Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

narrow boat swinging ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have an idea which I want to get opinions/advice on for next year ?

I'm thinking of hiring a narrow boat next summer for a week to travel along the canal system throughout the midlands.

Make regular stops along the way with socials and meets ?

I've not done narrow boating before but am told it's easy to pick up ?

I'll get a female friend from fab to come with me as a couple and wondered what others think of the idea ?

Any advice ideas would be welcome.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I have an idea which I want to get opinions/advice on for next year ?

I'm thinking of hiring a narrow boat next summer for a week to travel along the canal system throughout the midlands.

I'll get a female friend from fab to come with me as a couple and wondered what others think of the idea ?

Any advice ideas would be welcome. "

Pretty sure you need to pass a test to pilot a narrow boat. My dad has a boat and he had to pass a test before he could take it out onto the rivers

By *ice oneMan
over a year ago

Leicester

There is a couple in Leicestershire (can`t remember their name)who organise couples parties on their narrow boat.

over a year ago

Umm, I was told that you can hire one with a short demonstration. ? Will contact the marina in nottingham to check.

Thanks though

over a year ago

If you only have the natrow boat with in he uk then you dont. If outside the uk you need the correct qualifications

X

over a year ago

"There is a couple in Leicestershire (can`t remember their name)who organise couples parties on their narrow boat.

"

Ooh, interesting.

I did just want to lift anchor and go wherever I wanted though, rather than attend a party on someone's boat

By *unter122Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

No licence or training needed for a narrow boat , had one for years , just common sense .if you hire one they just take you through the basics of how to use it , bit like hiring a car .

over a year ago

"If you only have the natrow boat with in he uk then you dont. If outside the uk you need the correct qualifications

X

"

Thought so.

over a year ago

You may be right, my dads boat is different to a narrow boat, but I would be surprised. It's kind of like giving someone who has never driven before a rental car and put them straight on the road

over a year ago

"No licence or training needed for a narrow boat , had one for years , just common sense .if you hire one they just take you through the basics of how to use it , bit like hiring a car ."

That'll probably explain why a narrow boat nearly ran my dad aground last time we went out

over a year ago

"No licence or training needed for a narrow boat , had one for years , just common sense .if you hire one they just take you through the basics of how to use it , bit like hiring a car .

That'll probably explain why a narrow boat nearly ran my dad aground last time we went out"

Must have been a 'woman driver'

ONLY JOKING !!

over a year ago

I've hired a narrow boat before and had to have a sort of lesson before I could go our myself.. only took a couple of hours mainly toshow you the controls and how to turn with throttle etc

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

"I have an idea which I want to get opinions/advice on for next year ?

Any advice ideas would be welcome. "

we hire from a company local to us. First time, just go through how to pilot, locks, regulations/guidelines etc. You will find the engines are restricted also, for everyones safety

over a year ago

"No licence or training needed for a narrow boat , had one for years , just common sense .if you hire one they just take you through the basics of how to use it , bit like hiring a car .

That'll probably explain why a narrow boat nearly ran my dad aground last time we went out

ONLY JOKING !! "

Lol, it must have been a very good disguise if it was, she looked like an older man of around 50-60

over a year ago

"Umm, I was told that you can hire one with a short demonstration. ? Will contact the marina in nottingham to check.

Thanks though "

This is true. My FWB did several trips/holidays on rivers of Norfolk broads. Lots of narrow boat holiday firms out there. They go through the locks onto the river Severn.

over a year ago

ONLY JOKING !!

Lol, it must have been a very good disguise if it was, she looked like an older man of around 50-60"

Ha ha

By *abcouple11Couple
over a year ago

Truro

We had same idea. Could hire the boat in the off-season. On this one they pipe the engine coolant round a set of radiators, so you could be toasty-warm even if it was cold outside. Choose a windy day and no-one would twig-on why the boat is rocking so much

over a year ago

Great idea, That opens up a whole new season to play.

Could post a list of places we intend to stop off at and see what response we get ?

over a year ago

"You may be right, my dads boat is different to a narrow boat, but I would be surprised. It's kind of like giving someone who has never driven before a rental car and put them straight on the road"

Hire a boat at Pontyscyllte and you've got 100m to learn how to pilot it before you go over Telford's viaduct

World Heritage Site

Try doing that in a cross wind 150 feet up in the air

over a year ago

"You may be right, my dads boat is different to a narrow boat, but I would be surprised. It's kind of like giving someone who has never driven before a rental car and put them straight on the road

Hire a boat at Pontyscyllte and you've got 100m to learn how to pilot it before you go over Telford's viaduct

Scared of heights I'm afraid, but it sounds beautiful.

World Heritage Site

Try doing that in a cross wind 150 feet up in the air "

over a year ago

Pontyscyllte Wow, we did it in June this year on our narrowboat.

It had to be done, but never again.

We enjoy our boat very much and spend as much time on board as possible.

By *indapeterCouple
over a year ago

northamption

we are buying a narrow boat for end the year

Post new Message to Thread