Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

Who else wants a new rule for Hidden Profiles

Jump to newest

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

You notice a particular profile has viewed yours a lot recently, or you get a wink or a friend request. Furthermore, the main profile picture catches your fancy, so naturally you'd like to check out the profile.

You click through and find the profile is hidden. Surely I can't be the only one to find this a bit annoying.

So I'm advocating for a rule change. If you hide your profile but then view someone else's more than once a day, they get to view yours for the next 24 hours.

If you send a wink or friend invite, they get to see your profile for the next week.

Sounds reasonable to me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emplarWarriorMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

I think if a profile is hidden then the profile should be inactive, as in you shouldn't be able to send winks n messages, join in the forums and so on. Its all a bit peeping tomish to roam around this site totally hidden.

But then again I don't think pictureless profiles should be able to view pictures on your profile either.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Tin foil hats anyone?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think the OP raises a valid point and one that's bugged me off and on over the years - be interesting though to see who responds here and what feeb back is

On a personal note, whenever that happened to me, I tend to "ignore" them

J

over a year ago

"Tin foil hats anyone? "

my point exactly ....watch the fall out lol

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Tin foil hats anyone?

my point exactly ....watch the fall out lol "

Not quite what I meant

By *uessWhosBackAgainMan
over a year ago

London

Yeah good luck with that although you do have a point don't think anything will change

over a year ago

"You notice a particular profile has viewed yours a lot recently, or you get a wink or a friend request. Furthermore, the main profile picture catches your fancy, so naturally you'd like to check out the profile.

You click through and find the profile is hidden. Surely I can't be the only one to find this a bit annoying.

So I'm advocating for a rule change. If you hide your profile but then view someone else's more than once a day, they get to view yours for the next 24 hours.

If you send a wink or friend invite, they get to see your profile for the next week.

Sounds reasonable to me "

the reason women hide profiles is to get a break from the countless messages they get ,they don't want to leave site and stop chatting

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I know the OP sounds tongue in cheek at the end, but I just don't understand the trauma a hidden profile causes some people. You don't know the real person behind a live profile either so what difference is there with a hidden one?

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Can't see the big deal;

I hide sometimes when I don't want to be contacted; for the women it's a useful tool to get a break from constant "wanna fuk?" Messages .

over a year ago

I'm guessing this isn't a wholly serious post but people can use their profiles as they wish. If I don't want people to view mine I can either hide it or block people. When I have my profile open to view then I can't complain if people look at it! It doesn't give me an automatic right to view theirs back if they don't want me to see it!

The site has it spot on as it is. Up to you to decide if your own profile is viewable or not, not somebody else

over a year ago

"I know the OP sounds tongue in cheek at the end, but I just don't understand the trauma a hidden profile causes some people. You don't know the real person behind a live profile either so what difference is there with a hidden one?"

Agreed, no different from a photoless profile with no text either, seen lots of them. If it bothers you then just block them.

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

Before this thread goes off on a tangent, I'm not advocating for a ban on hidden profiles. I know it is a useful feature to have for a variety of reasons.

I'm just saying that perhaps, as this is a social environment, first & foremost.., should you really be able to stay hidden in every capacity whilst enjoying the use of the site in a manner that is only made possible for you to enjoy, because others have left their profiles unhidden.

If you hide your profile but then interacts with another in a manner that suggests you like what you see, perhaps they should be able to view your profile as well to a certain extent.

over a year ago

It could be your ex or a stalker as well and that's why they're hidden.

By *olgateMan
over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Probably not the best time to mention precious metals

over a year ago

"Tin foil hats anyone? "

Only if you're going to throw tomatoes at it.

OP,I can't see why it annoys you so much but there is a block facility you can use.

over a year ago

Someone who has not hidden their profile but views in stealth mode could be looking at your profile constantly !

