Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

VITAMIN D

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

More and more studies are coming out saying that having good levels of Vitamin D in your system helps to prevent you becoming seriously ill if you get the Covid virus.

Just google Covid and Vitamin D.

Seems like a no-brainer not to take Vit D supplements now.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

Had my vitamin D levels tested last week 131.9 nmol/L. I take 3200iu (80micrograms) vitamin D3 per day.

I think it's criminal that the government isn't advising everyone to take care of any deficiency in their vitamin D levels.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Costco do a massive tub of Vit D for a very reasonable price. Supplementing this bad boy all through the year.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

I read articles regarding this at the very beginning of lockdown. We’re massively vitamin D deficient in this country.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

We started taking Vit D in march and not missed a day, will keep it going, especially the next 6 months, noticed the shelf in the supermarket was looking low on all vitamins so maybe people are starting to think they need to take care of their health through winter.

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

I noticed this the other day, long been thought about the vitamin d, at the weekend it was confirmed, maybe those that produce it in high levels will be less prone to serve infection so certain races of humans produce it naturally, although this still does not account for the areas covid has spread.

Yes the vitamin shelf at the weekend did look ransacked

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I read articles regarding this at the very beginning of lockdown. We’re massively vitamin D deficient in this country. "

And even more so now the daylight hours are dwindling...

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

May I correct myself, all humans produce, absorb it just some in high quantities.

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I read articles regarding this at the very beginning of lockdown. We’re massively vitamin D deficient in this country. "

Yes, I’ve been told by several docs and profs that people in the UK should take vitamin d supplements even if they don’t take multivitamins.

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

I've been taking vitamin D for many years now,

over a year ago

shelves will be empty tomorrow

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

Red heads produce their own vit D.

By *uited staffs guyMan
over a year ago

staffordshire

Of course low vit D levels linked to other things as well

Association isn’t always the same as causation

over a year ago

You piss out most vitamin supplements before they have a chance to be absorbed.

By *iddle ManMan
over a year ago

Walsall

"Red heads produce their own vit D. "

Be selling them on ebay x10 the price

By *az080378Woman
over a year ago

Cromer

"You piss out most vitamin supplements before they have a chance to be absorbed."

Water soluble vitamins you will get rid of what you don't need but D is a fat soluble vitamin so works differently x

over a year ago

Get some sun!! Brown as a berry her thanks to lockdown and a 4 month holiday paid for by Rishi....

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"More and more studies are coming out saying that having good levels of Vitamin D in your system helps to prevent you becoming seriously ill if you get the Covid virus.

Seems like a no-brainer not to take Vit D supplements now. "

I now take it everyday

By *imited 3EditionCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"Had my vitamin D levels tested last week 131.9 nmol/L. I take 3200iu (80micrograms) vitamin D3 per day.

I think it's criminal that the government isn't advising everyone to take care of any deficiency in their vitamin D levels."

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"More and more studies are coming out saying that having good levels of Vitamin D in your system helps to prevent you becoming seriously ill if you get the Covid virus.

Apparently the oral spray is one of the better ways to get this in to the body.been on it for oh 6 months

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

I'm seriously deficient in vitamin D and get it on prescription. Discovered it last year after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the Thyroxine didn't initially take effect.

It affects almost every system in the body. I would highly recommend everyone taking a supplement

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

I'm not in deficit of Vit D:

Naked sunbathing at local club, 14 times this year

Plenty of milk every day

Cheese daily

Sun beds once a week

Multivitamins when feeling run down, colds typically.

Just had my bloods done and that was fine.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I'm seriously deficient in vitamin D and get it on prescription. Discovered it last year after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the Thyroxine didn't initially take effect.

It affects almost every system in the body. I would highly recommend everyone taking a supplement "

Have you read this? This is a selection of the thyroid researchers' statements

Thyroid UK Statement regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) says At the moment, there is no evidence that people with thyroid disease are at any more risk than people without thyroid disease.

and

Members of the British Thyroid Association (BTA) and the Society for Endocrinology (SfE) said this:

Q Are individuals with autoimmune thyroid disease at increased risk of COVID-19 infection?

COVID-19 is a novel virus, so we have no information on how it affects individuals with thyroid disease, however thyroid disease (TD) is not known to be associated with increased risk of viral infections in general, nor is there an association between TD and severity of viral infection.

Q Does control of thyroid disease affect infection risk?

There is no evidence that those with poorly controlled thyroid disease are more likely to contract viral infections in general. However, it is possible that patients with uncontrolled thyroid disease (especially thyrotoxicosis) may be at higher risk of complications (for example thyroid storm) from any infection. We strongly recommend that patients with thyroid disease continue taking their thyroid medication(s) to reduce this risk.

Hope it helps, as there is far too much fake news out there.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

"I'm seriously deficient in vitamin D and get it on prescription. Discovered it last year after I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the Thyroxine didn't initially take effect.

