Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

poor spelling and text speak

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We were just wondering if poor spelling and text speak on profiles puts you off from meeting? Or are we just word snobs? Lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

long as I can understand it I don't mind

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends on how prevelant it is. I dont mind the odd bit of shorthand or text speak, but if entire profiles or messages are written in it then I tend to move on

over a year ago

It wouldn't put me off meeting that's for sure. English is my second language and I try to check my spelling as best I can. I make typos just like anyone else does but text speak and lazy English does get on my nerves sometimes/ I'd never comment on it if someone messaged me though.

over a year ago

I wouldn't say it makes you a snob at all. You are looking for a specific type of person, same as anyone else is.

Good spelling, hair colour, body type- doesn't matter what it is, it's what you want. You should never justify to anyone what you want. x

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

It puts us off, certainly...but not as much as one or two word messages. That's the real indicator that it's going nowhere!

over a year ago

A long profile with no punctuation and really bad grammar/spelling won't be read. It will make my eye muscles ache. I would talk to the man instead

over a year ago

Dno WUT Ur on Bout m8.

over a year ago

Your not being a snob at all, as I am the same, it just makes me feel as if someone cannot put any effort in and will not be what I am looking for. x

over a year ago

Text speak most definately puts me off

The odd spelling mistake won't if the content is worth reading

over a year ago

I'm a lazy profile writer. I can't decide what to write and keep changing it. I'm a nice person with great tits and an amazing fuck though

over a year ago

No, but seriously, I do find it slightly annoying to have to read through it all and decipher what exactly is being said sometimes.

over a year ago

To be fair it's more the poor spelling rather than text speak.....text speak is the world we live in. But we don't think there is any excuse for poor spelling, seeing as most devices have predictive text

over a year ago

"Depends on how prevelant it is. I dont mind the odd bit of shorthand or text speak, but if entire profiles or messages are written in it then I tend to move on "

Ooh hark at you with your big words

over a year ago

"I'm a lazy profile writer. I can't decide what to write and keep changing it. I'm a nice person with great tits and an amazing fuck though "

over a year ago

A few spelling mistakes shouldn't put you off someone (if it's the kind of person that would be put off, wouldn't want to know them anyway) also, its obvious that someone people have real problems and shouldn't be judged on that.

over a year ago

"Depends on how prevelant it is. I dont mind the odd bit of shorthand or text speak, but if entire profiles or messages are written in it then I tend to move on "

Prevalent*

Just saying.

over a year ago

"Depends on how prevelant it is. I dont mind the odd bit of shorthand or text speak, but if entire profiles or messages are written in it then I tend to move on

Ooh hark at you with your big words "

over a year ago

"Depends on how prevelant it is. I dont mind the odd bit of shorthand or text speak, but if entire profiles or messages are written in it then I tend to move on

Prevalent*

Just saying. "

#fail

over a year ago

"To be fair it's more the poor spelling rather than text speak.....text speak is the world we live in. But we don't think there is any excuse for poor spelling, seeing as most devices have predictive text"

And people who use English as a second language? I think I prefer poor spelling to text speak. As far as I'm concerned, poor spelling can't really be helped in some cases, and I think that someone being judged negatively for trying to spell isn't really right. Text talk, however, is a choice. You're choosing to cut corners and therefore be lazy with your words. Obviously things like "brb", "atm" or "tbh" are just standards in this culture but sometimes it's genuinely just as quick to add an extra "h" into "what", isn't it?

By * Busty HotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Bradford

"We were just wondering if poor spelling and text speak on profiles puts you off from meeting? Or are we just word snobs? Lol"

Absolutely agree. Instant and total turn off for ourselves, either in profile or messages received.

over a year ago

"To be fair it's more the poor spelling rather than text speak.....text speak is the world we live in. But we don't think there is any excuse for poor spelling, seeing as most devices have predictive text

And people who use English as a second language? I think I prefer poor spelling to text speak. As far as I'm concerned, poor spelling can't really be helped in some cases, and I think that someone being judged negatively for trying to spell isn't really right. Text talk, however, is a choice. You're choosing to cut corners and therefore be lazy with your words. Obviously things like "brb", "atm" or "tbh" are just standards in this culture but sometimes it's genuinely just as quick to add an extra "h" into "what", isn't it?"

