Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Virus

The Cheltenham Gold Cup

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So as it it now seems that we are going to fare worse then any other country in Europe and possibly the world per capita.

Was the not cancelling of the gold cup the catalyst?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"So as it it now seems that we are going to fare worse then any other country in Europe and possibly the world per capita.

Was the not cancelling of the gold cup the catalyst?"

It wasn’t smart for sure.

With London being the epicentre I think it could also be the packing people onto public transport.

over a year ago

"So as it it now seems that we are going to fare worse then any other country in Europe and possibly the world per capita.

With London being the epicentre I think it could also be the packing people onto public transport. "

Yeah I've heard said that the biggest spread came from that event alone...don't know if true though.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

With London being the epicentre I think it could also be the packing people onto public transport. "

It didnt help but there were a few questionable decisions made around that time.

Lpool played athletic Madrid ,so we had 3000 people from 1 of the worst hit Countries in the world walking around the city.

over a year ago

With London being the epicentre I think it could also be the packing people onto public transport.

It didnt help but there were a few questionable decisions made around that time.

Lpool played athletic Madrid ,so we had 3000 people from 1 of the worst hit Countries in the world walking around the city."

I forgot about that...but thank god afterwards when the government were saying it was safe to still go to sports events ...that the football clubs said no,as it could have been far worse.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Lpool played athletic Madrid ,so we had 3000 people from 1 of the worst hit Countries in the world walking around the city.

I forgot about that...but thank god afterwards when the government were saying it was safe to still go to sports events ...that the football clubs said no,as it could have been far worse."

Yep people forget it was the football clubs who made that decision.

over a year ago

I forgot about that...but thank god afterwards when the government were saying it was safe to still go to sports events ...that the football clubs said no,as it could have been far worse.

Yep people forget it was the football clubs who made that decision."

At the time whe the government were saying your more likely to catch it of a friend at home.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

At the time whe the government were saying your more likely to catch it of a friend at home."

Short memories

over a year ago

At the time whe the government were saying your more likely to catch it of a friend at home.

Short memories"

We'll be here to remind them eh

Guided by the science is a word we hear so often...but was it the science or just two cavalier scientists...and maybe some party backers that lead this to esculate so fast.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I know an older guy that was at Cheltenham, he passed away 2 weeks later from the virus.

Coincidence?? Who knows, but definitely a questionable decision to have the event

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

It was a big mistake Cheltenham, Crufts, Brit Awards and other awards. Even Sadiq Khan said get on the tube and keep training for the Marathon.

Maybe they thought the herd immunity strategy would sort things out.

Too bloody late now.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

you can use examples further back than that...

the football team of bergamo, Atalanta, played a champions league tie when all the other games in italy were being called off.. irony being that because their ground isn't big enough 50,000 of their fans ended up going to the game which was then in milan!

mayor of bergamo has called it "the biggest tragic sporting decision made in italy!"

the liverpool decision was madness as if the game had been scheduled to be played in madrid that night it would never had happened!

but yes the decision to hold the cheltenham festival was a huge mistake!

I don't think we are going to see sporting events "with crowds" till at least sept/oct at the earliest...and if someone said till 2021 i would not be surprised!

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

This Topic has been on a few times.

All I will ask is.

- How evident is the epidemic in Gloucestershire

- How much impact on Ireland as min 1/4 of the attendees were from there.

250,000 tickets sold does not mean 250,000 people 4 day event many people attend 2,3 and 4 days.

We do know min 20,000 Irish attend most do the 4 days

over a year ago

"This Topic has been on a few times.

All I will ask is.

250,000 tickets sold does not mean 250,000 people 4 day event many people attend 2,3 and 4 days.

"

Check on BBC info mate

By *atch and blossomCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

We are very close to Cheltenham in that an awful lot of people stay in hotels here and commute to it every year. No spike. No spike from the climate march with Greta either

You can only analyse data after this whole event or perhaps partially through. There will be points of spike and outliers. We will know at the time the data is analysed the rest is conjecture

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

All I will ask is.

"

Hello, have you sources for these numbers? Get some.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Hello, have you sources for these numbers? Get some."

Ref Sources

Cheltenham Race Course - Attendance

Gloucester University - did a study on Irish numbers in 2017 I used that.

The actual numbers they quote are higher tbh i rounded.

BBC - Figures for Cheltenham Covid-19 cases.