It affects almost every system in the body. I would highly recommend everyone taking a supplement

Thyroid UK Statement regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) says At the moment, there is no evidence that people with thyroid disease are at any more risk than people without thyroid disease.

and

Members of the British Thyroid Association (BTA) and the Society for Endocrinology (SfE) said this:

Q Are individuals with autoimmune thyroid disease at increased risk of COVID-19 infection?

COVID-19 is a novel virus, so we have no information on how it affects individuals with thyroid disease, however thyroid disease (TD) is not known to be associated with increased risk of viral infections in general, nor is there an association between TD and severity of viral infection.

There is no evidence that those with poorly controlled thyroid disease are more likely to contract viral infections in general. However, it is possible that patients with uncontrolled thyroid disease (especially thyrotoxicosis) may be at higher risk of complications (for example thyroid storm) from any infection. We strongly recommend that patients with thyroid disease continue taking their thyroid medication(s) to reduce this risk.

Hope it helps, as there is far too much fake news out there."

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Unfortunately, I also have rheumatoid arthritis, so have been on immunosuppressants for over 20 yrs.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

and

Unfortunately, I also have rheumatoid arthritis, so have been on immunosuppressants for over 20 yrs.

"

It's a pity you can't get good cheese and a sunny holiday on prescription!

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"You piss out most vitamin supplements before they have a chance to be absorbed."

You certainly don't piss out the fat soluble ones like Vitamin D. It's excreted bound to bile salts in the faeces. Most Brits are deficient and so very few of us are excreting any. The best Vit D supplement is in an oily capsule or spray, not a chalky tablet. None of us will synthesise any natural Vit D from now till about May, due to the incidence angle of the sunlight striking the UK, which means that the wavelengths of UV, even on bright sunny days, are incorrect for vitamin D biosynthesis. Either you make loads of it during the summer months by being outdoors with at minimum whole arms from the elbow exposed every day for several hours, or you supplement. I supplement because any duration of exposure means I burn.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"You piss out most vitamin supplements before they have a chance to be absorbed.

You certainly don't piss out the fat soluble ones like Vitamin D. It's excreted bound to bile salts in the faeces. Most Brits are deficient and so very few of us are excreting any. The best Vit D supplement is in an oily capsule or spray, not a chalky tablet. None of us will synthesise any natural Vit D from now till about May, due to the incidence angle of the sunlight striking the UK, which means that the wavelengths of UV, even on bright sunny days, are incorrect for vitamin D biosynthesis. Either you make loads of it during the summer months by being outdoors with at minimum whole arms from the elbow exposed every day for several hours, or you supplement. I supplement because any duration of exposure means I burn. "

So do sun beds help I don't but some might so thought I'd ask

Mr Tickle sorry

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"You piss out most vitamin supplements before they have a chance to be absorbed.

You certainly don't piss out the fat soluble ones like Vitamin D. It's excreted bound to bile salts in the faeces. Most Brits are deficient and so very few of us are excreting any. The best Vit D supplement is in an oily capsule or spray, not a chalky tablet. None of us will synthesise any natural Vit D from now till about May, due to the incidence angle of the sunlight striking the UK, which means that the wavelengths of UV, even on bright sunny days, are incorrect for vitamin D biosynthesis. Either you make loads of it during the summer months by being outdoors with at minimum whole arms from the elbow exposed every day for several hours, or you supplement. I supplement because any duration of exposure means I burn. "

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

and

It's a pity you can't get good cheese and a sunny holiday on prescription!"

If only it were that easy! I currently ingest half of Boots every single day

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

It's not surprising the Nordic country's are doing better than us as they fortify basic foods with vitamin D.

over a year ago

North West

You certainly don't piss out the fat soluble ones like Vitamin D. It's excreted bound to bile salts in the faeces. Most Brits are deficient and so very few of us are excreting any. The best Vit D supplement is in an oily capsule or spray, not a chalky tablet. None of us will synthesise any natural Vit D from now till about May, due to the incidence angle of the sunlight striking the UK, which means that the wavelengths of UV, even on bright sunny days, are incorrect for vitamin D biosynthesis. Either you make loads of it during the summer months by being outdoors with at minimum whole arms from the elbow exposed every day for several hours, or you supplement. I supplement because any duration of exposure means I burn.

Mr Tickle sorry "

Technically UV-B from sunbeds would trigger vitamin D synthesis but the durations are so short that it's probably very trivial. Added to that the UV-A wavelengths emitted from the sun beds, which are the cause of melanomas and I know this pale skinned Brit would prefer to pop a vit D capsule every day.

over a year ago

We are and made worse by the over use of sun block particular factor 50.

over a year ago

North West

"I read articles regarding this at the very beginning of lockdown. We’re massively vitamin D deficient in this country.