By *ordonBennettMan
over a year ago

dover

"Before this thread goes off on a tangent, I'm not advocating for a ban on hidden profiles. I know it is a useful feature to have for a variety of reasons.

I'm just saying that perhaps, as this is a social environment, first & foremost.., should you really be able to stay hidden in every capacity whilst enjoying the use of the site in a manner that is only made possible for you to enjoy, because others have left their profiles unhidden.

If you hide your profile but then interacts with another in a manner that suggests you like what you see, perhaps they should be able to view your profile as well to a certain extent."

Am I right in thinking you can still send a message to a hidden profile? I seem to recall doing this to a friend who had hidden theirs. If so, then why not send a message expressing your frustration...?

over a year ago

I occasionally hide mine. Not because I'm up to no good it just means I'm having a break and don't want mail or people winking and sending friend requests to me. It removes me from all searches but it allows me to still post on the forum or speak to friends if I want

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Someone who has not hidden their profile but views in stealth mode could be looking at your profile constantly !"

Yep I'm hidden at the moment as I'm not meeting so it stops me coming up on seaeches (even though I've written it on my profile) and I've looked at his profile lots today...

I haven't.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Before this thread goes off on a tangent, I'm not advocating for a ban on hidden profiles. I know it is a useful feature to have for a variety of reasons.

If you hide your profile but then interacts with another in a manner that suggests you like what you see, perhaps they should be able to view your profile as well to a certain extent.

Am I right in thinking you can still send a message to a hidden profile? I seem to recall doing this to a friend who had hidden theirs. If so, then why not send a message expressing your frustration...?"

Yes you're right

over a year ago

In honour of this thread, I've hidden my profile

By *imply_SensualMan
over a year ago

warrington

I agree with the OP to en extent, particularly around the issue of a hidden profile initiating contact. Leaving it as it is can work against the hidden profile too - I received a message from a hidden profile but told her I couldn't give her a proper response because I couldn't see her profile. The answer was for her to 'unhide' her profile for a while - which meant every could see it.

It is not beyond technical capabilities to have a profile hidden but then as the OP suggests, if that person sends a message or wink to another profile, that can then see the hidden one - leaving it hidden from the rest of the site.

I agree that people should be able to hide profiles when they wish, I have done it myself, but apply some logic to the whole function.

over a year ago

"I think if a profile is hidden then the profile should be inactive, as in you shouldn't be able to send winks n messages, join in the forums and so on. Its all a bit peeping tomish to roam around this site totally hidden.

But then again I don't think pictureless profiles should be able to view pictures on your profile either. "

Like this ^^

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"I think if a profile is hidden then the profile should be inactive, as in you shouldn't be able to send winks n messages, join in the forums and so on. Its all a bit peeping tomish to roam around this site totally hidden.

But then again I don't think pictureless profiles should be able to view pictures on your profile either.

Like this ^^ "

Some people ( for perfectly good reasons) do not wish to show pictures ( certainly public ones).

If others are happy to show pictures, then that's up to them.

By *vgloryholebs16TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol.

People can show hidden profile briefly for interested parties and then hide it again...No problem as you can still message them.

over a year ago

I have a few that look at mine some times 3/4 times a week

over a year ago

Such angst!! I don't bother hiding my profile, I just have fuck all on it.

It must drive people proper insane.

By *smithyukMan
over a year ago

Staffs

"Someone who has not hidden their profile but views in stealth mode could be looking at your profile constantly !"

This.

Hidden profiles don't bother me, at least they may show up on your looked at me list. It's the ones that sneak about who have activated the 'don't show up on the last looked at me list' that grate on me. That option needs getting rid of.

Obviously what you don't know doesn't really hurt you but when they have fabbed a pic or messaged you but they don't show up on your list then you don't need to be Columbo

By *smithyukMan
over a year ago

Staffs

"

Am I right in thinking you can still send a message to a hidden profile? I seem to recall doing this to a friend who had hidden theirs. If so, then why not send a message expressing your frustration...?"

