Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Just discovered home STI testing

Jump to newest

By *nasuit OP   Man
over a year ago

Ruislip

This is great everyone should do it, order a kit from

https://www.sh24.org.uk/

Collect from a pharmacy or have it delivered. Take a urine sample, poke a hole in your finger and take a blood sample (that's the difficult bit, but they do supply the wipes and lances) Send off your samples in the freepost envelope, results by text in 72hrs or less.

All clear sorted!

Miles better than the local clinics that they keep closing down.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"This is great everyone should do it, order a kit from

Collect from a pharmacy or have it delivered. Take a urine sample, poke a hole in your finger and take a blood sample (that's the difficult bit, but they do supply the wipes and lances) Send off your samples in the freepost envelope, results by text in 72hrs or less.

All clear sorted!

Miles better than the local clinics that they keep closing down."

Only available in a limited number of areas and you're putting a lot of faith in the post office not losing/damaging your sample.

Clinics are still the best and most effective way to get tested even if you have to travel to get to one - sample 'hand' delivered and no chance of it going missing.

Plus would you be happy to wait for a kit to be delivered if you were the slightest bit concerned about any symptoms?

A

By *iss SinWoman
over a year ago

portchester

I use this and it’s great

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

All clear sorted!

Only available in a limited number of areas and you're putting a lot of faith in the post office not losing/damaging your sample.

Clinics are still the best and most effective way to get tested even if you have to travel to get to one - sample 'hand' delivered and no chance of it going missing.

Plus would you be happy to wait for a kit to be delivered if you were the slightest bit concerned about any symptoms?

A"

If it goes missing then you request and do a new one. I think this is much easier and helps people worried about the anonymity issue of using a clinic

over a year ago

Not available in our area

By *ndrew CareyMan
over a year ago

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire

All clear sorted!

Been using this for ages when I moved away from a busy town.

Convenient and easy to do

By *nasuit OP   Man
over a year ago

Ruislip

Should always get tested a couple of times a year whether you have symptoms or not.

Clinics are closing and it's shocking that home testing isn't available nationwide yet.

Even big clinics round London seem to only be open on a couple of afternoons per week and don't have available appointments for months ahead. If I had any kind of symptoms I'd want answers a lot sooner, getting to a GP quickly can also be a challenge.

Also had a previous bad experience with a local clinc where they simply fogot to text me any results. Weeks of stress before I finally chased them to get the all clear.

Sh24 text you when the samples arrive at the lab so if they did go astray in the post you can just order another test, none of your details other than a bar code get posted.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

All clear sorted!

A

If it goes missing then you request and do a new one. I think this is much easier and helps people worried about the anonymity issue of using a clinic "

Don't get me wrong - anything that encourages testing is a good thing. But we live in the middle of fuck no's where in the countryside and I can still get to a clinic with a 15 minute drive.

I suspect it's more the 'anonymity' side that people a keen on, but worrying about getting spotted by Shirley who works in the shop down the road shouldn't be a deterrent to getting a check up. Whenever we've been it's virtually wall to wall teenagers who are panicking after a one night stand, rather than anyone our age.

With the existing pressures on NHS finances I just worry about the cost (most likely the reason it hasn't been rolled out nationally - if you check the website if you're outside of the 15 regions tests are charged for) and that these will be ordered by many 'in advance' to be kept in a drawer til someone gets an itchy crotch.

People shouldn't be afraid of clinics. Sadly many are.

A

over a year ago

Recently found out both local clinics in My area in Staffordshire have closed.

This SH24 service is not available in my postcode area. When you look up the cost for home kits the price is absolutely eye watering.

Probably a bit of a recipe for spread of disease. Please Theresa, sort Brexit out and restore some sanity to the way things are heading in this country.

over a year ago

I use them but they only have so many a day they can send out and it took weeks for me to get my name on that days list and I only managed it that day by staying up late and requesting it at 3 in the morning making me the first few of the day.

They keep you informed of everything by text so you know when it had been sent, delivered to you, received back and then a text with the results.

Sadly I had an issue with my HIV and they had to call me instead of texting the results. They were very discreet though texting me asking if they could call me and when. I asked them to call as soon as possible and they called 20 minutes later.

He arranged for me to go to a local clinic ASAP for a retest and the clinic were great in getting the retest results the next morning. Definitely negative the second time.

The clinic did say that they have had issues with sh24 test results not confirming a positive nor negative result and the clinic having to redo it. So an unnecessary scare over HIV.

I will probably not use them again for the HIV test only the other tests.