What what what??

over a year ago

"It wouldn't put me off meeting that's for sure. English is my second language and I try to check my spelling as best I can. I make typos just like anyone else does but text speak and lazy English does get on my nerves sometimes/ I'd never comment on it if someone messaged me though. "

like always you read in my mind

over a year ago

"To be fair it's more the poor spelling rather than text speak.....text speak is the world we live in. But we don't think there is any excuse for poor spelling, seeing as most devices have predictive text

And people who use English as a second language? I think I prefer poor spelling to text speak. As far as I'm concerned, poor spelling can't really be helped in some cases, and I think that someone being judged negatively for trying to spell isn't really right. Text talk, however, is a choice. You're choosing to cut corners and therefore be lazy with your words. Obviously things like "brb", "atm" or "tbh" are just standards in this culture but sometimes it's genuinely just as quick to add an extra "h" into "what", isn't it?"

That's what I meant about text speak. ...don't mind lol,tbh,lmao and things like that. Hate it when they miss letters out of words, that is just down right lazy

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/07/14 11:13:43]

over a year ago

And people who use English as a second language? I think I prefer poor spelling to text speak. As far as I'm concerned, poor spelling can't really be helped in some cases, and I think that someone being judged negatively for trying to spell isn't really right. Text talk, however, is a choice. You're choosing to cut corners and therefore be lazy with your words. Obviously things like "brb", "atm" or "tbh" are just standards in this culture but sometimes it's genuinely just as quick to add an extra "h" into "what", isn't it?

That's what I meant about text speak. ...don't mind lol,tbh,lmao and things like that. Hate it when they miss letters out of words, that is just down right lazy"

Yep, totally wiv u on dat.

over a year ago

"To be fair it's more the poor spelling rather than text speak.....text speak is the world we live in. But we don't think there is any excuse for poor spelling, seeing as most devices have predictive text"

What about people who are dyslexic? Laptops don't have predictive text... well mine doesn't anyways! My OH has problems with spelling and often mixes up 'our' and 'are' and things like that. That has nothing to do with his conversational skills or the kind of person he is. As someone else said, if that's how you judge people then THAT would put me off meeting you.

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"long as I can understand it I don't mind"

Same with me.

However, I put on my profile that I am French so people reading it don't think that it's poor spelling or English

over a year ago

As far as text speak goes. If they can't take the time to spell a word, can they take the time to deliver pleasure?

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"long as I can understand it I don't mind

Same with me.

However, I put on my profile that I am French so people reading it don't think that it's poor spelling or English

"

Your English is a lot better than some native speakers!

over a year ago

Not as....off-putting and annoying as loads....of misplaced...ellipses.

over a year ago

Some people here, feels they are alpha women or alpha couple or more superior.Why would you be put off by common spelling mistakes..

over a year ago

I don't much care so long as I can understand it.

Obviously what and how people write is an indication as to whether I'd like to meet them.

There are often comments on here that I'd like to read but either they make no sense or require too much effort. I don't bother with those.

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"long as I can understand it I don't mind"

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"long as I can understand it I don't mind

Same with me.

Your English is a lot better than some native speakers!"

Thanks... Am glad that the 20 mins it takes me to write a post are not a waste of time lol

over a year ago

my spellings not the best but I do get put off by text talk and try not to use it

over a year ago

You're not a snob, it puts me off too.

over a year ago

No it don't 4me, rememeber a shag is a shag not how you type

over a year ago

After finding that phone keypads are not the best for spelling, I can forgive bad spelling. I can't stand text speak, I just delete any message that is written in it.