A hidden profile won't show up in a search but if the person is your friend or on your hot list then they will be on your lists and you can click their name and then message them even though they are hidden. Or if they arent on your list but you stumble on a veri they left someone you can click and message aswell

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

My profile is hidden yet I still get messages, winks and friend requests.

I don't see the point of sending anything either: why?!! But then I like an angst free life and can't see anything on here make new go anything but

over a year ago

"Tin foil hats anyone? "

Seriously? I think you should jump to it and get these fantastic new rules set up right now

over a year ago

I think i get what the op is suggesting....if you hide your profile then certain functionality should be removed ie winks/sending friend requests etc. That kinda makes sense to me. Maybe make it so hidden profiles can't interact with people that aren't on their friends list hence leaving them able to communicate with those they still want to and removing all other contact. I quite like that idea.

By *orny.hot.guyMan
over a year ago

Costa del Midlothian

"You notice a particular profile has viewed yours a lot recently, or you get a wink or a friend request. Furthermore, the main profile picture catches your fancy, so naturally you'd like to check out the profile.

over a year ago

"I know the OP sounds tongue in cheek at the end, but I just don't understand the trauma a hidden profile causes some people. You don't know the real person behind a live profile either so what difference is there with a hidden one?

Agreed, no different from a photoless profile with no text either, seen lots of them. If it bothers you then just block them. "

over a year ago

I don't understand the idea. If someone has hidden their profile, it is for a reason. Why make their profile visible against their wishes?

By *ice guy 44Man
over a year ago

wrexham

But then again I don't think pictureless profiles should be able to view pictures on your profile either. "

now that is one good idear mate very good

over a year ago

"Can't see the big deal;

I hide sometimes when I don't want to be contacted; for the women it's a useful tool to get a break from constant "wanna fuk?" Messages .

"

This exactly... MY profile is hidden, don't know if it's because people can't read 'not meeting' or they just think that they are that exceptional, that I will suddenly find a way to go out.

I quite like my profile being hidden.

Anyway.... You can set your profile up in such a way that you can look at profiles and they not know.. People stalking you and you can not tell....

You could end up in knots worrying about who was looking at you and you not know...on a downward neurotic spiral....

Calm yaself x doesn't matter who looks, winks or whatever

X

By *encarolCouple
over a year ago

Tyneside

If they hide their profile , then they should not be able to look at others

By *ERGIE6Man
over a year ago

irvine

If a profile is hidden I would think there is a reason behind it regardless of what that may be

I also believe that if you try to delete your account fab recommend that you hide it

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'm glad to see that a handful of people here are getting my drift TemplarWarrior and Scarlet Seduction shared some reasonable suggestions I thought.

It is perfectly fine to hide your profile if you must, but whatever your reason is for hiding, I'm struggling to think of one good reason why you should still be able to have a free run of the site like everyone else.

If your reason for hiding is taking a break, then take a break. If you start to show interest in specific profiles by viewing them multiple times a day or sending them winks or friend requests, then you're no longer taking a break.

If you're hiding from a stalker but want to continue interacting with other swingers, then hiding your profile is hardly an effective way to achieve this. You'd be better of blocking this person or better still deleting your profile and creating a new one and taking steps to ensure they can't identify you.

If you're hiding because you just want to use the forums, fine. Using the forums do not necessarily require you to send winks and friend requests. If you do so then you're clearly interested in such profiles and they should be able to see your hidden profile.

And by the way, a hidden profile isn't the same as having a profile with no pictures or text. It also isn't the same as setting up your profile so you don't appear on "Who has Viewed My Profile" lists.

First & foremost, in my view, you shouldn't be able to have a profile without at least a certain amount of text on your profile. But such profiles are different from hidden ones by the very fact that they are not hidden. If they ever register on your radar and you click through to the profile, you can very quickly move on having established that they're not swingers that are seriously looking.

