Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Refunds Travel Companies

Jump to newest

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

BBC news this morning.So we know all the problems people are having. They are reporting that travel companies are breaking the law by not giving cash refunds on the time scales, 14 days package holiday,7 days on flights.We all know they are inundated, at the moment. So, as has been mentioned before, if you need or want your cash sooner rather than later, put a claim to your card provider. What they have said, if you accept a credit note and the company go bust,you will be covered, if you have the atol/abta protection

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Some further info at 9.15 BBC1 for anyone affected

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A lot of what's going on is defo illegal, maybe even to the point of fraud.

Most of the companies that are offering credit notes are doing so because they know full well they will be bankrupt long before they have to honor those credit notes. That is just patent fraud.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes, so the guy from Which is saying they are in breach of legal requirements. People are saying it is the lack of communication and the difficulty getting through on the phone. One lady was due to fly yesterday at 2.20 and got notification of cancellation at 3pm! TUI have said they have now contacted all 170,000 clients due to fly by 15th May.They are offering a credit note, valid until 31.10.21, with a 20% incentive to book another holiday. Still covered by atol/abta if they go bust. He also said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment, because of the offer of the credit note.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"Yes, so the guy from Which is saying they are in breach of legal requirements. People are saying it is the lack of communication and the difficulty getting through on the phone. One lady was due to fly yesterday at 2.20 and got notification of cancellation at 3pm! TUI have said they have now contacted all 170,000 clients due to fly by 15th May.They are offering a credit note, valid until 31.10.21, with a 20% incentive to book another holiday. Still covered by atol/abta if they go bust. He also said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment, because of the offer of the credit note."

Was this in interview only or available as a link for info? - might be helpful for folks to go to ?

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Yes, so the guy from Which is saying they are in breach of legal requirements. People are saying it is the lack of communication and the difficulty getting through on the phone. One lady was due to fly yesterday at 2.20 and got notification of cancellation at 3pm! TUI have said they have now contacted all 170,000 clients due to fly by 15th May.They are offering a credit note, valid until 31.10.21, with a 20% incentive to book another holiday. Still covered by atol/abta if they go bust. He also said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment, because of the offer of the credit note.

Was this in interview only or available as a link for info? - might be helpful for folks to go to ?"

I've just watched it on the news and it was a guy from Which on there. I would imagine there would be advice on Which website top.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I will add, wait until they cancel your flights/holidays. If the client cancels before the travel date, they aren't entitled to a cash refund.

over a year ago

here

"Yes, so the guy from Which is saying they are in breach of legal requirements. People are saying it is the lack of communication and the difficulty getting through on the phone. One lady was due to fly yesterday at 2.20 and got notification of cancellation at 3pm! TUI have said they have now contacted all 170,000 clients due to fly by 15th May.They are offering a credit note, valid until 31.10.21, with a 20% incentive to book another holiday. Still covered by atol/abta if they go bust. He also said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment, because of the offer of the credit note.

Was this in interview only or available as a link for info? - might be helpful for folks to go to ?

I've just watched it on the news and it was a guy from Which on there. I would imagine there would be advice on Which website top. "

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/should-i-accept-a-holiday-company-or-airline-voucher-do-i-have-to/

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I've just watched it on the news and it was a guy from Which on there. I would imagine there would be advice on Which website top.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/should-i-accept-a-holiday-company-or-airline-voucher-do-i-have-to/"

Excellent

By *asmartsCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

We were due to cruise on 27th March and are still waiting for our refund of £6,000. It was cancelled A couple of weeks before and we’re told 45 days at longest. But trying to contact the company for any clarification is impossible

over a year ago

Go through your credit card company or bank if you paid by debt card.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"We were due to cruise on 27th March and are still waiting for our refund of £6,000. It was cancelled A couple of weeks before and we’re told 45 days at longest. But trying to contact the company for any clarification is impossible "

Oh dear, what a nightmare. Are you getting a cash refund?

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Go through your credit card company or bank if you paid by debt card."

Apparently, the Which guy said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment as holiday companies have offered a 'resolution '. So yes contact them and see what they say.

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman
over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

I was due to sail to Bruges on North Sea ferries and had a hotel as a separate booking.

The ferries are still running but for goods only. They said we can change the date to whenever we want. This was offered early on and I didn’t see it as an issue.

The hotel was booked as non refundable but they said I could change dates then asked me to book by end of May or a refund. As we have no idea when things will reopen I opted for the refund. I wasn’t expecting to get anything back on it so I’m happy.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I was due to sail to Bruges on North Sea ferries and had a hotel as a separate booking.

The ferries are still running but for goods only. They said we can change the date to whenever we want. This was offered early on and I didn’t see it as an issue.