By *eddonistikMan
over a year ago

Manchester

We can all make spelling mistakes, if a word comes up underlined in red and I don't immediately recognise the mistake I'll spell check it. We can all make mistakes in grammar too, personally I try not to, but it can happen. I can understand that some people are dyslexic, (why's it such a difficult word to spell). However plainly 'lazy' English, lets of text speak and lack of capitals does speak of less than appreciable effort on the part of someone writing an email or profile. How much effort will they put into a meet?

over a year ago

"How much effort will they put into a meet? "

Depends how much writing you'll be asking them to do

By *eddonistikMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"How much effort will they put into a meet?

Depends how much writing you'll be asking them to do "

Having just looked at your profile and photos I'll settle for a time, date, preferred location of meet and a contact number

over a year ago

It does not put us off, like some have said its the short or rude first messages that annoy us.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i think it is interesting that people always keen to profess the word preference.... but when that "preference" relates to good spelling or to not liking text speak.. all hell breaks lose....

me personally.... if I have to go and reason something three times to understand it, then normally any positive feeling I had has gone

over a year ago

I hate it. Any text talk or shortened words irritate me. All I see are lazy people and I can do with lazy idle people. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well. That what my mum taught me and it's what I go by even now. So. Text talk (delete).

Shortened words (delete)

X

over a year ago

"I hate it. Any text talk or shortened words irritate me. All I see are lazy people and I can do with lazy idle people. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well. That what my mum taught me and it's what I go by even now. So. Text talk (delete).

Shortened words (delete)

X"

Language is an evolving thing. You shortened "it is" just now, purely because English has evolved and shortened it to make life easier, same with every other language, so I don't really think you can blame people for speaking the vernacular language of the internet, which is going to evolve in just the same way as spoken language will.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Thise riotoures thre of whiche I telle,

These three rioters of whom I tell,

Longe erst er prime rong of any belle,

Long before prime rang of any bell,

Were set hem in a taverne to drynke,

Had set themselves in a tavern to drink,

And as they sat, they herde a belle clynke

And as they sat, they heard a bell clink

Biforn a cors, was caried to his grave.

Before a corpse, which was carried to its grave.

That oon of hem gan callen to his knave:

The one of them did call to his servant:

"Go bet," quod he, "and axe redily

"Go quickly," he said, "and ask at once

What cors is this that passeth heer forby; What corpse is this that passes by here;

And looke that thou reporte his name weel."

And see that thou report his name correctly."

Sod text speak, I'm going to send all my messages in Chaucerspeak from now on

over a year ago

It's one of my rules. Hate the text speak but i've found mostly it's because people are just lazy. If you're too lazy to learn your native language i don't want to find out how lazy you are in person.

over a year ago

It dnt bother me, if I can understand it.just like it dnt bother peops that wanna meet me

over a year ago

Intelligence is a massive turn-on for me, so yes it does put me off if someone can't spell or use correct grammar and punctuation.

over a year ago

Text speak is irritating but I think that's a generational thing

Bad spelling and grammar is tolerable, if it is interesting.

It just upsets me to think of all the country's in the world where people have got to pay or have very little education, which it is free here and squandered by so many.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"We were just wondering if poor spelling and text speak on profiles puts you off from meeting? Or are we just word snobs? Lol"

I'm looking to meet men over 45. If they only use text speak they won't be for me, I just move on to the next profile.

By *acymarkMan
over a year ago

Paignton

I really don't like text speak and poor grammar. I don't consider myself a word snob, but it doesn't take much effort to write well and use apostrophes where necessary. I do make decisions about whether to contact someone based on the profile content. It takes all sorts!

By *et a roomCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Prevalent*

Just saying. "

over a year ago

Grammar has evolved for a very good reason. The entire meaning of a message can be changed by using punctuation incorrectly. What is the point in writing something that sounds right in your head but when someone else reads it they get an entirely different message? If the commas and full stops, apostrophes and hyphens etc. are in the wrong place all sorts of mayhem can ensue!