We are and made worse by the over use of sun block particular factor 50. "

Some of us turn lobster red within 5mins though. I can't go outdoors between April and September without a hat because my head burns. I once toasted my scalp at Tatton Park on an overcast day in early April whilst wearing a warm pullover and wellies. My skin is just pathetic and I don't tan at all. I plump for the factor 50 plus Vit D oil capsules all year round and am doing just fine.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Mr Tickle sorry

Technically UV-B from sunbeds would trigger vitamin D synthesis but the durations are so short that it's probably very trivial. Added to that the UV-A wavelengths emitted from the sun beds, which are the cause of melanomas and I know this pale skinned Brit would prefer to pop a vit D capsule every day. "

Thank you for that sleep well both of you and stay safe

over a year ago

North West

Mr Tickle sorry

Technically UV-B from sunbeds would trigger vitamin D synthesis but the durations are so short that it's probably very trivial. Added to that the UV-A wavelengths emitted from the sun beds, which are the cause of melanomas and I know this pale skinned Brit would prefer to pop a vit D capsule every day.

Thank you for that sleep well both of you and stay safe"

You're welcome and sleep well too

over a year ago

"I read articles regarding this at the very beginning of lockdown. We’re massively vitamin D deficient in this country.

We are and made worse by the over use of sun block particular factor 50.

Some of us turn lobster red within 5mins though. I can't go outdoors between April and September without a hat because my head burns. I once toasted my scalp at Tatton Park on an overcast day in early April whilst wearing a warm pullover and wellies. My skin is just pathetic and I don't tan at all. I plump for the factor 50 plus Vit D oil capsules all year round and am doing just fine. "

And that's wise for you but most don't need factor 50 was my point.

This issue in northern Europe in particular would partially explain why the Black and Asian communities here have suffered disproportionately with Covid too. Their skin absorbs less vitD levels.

By *r NeilMan
over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

Well I produce my own so happy days lol

over a year ago

North West

"Well I produce my own so happy days lol

"

You certainly don't in the UK at this time of year, no matter what the weather. Of that we can be sure. None of us do because of the angle the UK is in relation to the angle at which the sun's rays strike us. We are not struck by the right wavelengths of UV-B between approx September to late April.

By *r NeilMan
over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

Then again to much is VD is not healthy lol

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

We’ve always took multi vitamins, in March added a vitamin D supplement as knew wouldn’t get what we needed from being outside a limited amount of time

over a year ago

I started a thread about this earlier in the year. I noticed Dr Fauci is also saying you should supplement Vitamin D if you are deficienct.

Personally I am using tannimg beds. I have gone from picking up every cold sniffle or flu virus going around to not having anything since I started tanning.

There is a guy in the USA who says he will give $5000 to anyone who can prove a sunbed gave them skin cancer. No one has done it yet. Sunbeds were originally invented to treat skin ailments...

For Vitamin D supplementation there is an easy to use mouth spray that you use one a day. Works like a charm

Stay healthy fellow fabbers!

over a year ago

North West

"Then again to much is VD is not healthy lol"

No, too much venereal disease can send you potty

over a year ago

Too much of most things is not healthy. It's implied in the too much.

All things in moderation...

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Been taking vitamin D vitaminC , zinc magnesium multi vitamins and collagen since March .... fit and healthy here

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

"Been taking vitamin D vitaminC , zinc magnesium multi vitamins and collagen since March .... fit and healthy here "
oh forgot my iron and B12 tablets too

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

It's a well established fact that vitamin D is one of the principal factors in boosting your immune system. It's beyond me why GP's aren't prescribing it in masse to people given most in the UK are deficient in this to begin with.

By *r NeilMan
over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

AM DONE WITH ALL THE BULLSHIT

over a year ago

Well ever since I could walk Im outdoors during daylight hours. I work out in the wilds not near roads pretty much 7 days a week, all weathers. Only ever been ill once..appendecitus at 5 year old. Never needed or had a doctor since I left school. Always put it down to being outdoors and the fact I work a lot around all those conditions that increase ones immunity.

over a year ago

"It's a well established fact that vitamin D is one of the principal factors in boosting your immune system. It's beyond me why GP's aren't prescribing it in masse to people given most in the UK are deficient in this to begin with."

Maybes because we decided to ignore 90% of what we know about viruses and the human immune system and try to start again. There is more evidence of Vitamin D than of most of the measures we have tried.

We also know that some Scandinavian nations widely take vitamin D, due to their position and long winters. We also know that the BAME populations in the UK are more deficient in Vitamin D than other population groups.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/vitamin-d-supplementation.aspx

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1548/rr-6

That leads to a question, has the underlying vitamin D deficiency contributed to the disparity in outcomes of covid patients.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The last I heard, the data are still pretty inconclusive.

It's a sensible supplement to take for most people, and I do, but it doesn't excite me.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Easier to just leave the U.K.

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

I’m on the D and been taking Vit-C and Zinc for years, get on it folks and be super human like Donald Trump

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"Been taking vitamin D vitaminC , zinc magnesium multi vitamins and collagen since March .... fit and healthy here "

I hear you sister, Vit-C and Zinc is my drug of choice, popping those bad boys for years

By *r NeilMan
over a year ago

Lancs Mancs

This will be new scandal lol

over a year ago

Vitamin D3 which is animal based is better to take than vitamin D2 which is plant based.

Of course to much meat and other animal products is not good for you so its a balanced diet that is required.

It would be interesting to see if there is any research on Covid and diet and whether its perhaps disproportionately affecting those who eat little or no animal products.

Post new Message to Thread