The hotel was booked as non refundable but they said I could change dates then asked me to book by end of May or a refund. As we have no idea when things will reopen I opted for the refund. I wasn’t expecting to get anything back on it so I’m happy. "

. That's good to get a positive result

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"BBC news this morning.So we know all the problems people are having. They are reporting that travel companies are breaking the law by not giving cash refunds on the time scales, 14 days package holiday,7 days on flights.We all know they are inundated, at the moment. So, as has been mentioned before, if you need or want your cash sooner rather than later, put a claim to your card provider. What they have said, if you accept a credit note and the company go bust,you will be covered, if you have the atol/abta protection "

Thank you Samiss I watched as well. It was helpful.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Avanti west cost were brilliant. Not an expensive trip by any standards but was planning a dirty weekend in London after my birthday.

They refunded the advance tickets straight away, money hit my credit card in 3 days

By *ayTVTV/TS
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

Big shout out to Air BnB.

Had to cancel booking for this summer, no hassles, no issues.

They advised full refund would be back in account within 10 working days.

It was refunded within 2 days

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

STA travel owe us some money, we are just using the online county court process, the law is very clear on travel goods/services not delivered

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"BBC news this morning.So we know all the problems people are having. They are reporting that travel companies are breaking the law by not giving cash refunds on the time scales, 14 days package holiday,7 days on flights.We all know they are inundated, at the moment. So, as has been mentioned before, if you need or want your cash sooner rather than later, put a claim to your card provider. What they have said, if you accept a credit note and the company go bust,you will be covered, if you have the atol/abta protection

Thank you Samiss I watched as well. It was helpful. "

Morning Babs I thought it clarified a few things for people, hopefully

over a year ago

"Go through your credit card company or bank if you paid by debt card.

Apparently, the Which guy said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment as holiday companies have offered a 'resolution '. So yes contact them and see what they say. "

Yes my card company said that because 6 weeks ago I was told by Virgin Atlantic that they would refund me I can’t raise it with them. If after 90 days I still haven’t received anything THEN they will intervene

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Avanti west cost were brilliant. Not an expensive trip by any standards but was planning a dirty weekend in London after my birthday.

They refunded the advance tickets straight away, money hit my credit card in 3 days"

. That's great to hear, hope you get your dirty weekend, at some point!

over a year ago

"Big shout out to Air BnB.

It was refunded within 2 days"

Yes I had a 3 week booking in London and I asked the person renting the property and they offered me 50% refund but then day after air bnb said I could get 100% refund so I applied and within a day or two it was credited back onto my card. Very prompt service

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Apparently, the Which guy said some credit card companies aren't refunding at the moment as holiday companies have offered a 'resolution '. So yes contact them and see what they say.

Yes my card company said that because 6 weeks ago I was told by Virgin Atlantic that they would refund me I can’t raise it with them. If after 90 days I still haven’t received anything THEN they will intervene"

Sounds like that is what will happen in your case..not good..

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"STA travel owe us some money, we are just using the online county court process, the law is very clear on travel goods/services not delivered "

So you can't claim in any other way? Credit card,abta, insurance?

over a year ago

Yes my card company said that because 6 weeks ago I was told by Virgin Atlantic that they would refund me I can’t raise it with them. If after 90 days I still haven’t received anything THEN they will intervene"

And TAX DODGER Branson has the cheek to ask for a bailout.....maybe he should ask the Seychelles or Bermuda or wherever it is he hides his company books....

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes I had a 3 week booking in London and I asked the person renting the property and they offered me 50% refund but then day after air bnb said I could get 100% refund so I applied and within a day or two it was credited back onto my card. Very prompt service "

Well done airBnB again!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Tui were saying that you have to accept the credit note first and when you had been issued that you could then ask for the refund.

over a year ago

Yes my card company said that because 6 weeks ago I was told by Virgin Atlantic that they would refund me I can’t raise it with them. If after 90 days I still haven’t received anything THEN they will intervene

Sounds like that is what will happen in your case..not good.."

If I have to go down that route so be it. It’s not a huge amount of money in the scheme of things and I know one way or the other I will get it. My concern TBH is as much for the other people who desperately need their refund. I saw one poster on another thread waiting for a £15k refund.

I don’t have any more flights booked now for summer until a trip to China in September which obviously may not happen either.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Tui were saying that you have to accept the credit note first and when you had been issued that you could then ask for the refund."

Yes, they are and that's the unlawful bit apparently They should give a cash refund, in 14 days for package holiday and 7 days for a flight. We all know that isn't going to happen, but they should be refunding, rather than giving the credit note.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Sounds like that is what will happen in your case..not good..

If I have to go down that route so be it. It’s not a huge amount of money in the scheme of things and I know one way or the other I will get it. My concern TBH is as much for the other people who desperately need their refund. I saw one poster on another thread waiting for a £15k refund.

I don’t have any more flights booked now for summer until a trip to China in September which obviously may not happen either. "

You are right. There are those who have lost jobs and businesses and really need their cash back now, within the set timelines

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

My daughter just got her refund from Jet2 for a holiday in June ... she had paid it in installments each month and they refunded payment by payment which I thought a bit strange

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"My daughter just got her refund from Jet2 for a holiday in June ... she had paid it in installments each month and they refunded payment by payment which I thought a bit strange "

That's good yes, a little odd, but from a financial point of view ,it would mean the transactions would match in their bank records

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Go through your credit card company or bank if you paid by debt card."