By *tokecoupleukCouple
over a year ago

hanley

text speak dont bother us, not reading some ones profile bothers us. Its just lazy if cant read what people have wrote then not worth a meet

By *rofaneprofMan
over a year ago

Katy

I think the English language is sexy - I get so much joy in reading a profile that piques my creative interest. Poor spelling and text speak just detract from the impression I am building of the person.

over a year ago

Poor spelling and too much text usually means a poor profile. Bad spelling definitely puts me off.

By *aballeroMan
over a year ago

Edenbridge

"Your not being a snob at all, as I am the same, it just makes me feel as if someone cannot put any effort in and will not be what I am looking for. x"

+ 1

By *aballeroMan
over a year ago

Edenbridge

"text speak dont bother us, not reading some ones profile bothers us. Its just lazy if cant read what people have wrote then not worth a meet"

Hope you are not taking the mickey here with your grammar?

over a year ago

Their profile is a window into their world. If their writing style or content does not work for you then best move on.

In my opinion, at best, poor spelling, grammar and text speak indicate laziness, and at worst intellectual incompatibility.

Please do not babble on about dyslexia. I have that and consequently take time to check my written messages before posting.

over a year ago

"I hate it. Any text talk or shortened words irritate me. All I see are lazy people and I can do with lazy idle people. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well. That what my mum taught me and it's what I go by even now. So. Text talk (delete).

Shortened words (delete)

X

Language is an evolving thing. You shortened "it is" just now, purely because English has evolved and shortened it to make life easier, same with every other language, so I don't really think you can blame people for speaking the vernacular language of the internet, which is going to evolve in just the same way as spoken language will."

I am well aware language is evolving, but that does not mean that gramma has to be changed. Words are added to the English language but there is no need at all for the lazy ness of text talk on here. It irritates me about people and is a massive turn off. Which is not what you want on a site like this!

over a year ago

I love irony.....

over a year ago

Text speak isn't necessarily symbolic of laziness or poor language skills - lots of studies show the opposite to be true.

I think it's usually possible to get an idea of a personality and intelligence by how somebody writes (in whatever format) and as ever, plenty of those criticising grammar above are in glass houses with many a crack.

If you want to speak from a high horse, check you're on one in the first place.

over a year ago

"Text speak isn't necessarily symbolic of laziness or poor language skills - lots of studies show the opposite to be true.

I think it's usually possible to get an idea of a personality and intelligence by how somebody writes (in whatever format) and as ever, plenty of those criticising grammar above are in glass houses with many a crack.

If you want to speak from a high horse, check you're on one in the first place."

Text speak evolved from the need for text messages to be kept short to avoid paying for multiple texts when one could do. Fab however is a web site and we are not charged by the word; yet!

I will accept intelligent people use text speak in phone texts but my perception (I evoke Fab cliché No. 1) is they do not in forums and profiles. It is just the way I see it.

Which studies support your case? I would be interested to read them and perhaps change my point if _iew.

Ps. If the high horse comment has any relevance to me you would never catch me on one of those animals!

over a year ago

"Text speak isn't necessarily symbolic of laziness or poor language skills - lots of studies show the opposite to be true.

If you want to speak from a high horse, check you're on one in the first place."

Text speak evolved from the need for text messages to be kept short to avoid paying for multiple texts when one could do. Fab however is a web site and we are not charged by the word; yet!

I will accept intelligent people use text speak in phone texts but my perception (I evoke Fab cliché No. 1) is they do not in forums and profiles. It is just the way I see it.

Which studies support your case? I would be interested to read them and perhaps change my point if _iew.

Ps. If the high horse comment has any relevance to me you would never catch me on one of those animals!

over a year ago

Google 'text speak literacy' that should give you plenty.

