Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

Fasting blood test...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just a quick question: I have a fasting blood test tomorrow and have been told not to eat anything after 10pm.

Does that really mean I can't eat anything or will I be okay if I don't swallow ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Haha. To be on the safe side i wouldn't swallow anything.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

It means water only.

By *rMrs_CCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

Fasting blood test means nothing so they can get your baseline readings, as food can alter your levels eg. Eating affects glucose levels for testing for diabetes.

Sips of water are fine upto 1hr before and if you are taking meds with a sugar coating (taste sweet when you lick it) please ask them if you are allowed to take.

By *aneandpaulCouple
over a year ago

cleveleys

I am having one today at 9-30 am they said nothing at all from midnight

By *abphilMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"I am having one today at 9-30 am they said nothing at all from midnight "

Yep been there done em always told no food or drink 10pm night before and rinse mouth with water but dont swallow it hey ho they all sound different or is it just the advice?

over a year ago

"I am having one today at 9-30 am they said nothing at all from midnight

Yep been there done em always told no food or drink 10pm night before and rinse mouth with water but dont swallow it hey ho they all sound different or is it just the advice?"

I get told 10pm as well. But you can swallow the water for fasting bloods, just can't swallow water if you're going for an Operation...so if your test results might result in an Operation then that might be why you're getting told that.

By *abphilMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Yep been there done em always told no food or drink 10pm night before and rinse mouth with water but dont swallow it hey ho they all sound different or is it just the advice?

I get told 10pm as well. But you can swallow the water for fasting bloods, just can't swallow water if you're going for an Operation...so if your test results might result in an Operation then that might be why you're getting told that."

Right thats sorted. Never had a mention of an op but i suppose lots going on and you can misunderstand (But not about an op lol)

over a year ago

I get told 10pm as well. But you can swallow the water for fasting bloods, just can't swallow water if you're going for an Operation...so if your test results might result in an Operation then that might be why you're getting told that.

Right thats sorted. Never had a mention of an op but i suppose lots going on and you can misunderstand (But not about an op lol)"

There might be another reason that i don't know of, but that's the reason i do know about. If you ask them why they can tell you for sure.

over a year ago

Going by the smilies I would guess OP means can she swallow if she gives a BJ? I may be wrong lol

By *ungBlackTopMan
over a year ago

salford

water is preferred or will affect your kidney function on the blood test. I's advisable to drink a glass of water before you go but yeh nothing else from midnight.

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

"Just a quick question: I have a fasting blood test tomorrow and have been told not to eat anything after 10pm.

Does that really mean I can't eat anything or will I be okay if I don't swallow ?

"

I would just start munching earlier so you finish at about 10pm

By *methyst01Man
over a year ago

Ealing Common

The reason food is not allowed is because you need your stomach to be clear for anasthaetic.

Once you are under and you have food in your stomach it poses an additional risk as any reflux can cause you to choke on your food.

over a year ago

Fasting bloods means if it's for a diabetic they need to see if your blood suger is high with out any food or drink ,I have this test quite often ,only water or black coffee with no suger is aloud

over a year ago

"Going by the smilies I would guess OP means can she swallow if she gives a BJ? I may be wrong lol"

Of course that's what she meant , but fair play to all those who took it seriously

over a year ago

"The reason food is not allowed is because you need your stomach to be clear for anasthaetic.

Once you are under and you have food in your stomach it poses an additional risk as any reflux can cause you to choke on your food."

Theoretically that's not true they like your stomach to be empty as the asperate (digested food) can result in it coming back up and flooding your lungs causing a serious phnumonia.

By *methyst01Man
over a year ago

Ealing Common

"Fasting bloods means if it's for a diabetic they need to see if your blood suger is high with out any food or drink ,I have this test quite often ,only water or black coffee with no suger is aloud "

I dont mean to be rude but its bugging me. You have the test often too. You do kmow its spelt sugar.

I know im going to get slated but it is a basic word.

Sorry again if im being rude but i think its important to point it out.

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Belfast

"Just a quick question: I have a fasting blood test tomorrow and have been told not to eat anything after 10pm.

"

If it's a diabetes test, it probably just means sugar free fluids like water, black coffee / tea are permitted only.

Carbohydrate containing food stiffs can skew the test results and lead to inaccuracies. if the Dr gave you a pamphlet/ some sort of instructional literature; follow that to a tee and you should be fine to go forward with the test without the risk of inaccuracy.

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

No black coffee I was told coffee holds d sugar in ur body . I fast from 6 just to b sure . I'm a diabetic n have them regular

By *hocko87Man
over a year ago

dublin

Only water u can drink don't mind d others fasting. Means fasting

over a year ago

"The reason food is not allowed is because you need your stomach to be clear for anasthaetic.

Once you are under and you have food in your stomach it poses an additional risk as any reflux can cause you to choke on your food.

Theoretically that's not true they like your stomach to be empty as the asperate (digested food) can result in it coming back up and flooding your lungs causing a serious phnumonia. "

This

over a year ago

Fasting blood test only ? yes you can drink water. If you don't have a glass of water, you will be dehydrated and your veins will shrink a little. It is more painful, and harder for the person who takes blood, to find a vein, if you are dehydrated.

By *exysuzi and Mr.SCouple
over a year ago

CONISTON .Stoke Suburbia. Staffs. BARMOUTH. The Lakes (Monthly)

"Fasting blood test only ? yes you can drink water. If you don't have a glass of water, you will be dehydrated and your veins will shrink a little. It is more painful, and harder for the person who takes blood, to find a vein, if you are dehydrated."

That's a phlebotomist, veins are easy to locate, but dehydrated blood is thicker and clots quickly during collection.

over a year ago

"Fasting blood test only ? yes you can drink water. If you don't have a glass of water, you will be dehydrated and your veins will shrink a little. It is more painful, and harder for the person who takes blood, to find a vein, if you are dehydrated.

That's a phlebotomist, veins are easy to locate, but dehydrated blood is thicker and clots quickly during collection. "

Yeah right, veins are easy to collect when the volume is low. Silly me, after 30 years of taking blood. you learn something new every day

Post new Message to Thread