Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

Depression

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone suffered with depression and come throught it. Im struggling .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have mate. It takes along time. After 4yrs of being diagnosed still get bouts of it. Citalapram helps

over a year ago

It helped you maybe. But are you a doctor?

over a year ago

No. OP asked if anyone had suffered & got through it & i have

over a year ago

Depression is very common nowadays unfortunately. I hope you have a good support network and your GP is supportive?

over a year ago

"Has anyone suffered with depression and come throught it. Im struggling ."

It's very difficult, I was diagnosed when I was 19, it hit it's peak when I was 20-23, then it was triggered a year ago and I'm only just really starting to feel considerably better.

My advice is this, consult with your GP with it, maybe ask abut medication if he doesn't suggest it, it's not a taboo and it does help.

Look to go onto a counselling service - through the NHS the waiting list is going to be high, so look for local mental health charities as a more professional support network, if you have spare money, or you can adjust your budget accordingly look into a private practitioner. Shop about, I think £50 a session is the average - it might seem a lot but really it's just a case of for a few weeks cutting back on luxury food a drink.

Outside this look at mindfulness and CBD, they might sound a bit loopy but they are proven by physiological studies to really help.

Aside from that, regular exercise, exposure to sunlight, avoidance of alcohol and a good diet rich in fruit, veg and Omega-3 fish oils will also help.

By *omisNWMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Rude.

Recommend any weight loss pills?

Help and offer advice, don't criticise.

over a year ago

Who was this aimed at?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone in the southampton area

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

For me mine was triggered by work and family illness.

I still go back in to a down place but I know the triggers so if I feel I am going in to that place I go to the gym or go out for a walk with my camera.

For me I was on fluoxetine and had counciling. When I tell people they are suprised because I am a chatty person

I would say you have to find what works for you be it counciling, medicen

over a year ago

Yes twice. Didn't go with DOCTORS advise first time and had to figure it out myself. I had a relapse in January and got help. Keep active even if its only a ten minute walk a day. Keep doing hobbies and meeting people socially. Keep life as routine as possible, getting up and doing stuff. Do talk to doctor or cpm.I'm a peer supporter for a MH charity now.

over a year ago

"Rude.

Help and offer advice, don't criticise. "

Who was being rude?

By *onbons_xxMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Lots of support out there but it's more common than you'd think. Good luck.

over a year ago

Yes have ptsd but last bad time years ago but know that I can control it so it doesn't control me any more

over a year ago

Yes, I've suffered depression on and off, most recently last year and I was put on citalopram (40mg) and that eventually helped, it made everything less overwhelming, although the sadness, feeling of worthlessness was still there etc it was at a level I could cope with it (if that makes sense).

It's a long road, and sometimes you have to jiggle the medication and take the counselling, but if it helps you then it's worth it. An understanding Dr makes all the difference too.

Good luck OP X

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

One in four people will be diagnosed with a mental health issue this year. -MIND.

75% of those will be with depression.

CBT works!! the drugs help you manage it, mindfulness will help with your recovery but you have to get the root cause sorted first.

Pester your GP to get you the help you need.

over a year ago

I've got general anxiety disorder that bad enough hence the reason for on here to let go a little

over a year ago

"Rude.

Help and offer advice, don't criticise. "

pot kettle

over a year ago

"I have mate. It takes along time. After 4yrs of being diagnosed still get bouts of it. Citalapram helps"

Agreed, personally I've found Citalopram to be very useful, it helps takes the edge off your anxieties, and in my experience the side effects are pretty mild.

Something I find with my own battle with depression, is just tell yourself to hold on, and fight back. You're a man, look inside yourself and find your spirit, and let your depression be nothing more than a dark cloud in the sky, just waiting for a strong wind to blow it aside so the sun can shine again - and if it's night time when it does, dance in the light of the stars and the moon.

over a year ago

I've had it for 17 years. Medication helps me; I take Paroxetine. Citalopram made me worse after two weeks. You will get through it,you may feel different after but you can get past the bad stages,with help. Try anything and everything.