Abbreviated speech was used long before mobile phones.

It's now integrated into all sorts of communication and makes complete sense to use it (appropriately) on an informal medium such as this website - which many access using a phone.

over a year ago

Lmfao

over a year ago

I myself suck at spelling i hate it in not stupid at all i just cant spell, and my grammar is apalling at school English was the subject i hated the most. When in talking on here i try and spell correctly and in full English but to any of my friends its txt and slang it all depends on what kind of impressions you want to give people pore spelling is not a turn off for me but that's because i suck at it also

over a year ago

I don't mind bad spelling or people using text speech.

I know i often spell words wrong but it doesn't mean i am lazy or lack brain power, its because i am dyslexic and i can check what i have spelt over and over again and even use a spell checker and i still can't tell what's spelt right and what's spelt wrong

I am educated and i take plenty of time giving pleasure when meeting people so anyone that judges me because of my spelling etc will be the one losing out

over a year ago

"Their profile is a window into their world. If their writing style or content does not work for you then best move on.

In my opinion, at best, poor spelling, grammar and text speak indicate laziness, and at worst intellectual incompatibility.

Please do not babble on about dyslexia. I have that and consequently take time to check my written messages before posting. "

Well then, you more than anyone else should understand that mixing words up and problems with spelling does not make you intellectually inferior to anyone else.

over a year ago

"Their profile is a window into their world. If their writing style or content does not work for you then best move on.

Please do not babble on about dyslexia. I have that and consequently take time to check my written messages before posting.

Well then, you more than anyone else should understand that mixing words up and problems with spelling does not make you intellectually inferior to anyone else."

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Please do not babble on about dyslexia. I have that and consequently take time to check my written messages before posting. "

over a year ago

Some people can't help it but saying that you do think that conversation with someone who uses it is going to be hard work so think twice.

over a year ago

Well lol and omg are in the OED nowadays, so maybe we should start dropping them in to conversations.

By *D40Couple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

No it puts me off too. I hate messages that are badly spelt with a lot of lol's after & in between.

A swinging friend of mine won't even respond to a message that has incorrect grammar etc...

Different strokes.....

over a year ago

Text speak is not incorrect grammar

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

They didn't say text speak was incorrect grammar.

over a year ago

"They didn't say text speak was incorrect grammar."

I did

By *ingersnthumbsMan
over a year ago

London

"I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Amzanig huh? Yaeh and you awlyas thguoht slpeling was ipmorantt."

over a year ago

What about people who are dyslexic? Laptops don't have predictive text... well mine doesn't anyways! My OH has problems with spelling and often mixes up 'our' and 'are' and things like that. That has nothing to do with his conversational skills or the kind of person he is. As someone else said, if that's how you judge people then THAT would put me off meeting you.

"

Totaly agree reading through this thread it tends to make me think people always shorten things even when speaking so ill ask now is there anyone on here that does not like text speak or words shorterned that wont shorten words in speak in real world

For example say i will i do etc instead of i'd understand.

We all do it sometime in life

over a year ago

""I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Amzanig huh? Yaeh and you awlyas thguoht slpeling was ipmorantt." "

LOL, very clever, I only wish I would have done that myself.

over a year ago

We think the worst profiles to "try" to read are the ones with no full stops. It gets rather annoying having to read each line 2 or 3 times just to find out where the last sentence stops & the next one starts. "Trying" to make sense of it can be hard work. If people can't even be bothered to use "understandable" punctuation, which, after school, should come as second nature, what else can't they be bothered to do... turn up? Wash properly? So we can't be bothered to read it & move on.

over a year ago

""I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Brill can read that perfectly

over a year ago

I use 'text speak' in the chat rooms because it's a faster way of communicating with people. However, on the forum and e-mail, I would write 'normally'. Nevertheless, providing I could understand the 'text speak', it would not bother me if they used it in the forum and e-mail. LOL, it's just a quick way of communicating with people.

