Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

Is swinging the new gay

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not being politically incorrect hopefully but -

We are often struck by how society has not accepted swinging as 'normal' behaviour in the same way it judged gay people 20 years ago. Some of the statements you hear people make you could substitute 'swinger' for 'gay' and they would not sound out of place a few years back.

For example 'I could lose me job if my boss found out I was a swinger (gay)' or 'I could never tell my family and friends I was a swinger (gay)'

Not saying that everyone will want to come out and tell friends and family they are swingers (it's their sex life and private) but many people would be horrified and embarrassed if anyone in their social circle found out.

Gay people are rightly embraced by society and no longer persecuted or judged as much as in the past. However to the vanilla person in the street it's more 'normal' for someone to have sex behind their partners back in an affair (one to one) than for them to enjoy sex with other people.

Will bet that even many of the single guys who boast about bedding women they met on a Saturday night would not say as much about meeting a couple at a hotel for MFM.

Getting all philosophical but do you reckon we are one of the few remaining groups that society still judges and does anyone see attitudes changing anytime soon?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/05/14 09:57:41]

over a year ago

I think it is naive to believe that gay people are no longer judged.

Just because gay relationships are more acceptable I don't think, for one minute, that they are accepted.

In many cases, people do not want to see 2 people of the same sex being affectionate towards each other.

We went to Durham with 2 guys the other week who walked round holding hands.

The looks of horror on peoples faces along with the stopping and pointing was unreal. One couple even averted their childrens eyes.

So, if swinging is the new gay, we have a hell of a long walk ahead.

over a year ago

People will always judge; it's a way of making them feel superior to others. I openly talk to my daughters about my sex life,they know I have regular men I meet and that I meet strangers for sex. As long as you stay safe mum,is all I'm told. My gay friends aren't treated any different to my straight. It's how you teach your children that will change how they treat others

over a year ago

The other point I raise is that if swinging was ever to become accepted, just how many swingers would leave the scene ?

I get the impression that, for some, the cloak and dagger of it all is part of the attraction.

If it was ta-da in your face accepted, would it lose its edge ?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

"The other point I raise is that if swinging was ever to become accepted, just how many swingers would leave the scene ?

I get the impression that, for some, the cloak and dagger of it all is part of the attraction.

If it was ta-da in your face accepted, would it lose its edge ?"

That's an excellent point! In a world where most of us toe the line socially, swinging is the one covert, 'naughty' (but legal) thing we can do to spice up our otherwise mundane lives. Maybe that's part of the attraction.

over a year ago

I think there are some key differences...

Being gay isn't a choice...swinging is.

Just because you're gay doesn't mean you're a sexual predator....whereas if you're a swinger you almost certainly are, at least that's the way vanilla society would see it.

As a result of the first one we don't really deserve any extra human rights...and as a result of the second one it'll be really hard for conventional society to accept us into the fold. That's my thoughts on the matter (Mr)

over a year ago

Having said all that...I do think we're living through quite a conservative era in terms of people's lifestyles and would like to see a return to some of the experimentation of the Hippies...communities living together...polyamorous relationships...free love...flower power...etc. But it's not a rights issue...it's more of a cultural issue...culture...and courage.

over a year ago

Bdsm has the same 'stigma' attached to it. I've been on the fetish scene for a number of years now, and yes attitudes are changing but we are still classed as 'deviants' just because we like it. I think that no matter what you're into if it is different from the 'norm' then you'll be classed as odd. However I do think that the 'taboo' aspect of any scene like ours adds to the excitement lol

By *ueandpeteCouple
over a year ago

durham

All our social friends know not a big issue

Post new Message to Thread