I think you can only claim on a CC if they are refusing to give a refund or they have gone bust and they are not a member of ABTA etc

If they are offering a refund they will be doing it by date, ie the closest cancellations gets processed in order

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

And TAX DODGER Branson has the cheek to ask for a bailout.....maybe he should ask the Seychelles or Bermuda or wherever it is he hides his company books...."

I think the companies pay tax in the UK

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I think you can only claim on a CC if they are refusing to give a refund or they have gone bust and they are not a member of ABTA etc

If they are offering a refund they will be doing it by date, ie the closest cancellations gets processed in order"

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

And TAX DODGER Branson has the cheek to ask for a bailout.....maybe he should ask the Seychelles or Bermuda or wherever it is he hides his company books....

I think the companies pay tax in the UK"

Although I don't think him or Stelios should be receiving grants or loans IF the directors / shareholders are still getting dividends

By *unguy2757Man
over a year ago

newcastle

What I can’t fathom is. They say they inundated with refund enquiries ... and say they are too busy regards backlog ..but surely it takes same time to give a voucher or longer regards re booking than it takes to refund ????? Or maybes they just happy to give vouchers and re booking than refund us OUR cash ???? Why should we go without when OUR monies are in there banks ????

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"What I can’t fathom is. They say they inundated with refund enquiries ... and say they are too busy regards backlog ..but surely it takes same time to give a voucher or longer regards re booking than it takes to refund ????? Or maybes they just happy to give vouchers and re booking than refund us OUR cash ???? Why should we go without when OUR monies are in there banks ???? "

Yes so effectively longer because they will issue the voucher and than have to process a refund, if that's what people want.

over a year ago

If the company agrees to give a refund by an agreed date then fail to do so then you can claim through your credit card. Also If you aren't happy with the information you are getting then you can also seek advice through the credit card company. Don't let these companies push you around as consumer rights are there to protect us. There is no reason to accept a voucher unless you want to.

If they are offering a refund they will be doing it by date, ie the closest cancellations gets processed in order"

over a year ago

I think the companies pay tax in the UK"

Not what is reported on news channels this morning....but prepared to stand corrected if they are also wrong or not being clear

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

If the company agrees to give a refund by an agreed date then fail to do so then you can claim through your credit card. Also If you aren't happy with the information you are getting then you can also seek advice through the credit card company. Don't let these companies push you around as consumer rights are there to protect us. There is no reason to accept a voucher unless you want to.

Thank you

By *unguy2757Man
over a year ago

newcastle

[Removed by poster at 22/04/20 13:27:23]

By *unguy2757Man
over a year ago

newcastle

[Removed by poster at 22/04/20 13:27:46]

By *unguy2757Man
over a year ago

newcastle

"What I can’t fathom is. They say they inundated with refund enquiries ... and say they are too busy regards backlog ..but surely it takes same time to give a voucher or longer regards re booking than it takes to refund ????? Or maybes they just happy to give vouchers and re booking than refund us OUR cash ???? Why should we go without when OUR monies are in there banks ????

Yes so effectively longer because they will issue the voucher and than have to process a refund, if that's what people want."

By *unguy2757Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Well it seems I can’t post asking to clarify as regards 1) an enquiry asking for a refund of monies owed ... 2) they say they being deluged with people asking for refunds but saying it’s taking time. Surely an enquiry for a voucher or re booking must take same amount or longer so I don’t think the “we are to busy” to issue refunds doesn’t wash. ?????

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Other European countries have changed the legal rights for refunds, giving more flexibility to the travel companies but not consumers. I wonder if the UK government is watching, as they aren't the strongest on consumers rights etc.

It's clear that they should have designed systems that processed the repayments as easily as they take your money. It's negligence at best, or...

Has anyone looked at the small claims court system for this?

Which?, the Consumers Association, is concerned about the travel companies cashflow situation. Sorry, they should be more concerned with the consumer

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Well it seems I can’t post asking to clarify as regards 1) an enquiry asking for a refund of monies owed ... 2) they say they being deluged with people asking for refunds but saying it’s taking time. Surely an enquiry for a voucher or re booking must take same amount or longer so I don’t think the “we are to busy” to issue refunds doesn’t wash. ????? "

I agree with you,it must take longer

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Other European countries have changed the legal rights for refunds, giving more flexibility to the travel companies but not consumers. I wonder if the UK government is watching, as they aren't the strongest on consumers rights etc.

It's clear that they should have designed systems that processed the repayments as easily as they take your money. It's negligence at best, or...

Which?, the Consumers Association, is concerned about the travel companies cashflow situation. Sorry, they should be more concerned with the consumer "

You are quite right. Not looked at the small claims court, myself, but would that take longer than waiting for the cash refund, not sure how it works

By *asmartsCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

"We were due to cruise on 27th March and are still waiting for our refund of £6,000. It was cancelled A couple of weeks before and we’re told 45 days at longest. But trying to contact the company for any clarification is impossible

Oh dear, what a nightmare. Are you getting a cash refund?"