By *vsnikkiTV/TS
over a year ago

Limavady

"Your not being a snob at all, as I am the same, it just makes me feel as if someone cannot put any effort in and will not be what I am looking for. x"

I'm the same.

over a year ago

It's more often than not the choice of words in a messages I receive, rather than the punctuation that turns me off.

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

We can understand many forms of communication and tend to make any decisions , when we meet people in the flesh!

By *ingersnthumbsMan
over a year ago

London

"We can understand many forms of communication and tend to make any decisions , when we meet people in the flesh! "

over a year ago

I guess we must be snobs. Text speak will virtually ensure a total lack of interest from us - ok for a text but nothing else.

Extremely poor grammar or spelling is not going to provoke a good response either.

Yes we have heard of dyslexia but frankly unless we are aware the person writing is a sufferer we will assume they are simply unintelligent.

By *adgodCouple
over a year ago

Greensburg

Definitely a turn off for us. And if that turns anyone off of us....we completely respect your preference.

over a year ago

Definitely turn off for me

over a year ago

Pls cld the sxy ppl tht cn read & wr1te in dffrnt frmts c0ntact me thn. Cos am not 2 fussy

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"We were just wondering if poor spelling and text speak on profiles puts you off from meeting? Or are we just word snobs? Lol

I guess we must be snobs. Text speak will virtually ensure a total lack of interest from us - ok for a text but nothing else.

Extremely poor grammar or spelling is not going to provoke a good response either.

Yes we have heard of dyslexia but frankly unless we are aware the person writing is a sufferer we will assume they are simply unintelligent.

"

So if you met people in the flesh, club for example.Chemistry was there, attraction etc ... All have a brilliant night. Then they give you a verification, with a word spelt wrong or bad spelling and grammar... Maybe a bit of txt speak in there too..Would you think they were unintelligent and have no more contact? My point being, how ever someone chooses to communicate , they could be totaly different in he flesh, even the most articulate can lack in manners, common sence and respect!

By *ingersnthumbsMan
over a year ago

London

"Pls cld the sxy ppl tht cn read & wr1te in dffrnt frmts c0ntact me thn. Cos am not 2 fussy "

Lol bût 90+ lng ting butt nver say nver lov te picts tho vry sxy

over a year ago

"Pls cld the sxy ppl tht cn read & wr1te in dffrnt frmts c0ntact me thn. Cos am not 2 fussy

Lol bût 90+ lng ting butt nver say nver lov te picts tho vry sxy "

Ta

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Text talk will often put me off but purely because I struggle to understand most of it.

I'm far from perfect, my spelling , grammar and punctuation are not great at all. If someone chooses not to meet/contact us because of it, oh well! Certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

No it doesn't put us off others, as long as we get the general gist of what they are trying to say.

over a year ago

"We were just wondering if poor spelling and text speak on profiles puts you off from meeting? Or are we just word snobs? Lol

So if you met people in the flesh, club for example.Chemistry was there, attraction etc ... All have a brilliant night. Then they give you a verification, with a word spelt wrong or bad spelling and grammar... Maybe a bit of txt speak in there too..Would you think they were unintelligent and have no more contact? My point being, how ever someone chooses to communicate , they could be totaly different in he flesh, even the most articulate can lack in manners, common sence and respect! "

True but its a bit like posting the ugliest photo of yourself that you possess. In the flesh you might be totally different.

Sending a message or a photo to someone on fab is a form of advertising. Make the most of that first contact because you might never get another chance.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/07/14 15:46:27]

over a year ago

"True but its a bit like posting the ugliest photo of yourself that you possess. In the flesh you might be totally different.

Sending a message or a photo to someone on fab is a form of advertising. Make the most of that first contact because you might never get another chance.

"

I do agree with this, first impressions etc. but it can also work the other way - messages with overly flowery language or that are too formal can be off putting too.

over a year ago

"Google 'text speak literacy' that should give you plenty.