By *ackD9Man
over a year ago

shropshire

I’ve used that service twice this year. It’s great, IMO a no brainer if it’s available to you. It’s convenient and free, and even if you haven’t got symptoms it’s a good idea to get checked.

It can be tricky getting a kit though, thanks to the limited number per day they send.

over a year ago

"I’ve used that service twice this year. It’s great, IMO a no brainer if it’s available to you. It’s convenient and free, and even if you haven’t got symptoms it’s a good idea to get checked.

It can be tricky getting a kit though, thanks to the limited number per day they send. "

I have to thank the poster of the link to the home kit. I’m extremely careful with my sexual health but think it’s a good idea for regular checks and this is extremely convenient. I ordered mine last week and it arrived the next day.

over a year ago

I like going to my local GUM clinic, the staff are all lovely and take care of me and my ridiculous fear of needles

By *rent Bridge SwingersCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Purple Mamba Club have the free and confidential clinics every two months - and info on safe sex if asked x

over a year ago

I asked someone about home testing kits and was told they dont test for everything...where as the GUM clinic will , if asked (but sime may charge to provide a certificate)

By *ackD9Man
over a year ago

shropshire

"I asked someone about home testing kits and was told they dont test for everything...where as the GUM clinic will , if asked (but sime may charge to provide a certificate)"

They test for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and HIV if you request it. They also offer online diagnosis (and treatment by post) for genital warts and herpes.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I asked someone about home testing kits and was told they dont test for everything...where as the GUM clinic will , if asked (but sime may charge to provide a certificate)

They test for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and HIV if you request it. They also offer online diagnosis (and treatment by post) for genital warts and herpes. "

Not always, depends on your area. Each NHS trust runs this service differently.

My area does basic swab tests, no bloods & no oral swabs in the postal packs. Clinic testing is much more thorough.

Anyone playing with multiple partners should be tested every three months, that’s even with safe sex - that’s the advice of the NHS & the sexual health clinics.

By *ackD9Man
over a year ago

shropshire

"Not always, depends on your area. Each NHS trust runs this service differently."

I stand corrected - just assumed they’d all offer the same

over a year ago

The last time I visited our local GUM clinic someone I knew had started working there. So fucking embarrassing!! This postal one sounds perfect.

over a year ago

Not available in my area.

over a year ago

I only ever practice safe sex so this would be a waste of time and effort and money.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I only ever practice safe sex so this would be a waste of time and effort and money. "

So you never give a woman oral or let her give you a blow job without a condom ?

over a year ago

All clear sorted!

As two people very new on here, and to any form of swinging, what do they test for?

over a year ago

No never

over a year ago

"No never "

We are the same. No oral or full sex.

I just watch. But what about deep kissing? Any risks??

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman
over a year ago

Hampshire

Been using this service for the past year.

So much more convenient than trying to get an appointment at a clinic.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I've been trying for ages to order a home test kit but every time I do no matter the time of day they're over the allocation for the day.

And to the person that said they only practice safe sex, including for oral - there are any number of STIs that can be passed on even with condom use - you should still be regularly tested if you're actively playing with multiple partners

over a year ago

All clear sorted!

A"

So send another one if they lose it. Not exactly a big deal.

And, yes, there are no big fast acting stis, and of course symptoms are Not the reason to be getting tested.

over a year ago

"I've been trying for ages to order a home test kit but every time I do no matter the time of day they're over the allocation for the day.

And to the person that said they only practice safe sex, including for oral - there are any number of STIs that can be passed on even with condom use - you should still be regularly tested if you're actively playing with multiple partners"

Have you tried in the early hours of the morning. I eventually got on the list by staying up and trying at 3am.

over a year ago

Suprised I’m not the only one whose awake!

over a year ago

All clear sorted!

As two people very new on here, and to any form of swinging, what do they test for? "

Messaged you answer

By *essica jamiesonWoman
over a year ago

edinburgh

"The last time I visited our local GUM clinic someone I knew had started working there. So fucking embarrassing!! This postal one sounds perfect. "
This is what i cant get my head around! Why are u embarrased? U are looking after ur sexual health, im sure the person who works there wudnt think " oh u must be on fab!" I wudnt care less if my next door neighbour was the nurse giving me my bum swabs! Lol never ever be embarrased

over a year ago

"The last time I visited our local GUM clinic someone I knew had started working there. So fucking embarrassing!! This postal one sounds perfect. This is what i cant get my head around! Why are u embarrased? U are looking after ur sexual health, im sure the person who works there wudnt think " oh u must be on fab!" I wudnt care less if my next door neighbour was the nurse giving me my bum swabs! Lol never ever be embarrased

"

Preach

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I've been trying for ages to order a home test kit but every time I do no matter the time of day they're over the allocation for the day.