I have attended the Festival for over 30 years only missing 1 which was cancelled due to Foot and Mouth.

I attend 4 days (it use to be 3 a day festival)

Does this help my post?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

100% Yes. I used to live not far from Cheltenham in Worcester until a year ago. Not only do the races bring people to Cheltenham, they stay in places in quite a big radius around it, and pack all the pubs, clubs and bars in said places, every year in Worcester a large amount of big groups of very d*unk people cause carnage, they ripped the bog off the wall in my local a few years back. Its a HUGE event and should never have been allowed to go ahead.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

I have attended the Festival for over 30 years only missing 1 which was cancelled due to Foot and Mouth.

Does this help my post?"

Not really tbh, its a bit of a stretch using figures from 3 years ago to work out this years attendance from Ireland. I've seen different figures claimed for the number of Irish that travelled to Cheltenham last month. The figure thats is used for Irish travelling to Cheltenham in 2020 was an ESTIMATED, not MINIMUM 20,000. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/cheltenham-faces-criticism-after-racegoers-suffer-covid-19-symptoms-1.4219458. That number is from both sides of the border. The claim that Irish made up 25% of the attendance is puzzling at best, horseshit at worst.

The attendance figures were

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

So an daily average just shy of 63,000 got together to queue, drink, network. probably shout a lot and you have to question if this highly infectious disease was actually spread at the festival. Without contact tracing its not possible to get accurate numbers but to question the festival wasn't a contagion hotspot can't be taken seriously.

By *ibbyhunterCouple
over a year ago

keighley

nearly 500,000 people a day were still using the London tube system long after Cheltenham,

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"100% Yes. I used to live not far from Cheltenham in Worcester until a year ago. Not only do the races bring people to Cheltenham, they stay in places in quite a big radius around it, and pack all the pubs, clubs and bars in said places, every year in Worcester a large amount of big groups of very d*unk people cause carnage, they ripped the bog off the wall in my local a few years back. Its a HUGE event and should never have been allowed to go ahead."

BBC report

Worcestershire 605 cases / population 595057

Gloucestershire 644 cases / population 633558

Liverpool 882 cases /population 494814

Manchester 643 cases / population 547627

My point is If the Cheltenham Festival is the nucleus of the transmission, why is there not greater numbers in Gloucestershire than Liverpool and Manchester?

Also on Day1 i was on an organised trip of 93 people, one person has communicated they had mild symptoms within the 2 week period. We are from a small town and surrounding villages and a communication email was sent out asking people to report any symptoms.

Im not defending the decision or against it.

These are just facts for people to draw their own conclusions.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"nearly 500,000 people a day were still using the London tube system long after Cheltenham,"

Exactly!

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Not really tbh, its a bit of a stretch using figures from 3 years ago to work out this years attendance from Ireland. I've seen different figures claimed for the number of Irish that travelled to Cheltenham last month. The figure thats is used for Irish travelling to Cheltenham in 2020 was an ESTIMATED, not MINIMUM 20,000. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/cheltenham-faces-criticism-after-racegoers-suffer-covid-19-symptoms-1.4219458. That number is from both sides of the border. The claim that Irish made up 25% of the attendance is puzzling at best, horseshit at worst.

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

So an daily average just shy of 63,000 got together to queue, drink, network. probably shout a lot and you have to question if this highly infectious disease was actually spread at the festival. Without contact tracing its not possible to get accurate numbers but to question the festival wasn't a contagion hotspot can't be taken seriously."

No but stating 250,000 individual people is very very misleading.

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Cheltenham probably didn’t help but then you can say what about every weekend premiership , championship , league 1 & 2 and national league football.I feel that the government underestimated just how bad this Coronavirus was going to be.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

So an daily average just shy of 63,000 got together to queue, drink, network. probably shout a lot and you have to question if this highly infectious disease was actually spread at the festival. Without contact tracing its not possible to get accurate numbers but to question the festival wasn't a contagion hotspot can't be taken seriously."

Ref Irish attendance, the 20,000 figure is being quoted in the press.

The 2017 are reliable figures, it is expected that there was a year on year increase from Ireland so I am actually understating.

You can argue all day if you like its up to you.

What evidence would you need to acknowledge an estimated number?

Would you care to offer your own estimate and rational?

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

So an daily average just shy of 63,000 got together to queue, drink, network. probably shout a lot and you have to question if this highly infectious disease was actually spread at the festival. Without contact tracing its not possible to get accurate numbers but to question the festival wasn't a contagion hotspot can't be taken seriously.

