Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to World Wide

Early thoughts for next year - France - camping caravan

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anybody interested in forming a small group of "friends" for next summer to hang together for sun, food, wine and fun, probably in the South of France. If not camping / caravaning, others might join on some basis for the odd day as suits. An English speaking fun enclave within the land of the frog. If you think this could be fun, and are prepared to do your whack to make it work, reply and say a bit about what you think and when might suit. Clearly one period doesn't suit everybody. Clearly also, it's adults only.

Go for it!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

Happy to meet up with folks if you plan anything down our way.

There are numerous naturist camp sites in this area and we're willing to help with arranging suitable sites.

We're here all year but it's certainly cheaper in May or June. Early September is also a really nice time to visit.

Have Fun....

By *YLINDERCouple
over a year ago

CARDIFF

We are here now but nothing interesting going on at this campsite : (

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"We are here now but nothing interesting going on at this campsite : ( "
your on the wrong site?

over a year ago

Just a quick point of reference. If towing it's probably going to take 2/3 days traveling - don't wild camp as gangs of eastern Europeans are gasing people in their vans and robbing them. Just a word of warning.

over a year ago

Just a quick point of reference. If towing it's probably going to take 2/3 days traveling - don't wild camp as gangs of eastern Europeans are gasing people in their vans and robbing them. Just a word of warning.

By *YLINDERCouple
over a year ago

CARDIFF

Yes we are !

over a year ago

Stick to the service area's, safety in numbers - avoid the isolated aires on the motorways.

By *eeandGeeMan
over a year ago

littlehampton

See our profile - but we spend all summer at our home here near LODEVE - big secluded house and pool and we love people to call in for a glass of the local beverage and who knows what else!

Plenty of room to park a van!

Get in touch

Bill & Gee xxx

over a year ago

Thanks to all. We have a place about half way to Cap in the Charantes so it's not hard to sort you out if you are in difficulties with the trip. We have, outside the forum, had one reply from a single guy interested in a joint venture next year. Keep expressions of interest coming please. If possible, give us a way to keep in contact with you.

over a year ago

Thanks for that.

over a year ago

Must be early days, with only a few replies?

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

"Just a quick point of reference. If towing it's probably going to take 2/3 days traveling - don't wild camp as gangs of eastern Europeans are gasing people in their vans and robbing them. Just a word of warning."

At the risk of starting an argument here, I think this has been debunked as an Urban Myth by the Royal College of Anaesthetists - it is simply too difficult to administer the right amount of any gas to knock people out without making a hell of a racket with compressors. As the Russian police found out when they tried to free hostages in a cinema, it's very easy to kill people inside (they accidentally killed 130 hostages!)and the gases you would need are neither cheap nor easy to stroll in off the street and buy. Ether and chloroform aren't instant, even when applied with a cloth over the face, and have a pungent odour which would linger the next day.

I'm not saying people don't get robbed whilst travelling, but it's a common scam to claim you've just been robbed of everything and beg €100 from a fellow Brit to get you out of the shit. Mugs like me, who want to see the best in anyone, and hope that I'd find a Samaritan to trust me if I was in that situation and stranded, fall for that one all the time, despite us knowing it's a scam. I guess we always think "what if this is the one genuine case? It could be me standing there".

With the camper vans, it's been suggested that people on holiday get all Continental, relax and enjoy a couple of glasses of vino and then sleep soundly as thieves break in through unlocked doors or open windows. Even without some booze with dinner, many people don't sleep half as lightly as they think, and practised villains can be very stealthy.

Alarm systems in the vans don't get armed because the occupant moving inside sets them off. I think it is advised that people install an old fashioned drawbolt and lock inside the door to prevent it being opened by anyone who has mastered the art of springing a Transit door lock.

IIRC, most people who have undeniably robbed in the middle of the night in their camper van have had a bite to eat somewhere nearby and the speculation is that they have had something slipped in their drink then which brings on a deep sleep.

The advice is good though to be aware of your surroundings and find somewhere safe to sleep. God knows I've just set up my tarp and hammock in some stupid places, and it wasn't until it was pointed out to me that it would be obvious to any villain I'm carrying a nice valuable passport, cash and cards, and alone, would be an easy target, that I stopped trying to find quiet, out of the way places and now will sleep propped up underneath the cashier window at a service station in full view if I'm desperate for 40 winks!

Municipal campsites are pretty easy to find, especially if you put them into your Satnav POI files before you leave, and are generally clean, cheap and safe enough.

Why are my posts always like War & Peace? Does anyone ever read them all the way through?

By *exy BeckyCouple
over a year ago

Agde

You're absolutely right Wolf.

It's a story that comes up year after year. It sounds plausible upon first reading, but it's just not possible.

There isn't one case where it has been proved. The local police just accept that's what happened and perpetuate the myth. Then someone comes along and says 'we heard it happened to friends of friends' etc, and so it goes on.

It all started a while back when lorry drivers were asleep in their cab and called the police when their trailer was mysteriously missing when they woke up from being 'gassed'. Ask any trucker and they will tell you it's a load of old cobblers.

A couple were convicted of fraud a few years back, claiming it happened to them. Their insurance company smelt a rat and the couple were forced to admit that it was a lie.

I have a copy of the letter from the RCA if anyone's interested....

The amount of gas required it critical. That's why it takes more than 10 years to qualify as an anesthetist.

But the advice re wild camping is sound, there are plenty of municipal sites around.

If common sense prevails, camping and caravanning are pretty darn safe hobbies....

By *ce cream and custardCouple
over a year ago

Droitwich

We are up for it in burgendy now been away for last three weeks around Europe

Post new Message to Thread