Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

Next

Jump to newest

By *atricia Parnel OP   Woman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Next have opened for online shopping for a small amount of customer orders today, hopefully this will start the ball rolling with the other retailers to sell online only clothes and homewear goods

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

"Next have opened for online shopping for a small amount of customer orders today, hopefully this will start the ball rolling with the other retailers to sell online only clothes and homewear goods"

Royal Mail and the courier companies are already struggling to manage the volume of online orders, it’s busier than at Christmas! Add in the fact that over 25% of staff are off sick, self isolating or shielding. Oh and not forgetting that the companies have not taken on agency and temporary staff to help out! There is little to no social distancing happening in mail and parcel depots and employers are putting profits before health. Already several postal workers have died, and one worker from Parcelforce’s national sorting facility here in Coventry. All because someone wants to order a dress that they can’t actually wear outside the home because of the lockdown rules! Crazy and irresponsible decision from Next!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52243179

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Next have opened for online shopping for a small amount of customer orders today, hopefully this will start the ball rolling with the other retailers to sell online only clothes and homewear goods

Royal Mail and the courier companies are already struggling to manage the volume of online orders, it’s busier than at Christmas! Add in the fact that over 25% of staff are off sick, self isolating or shielding. Oh and not forgetting that the companies have not taken on agency and temporary staff to help out! There is little to no social distancing happening in mail and parcel depots and employers are putting profits before health. Already several postal workers have died, and one worker from Parcelforce’s national sorting facility here in Coventry. All because someone wants to order a dress that they can’t actually wear outside the home because of the lockdown rules! Crazy and irresponsible decision from Next!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52243179"

Agreed

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

That is handy to know. Thanks.x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Dont shop at the Joe Lycett shitty knicker shop ........ Boo Hoo

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Have they reopened the on line facility?

Earlier today they had to close it again due to demand

over a year ago

"Next have opened for online shopping for a small amount of customer orders today, hopefully this will start the ball rolling with the other retailers to sell online only clothes and homewear goods"

Is it worth killing for? That is what is happening out there, in the real world, people are having to work and be put at risk or loose there job

Essential for some is heartbreak for others

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

I saw it was only open for children's clothes and some household goods but even that had crashed the website within 2 hours!

By *exualPleasuresMan
over a year ago

west Yorkshire

They were shut again by 8:30am, as they’d already exceeded the number of daily orders they can take.

Personally I think it sets a dangerous precedent, while next may say they have put procedures in place to keep staff safe, it does make you question just how safe plus you then get other retailers seeing competitors opening so choose to do so too and they might not have safe working practises in place.

It comes across as opening purely for profit and not because the health situation has improved

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

The clothes shops will be reopening in a few weeks I would imagine anyway.

over a year ago

"The clothes shops will be reopening in a few weeks I would imagine anyway. "

I wouldnt hold your breath

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"The clothes shops will be reopening in a few weeks I would imagine anyway.

I wouldnt hold your breath"

by end of may they will be if not sooner. Places are all slowly going back to work.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

I wouldnt hold your breath by end of may they will be if not sooner. Places are all slowly going back to work. "

I think the grapevine word is another 3 weeks https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dominic-raab-to-announce-lockdown-for-3-more-weeks-j335kmbv0

over a year ago

I've been using H&M, there are still a few clothes retailers operating.

Just takes a lot longer to get your order.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Why are they opening?

Unless it's essential clothing or ppe they're producing then as bad as that is for the employees it's only adding more stress to the delivery system..

Amazon are taking on thousands of people but how much of what they sell is really important at this time..

It seems to be more about having stock and sales means profits..

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

"Why are they opening?

Unless it's essential clothing or ppe they're producing then as bad as that is for the employees it's only adding more stress to the delivery system..

Amazon are taking on thousands of people but how much of what they sell is really important at this time..

It seems to be more about having stock and sales means profits.. "

There is an argument to keep some businesses open, I thinking about Vat and taxes. But Amazon pay a pittance in taxes.

over a year ago

"Next have opened for online shopping for a small amount of customer orders today, hopefully this will start the ball rolling with the other retailers to sell online only clothes and homewear goods

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52243179"

Spot on

over a year ago

"Why are they opening?

It seems to be more about having stock and sales means profits..

There is an argument to keep some businesses open, I thinking about Vat and taxes. But Amazon pay a pittance in taxes."

Aye it's the little mans PAYE they are after no doubt

over a year ago

"I saw it was only open for children's clothes and some household goods but even that had crashed the website within 2 hours!

"

It is only open for that, people need to clothe their kids and get baby items and household goods, I reckon John Lewis will be next especially since they have their own delivery drivers.

over a year ago

I wouldnt hold your breath by end of may they will be if not sooner. Places are all slowly going back to work. "

Yes one by one they will, once they have worked out their social distance strategies for the warehouses and delivery's. b&q are competent at click and collect now

By *abriellajackCouple
over a year ago

Newport

"The clothes shops will be reopening in a few weeks I would imagine anyway. "

I agree. I think this will continue for three more weeks and then they will start to relax it. Schools back open, non essential workers back to work and shops back open, albeit with some social distancing in place.

I think they will also allow people to visit relatives and friends etc. They just won't open the pubs yet or allow mass gatherings.

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Profit before health

over a year ago

And when there’s millions on the dole queue how many people will be whinging about the government then as well?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Dont shop at the Joe Lycett shitty knicker shop ........ Boo Hoo "

That was awful!

I'm not ordering anything from the Internet, due to the risks it imposes on so many people.

Post new Message to Thread