That’s what we requested so fingers crossed!

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"We were due to cruise on 27th March and are still waiting for our refund of £6,000. It was cancelled A couple of weeks before and we’re told 45 days at longest. But trying to contact the company for any clarification is impossible

Oh dear, what a nightmare. Are you getting a cash refund?

That’s what we requested so fingers crossed!"

Yes, fingers crossed. I think these companies have no choice but to refund, it's just a waiting game.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I think the companies pay tax in the UK

Not what is reported on news channels this morning....but prepared to stand corrected if they are also wrong or not being clear "

Sometimes it is hard to know which report is true, so we never know

over a year ago

"Other European countries have changed the legal rights for refunds, giving more flexibility to the travel companies but not consumers. I wonder if the UK government is watching, as they aren't the strongest on consumers rights etc.

Which?, the Consumers Association, is concerned about the travel companies cashflow situation. Sorry, they should be more concerned with the consumer "

A few weeks ago I’m sure I read that airlines were lobbying for the government to remove the right to refund. I think that’s the reason Virgin Atlantic are dragging out refunds. Hoping for a temporary change in consumer laws. Fair play BA for returning me in 48 hours. Virgin, 6 weeks tomorrow, disgusting.

You mention you think which? should be more concerned with the consumer. On another similar forum post I was called selfish as I said I expected a refund after waiting 5 weeks from me requesting it. Apparently I’m selfish because I should be thinking about the airline and their employees rather than receiving my refund. Some people need their heads reading.

Be interesting if the person who called me selfish was awaiting a £15k refund as another poster is. I’d love to see how patient then they would be. A lot of people perhaps sat in their ivory towers don’t understand how desperate some people are for the returns of their hard earned cash

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

"STA travel owe us some money, we are just using the online county court process, the law is very clear on travel goods/services not delivered

So you can't claim in any other way? Credit card,abta, insurance?"

ABTA and ATOL are complete waste of time , they are like second car warranty , designed to stop you using statutory rights.

Like above said credit cards won’t pay as STA are actively “resolving” it but they are offering minimal credits on a bamba pass - Thailand , various islands, Malaysia, Singapore for future dates that we don't want and flight credits that we won’t use.

The online CCJ is very easy I used a lot in the past to sue companies and individuals, even before it went online , it’s costs around £80 admin plus court fees if it goes that far, it normally doesn’t the threat of a CCJ makes people pay up. I think it has a limit of £10k

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"STA travel owe us some money, we are just using the online county court process, the law is very clear on travel goods/services not delivered

So you can't claim in any other way? Credit card,abta, insurance?

ABTA and ATOL are complete waste of time , they are like second car warranty , designed to stop you using statutory rights.

Like above said credit cards won’t pay as STA are actively “resolving” it but they are offering minimal credits on a bamba pass - Thailand , various islands, Malaysia, Singapore for future dates that we don't want and flight credits that we won’t use.

The online CCJ is very easy I used a lot in the past to sue companies and individuals, even before it went online , it’s costs around £80 admin plus court fees if it goes that far, it normally doesn’t the threat of a CCJ makes people pay up. I think it has a limit of £10k "

That's handy to know, would be interested to know how you get on

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees"

Thank you

By *LUKCouple
over a year ago

Loughborough

I hope people remember in the future which companies acted with good intentions and the ones that didn't.

I fly back and forth to Ireland a few times every year to see family and point blank refuse to use Ryanair. Aer Lingus is usually a bit more expensive but I'd rather pay an extra 20 quid to be treated like a human and to support an airline that has some respect for their customers.

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I hope people remember in the future which companies acted with good intentions and the ones that didn't.

I fly back and forth to Ireland a few times every year to see family and point blank refuse to use Ryanair. Aer Lingus is usually a bit more expensive but I'd rather pay an extra 20 quid to be treated like a human and to support an airline that has some respect for their customers."

Yes, I think we'll all be very careful in the future, who we book with

over a year ago

I booked and paid in full for my summer holiday in June with jet2 , I got an email asking if I wanted a refund or to rebook , I wanted to rebook , still waiting to hear from them to rebook , each week I have been looking at my hotel and fights and now they have gone up from an extra 400 to now 700 , the longer they have my money the more expensive my new holiday is becoming, it’s not good but I cannot get hold from anyone at jet2

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

we booked our bi annual family get together on the Norfolk broads, (don't sound much but a week with family on a boat is a blast)

Anyhow, Hoseasons are saying we can move the holiday to a different date free of charge.... however, all future dates have suddenly been price hiked by up to £400.... and we have to pay the difference in price

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/04/20 19:19:58]

over a year ago

I had £450 of flights booked with easyjet for next month and while it took some finding the refund option is still on their site. My email reply said refund within 28 days which is outside the law but I can live with it.

