2-september-2020

By *cloversCouple
over a year ago

Hull

yes it shows whether i have had it or not but as others have said, and i've read elsewhere btw, there is no evidence that having antibodies mean you can't have it again or indeed transmit it. to be fair this thing is so new that i'm not sure any govt (of whatever colour) can say one way or another and i saw one article today in the peoples lancet (aka the daily mail) that suggest any antibodies disappeared after 3 months of being infected. "

Its important to some as there is research underway re long term effects & tracking potential reinfection rates (& again research re severity of virus in reinfection cases) Also very important is that people with antibodies can help if able to donate plasma for treatment of hospitalised covid + patients

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

yes it shows whether i have had it or not but as others have said, and i've read elsewhere btw, there is no evidence that having antibodies mean you can't have it again or indeed transmit it. to be fair this thing is so new that i'm not sure any govt (of whatever colour) can say one way or another and i saw one article today in the peoples lancet (aka the daily mail) that suggest any antibodies disappeared after 3 months of being infected.

Its important to some as there is research underway re long term effects & tracking potential reinfection rates (& again research re severity of virus in reinfection cases) Also very important is that people with antibodies can help if able to donate plasma for treatment of hospitalised covid + patients "

Good point

Post new Message to Thread