Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

STI Self test kit reliability

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm hoping somebody has a bit of an inside track on this.

I was just about to arrange our routine GUM clinic tests as you do, or should, and the NHS website gave us an option of a self test kit to be sent to our home address.

I've never seen this before, and obviously a home test is very convenient, but is it as good as bloods and urine cultures?

Now if the answer is 'results are positive in 99% of cases identified in the lab', that is wonderful news but if the answer is 70% I would go to a clinic. Does anybody know how good these things are? Have they been approved by NICE and are there any published results?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I'm hoping somebody has a bit of an inside track on this.

I was just about to arrange our routine GUM clinic tests as you do, or should, and the NHS website gave us an option of a self test kit to be sent to our home address.

I've never seen this before, and obviously a home test is very convenient, but is it as good as bloods and urine cultures?

Now if the answer is 'results are positive in 99% of cases identified in the lab', that is wonderful news but if the answer is 70% I would go to a clinic. Does anybody know how good these things are? Have they been approved by NICE and are there any published results? "

I’m interested to know as well

over a year ago

lloyds pharmacy do them and they are good. sent in the post and results in paper and emailed to you

By *he RingmasterMan
over a year ago

Canford Cliffs

"lloyds pharmacy do them and they are good. sent in the post and results in paper and emailed to you"

Do they come in a package with 'Discreet Home Sexual infection Analysis Kit emblazoned on the outside?

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

We use the NHS post ones, really good the package is plain & you get results 7days. We do go GUM clinic also as they do throat swab & hepb injections if you not immune

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

A lot of health authorities are introducing them as a way of cutting down on people visiting clinics - I asked last time I went for testing and was told that the postal tests are exactly the same as the ones you get in the clinic and cover the same things, you just fill out an on-line questionnaire rather thanspeaking to a nurse to determine what tests you need.

This may of course vary by health authority though.

over a year ago

"I'm hoping somebody has a bit of an inside track on this.

Now if the answer is 'results are positive in 99% of cases identified in the lab', that is wonderful news but if the answer is 70% I would go to a clinic. Does anybody know how good these things are? Have they been approved by NICE and are there any published results? "

My area doesn't offer this but I do use the same ones you can buy - they are urine or blood tests depending on which you choose. They use the same commercial laboratories and most have been approved. For the HIV test I use the one approved by the Terence Higgins Trust.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"We do go GUM clinic also as they do throat swab & hepb injections if you not immune"

Doesn't a throat swab just repeat the urine test? (if one is positive the other will be too?), or is there a specific reason for throat AND blood AND urine?

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

"We do go GUM clinic also as they do throat swab & hepb injections if you not immune

Doesn't a throat swab just repeat the urine test? (if one is positive the other will be too?), or is there a specific reason for throat AND blood AND urine?"

We use condoms but not for oral

By *olden_Road_to_SamarkandMan
over a year ago

ANDOVER

Yes - the throat swab picks up results that you can't get from urine or blood - i.e. gonorrhoea. Important as the drug resistant strains arise in the throat.

A big part of any test is proper swabbing - as such home tests are significantly less reliable than clinic tests.

Hope this helps.

S

over a year ago

I struggled the first time to do the blood sample but after a little practice find it really simple.

It’s convenient, discreet and quick. Saves on time waiting at a clinic. Definitely think they are a fantastic idea.

S x

over a year ago

"Yes - the throat swab picks up results that you can't get from urine or blood - i.e. gonorrhoea. Important as the drug resistant strains arise in the throat.

A big part of any test is proper swabbing - as such home tests are significantly less reliable than clinic tests.

Hope this helps.

S"

I do go to the clinic for a throat swab so usually do a home test and then next time one is due will visit a clinic. It is a shame they do not include a throat swab.

over a year ago

"Yes - the throat swab picks up results that you can't get from urine or blood - i.e. gonorrhoea. Important as the drug resistant strains arise in the throat.

Hope this helps.

S

I do go to the clinic for a throat swab so usually do a home test and then next time one is due will visit a clinic. It is a shame they do not include a throat swab. "

You can buy them online.

over a year ago

Hope this helps.

S"

Our GUM clinic sends the ladies off to swab themselves anyway so if the actual lab procedure is the same then should be just as reliable

L x

By *lorious hole bs16Man
over a year ago

Bristol

With the nhs currently strapped for cash, this seems like the way forward, I was reading the other day about how much it costs for people going for check ups,without symptoms,monthly and getting the all clear..

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

I used one in August and ultimately it worked well, got the results a few days later.

However i have two caveats.

1. In totally unused to lancets and pricking myself for blood. I did so but couldn't stop my finger bleeding after I'd filled the vial and had a full on panic attack.

2. Due to the above, somehow i didn't fill the vial enough for the syphilis test. Got a text on bank holiday Monday asking to call the clinic which really worried me. But it turned out that they just wanted to tell me that all tests were negative but that they couldn't do syph.

over a year ago

"A lot of health authorities are introducing them as a way of cutting down on people visiting clinics - I asked last time I went for testing and was told that the postal tests are exactly the same as the ones you get in the clinic and cover the same things, you just fill out an on-line questionnaire rather thanspeaking to a nurse to determine what tests you need.

This may of course vary by health authority though. "

It does. Leeds Sexual Health services are overwhelmed. I have to budget half a day waiting to get tested. They don’t offer home kits, although they kindly offer 10% off when you buy one, at £99 for a comprehensive one.

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

"A lot of health authorities are introducing them as a way of cutting down on people visiting clinics - I asked last time I went for testing and was told that the postal tests are exactly the same as the ones you get in the clinic and cover the same things, you just fill out an on-line questionnaire rather thanspeaking to a nurse to determine what tests you need.

