Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Makeup Advice

Jump to newest

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

I am looking for someone to run through some makeup advice with me.

Preferably someone that I can meet and have the makeup applied and talk through it as it is done, advising as we go.

Needs to be in the Newcastle area ish.

Can anyone help.

Xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Makeup for a Tgirl is different from a woman, as we need to hide beard growth and soften chins etc..

Most girls I have met, literally bought books and just practised. However these days, the YouTube makeup tutorials are really good so you wouldn't have to get a book.

Cheap make-up looks cheap, buy the best quality you can, especially foundation.

If you really need someone to show you try finding a Tgirl social, turn up in drab and explain your situation I'm sure someone will be able to help in your area

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

I went to a lot of beauty salons for make overs and advice. If you contact them beforehand and explain things. some will see the likes of us. Also practice a lot by yourself. You will eventually get the look you require. I co host t birds club which is on once a month. Someone there would help out.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'd you can't find anyone try YouTube there are loads of make up tutorials for TV/ts on there

By *tace 309TV/TS
over a year ago

durham

Not every t girl is the same. I have v smooth natural soft skin so it's quite easy for me

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

"I went to a lot of beauty salons for make overs and advice. If you contact them beforehand and explain things. some will see the likes of us. Also practice a lot by yourself. You will eventually get the look you require. I co host t birds club which is on once a month. Someone there would help out. "

this, email them if too shy to phone. I met a girl at Sparkle who's salon encourages anyone from our community. She just didn't know where to advertise to try and get more clients.

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

Hi and thanks for all the advice.

I do practice alot and it's getting better but I am still not happy with the skin complexion and tone. Also I still think it can end up a little too heavy.

I'll keep at it though,

Xx

over a year ago

"Makeup for a Tgirl is different from a woman, as we need to hide beard growth and soften chins etc..

Most girls I have met, literally bought books and just practised. However these days, the YouTube makeup tutorials are really good so you wouldn't have to get a book.

If you really need someone to show you try finding a Tgirl social, turn up in drab and explain your situation I'm sure someone will be able to help in your area "

I wouldn't agree that cheap makeup looks cheap. Maybe 10 years ago it did but in the past few years drugstore brands have really stepped up their game and there are some great formulas out there (especially foundation, mascara and lipstick). If your issue is complexion I would look around and get free samples of foundations and concealers from department stores or use testers in drugstores. I've used a LOT of high end foundations at £30/£35 per pop but the one I get most compliments on is a £7 Rimmel one which makes my skin look flawless. Also don't forget that a good complexion starts with good skincare so make sure to establish a proper routine of cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturising. Make sure you're wearing spf whenever you're outside, not just when it's sunny (most moisturisers and foundations have spf mixed in but you can buy it on its own too). Drink plenty of water and don't forget to prep your skin before applying makeup. By this I mean apply moisturiser, let it soak into your skin, then apply a good primer appropriate for your skin type before anything else. Hope this helps; PM me if you need any more tips x

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

"Makeup for a Tgirl is different from a woman, as we need to hide beard growth and soften chins etc..

If you really need someone to show you try finding a Tgirl social, turn up in drab and explain your situation I'm sure someone will be able to help in your area

I wouldn't agree that cheap makeup looks cheap. Maybe 10 years ago it did but in the past few years drugstore brands have really stepped up their game and there are some great formulas out there (especially foundation, mascara and lipstick). If your issue is complexion I would look around and get free samples of foundations and concealers from department stores or use testers in drugstores. I've used a LOT of high end foundations at £30/£35 per pop but the one I get most compliments on is a £7 Rimmel one which makes my skin look flawless. Also don't forget that a good complexion starts with good skincare so make sure to establish a proper routine of cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturising. Make sure you're wearing spf whenever you're outside, not just when it's sunny (most moisturisers and foundations have spf mixed in but you can buy it on its own too). Drink plenty of water and don't forget to prep your skin before applying makeup. By this I mean apply moisturiser, let it soak into your skin, then apply a good primer appropriate for your skin type before anything else. Hope this helps; PM me if you need any more tips x"

Hi Amber, thanks for the advice, I do use moisturisers prior to using foundation and I find it does help.