By *ndonmaleMan
over a year ago

Preston

Acceptance that something isn't right is very positive.

I had a breakdown about 4 years ago.

The second positive thing you can do is see your GP.

Mine put me on Citalopram, it helped a lot. My GP then helped me get off it after a few months. I put mine down to a seasonal disorder.

The following year as soon as the clocks went forward (October) I slipped back again. Back to my GP and the same process although a shorter period of time.

Occasionally and I felt it about three weeks ago I just didn't feel right and I knew the big black dog was close by me again.

Fortunately I could take some time out for a week, I also have a good network of friends who were there the night I had a breakdown and are still there now if I need them.

Knowing the triggers help, your friends will also know your triggers. One very close friend knew I wasn't myself when he called and I ignored his call, I messaged to say I'm watching a film. That was enough for him to know I wasn't well.

Depression can happen to anyone, don't be afraid to ask for help. It's the best thing I did when it hit me.

over a year ago

I have and it's horrible was on tablets for 18 months and took myself off them and educated my mind to keep positive I'm not saying it's easy and still have some hard days......I now know when the bad times are coming and able to have some kinda control over them if that makes sense.......once you have suffered I don't think it ever really goes away you just have some control over the depression

By *piritsonfabCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

My daughter is suffering.... Her GP asked her last appointment how long she was going to keep coming to him saying the same thing....

Sigh

over a year ago

"My daughter is suffering.... Her GP asked her last appointment how long she was going to keep coming to him saying the same thing....

Sigh"

Think you need to try a new GP that's shocking.......bless her

over a year ago

"My daughter is suffering.... Her GP asked her last appointment how long she was going to keep coming to him saying the same thing....

Sigh"

It's harsh and rude and not the way to address her illness BUT is the GP right? Is she doing something to help herself or stuck in a rut? If she's not trying to change it, it'll stay the same.

By *otGeorgeClooneyMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's a tough fight as others have said.

Recognize it and know that there are many ways to contain it and hopefully overcome it.

Just be mindful honest and caring with yourself.

Warning RE Citalopram, I found that it can stop me cumming but do stay hard for ages. which the ladies enjoy. though they get frustrated at not making me cum.

Look after yourself and know that you're not alone.

over a year ago

I've been on anti depressants since I was 18 , I have lots of counselling and I know this is not curable but manageable .

It's good days and bad days and knowing how to deal with my desperate moods

over a year ago

"One in four people will be diagnosed with a mental health issue this year. -MIND.

75% of those will be with depression.

CBT works!! the drugs help you manage it, mindfulness will help with your recovery but you have to get the root cause sorted first.

Pester your GP to get you the help you need. "

It was one in four in your life, but has gone up since 2012

By *piritsonfabCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Sigh

It's harsh and rude and not the way to address her illness BUT is the GP right? Is she doing something to help herself or stuck in a rut? If she's not trying to change it, it'll stay the same. "

Surely by seeing her GP she is addressing it? How else is she supposed to get help? If anyone ever says they have a mental problem the first recommendation is always "see your GP"....

over a year ago

"It's a tough fight as others have said.

Recognize it and know that there are many ways to contain it and hopefully overcome it.

Warning RE Citalopram, I found that it can stop me cumming but do stay hard for ages. which the ladies enjoy. though they get frustrated at not making me cum.

Look after yourself and know that you're not alone. "

I can still cum but less often.I'm also on Tamsulosim so don't ejaculate but I get by.

over a year ago

Sigh"

Thankfully the rest of support is better imho.

over a year ago

"It's a tough fight as others have said.