The 2017 are reliable figures, it is expected that there was a year on year increase from Ireland so I am actually understating.

Would you care to offer your own estimate and rational?"

Irish Press i should state

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"Cheltenham probably didn’t help but then you can say what about every weekend premiership , championship , league 1 & 2 and national league football.I feel that the government underestimated just how bad this Coronavirus was going to be."

Very true indeed!

over a year ago

Could I just throw into this that 1000s of brits also went to benidorm for this event as it's too expensive to get accommodation at Cheltenham...this was at a time when Spain was just going into a lockdown..they even closed all the bars during the event.

Then all them brits travelled home spreading the virus.

I dont know the numbers who went but I would be interested if someone does.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

"Could I just throw into this that 1000s of brits also went to benidorm for this event as it's too expensive to get accommodation at Cheltenham...this was at a time when Spain was just going into a lockdown..they even closed all the bars during the event.

I dont know the numbers who went but I would be interested if someone does. "

I think a lot if them would of still gone to Benidorm even if the event was cancelled!

Or am I wrong?

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Would you care to offer your own estimate and rational?"

Do you agree the estimated is not a synonym of minimum? Even if you assumed the total number of Irish that travelled stayed for four days, they still wouldn't make total 25% of the total attendance, they wouldn't make up 10% of the total attendance. There's an irony in your post of describing someone else's use statistics as misleading.

Does the 2017 study you cite factor in the 2020 pandemic, and the fact that Ireland was already going into lockdown before Cheltenham?

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Do you agree the estimated is not a synonym of minimum? Even if you assumed the total number of Irish that travelled stayed for four days, they still wouldn't make total 25% of the total attendance, they wouldn't make up 10% of the total attendance. There's an irony in your post of describing someone else's use statistics as misleading.

Does the 2017 study you cite factor in the 2020 pandemic, and the fact that Ireland was already going into lockdown before Cheltenham?"

There was a minor reduction on attendance but not significant. Chelt know who they sell tickets too and post them well in advance so. So the correlation between demographic studies, ticket sales I feel are still valid.

If the pre-booked accommodation figures were available we could also use this as a guide.

My figures do have substance and I will stand by them.

Can you offer an accurate figure which you would like to offer?

Did you attend? Do you normally attend? Did you choose not to go?

Irish attendees have been written about/ reported jn uk and indicating my figures are genuine clearly you have more information than you are bot willing to share.

Unless you wish to offer some facts it pointless us debating any further. Unless you have another message you wish to convey?

At this point I will stick with the facts i quote and form my opinion from those.

Look forward to you providing evidence to change my mind.

If you just want to argue, I’m not that interested tbh.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Does the 2017 study you cite factor in the 2020 pandemic, and the fact that Ireland was already going into lockdown before Cheltenham?

There was a minor reduction on attendance but not significant. Chelt know who they sell tickets too and post them well in advance so. So the correlation between demographic studies, ticket sales I feel are still valid.

If the pre-booked accommodation figures were available we could also use this as a guide.

Irish attendees have been written about/ reported jn uk and indicating my figures are genuine clearly you have more information than you are bot willing to share.

Unless you wish to offer some facts it pointless us debating any further. Unless you have another message you wish to convey?

At this point I will stick with the facts i quote and form my opinion from those.

"

i missed off the comments regarding attendance percentages.

For the sake of maths the following is an example

Total ticket sales 240000

15000 people attend 4 days

Thats 60,000 ticket sales but still only 15000 people.

Therefor those 15000 people would be responsible for 25% of the total attendance.

Is that correct? Or am I miles off the mark ?

over a year ago

"Could I just throw into this that 1000s of brits also went to benidorm for this event as it's too expensive to get accommodation at Cheltenham...this was at a time when Spain was just going into a lockdown..they even closed all the bars during the event.

I dont know the numbers who went but I would be interested if someone does.

I think a lot if them would of still gone to Benidorm even if the event was cancelled!

Or am I wrong?"

Probably would have if left to their own devices...at the time I thought it was crazy and the flights should have stopped. But I'm just Joe public and not the Gov.

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Therefor those 15000 people would be responsible for 25% of the total attendance.

"

The daily and total figures I cited above are accurate, attempting to conflate wuth ticket sales and distribution is pure conjecture on your part, None of this baseless conjecture changes that for 4 days with an daily average attendance of approx 63,000 gathered for the Cheltenham festival.