If you choose not to be seen when you view profiles, that's fine. People don't know if you've viewed their profile and so they have no reason to wonder what your game is. As would be the case if you've been perving over a specific profile for days but this profile finds yours hidden when they click on your name.

over a year ago

We find it mildly irritating, alright downright annoying, and so just block the profile.

Clearly the owner must be that stupid to wink or message from a hidden profile that we'd not get on if we met do we block and move on.

I think that a hidden profile should be treated as a defunct profile, until made active again hen they can't even view others and can only edit their own.

If they wink or message then as soon as they hide their profile, every contact is removed.

over a year ago

Great idea - bad business model, hence why so many of the suggestions and ideas put forward by members are ignored, other than those that wouldn't impact on membership or income....

But hey, the site is free, and very cheap for upgraded membership, and it works (in the main) so can't moan too much

By *lighty1Woman
over a year ago

You Dont Need to Know, right now

" It's the ones that sneak about who have activated the 'don't show up on the last looked at me list' that grate on me. That option needs getting rid of. "

This option is usually used by couples/women who are fed up with the "I see you looked at me, so you must be interested" messages. (Errr, no! If I was interested, I would have sent a message!)

And men want to get rid of this option so that they can SEND the "I see you looked at me, so you must be interested" messages!

over a year ago

" It's the ones that sneak about who have activated the 'don't show up on the last looked at me list' that grate on me. That option needs getting rid of.

This option is usually used by couples/women who are fed up with the "I see you looked at me, so you must be interested" messages. (Errr, no! If I was interested, I would have sent a message!)

And men want to get rid of this option so that they can SEND the "I see you looked at me, so you must be interested" messages! "

God yes. I was so glad to find this hide your profile feature!!

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Great idea - bad business model, hence why so many of the suggestions and ideas put forward by members are ignored, other than those that wouldn't impact on membership or income....

But hey, the site is free, and very cheap for upgraded membership, and it works (in the main) so can't moan too much "

Looks like you've got a point there.

I still think it's something worth looking at though.

over a year ago

...*checks*

Yep...still finding it hard to care if people hide their profile or not because it doesn't impact in the slightest on how we use the site...

over a year ago

Why even bother checking who is looking at your profile? I've always thought that's a pointless feature - if someone looks and is interested, they'll get in touch. If they look and they don't get in touch, they're probably not interested.

over a year ago

I vote we have enough rules ,I vote down with conformity

over a year ago

Well being a female, if I want a break from messages I just activate all my filters, I have had a few people look but from a hidden profile, even hidden profile you can still message them. So I agree with Op, hidden profile make inactive...

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/03/16 06:12:02]

over a year ago

They don't keep profile hidden and after all hiding it is a filter ,I don't see problem

over a year ago

"Why even bother checking who is looking at your profile? I've always thought that's a pointless feature - if someone looks and is interested, they'll get in touch. If they look and they don't get in touch, they're probably not interested. "

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"...*checks*

Yep...still finding it hard to care if people hide their profile or not because it doesn't impact in the slightest on how we use the site..."

You have a life?!!

By *llebWoman
over a year ago

Poulton Le Fylde

Perhaps there should be another hide option

You can still be seen by people on your friends list or not when you choose to hide your profile from public view ?

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

Can understand 100%no face photo,s but hidden profile is a no you get a wink a message and you can not check there profile.

If you get a wink or a message there profile should come up

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Why even bother checking who is looking at your profile? I've always thought that's a pointless feature - if someone looks and is interested, they'll get in touch. If they look and they don't get in touch, they're probably not interested.

"

The feature may seem pointless to you but some people find it very useful. Not everyone gets all they want from the site by sitting back and waiting for others to come to them.

Some people, actually have to proactively engage, interact and initiate contact with other profiles they fancy to get any results.