Look after yourself and know that you're not alone. "

Mental health first. Everything else second.

over a year ago

Yes you are never cured in my opinion. Some people are prone to depression. There can be a genetic link. So doc tells me. I've been on various antidepressants over the last 8. Finally found one that suits. I just take every day as it comes. But still have dark days despite meds. Always best see a doc. To make sure there are nothing physical causing your symptoms first. But yes you can feel better. Good luck.

over a year ago

I lost a lot of close family members when I was young one was my brother I witnessed him get knocked over by a car which lead to years of battling depression which I'm not ashamed to admit to anyone.it's such a hard thing to deal with people who dont suffer from it think it's just you feeling sorry for your self but if you have had its not that at all I see a psychologist I have done on and off for years and the one thing I've taken from it is I do what makes me happy and feels right

over a year ago

"Acceptance that something isn't right is very positive.

I had a breakdown about 4 years ago.

The second positive thing you can do is see your GP.

Mine put me on Citalopram, it helped a lot. My GP then helped me get off it after a few months. I put mine down to a seasonal disorder.

The following year as soon as the clocks went forward (October) I slipped back again. Back to my GP and the same process although a shorter period of time.

Occasionally and I felt it about three weeks ago I just didn't feel right and I knew the big black dog was close by me again.

Fortunately I could take some time out for a week, I also have a good network of friends who were there the night I had a breakdown and are still there now if I need them.

Knowing the triggers help, your friends will also know your triggers. One very close friend knew I wasn't myself when he called and I ignored his call, I messaged to say I'm watching a film. That was enough for him to know I wasn't well.

Depression can happen to anyone, don't be afraid to ask for help. It's the best thing I did when it hit me. "

I am lucky to havE a netwOrk of friends and we all watch each other. Done have dePression some polar some psychosis.

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

"Has anyone suffered with depression and come throught it. Im struggling .

Yes you are never cured in my opinion. Some people are prone to depression. There can be a genetic link. So doc tells me. I've been on various antidepressants over the last 8. Finally found one that suits. I just take every day as it comes. But still have dark days despite meds. Always best see a doc. To make sure there are nothing physical causing your symptoms first. But yes you can feel better. Good luck."

Not everyone who gets depressed will be depressed forever. The majority of depression is reactive to a situation so with pills if needs be but most importantly psychological input a lot will never experience depression again.

over a year ago

I've had depression all my life since I was in my early teens ,been on every antidepessive going ,some even made it worse ,I've hit rock bottom 5 times and try end my life ,I've seen countless shrinks ,waste of time they have no idea what you are going through ... A year ago I was told had fibromyalgia and was put on Duloxetine ,it works ,I'm a lot happier and no anxiety and I'm at peace with my self ,life is so much better for me now I enjoy it ...

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Yep, several times, and it still lurks in the shadows. If I lower my guard, I'll get hit again, and I never want to be in the position I was 20-odd years ago.

The Quack didn't help me, so my way was the drugs and alcohol route. NOT RECOMMENDED, just my experience.

It taught me I'm unbreakable, and I still go down this route to a certain extent nowadays. The trick is stopping before reaching the end of the rails. The danger is that one day I might find that I am not as bullet-proof as I appear to have been...

(Oh, and distancing myself from firearms when I can feel the clouds rolling up has been rather wise too.)

Like I said, NOT RECOMMENDED.

For me, the real key to getting through is being ready for it - I always feel it in the air and know it's coming, so make preparations and can keep my head down until the sun comes out again.

Telling friends and family, without being a whiny pussy, was a good move (I know that everyone has their own problems to contend with, if they are constantly having to hear doom and gloom, they may miss the alarm bells that say "HELP! NOW!!THIS IS NOT A DRILL")

They sometimes see it coming before I do. They know not to fuss, but keep a discrete eye on the situation. I don't do all the talking and baring my soul thing, it doesn't work FOR ME. Your meal may vary.

My best advice for you, and this is sincere, is to hide your profile on here and don't come here until you are chipper again.

This website, and others like it, are pretty shite for any single man at the best of times, they can be a really bad thing for one's confidence and happiness if you are feeling vulnerable. You'll go from feeling slightly under the weather to being under the waves in a short space of time when you see you have no mail, the ones you sent have been deleted unread, and EVERYONE else seems to be getting plenty of sex.

If there's an easier way to feel like an insignificant speck of flea shit that wouldn't be missed if you disappeared forever tonight than sites like this, I don't know what it is.