To be honest I'd have taken the rescheduling or a voucher but when it became obvious that flights would ne cancelled I rebooked flights for January for £250 less so dont want a voucher I may not use for months/years

over a year ago

"

You mention you think which? should be more concerned with the consumer. On another similar forum post I was called selfish as I said I expected a refund after waiting 5 weeks from me requesting it. Apparently I’m selfish because I should be thinking about the airline and their employees rather than receiving my refund. Some people need their heads reading.

Be interesting if the person who called me selfish was awaiting a £15k refund as another poster is. I’d love to see how patient then they would be. A lot of people perhaps sat in their ivory towers don’t understand how desperate some people are for the returns of their hard earned cash "

1. I didn’t say you were selfish for wanting your cash, a number of times i said you are entitled to your cash just give the companies a chance for survival, I said the impatience was selfish, not allowing these companies some breathing space to get some cash back in first will push them under and it will be the employees that suffer

2. The dictionary definition of selfish is concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others. So if all you care about if you getting your cash now and to hell with the bigger picture (which you you have clearly stated many times “the company is not my problem”) then I would say that would be concerned with ones own interests regardless of others no? If you don’t like the description take it up with the cambridge dictionary or maybe revisit your behaviour

3. You are never going to convince me someone who can afford a £15k holiday in the first place is in “desperate” need of cash (to feed their family I think you suggested on the other thread)

People who have booked travel, if they are patient and refuse the credit note have up to 4 options for getting their cash back ...airline, agent, credit card and atol/abta. Their money isn’t really at risk, so yeah my sympathies lie more with the employees about to lose their jobs, income, security

Anyway it’s clear we are never going to see eye to eye on this so this will be the last I get involved in the conversation

By *uietlykinkymeWoman
over a year ago

kinky land

I found ATOL to be fantastic when thomas cook went out of business.

I had paid mostly via direct debit and true to what they said on main stream media, they emailed me and same day, refunded every single payment back into my account in early October. At no point did I have to make a claim or contact them.

Equally Barclays credited every payment I had made on my debit card, they rang me and that cash went back on, within hours and before the ATOL (if my memory serves correctly) so I certainly wouldn't dismiss ATOL or ABTA

I know ABTA were asking customers to take a credit note for cancelled holiday a few weeks ago but I think it depends more on if you can travel at another time and how much longer the planes are grounded for.

over a year ago

Just had a email off my airline,telling me that they will refund 2 months after the lockdown has ended...methinks they will go bust

Anyone had any joy via credit card claims?

over a year ago

"I booked and paid in full for my summer holiday in June with jet2 , I got an email asking if I wanted a refund or to rebook , I wanted to rebook , still waiting to hear from them to rebook , each week I have been looking at my hotel and fights and now they have gone up from an extra 400 to now 700 , the longer they have my money the more expensive my new holiday is becoming, it’s not good but I cannot get hold from anyone at jet2 "

I got a full refund from Jet2 without asking. It was just flights though. Got the refund 2 weeks before I was due to fly. Maybe you could ask for a refund instead.

By *eddy and legsCouple
over a year ago

the wetlands

It's a difficult one

Do I insist on a full refund even if the company doesn't have the necessary cash reserves amd will probs go bust, or do I wait and let them recover so I can still get a sheepish flight next year

The more that go bust the higher the prices will be

Look at flight prices since TC went bust

over a year ago

"Just had a email off my airline,telling me that they will refund 2 months after the lockdown has ended...methinks they will go bust

Anyone had any joy via credit card claims?"

Wow, may I ask who the airline is ?

over a year ago

"Just had a email off my airline,telling me that they will refund 2 months after the lockdown has ended...methinks they will go bust

Wow, may I ask who the airline is ?"

Turkish airlines...you had any dealings with them?

By *ax777Man
over a year ago

Not here

"I found ATOL to be fantastic when thomas cook went out of business.

I had paid mostly via direct debit and true to what they said on main stream media, they emailed me and same day, refunded every single payment back into my account in early October. At no point did I have to make a claim or contact them.

Equally Barclays credited every payment I had made on my debit card, they rang me and that cash went back on, within hours and before the ATOL (if my memory serves correctly) so I certainly wouldn't dismiss ATOL or ABTA

I know ABTA were asking customers to take a credit note for cancelled holiday a few weeks ago but I think it depends more on if you can travel at another time and how much longer the planes are grounded for. "

The ATOL scheme is designed to protect customers who have booked package holidays with a company that has subsequently ceased trading. It won’t pay out on the likes of TUI etc unless they cease trading. Similarly, ABTA’s protection scheme protects a much narrower range of holidays, such as rail, coach or cruise but again only in the event of the holiday company ceasing trading.

I would also suspect that credit card companies will not be falling over themselves to offer refunds when the likes of TUI are still actively trading.

over a year ago

Jet2 were great for a refund on a trip I had booked end of March (with someone from fab *wink*), they were great.... Heard that RyanAir + easyJet have been crap.... look on Reddit for other traveller's advice

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Anyone had any joy via credit card claims?"