I need to find a good colour as I can sometimes find I look either like, death warmed up, or bright orange. I guess I am using too much.

Unfortunately I can't PM you as I am out of your age range but you could PM me as I would like to chat further with you on this,

Xx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

If you can, get yourself matched to foundation. It's hard to match yourself.

My favourite foundation is Boots No 7 and I have tried higher end ones.

over a year ago

I wouldn't agree that cheap makeup looks cheap. Maybe 10 years ago it did but in the past few years drugstore brands have really stepped up their game and there are some great formulas out there (especially foundation, mascara and lipstick). If your issue is complexion I would look around and get free samples of foundations and concealers from department stores or use testers in drugstores. I've used a LOT of high end foundations at £30/£35 per pop but the one I get most compliments on is a £7 Rimmel one which makes my skin look flawless. Also don't forget that a good complexion starts with good skincare so make sure to establish a proper routine of cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturising. Make sure you're wearing spf whenever you're outside, not just when it's sunny (most moisturisers and foundations have spf mixed in but you can buy it on its own too). Drink plenty of water and don't forget to prep your skin before applying makeup. By this I mean apply moisturiser, let it soak into your skin, then apply a good primer appropriate for your skin type before anything else. Hope this helps; PM me if you need any more tips x

Hi Amber, thanks for the advice, I do use moisturisers prior to using foundation and I find it does help.

I need to find a good colour as I can sometimes find I look either like, death warmed up, or bright orange. I guess I am using too much.

Unfortunately I can't PM you as I am out of your age range but you could PM me as I would like to chat further with you on this,

Xx"

Boots No7 counter have a hand held device they put against the skin, it then gives the best foundation colour for you

i was given 'Calico'

In each range of make up ie eye shadow/lipstick, theres cards indicating 'flattering for calico' or whichever was suggested for your complexion

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

Xx

Boots No7 counter have a hand held device they put against the skin, it then gives the best foundation colour for you

i was given 'Calico'

In each range of make up ie eye shadow/lipstick, theres cards indicating 'flattering for calico' or whichever was suggested for your complexion

"

Hi thanks for that, I think the consensus I'd that I need to go and get colour match and this sound like an easy way to do it.

I think I'll give it a try,

Xx

over a year ago

My advice is four fold :

1. Go to the Clinique counter and get the Beyond Perfection 2 in 1 foundation and concealer matched to your skin tone, then go one shade darker. This has higher pigment than normal foundation so good to hide most of the beard shadow. Going one shade darker will help to camouflage the colour correction you will apply later.

2. Buy the orange colour correction from derma colour and apply this on the grey areas where beard shadow is after your apply the foundation.

3. Contour and highlight to give the face a feminine shape.

4. Powder the shit out of it to set everything by PRESSING the powder in and then spray with water spray like evian or avene and blow dry to set it.

By *ippa 63TV/TS
over a year ago

Billinge

I use Boot no7. But firstly use a primer. No7 foundation wheat. Power foundation. Bronzing pearls. Thats my base.

By *adyx4Woman
over a year ago

Durham

Xx

i was given 'Calico'

Hi thanks for that, I think the consensus I'd that I need to go and get colour match and this sound like an easy way to do it.

Xx "

I took a cd into the Durham Boots for this it’s a great service and very reasonably priced. I’ll pm you as I know a fab make up artist

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

Most girls I have met, literally bought books and just practised. However these days, the YouTube makeup tutorials are really good so you wouldn't have to get a book.,

Xx

i was given 'Calico'

Xx

I took a cd into the Durham Boots for this it’s a great service and very reasonably priced. I’ll pm you as I know a fab make up artist "

Brilliant thanks,

Xx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Look into colours as well. These rules aren't set in stone, but they can help. What eyeshadow or lipstick works with your eye, lip and hair (wig) colour? (eyeshadow for eye colour is the easiest to find)

So certain colours make me come to life, others make me look really ill.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

From memory there are dressing and make up services on TVChix

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

"Look into colours as well. These rules aren't set in stone, but they can help. What eyeshadow or lipstick works with your eye, lip and hair (wig) colour? (eyeshadow for eye colour is the easiest to find)

So certain colours make me come to life, others make me look really ill. "

I love to wear blues and greens, along with black dresses. I prefer blond hair and don't think I look good with dark hair. I love blue and purple eye makeup along with green. For lipstick I love vibes red as long as I can get crisp lines.