It's now integrated into all sorts of communication and makes complete sense to use it (appropriately) on an informal medium such as this website - which many access using a phone.

"

I looked it up. Basically it was saying in writing tests students who regularly used text speech did not score worse than those who did not. The key point was they did not use text speech in the tests.

Abbreviated written speech followed oral speech hence "it is" becomes "it's" because it is easier to say. It is not necessarily easier to write though. Text speech like "How r u m8?" And "AFAIK OK" Is not from the same root.

Its use in profiles indicates something about the person to me and some others. That however is not your opinion and i support your right to think that.

over a year ago

"Google 'text speak literacy' that should give you plenty.

I looked it up. Basically it was saying in writing tests students who regularly used text speech did not score worse than those who did not. The key point was they did not use text speech in the tests.

Abbreviated written speech followed oral speech hence "it is" becomes "it's" because it is easier to say. It is not necessarily easier to write though. Text speech like "How r u m8?" And "AFAIK OK" Is not from the same root.

Its use in profiles indicates something about the person to me and some others. That however is not your opinion and i support your right to think that. "

There's more than one!

There is evidence that the use of abbreviated language requires a high level of literacy (additional decoding) - that assumes of course that texting is not the only language they understand (and for some I think it is!).

I agree that the use of it can sometimes be a message in itself, but personally I think the appropriate use of it is fine. Keeping in mind that for some the use of language is a tool for filtering out those they don't wish to communicate with - evidence of this is with most teenagers

It isn't true that the way we write follows from how we speak. In fact the way we speak has changed considerably more than how we write. OMG is now said aloud - it started as a written abbreviation.

over a year ago

Drives us insane!

over a year ago

"

I did not think intelligence was a requirement someone needed to have in order the have casual sex.

You are not going to make a life long commitment to the person so what does it matter if they are unintelligent?

over a year ago

"

I did not think intelligence was a requirement someone needed to have in order the have casual sex.

You are not going to make a life long commitment to the person so what does it matter if they are unintelligent?"

Strangely (not!)we actually prefer to have sex with people we like & whose company we enjoy.

If we do not actually enjoy a persons company why would we want to have sex with them?

over a year ago

"I did not think intelligence was a requirement someone needed to have in order the have casual sex.

You are not going to make a life long commitment to the person so what does it matter if they are unintelligent?

Strangely (not!)we actually prefer to have sex with people we like & whose company we enjoy.

If we do not actually enjoy a persons company why would we want to have sex with them?

"

What does someone's personality have to do with their ability to spell?

When you are in someone's company you are talking rather than writing. Therefore, their ability to articulate themselves vocally is far more important than their ability to articulate themselves in writing.

Just because someone can not spell properly does not imply that they can not talk properly.

By *ingersnthumbsMan
over a year ago

London

Wow...What a load of nonsense I'm reading from people! The mind boggles beyond belief

By *untime biatchWoman
over a year ago

ova by ea wales

love it haha

over a year ago

"I did not think intelligence was a requirement someone needed to have in order the have casual sex.

What does someone's personality have to do with their ability to spell?

When you are in someone's company you are talking rather than writing. Therefore, their ability to articulate themselves vocally is far more important than their ability to articulate themselves in writing.

Just because someone can not spell properly does not imply that they can not talk properly."

That's the whole point! They are not in our company - they are writing & that is the basis on which they are judged.

over a year ago

Not at all I personally h8 (lol) text speck and and slang, bad spelling on the other hand I don't mind so much

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

doesn't bother me

over a year ago

This seems like a no brainer to me.

I have not seen anyone who actively objects to a polite well written, properly spelt message.

On the other hand plenty are not impressed with text speak messages, poor grammar & dodgy spelling.

The obvious conclusion must be to increase your chances by taking a few extra minutes to check for typos & spelling mistakes.

Post new Message to Thread