I really don't see how you can claim that an estimated 20,000 Irish attending can make up 25% of the total 251,684 attended. It doesn't add up. We don't know the duration of their stay and that estimated figure of 20,000 accounts for travellers from both sides of the border

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

The daily and total figures I cited above are accurate, attempting to conflate wuth ticket sales and distribution is pure conjecture on your part, None of this baseless conjecture changes that for 4 days with an daily average attendance of approx 63,000 gathered for the Cheltenham festival.

I really don't see how you can claim that an estimated 20,000 Irish attending can make up 25% of the total 251,684 attended. It doesn't add up. We don't know the duration of their stay and that estimated figure of 20,000 accounts for travellers from both sides of the border"

Nobody is disputing the widely published attendee figures which you cite.

I’ll ask one more time if you would like to offer your estimates

I think you are getting fogged by the Irish element. The post is definitely not Anti-Irish, I’m proud to say that my Grand Parents are from Irish Decent.

My point in all of this is that the Cheltenham Festival is being cited as the nucleus of the spread of the disease. I think it is unfair and is just deflection.

Has the Ireland suffered because of the festival?

Gloucestershire

Worcestershire

Do not appear to be above national average in fact they are below the likes of Manchester and Liverpool.

Note my maths example, I say people not from where they hail from.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

I really don't see how you can claim that an estimated 20,000 Irish attending can make up 25% of the total 251,684 attended. It doesn't add up. We don't know the duration of their stay and that estimated figure of 20,000 accounts for travellers from both sides of the border

I think you are getting fogged by the Irish element. The post is definitely not Anti-Irish, I’m proud to say that my Grand Parents are from Irish Decent.

My point in all of this is that the Cheltenham Festival is being cited as the nucleus of the spread of the disease. I think it is unfair and is just deflection.

Gloucestershire

Worcestershire

Do not appear to be above national average in fact they are below the likes of Manchester and Liverpool.

"

Anyway final note I personally attend 4 days so the total number of attendees is wrong please deduct 3 from accurate total.

I would also deduct 3 for each of the following who I saw there

AP McCoy

JP MacManus

R Walsh

My Mate Pete

By *oggoneMan
over a year ago

Derry

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Gloucestershire

Worcestershire

"

Well it was you that brought up the number of Irish erroneously. Where your or my grandparents hail from is of no relevance. There is no question that the Cheltenham festival contributed to the spread of the Virus. As I already stated, without contact tracing, we can't accurately assess how much it contributed to the spread. Offering my own estimate would add no more to the discussion than yours has done so. Up to your post I didn't see anyone consider or reject the idea cheltenham was the nucleus.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

All I will ask is.

Ref Sources

Does this help my post?

Tuesday - 60,664

Wednesday - 56,943

Thursday - 65,218

Friday - 68,859

Total 251,684

Gloucestershire

Worcestershire

Well it was you that brought up the number of Irish erroneously. Where your or my grandparents hail from is of no relevance. There is no question that the Cheltenham festival contributed to the spread of the Virus. As I already stated, without contact tracing, we can't accurately assess how much it contributed to the spread. Offering my own estimate would add no more to the discussion than yours has done so. Up to your post I didn't see anyone consider or reject the idea cheltenham was the nucleus."

For someone who is so data driven, can you show me the evidence to support your words “There is no question that the Cheltenham festival contributed to the spread of the Virus”

Or are statistics only important when you can attempt to challenge others?.

I refer you too the published figures in Gloucestershire and Worcestershire that show no spike compared to the remainder of the country during the 2 week period post festival.

By *uckymooMan
over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

Out of interest here is another report from 2017

30% of Attendance attributed to 14343 people.

Maybe my 25% was understated, if so I apologise.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/irish-fans-spent-€22-million-attending-Cheltenham-Festival/

Hopefully my final words on the subject

250,000 tickets sold is a distinct inflation or the total number of people who attended.

5 weeks on Gloucestershire and Worcestershire still do not have high percentages of recorded cases.

With this in mind, I believe it is unfair of the press to continuously singling out the Cheltenham festival for spreading the virus.

When you also consider there are also many areas which are segregated ie Tatts, County. Best Mate, boxes etc its much less risk than

Other events

Nothing else I can add.

Stay safe and wash your hands

Post new Message to Thread