Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

The Reasosn Why I Won't be at the Notting Hill Carnival

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I remember when:

• carnival went on all night and did not shut at 7pm

• Caribbean food was served by little old ladies outside their house and curry goat had meat and not bones and it was not served by commercial enterprises that will be back looking for a michelin star on Tuesday

• Wherever you walked you were not 3 yards from a sound system

• The police did not send you two miles out of your way to go 200 yards in a straight line (Notting Hill was my childhood stomping ground I know it well)

• The crescents in Holland Park were not filled with riot police held in reserve

• People who smoked dope on the street would not get visit from the police a week or two after the police had considered the videos

• (Just) when there was not such a crush that the police did not have to step in and control the flow of visitors.

For what it's worth my rules of carnival.

You don't need jewelry or expensive camera or more than £30 cash

Bring water or be ready to pay for it, don't just drink alcohol

Pick up one of the free maps

Leave your ego at home, some people will start a fight for nothing.

Remember where the toilets are or you end up pissing against a wall. It's worse for women as you can end up on someone's video having a desperate piss between cars. Luckily for women these days the official women's toilets outnumber the men's

Meanwhile Gardens is a nice place to chill.

Just off the bottom of Golbourne road is the Latin salsa sound system a great place to be.

All Saints Road has great sounds but the road gets seriously rammed.

Unless I have an after party I start heading for the station half an hour before it closes. The police start closing the roads to drive people off the street half an hour before closure. They generally change all the routes in order to herd people off the street. So if you don't want to be stuck in a queue head off early.

These days I find Sunday has a nicer vibe, Monday attracts the teens with attitude.

Most importantly chill and enjoy and not too much Wray and Nephews rum.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *revaunanceCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

And not being able to spell reason must be up there?

over a year ago

Lol, writing posts at 4am not a good idea.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There are very good reasons why the carnival doesn't go on until 7am anymore. In the old days it wasn't so big for starters. Personally I don't see the need for an all night carnival xxx

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i know there are a lot of discussions between friends about whether to go this year before its doesn't feel quite right celebrating and dancing and having a good time, but if you look up you can see a graveyard in grenfall tower.....

my sister has taken my niece today... but had lots of reservations....

over a year ago

I'm going to tomorrow

A bit nervous of fuckery though

By *asha xTV/TS
over a year ago

west london

When the sun goes down, atmosphere changes, time to leave

over a year ago

"And not being able to spell reason must be up there?"

call d'a spelling police

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

"When the sun goes down, atmosphere changes, time to leave"

That's exactly what two of my friends (who dance in the parade each year) said earlier today...

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I have never been

By *carlettxWoman
over a year ago

Essex

Cos I was at Eureka lol

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

shouldn't even be happening, all local shops pubs and houses even have to board up there windows and have fences erected to protect there property's.

causes so much trouble, not like what carnivals are about, in this country is just about crime, riot, smashing up anything, fire and fights, stabbings.

over a year ago

The reason I won't be at Notting Hill Carnival is because it is shit.

By *ieman300Man
over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"The reason I won't be at Notting Hill Carnival is because it is shit."

Dont sit on the fence now will ya

over a year ago

Is it really that violent? I'm up north so never been...I just thought the media hyped up the trouble??

Apologies to the grammar police if I've 'missed ip'

over a year ago

Been twice ,great vibe but agree with people once it went dark some different people came out the wood work but I'd go again as I've travelled all over the world ,it reminded me of rio at the football some creatures after dark but amazing .

By *laytimenowMan
over a year ago

Essex

Cos i cant be arsed to get on the tube in east & travel west .

Its a blinding Event

By *GLuke86Man
over a year ago

Hampshire

Was there yesterday, no complaints had a great day

By *ilk_TrayMan
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I've been there a few times back in the days and loved it.

Great vibes, great food, everyone happy and enjoying themselves especially when the weather is sunny.

I'd recommended anyone to go only if its just once to experience it.

I've been to other carnivals around the country and they just don't compare.

By *s_from_71Couple
over a year ago

Coventry

We've never heard positive things about the Carnaval. Whenever we see it mentioned either on the news or in a variety of blogs and forums (Including a policeman's blog) it just seems pretty poor.

The level of criminality, people going for a fight or other nastiness put's us right off...

Until that changes or is reported in the media / blogs with regard to changes then we'll be staying put.

M & J

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

I went yesterday with my family and it was great! No trouble, good vibes, good food and good music.

As mentioned earlier, go and experience it for yourself at least once. I know many people that have then they end up going religiously every year!

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Been many times, never seen any trouble before or after nightfall.

Had many fantastic times there. Like with many events, your own attitude will dictate your likely experience.

By *itzimadCouple
over a year ago

harwich

we used to go from mid eighties till a few years ago as the OP said its a shadow of its former self its been hijacked by the middle classes in the same way as festivals

hate the one way system as it stops you alternating between your fave systems unless you go right round and yes food is now imitation Caribbean mostly half cooked made to maximize profits

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Was there yesterday, no complaints had a great day "

yesterday (sunday) is children's day.... monday is the day all the "adults" go!!!

but the others are right... as soon as sunset comes its was an entirely different atmosphere...

I use to get out there sharpish......

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

"Been many times, never seen any trouble before or after nightfall.

Had many fantastic times there. Like with many events, your own attitude will dictate your likely experience."

This

over a year ago

"

We've never heard positive things about the Carnaval. Whenever we see it mentioned either on the news or in a variety of blogs and forums (Including a policeman's blog) it just seems pretty poor.

The level of criminality, people going for a fight or other nastiness put's us right off...

Until that changes or is reported in the media / blogs with regard to changes then we'll be staying put.

M & J"

Honestly given the number of people that go the criminal offences are tiny. Proportionally there is more trouble at football matches.

If you have not gone I would recommend the Sunday without reservation for a newbie.

But for me it is a shadow of its former self.

over a year ago

I've been to Carnival loads of times and also loads of various other festivals and in my experience there is a lot more trouble and fuckery at other festivals than there is at carnival. It just gets more air time in the media at carnival.

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

It's no secret that they've been trying to shut it down for years.

As people have pointed out, other events see more trouble than Notting Hill yet we never hear about it.

Funny that..

over a year ago

I had an amaaaaazing time ...and seen no trouble

Agree with above comment ...at festivals and outdoor house events I go to in Wales there is always fights ..trouble ..people kod off ketamine etc yet it's rarely mentioned. . Nottinghill gets a lot of bad press when in reality I think everyone was just having a good time with very little drama

over a year ago

"I had an amaaaaazing time ...and seen no trouble

Agree with above comment ...at festivals and outdoor house events I go to in Wales there is always fights ..trouble ..people kod off ketamine etc yet it's rarely mentioned. . Nottinghill gets a lot of bad press when in reality I think everyone was just having a good time with very little drama "

shame we didn't bump into each other

Post new Message to Thread