"

I can get a home test kit in my area but I have to lie and pretend I'm under 25 !

over a year ago

"I only ever practice safe sex so this would be a waste of time and effort and money. "

I’m in a similar situation to you - you still may need to get checked no matter how careful you are. It can still happen. Stay safe. I think every form of checking should be discussed more and more options available.

over a year ago

I can get a home test kit in my area but I have to lie and pretend I'm under 25 !"

Does that mean some are free?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

They are free in Leeds.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/12/18 07:21:55]

over a year ago

"I only ever practice safe sex so this would be a waste of time and effort and money.

So when you receive and give oral you use protection too?"

A split happens too.

over a year ago

Well you're, somebody to be blocked and avoided. I hate hearing that on the swinging scene, scary naivety

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

And to the person that said they only practice safe sex, including for oral - there are any number of STIs that can be passed on even with condom use - you should still be regularly tested if you're actively playing with multiple partners

Have you tried in the early hours of the morning. I eventually got on the list by staying up and trying at 3am."

Thanks for the tip - bizarrely after weeks of trying I've just managed to successfully order a kit at just before 9am

over a year ago

For those that are worried that STI clinics are embarrassing, please know this. Health professionals choose to work in this field because they love it, they relish meeting you, testing you and allaying your fears. That is what they are there for and we pay for them to be there. I have never felt anything but completely cared for without any judgement whatsoever. So please, please don't feel embarrassed. Postal testing is great, but my personal experience is the whole process can be very emotional, especially if there has been a mishap, so a friendly, supportive professional is very welcome. And it's totally confidential, the clinic records are kept separated from your main NHS notes.

over a year ago

I can get a home test kit in my area but I have to lie and pretend I'm under 25 !

Does that mean some are free?"

All free no idea why you have to lie

over a year ago

Can catch off toilet seat

over a year ago

I did my test yesterday and getting the amount of blood they needed wasn’t easy. I suggest running hands under warm water after the first prick. I used all 3 pricking tools on the same finger. Managed to do it in the end luckily.

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

"I only ever practice safe sex so this would be a waste of time and effort and money.

Well you're, somebody to be blocked and avoided. I hate hearing that on the swinging scene, scary naivety "

So many people say this, yet body contact & oral you can still pick up sti that need treatment as won't clear on their own

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Can catch off toilet seat"

And that's about as helpful (regardless of whether you were being ironic or not) as saying getting tested is a waste of time and effort if you practice safe sex!!

There's far too much ignorance about sexual health let's not make it worse!!

over a year ago

"I did my test yesterday and getting the amount of blood they needed wasn’t easy. I suggest running hands under warm water after the first prick. I used all 3 pricking tools on the same finger. Managed to do it in the end luckily. "

Did you do as instucted and create blood by squeezing first , worked perfectly for me with one .

over a year ago

"I did my test yesterday and getting the amount of blood they needed wasn’t easy. I suggest running hands under warm water after the first prick. I used all 3 pricking tools on the same finger. Managed to do it in the end luckily.

Did you do as instucted and create blood by squeezing first , worked perfectly for me with one ."

Yes even doing that I struggled

By *reamytitwankCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

This type of test does not cover all STIs. And you can catch STIs in your throat and anus.

By *lan157Man
over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I tried the kit. I could not get enough blood from my finger even with three attempts.Someone suggested I tried a toe next time.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"This type of test does not cover all STIs. And you can catch STIs in your throat and anus. "

I think it may vary by area - I ordered a kit on-line from SH24 the other day and it covers everything they test for at the GUM clinic including throat and anal swabs

over a year ago

I've used SHL(Sexual health London ) www.shl.uk.

My test kit arrived within two days and it had the lances,a vaginal swab and a little tube for the blood sample...Filling the little tube was the hardest..

The postage is pre-paid and it is actually very safe...I got my result within 24 hours...It was fast and very effective

over a year ago

This topic is facinating how naive a lot of people are.

Sex clinics are the best way but be honest tell them oral or anal too. Plus wait the required incubation periods or it may not show up.

Women dont share your toys, keep them clean. Women to women can pass too.

One of my pet hates, guys who sneak around fucking others. The risks are not important to some. I value my clean bill of health.

Post new Message to Thread