In fact any Social Media is as bad. Why does everyone you know seem to be living happy, fulfilled lives and you don't? (Hint - They aren't. They have empty spaces in their lives, like you, they wake up in the wee hours and wonder what went wrong too - it's just that their black holes are centred elsewhere. It's difficult to see that when you are under the clouds)

If you are a highly sexually charged person, don't let that energy turn bad by being invisible or being rejected here. Channel it elsewhere, build up your strength, then come back and do loads of fucking!

Oh, and despite my comments up top - tell the Quack. Everyone is different, they may be able to help you straight away, perfectly.

Good luck.

over a year ago

Sigh

It's harsh and rude and not the way to address her illness BUT is the GP right? Is she doing something to help herself or stuck in a rut? If she's not trying to change it, it'll stay the same.

Surely by seeing her GP she is addressing it? How else is she supposed to get help? If anyone ever says they have a mental problem the first recommendation is always "see your GP"....

"

Depression isn't as straight forward as treating an infection though. If she's not working on it herself, she won't get better. You can't expect a GP (even a decent one that didn't speak to her like that) to cure her if all she's doing is maintaining her appointments. She has to seek treatments that work for her - talking therapies, or behavioural therapies, medication, fitness and diet, changing the bad habits she may have gotten into.

There's just a lot more to it than seeing a GP.

By *otGeorgeClooneyMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 14/05/16 23:41:21]

over a year ago

Sigh

Depression isn't as straight forward as treating an infection though. If she's not working on it herself, she won't get better. You can't expect a GP (even a decent one that didn't speak to her like that) to cure her if all she's doing is maintaining her appointments. She has to seek treatments that work for her - talking therapies, or behavioural therapies, medication, fitness and diet, changing the bad habits she may have gotten into.

There's just a lot more to it than seeing a GP. "

The GP has to refer her to specialists to get the help and information she needs. Even then not everything works for everyone. For instance,I go out on hot sunny days and feel very low. I don't enjoy summer like others do.

over a year ago

Sigh

The GP has to refer her to specialists to get the help and information she needs. Even then not everything works for everyone. For instance,I go out on hot sunny days and feel very low. I don't enjoy summer like others do. "

She can self refer for therapy now, it's a lot easier to take control of your treatment than it used to be a decade ago. GP can help with medicating, but that's half the battle.

By *piritsonfabCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Sigh

The GP has to refer her to specialists to get the help and information she needs. Even then not everything works for everyone. For instance,I go out on hot sunny days and feel very low. I don't enjoy summer like others do. "

You're assuming here that the depressed person has the motivation to even get out of bed never mind seek extra help...

As for fitness diet medication and bad habits..... Sigh. Not sure suicidal people are all that bothered about those things

over a year ago

Sigh

The GP has to refer her to specialists to get the help and information she needs. Even then not everything works for everyone. For instance,I go out on hot sunny days and feel very low. I don't enjoy summer like others do.

You're assuming here that the depressed person has the motivation to even get out of bed never mind seek extra help...

As for fitness diet medication and bad habits..... Sigh. Not sure suicidal people are all that bothered about those things"

And you're assuming it's something I haven't experienced. Yes it's difficult but it needs to be done, otherwise nothing changes.

It's just very, very hard - it is not impossible.

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

I hate these threads on general boards. Lots of good advice but also lots of assumptions and comets about medications etc.

There's also risk of it becoming a pissing contest which I've run into far too often.

Op go to your doc regardless of what's said only you can do something about it.

over a year ago

It's only now I know how close I was to the edge back then. As hard as it seems OP try and reach out a little .

over a year ago

Suffered with it for 20 years. Everyone is different. Some people medication is the way to go others it's therapy. Some people it's both. It depends on what I'd triggering it too. The only advice that I'd feel comfortable with giving you is to seek help from a GP, talk about it ( it really does help) and never give up. Not giving up will be the hardest thing that you do but trust me the other route is not one you want to go down.

Post new Message to Thread