So they are breaking the law. They should refund within 7 days, I presume from your flight date. It's worth contacting your credit card company

over a year ago

Wow, may I ask who the airline is ?

Turkish airlines...you had any dealings with them?"

I flew them once couple years back. I won’t even tell u the reason Mrs Nuru didn’t want to fly with them again #firstworldproblems

Personally I found the service decent.

over a year ago

Did anyone see the interview on sky with Michael O’Leary, Ryan air boss ?

He claimed Branson has enough wealth to sort it himself and he shouldn’t receive a loan from the government.

He also said regards Ryanair refunds that it’s gonna take months as they usually have to deal with 10,000 refunds a month and are now dealing with 10,000,000 refunds but only have 25% of the staff to handle it. I still think it’s a delaying tactic and they could do so much more. If you can apply and receive a voucher online, then why not add a refund option to the website also, take pressure off the phone lines and speed up the refund process ?

Why ? Because they don’t want to refund all 10,000,000 flights before they are bringing revenue in again

By *obbly2000Man
over a year ago

Doncaster

Wish I had heard from jet2 cancelled the holiday 5 weeks before trip then 4 weeks before sent my e_tickets not amused still not contacted me

over a year ago

They sadly took this decision with no consultation with owners and offered carpet refunds moving the financial burden to others. East decision for them to take when they’re refunding other people’s money!

A lot of owners are facing Financial issues (not being able to pay mortgages) as guest cancellation insurance isn’t paying out.

over a year ago

"BBC news this morning.So we know all the problems people are having. They are reporting that travel companies are breaking the law by not giving cash refunds on the time scales, 14 days package holiday,7 days on flights.We all know they are inundated, at the moment. So, as has been mentioned before, if you need or want your cash sooner rather than later, put a claim to your card provider. What they have said, if you accept a credit note and the company go bust,you will be covered, if you have the atol/abta protection "
i was told by my bank yesterday you can only do that if ATOL have advised the holiday is cancelled

over a year ago

"What I can’t fathom is. They say they inundated with refund enquiries ... and say they are too busy regards backlog ..but surely it takes same time to give a voucher or longer regards re booking than it takes to refund ????? Or maybes they just happy to give vouchers and re booking than refund us OUR cash ???? Why should we go without when OUR monies are in there banks ???? "

Call centres don’t migrate well to working from home and are typically understaffed as they’re an expensive cost. For the first time ever every single booking is likely to have been canceled. Which makes them a smidge busy

over a year ago

They sadly took this decision with no consultation with owners and offered carpet refunds moving the financial burden to others. East decision for them to take when they’re refunding other people’s money!

A lot of owners are facing Financial issues (not being able to pay mortgages) as guest cancellation insurance isn’t paying out. "

I can sympathize, it’s difficult when all your bookings are cancelled and you have no option but to refund. I think they took the decision to protect air bnb in the future. All the major hotel chains I use, Marriot, IHG group etc etc offered full refunds for bookings during the period. IF air bnb had not done so then I think future wise many many people would not have booked with them again certainly during this uncertain next 6/12 months whatever it will end up being.

How come insurance isn’t paying out, what loophole have they used to wriggle out of this one ?

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Insurers aren’t paying out because very few policies have pandemic cover. A few sensible organisations brought it, Wimbledon/The LTA are one organisation that did, most didn’t.

Travel insurance should pay out, it will depend when the trip(s) were originally booked.

over a year ago

"Insurers aren’t paying out because very few policies have pandemic cover. A few sensible organisations brought it, Wimbledon/The LTA are one organisation that did, most didn’t.

Travel insurance should pay out, it will depend when the trip(s) were originally booked."

Yes thank you but my question specifically was why hasn’t your insurance cancellation paid out for your air bnb booking that was cancelled ?

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

"Insurers aren’t paying out because very few policies have pandemic cover. A few sensible organisations brought it, Wimbledon/The LTA are one organisation that did, most didn’t.

Travel insurance should pay out, it will depend when the trip(s) were originally booked.

Yes thank you but my question specifically was why hasn’t your insurance cancellation paid out for your air bnb booking that was cancelled ? "

Again I’m guessing that the guest cancellation cover has no pandemic cover.

over a year ago

Yes thank you but my question specifically was why hasn’t your insurance cancellation paid out for your air bnb booking that was cancelled ?

Again I’m guessing that the guest cancellation cover has no pandemic cover."

Right ok, thanks for the guess, I would have guessed that maybe also. Will be interesting to hear the actual reason from someone who actually knows, let’s await their response

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

I've 3 separate accommodations booked through Booking.com.

One was happy to refund immediately.

The other two are trying it on. I'm claiming one back on my credit card & the other one I've been told to call Booking.com back on 30 April when they should be able to issue a refund, if hotel is still trying to be difficult.