Probably odd combinations I know,

Xx

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

Hi Gemini,

Sorry for coming late to this, but here is my ‘penneth’ and in the main I agree with much of the above;

- make up counters are usually sooo very helpful .. after all they want to sell you something! I went for a colour match in Boots ages ago, and was in male mode at the time. The lady didn’t bat an eye and was very helpful. I often browse make up counters now.. in femme mode and the ladies love to help. One word of caution though. We do have slightly different needs as alluded to, and sometimes the ladies on make up counters don’t quite understand it.... particularly regarding foundation and cover sticks etc.

- YouTube .... again fab tips on there.

- buy the best you can afford .... quality does count.

- practice at home or when you can ... you will find what suits you and looks right.

- you might want to try a ‘dressing service’. These are specialist places that offer TVs who can’t dress at home or want to experience being dressed. They also usually offer make up lessons and DO understand our needs so are quite good. It was my first experience of dressing fully many years ago and was where dressing fully really began for me.

- moisturise all the time .... look after your skin.

You already look very femme from your pics, so would imagine lovely make up,would be the icing on the cake for you xxx

Hope that helps

Rachel xxx

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Look into colours as well. These rules aren't set in stone, but they can help. What eyeshadow or lipstick works with your eye, lip and hair (wig) colour? (eyeshadow for eye colour is the easiest to find)

So certain colours make me come to life, others make me look really ill.

I love to wear blues and greens, along with black dresses. I prefer blond hair and don't think I look good with dark hair. I love blue and purple eye makeup along with green. For lipstick I love vibes red as long as I can get crisp lines.

Probably odd combinations I know,

Xx"

Oh, I'm thinking less what you like, more what makes you look good. You use colour to emphasise certain features, and unfortunately that can also work against you.

over a year ago

I like the death warmed up colour

I’ve never found a makeup counter that matches my skin but gives a good coverage.

On the shelf foundations are really good now - Primark has a good foundation range with good coverage.

I prefer to go light foundation wise then use blusher and contour

I agree with other posts on here that YouTube is the way to go. Find people who have makeup the way you want yours and follow them.

Generally less is more, highlight your best features. Your clothes are stylish so go for a makeup look that works for you.

Good luck

By *erdycouplCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

If you go to a make up counter, take a mirror outside to check the colour of your foundation before you buy! Orange concealers for dark circles will hide any facial shadow once you've applied your foundation.

Make sure you use a decent moisturiser and primer, smash box do amazing primers. Learning to contour will do wonders too!

A decent make up artist will teach you what colours suit you and what works with your skin tone etc.

Good luck with it

By *helleyj69TV/TS
over a year ago

everywhere!!

"Hi Gemini,

Sorry for coming late to this, but here is my ‘penneth’ and in the main I agree with much of the above;

- make up counters are usually sooo very helpful .. after all they want to sell you something! I went for a colour match in Boots ages ago, and was in male mode at the time. The lady didn’t bat an eye and was very helpful. I often browse make up counters now.. in femme mode and the ladies love to help. One word of caution though. We do have slightly different needs as alluded to, and sometimes the ladies on make up counters don’t quite understand it.... particularly regarding foundation and cover sticks etc.

- YouTube .... again fab tips on there.

- buy the best you can afford .... quality does count.

- practice at home or when you can ... you will find what suits you and looks right.

- you might want to try a ‘dressing service’. These are specialist places that offer TVs who can’t dress at home or want to experience being dressed. They also usually offer make up lessons and DO understand our needs so are quite good. It was my first experience of dressing fully many years ago and was where dressing fully really began for me.

- moisturise all the time .... look after your skin.

You already look very femme from your pics, so would imagine lovely make up,would be the icing on the cake for you xxx

Hope that helps

Rachel xxx"

i agree totally, the girls in any boots stores can’t do enough for you, and it doesn’t matter if you you turn up male or fem. x

By *J Gemini OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Northumberland

Thanks for all the advice, I now have a better understanding of what to look for and who to go to, so once again thank you all,

Xx

Post new Message to Thread