Of course someone viewing your profile doesn't mean they're interested, even if they view it multiple times. But the odds of them being interested are a lot better than those of the random profiles you find from using the search feature, especially if they've been viewing your profile multiple times a day.

That they have viewed your profile & haven't emailed you also doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like what they saw. They could be one of those who wait for people to come to them. Or they could be so spoilt for choice that they've put you on their hotlist as a future exploit. You contacting them may very well put you into play in the present Who knows.., but you may never know if you say "Oh they haven't emailed me so they're not interested"

There's no shame in making the first move, as long as you're not making an unwelcome approach. And seeing who's been viewing your profile helps you decide who to get in touch with.., assuming they haven't hidden their profile of course, so you also know if they're what you want.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Can understand 100%no face photo,s but hidden profile is a no you get a wink a message and you can not check there profile.

If you get a wink or a message there profile should come up"

This I agree with. What's the point winking etc if your profile is hidden?

over a year ago

"Tin foil hats anyone?

Only if you're going to throw tomatoes at it.

OP,I can't see why it annoys you so much but there is a block facility you can use. "

this is what I do if a hidden profile keeps looking I just block them

over a year ago

"Why even bother checking who is looking at your profile? I've always thought that's a pointless feature - if someone looks and is interested, they'll get in touch. If they look and they don't get in touch, they're probably not interested.

The feature may seem pointless to you but some people find it very useful. Not everyone gets all they want from the site by sitting back and waiting for others to come to them.

Some people, actually have to proactively engage, interact and initiate contact with other profiles they fancy to get any results.

Of course someone viewing your profile doesn't mean they're interested, even if they view it multiple times. But the odds of them being interested are a lot better than those of the random profiles you find from using the search feature, especially if they've been viewing your profile multiple times a day.

That they have viewed your profile & haven't emailed you also doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like what they saw. They could be one of those who wait for people to come to them. Or they could be so spoilt for choice that they've put you on their hotlist as a future exploit. You contacting them may very well put you into play in the present Who knows.., but you may never know if you say "Oh they haven't emailed me so they're not interested"

There's no shame in making the first move, as long as you're not making an unwelcome approach. And seeing who's been viewing your profile helps you decide who to get in touch with.., assuming they haven't hidden their profile of course, so you also know if they're what you want."

You presume a lot about the way I use the site. I have all my filters on, I do my searching and contacting myself. Whether someone has looked at my profile has literally no bearing on that process. They don't know anything about me whatsoever until they click on my profile. I'm not presumptuous enough to assume that viewing my profile means I should message them on the back of it. One of the main reasons practically everyone uses stealth mode is the "oh I see you looked at my profile" messages. Argh! What's wrong with just searching for people, seeing if you're interested, seeing if you fit what they're looking for on their profile and then if you do, contacting them? Instead of some bizarre tit for tat you looked at me so I'm going to message you principle?

So no, I don't just sit back and wait for people to come to me, but I still think it's an entirely pointless feature.

How exactly does seeing who has viewed you assist in knowing who to message?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"Tin foil hats anyone?

my point exactly ....watch the fall out lol

Not quite what I meant "

It's all part of a major conspiracy, commit by the fab elite, to piss of the poor, downtrodden, single guys on here. And we all know who the fab elite is, don't we?

Either that or it's those pesky lizard people again.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I think the hide profile feature could be refined a little. For example, there could be a feature to just be hidden from searches, or possibly an option for a person who has their profile hidden to unhide for any number of specific users, or a facility to hide your profile in searches from other hidden profiles. However, if a person wants their profile hidden as now, for whatever reason, then they should be able to do so.

By *ptimusD OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I think the hide profile feature could be refined a little. For example, there could be a feature to just be hidden from searches, or possibly an option for a person who has their profile hidden to unhide for any number of specific users, or a facility to hide your profile in searches from other hidden profiles. However, if a person wants their profile hidden as now, for whatever reason, then they should be able to do so.

"

Post new Message to Thread