Also, got through to Booking.com instantly.

over a year ago

Update, anyone has any luck with flight refunds ? Now 7 weeks and counting for my Virgin Atlantic refund ....

over a year ago

here

News coming out this morning that the EU preparing proposals to suspend passenger right to cash refunds by allowing airlines to issue vouchers instead.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"News coming out this morning that the EU preparing proposals to suspend passenger right to cash refunds by allowing airlines to issue vouchers instead.

"

As frustrating as it will be for those trying to get a refund it's possibly the case that with no cash coming in for week's and little reserves a lot of companies will simply go under if they shell out cash now..

If they do there'll be nothing coming back to punters after suppliers, banks etc are paid and there will be more job's lost than what we may yet see..

Rock and a hard place..

over a year ago

here

"News coming out this morning that the EU preparing proposals to suspend passenger right to cash refunds by allowing airlines to issue vouchers instead.

As frustrating as it will be for those trying to get a refund it's possibly the case that with no cash coming in for week's and little reserves a lot of companies will simply go under if they shell out cash now..

If they do there'll be nothing coming back to punters after suppliers, banks etc are paid and there will be more job's lost than what we may yet see..

Rock and a hard place.. "

I agree, a very hard rock, however the customer can' be expected to shoulder the burden of covid19.

over a year ago

"

I remember reading a few weeks back that airlines were asking for that. I’m covered on my ticket as it was a fully refundable ticket booked using a mixture of air miles and cash.

over a year ago

here

I remember reading a few weeks back that airlines were asking for that. I’m covered on my ticket as it was a fully refundable ticket booked using a mixture of air miles and cash."

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think the type of ticket makes a difference, it is more to do with what the airlines responsibility is if the flight is cancelled.

The changes to EC 261/2004 would allow airlines to provide a voucher only rather than having to refund according to the original method of payment.

Sounds like a legal minefield, which i think the UK will still be part of given we have left the EU but are in the transition period.

over a year ago

I remember reading a few weeks back that airlines were asking for that. I’m covered on my ticket as it was a fully refundable ticket booked using a mixture of air miles and cash.

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think the type of ticket makes a difference, it is more to do with what the airlines responsibility is if the flight is cancelled.

The changes to EC 261/2004 would allow airlines to provide a voucher only rather than having to refund according to the original method of payment.

Sounds like a legal minefield, which i think the UK will still be part of given we have left the EU but are in the transition period.

"

You’ll be covered on a reward miles booking, I’ve been credited for the air miles I’m awaiting the taxes to be re paid

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Rock and a hard place..

I agree, a very hard rock, however the customer can' be expected to shoulder the burden of covid19.

"

Agree..

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

Rock and a hard place.. "

Not sure that’s true , travel companies typical business model - take payments upfront, work on commissions and pay suppliers late. So they have extra cashflow, lower costs, reduced revenues. STA made 1.6 billion last year , predominantly in commissions - I.e reselling other peoples travel products at a inflated price.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

So I had a British airways flight cancelled in June to Vienna

(Football was cancelled a few weeks ago, and hotel is free cancellation)

British airways told me both legs are cancelled and I can have a voucher - ummmm no thanks I want cash refund.

So go to use app / website only can get a refund and no additional % for getting a voucher

So contacted them on social media on Wednesday, got asked yesterday would I like a full refund and stated yet again I want a full cash refund.

So am waiting to see. I have given them a reminder that they have till Wednesday to process my cash refund - so let’s see what they come back with

For me British airways should have given the opportunity to either get cash or voucher on website

over a year ago

my money is supposedly being refunded middle of july, still no replies to emails just a general email referring to date of departure and a date for refund based on that date.

By *ax777Man
over a year ago

Not here

Rock and a hard place..

Not sure that’s true , travel companies typical business model - take payments upfront, work on commissions and pay suppliers late. So they have extra cashflow, lower costs, reduced revenues. STA made 1.6 billion last year , predominantly in commissions - I.e reselling other peoples travel products at a inflated price. "

If you’re talking travel agents here ( which I assume as you mention commissions) you couldn’t be further from the truth. All major suppliers, eg TUI and other major tour operators, have them on strict credit terms. The deposits that they collect are paid over to the tour operators on a strict monthly basis, usually by DD. Scheduled air tickets sold have to be paid to IATA by DD via the Bank Settlement Plan twice monthly and Rail tickets sold have again to be paid by DD via the Rail Settlement Plan on a strict monthly basis. Miss either the BSP or RSP payments and your licence is withdrawn. Cash flow is usually not a positive thing for your typical high street travel agent.

As for selling holidays at inflated prices, Travel Agents sell Tour Operators package holidays at the level set by the Tour Operator, for which they receive a set commission. What often happens is that the a Tour Operator will often undercut the price they have set to the agent to encourage the client to book direct with them. The usual commission on package holidays is 10%, they make 3% on rail tickets and air lines stopped paying commission to travel agents about 20 years ago.

