Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swingers Chat

Gay and Bi Men, and HIV

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Was shocked to read that in the UK, 1 in 20 MSM (a new term to me, but it means 'men who have sex with men') are infected with HIV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21474066

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

the other factor is the gay/bi community is hit hard with being tested.. and therefore a larger percentage of them get regurly tested. i wander what the stastics would be if hetrosexuals were tested as much

over a year ago

I think the statistic should actually read that 1 in 20 of the msm tested is carrying HIV, not 1 in 20 of all msm.

The reality is that they do not know how many msm there are, so they cannot make a measurement of how many are positive apart from on the qty tested. It also doesnt divide the msm group into gay men and bi men.

It still doesnt take away from the fact that its a worrying statistic.

Its just a shame that straight men arent as willing to go and regularly be tested, maybe that would truly open the publics eyes to the bigger picture.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/02/13 15:21:31]

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I regular check ups, but prevention is better than cure, so I practice safe sex.

I did get a good chuckle the last time I went, when the nurse asked how many partners and I said I'd have to check my website if they wanted something definitive.....

over a year ago

"Was shocked to read that in the UK, 1 in 20 MSM (a new term to me, but it means 'men who have sex with men') are infected with HIV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21474066"

Younger people tend to take more risks than middle aged people, hetrosexual or otherwise, it seems that cathing a dose now is just normal part of life, sadly HIV is out there and people are not worrying about it, I hear young people saying, well she looks clean! wft

One comment on here that is very true is that maybe the people in higher risk groups get tested more often, so therefore they are showing up more for a statistic! It can not be one in 20, more one in 20 that get regular tests as they are the people that are taking the risks.

Watched a few tv progs following gum clinics and it is shocking when you see the people on there: Well I have had the clap 4 times or I have been tested 20 times as I keep having unprotected sex!!!

I do hate sensationalism like this article on the BBC, it could so easily get us back to the old days when people hunt out and attack those that are not as they put it normal i.e. 100% str8. SO many men and women have or would like to try thier bi-side! The answer is, be carefull and use protection! Then have fun.....

over a year ago

"the other factor is the gay/bi community is hit hard with being tested.. and therefore a larger percentage of them get regurly tested. i wander what the stastics would be if hetrosexuals were tested as much"

I wonder what the statistics would be if the vanilla's EVER got tested!!

over a year ago

There are so many barebackers on this site and everyone wonders why HIV is on the increase. Barebacking is a mugs game.

over a year ago

"There are so many barebackers on this site and everyone wonders why HIV is on the increase. Barebacking is a mugs game."

over a year ago

"There are so many barebackers on this site and everyone wonders why HIV is on the increase. Barebacking is a mugs game."

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"There are so many barebackers on this site and everyone wonders why HIV is on the increase. Barebacking is a mugs game. "

Death sentence in the making..

over a year ago

By *ot30scoupleCouple
over a year ago

Oxford, London

Not entirely sure why this has been posted as a topic; seems rather like negativity or scaremongering...I'm sure there are lots of instances of all kinds of sti's amongst people who have sex, so not really necessary to single out one group based on sexuality.

By *andCCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

"Not entirely sure why this has been posted as a topic; seems rather like negativity or scaremongering...I'm sure there are lots of instances of all kinds of sti's amongst people who have sex, so not really necessary to single out one group based on sexuality. "

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

I asked this question on another thread.

what's the statistic for people only having heterosexual sex,not involving anal,who have HIV.

Whether they are tested or not,the symptoms would dictate their course of action.

To often with HIV,scaremongering is the preferred tactic,where as honesty,would likely be the most effective route.

By *uncpl2015Couple
over a year ago

Bridgend Area

But surely what should matter is that if everyone put something on the end of it no matter what your orientation then the number affected with hiv or anything else would drop.. it has to.. Thats what people should be concentrating on whos got what in percentages.. this although a point i have read in several reports not just bbc but medically too.. the ones that should be made to wake up and do something are the ones that increase the risk doing bareback.. but also and even more prob the ones that do but dont admit it.

A mature responsible attitude should be a must for this lifestyle..but it seems is not..

over a year ago

"I asked this question on another thread.

what's the statistic for people only having heterosexual sex,not involving anal,who have HIV.

Whether they are tested or not,the symptoms would dictate their course of action.

To often with HIV,scaremongering is the preferred tactic,where as honesty,would likely be the most effective route."

And all the hetero non-swingers continue d*unkenly shagging strangers bareback every weekend.... Because it's not their problem.........

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Some interesting comments. Let me say that I opened this post simply because it seemed to me that the figure quoted by the Health Protection Agency in their 2012 report (and as featured in the BBC article) of 1 in 20 MSM being infected by HIV was shocking, and something the swinging community should know about. In the same report, the HPA say that, based on the overall UK population, 1 in 500 men and 1 in 1,000 women are infected with HIV. This throws the 1 in 20 stat into even sharper relief.

I'll leave others to decide for themselves what, if anything, it means to them and their lifestyles. But please don't shoot the messenger for sharing some facts, however negative they might appear

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"the other factor is the gay/bi community is hit hard with being tested.. and therefore a larger percentage of them get regurly tested. i wander what the stastics would be if hetrosexuals were tested as much"

agreed..

how many of the folk playing away are also having regular testing..

Post new Message to Thread