I really wouldn’t want to be a travel agent right now. All the holidays that they have sold for this year, for which they will have already received a commission, will be cancelled and the commission reclaimed by the tour operators. So they are in a position where they will not be booking any new business and having to repay tour operators the monies they have already received.

STA is not your average a High Street travel agent, it’s a global business.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"So I had a British airways flight cancelled in June to Vienna

British airways told me both legs are cancelled and I can have a voucher - ummmm no thanks I want cash refund.

So go to use app / website only can get a refund and no additional % for getting a voucher

So contacted them on social media on Wednesday, got asked yesterday would I like a full refund and stated yet again I want a full cash refund.

So am waiting to see. I have given them a reminder that they have till Wednesday to process my cash refund - so let’s see what they come back with

For me British airways should have given the opportunity to either get cash or voucher on website

"

Ba have refunded me today

By *amiss OP   Couple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"So I had a British airways flight cancelled in June to Vienna

Ba have refunded me today "

over a year ago

Read this quote this morning from the travel editor at Which ?

It's true that the travel industry is under enormous strain at the moment but they're not the only ones in difficult circumstances. Lots of people are struggling with money and it's unfair of travel firms to effectively ask them for an interest-free loan. He added that it should not be up to consumers to bail-out struggling firms: The bailout should come from the government.

over a year ago

"Read this quote this morning from the travel editor at Which ?

It's true that the travel industry is under enormous strain at the moment but they're not the only ones in difficult circumstances. Lots of people are struggling with money and it's unfair of travel firms to effectively ask them for an interest-free loan. He added that it should not be up to consumers to bail-out struggling firms: The bailout should come from the government."

i agree they've hung onto my money for two months already and their plan is to hold onto it until end of july the holiday was booked for 26th may 20 its not right, i can't even contact them they tell me nothing

over a year ago

How are people doing claiming their refunds ?

Finally 77 days after requesting it I had a refund from Virgin Atlantic this week.

Ive booked some new flights this week for end of year and I’ve spent them with airlines other than Virgin after my experience with their customer service

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

My advice is just dig in but don’t make a fuss , just know your rights and follow the procedures properly , they will settle rather than have a magistrate tell them to. Mines progressing ok , they haven’t paid out yet but they will , we are discussing additional compensation, I’m purposely pushing beyond what I’ll settle for.

Most people won’t though and they know this

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Cebu City

"How are people doing claiming their refunds ?

Finally 77 days after requesting it I had a refund from Virgin Atlantic this week.

Ive booked some new flights this week for end of year and I’ve spent them with airlines other than Virgin after my experience with their customer service "

What about your virgin miles and tier status ? I have over 300k miles and Gold status so will definitely be using them. I don’t blame them for trying to protect the business, I’d do the same. You got your money back eventually and you know no other airline is as good as VA

over a year ago

I had a refund in a matter of days for a tour operator, sports international. Offered 3 choices of refund, deferral or voucher chose the refund and money back within 4 days.

Easyjet promised a refund within 28 days, but asked not to chase for 90. That was just over 6 weeks ago. To be honest it's not a huge amount (£450) and I dont desperately need the cash back but if it reaches 91 days I think I will escalate it simply because as a company they charge for anything and everything so I am becoming frustrated by the delay

over a year ago

Ive booked some new flights this week for end of year and I’ve spent them with airlines other than Virgin after my experience with their customer service "

not got mine should actually be on holiday now, can't do anything about it so waiting until they refund, its not worth the negativity, its a poor show mind and i for one won't use that company again, appreciate its an unparalleled situation but if it were the opposite way around how would i be treated i wonder

over a year ago

Ive booked some new flights this week for end of year and I’ve spent them with airlines other than Virgin after my experience with their customer service

What about your virgin miles and tier status ? I have over 300k miles and Gold status so will definitely be using them. I don’t blame them for trying to protect the business, I’d do the same. You got your money back eventually and you know no other airline is as good as VA"

I keep gold tier status regardless of how often I fly. I’ve got a few hundred thousand points with them which I’ll use at some point I’m sure. I used to think Virgin UC was the best and for a time it probably was. It’s lagging behind now though. I flew their new UC product in February and wasn’t impressed. The levels of service have also deteriorated greatly over last few years. I’ve booked flights with Qatar and Singapore Airlines this week.

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Just had a car hire refund from a trip we should have been on at Easter, not had the flight yet though and not had a refund for the Monaco Grand Prix that was cancelled before lockdown, waiting on about £4K in total so not impressed really. Supposed to going to Spain 2nd July don’t want to fly yet so will see if it gets cancelled before date changing this one.

over a year ago

Still waiting for a £3k refund from a holiday in March that was cancelled the day after lockdown was announced. Can’t get through, not answering web complaints or social media. Currently waiting on the bank or travel insurance.

By *ust4fun26Couple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

We were booked to fly to America next week and British Airways cancelled on us. The money was back in my account less than two days later - definitely be using them again, they’ve been great. My friends booked with Virgin and were due to fly weeks ago - they were told they don’t have timescales on when to expect the refund

Post new Message to Thread