It does. Leeds Sexual Health services are overwhelmed. I have to budget half a day waiting to get tested. They don’t offer home kits, although they kindly offer 10% off when you buy one, at £99 for a comprehensive one."

Clubs do free full testing

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

You realise that they're just as accurate because the all get sent to the same labs. Gum clinics don't do the testing in house, they package up your samples and send them to a laboratory. The home kits do blood, urine and genital swabs

over a year ago

It does. Leeds Sexual Health services are overwhelmed. I have to budget half a day waiting to get tested. They don’t offer home kits, although they kindly offer 10% off when you buy one, at £99 for a comprehensive one.

Clubs do free full testing"

Not the Leeds ones.

By *ngelina4uWoman
over a year ago

Camberley/Middleton

Totally pointless for a good third of fab members how on earth would you get them to read the instructions to get accurate results as they clearly can't read a profile.

Or am I being unrealistically pessimistic.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

"Totally pointless for a good third of fab members how on earth would you get them to read the instructions to get accurate results as they clearly can't read a profile.

Or am I being unrealistically pessimistic. "

Lol

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

Clubs do free full testing

Not the Leeds ones."

Chameleons, Infusions & VA do, worth a roadtrip I'd say

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

The kits are as accurate as the person's ability to follow the instructions.

So... Yeah....most fab members will struggle....

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

A big part of any test is proper swabbing - as such home tests are significantly less reliable than clinic tests. Excellent

Hope this helps.

S"

over a year ago

All in all its great to see at least some of us actually get tested .

Keep it up

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

"All in all its great to see at least some of us actually get tested .

Keep it up "

Everyone should but unfortunately don't think its relevant to them

over a year ago

Keep it up

Everyone should but unfortunately don't think its relevant to them "

Safety and sexual health is massively important and being tested regularly is the only way to be sure , no presumptions and never bare .

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

Keep it up

Everyone should but unfortunately don't think its relevant to them

Safety and sexual health is massively important and being tested regularly is the only way to be sure , no presumptions and never bare ."

Exactly what you say, we feel all this is important

over a year ago

Convenient.

Blood, Urine, Rectal, and Oral swap kits sent out.

By *rent Bridge SwingersCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Clubs do free full testing"

The NUH Sexual Health team do testing at Purple Mamba - due to funding the full tests are only available to Nottingham/Nottinghamshire residents - so it depends on where you live

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I literally got my results from the self testing kit yesterday. I trust them totally.

I also get tested by the terance Gina Trust at the Vanilla Alternative b night, whichever is more convenient when 2 months rolls around again.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Higgins*

over a year ago

I’ve just done one as well our local icash clinic are no longer doing screening so it’s all done at home. Was easy enough to use the kit and the instructions are clear. Seemed to manage to get more of my blood sample over the counter than in the tube tho

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/10/18 17:22:39]

over a year ago

Annoying that you have to pay tho. The one I ordered from the local icash clinic was free. Why the difference I wonder?

It does. Leeds Sexual Health services are overwhelmed. I have to budget half a day waiting to get tested. They don’t offer home kits, although they kindly offer 10% off when you buy one, at £99 for a com

Annoying that you have to pay tho. The one I ordered from the local icash clinic was free. Why the difference I wonder?

prehensive one.

"

over a year ago

It does. Leeds Sexual Health services are overwhelmed. I have to budget half a day waiting to get tested. They don’t offer home kits, although they kindly offer 10% off when you buy one, at £99 for a com

prehensive one.

Annoying that you have to pay tho. The one I ordered from the local icash clinic was free. Why the difference I wonder?"

It seems to differ by health authority. We have three large units in Leeds and I think that adds to the clinic workload.

over a year ago

*universities

over a year ago

Rubbish if you can’t afford £99 tho!!

By *ensualcouple99Couple
over a year ago

Colchester

We use the NHS postal one and the results come withib a couple of days normally. Brilliant service and very discreet.

The standard pack doesn't involve a throat swab but I always ask for one in the additional notes section of the online form and they send me one.

The last time we actually visited a gum clinic we had to do our own swabs anyway.

over a year ago

"Rubbish if you can’t afford £99 tho!! "

If you compare prices on Amazon and Ebay you can buy them for less - the ones on Ebay say for professional use only but are the same and cheaper - you can mix and match for different tests as well.

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Lea Marston

I can't do the blood tests, just can't get myself to bleed enough to get a sample! So I end up having to go in anyway. The last nurse I saw said lots of people have the same problem so you end up with lots of people coming into clinic anyway and lots of wasted tests. It's such a good idea, helpfully they can do something to make the blood test easier?

over a year ago

"I can't do the blood tests, just can't get myself to bleed enough to get a sample! So I end up having to go in anyway. The last nurse I saw said lots of people have the same problem so you end up with lots of people coming into clinic anyway and lots of wasted tests. It's such a good idea, helpfully they can do something to make the blood test easier? "

I haven't found it difficult to get the blood from my thumb but it might help if a bit nervous about it to get someone else to use the lance for you. It didn't hurt and my kit contained a plaster too.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

The home kits are just for a vaginal swab - no rectal or oral swab & no blood test.

So if you are happy to just do a 1 in 4 test, fine. I’d rather have all 4 tests done!

By *ensualcouple99Couple
over a year ago

Colchester

"The home kits are just for a vaginal swab - no rectal or oral swab & no blood test.

So if you are happy to just do a 1 in 4 test, fine. I’d rather have all 4 tests done! "

Our NHS tests have those included.

By *ittle DancerWoman
over a year ago

Leslie, Glenrothes

"The home kits are just for a vaginal swab - no rectal or oral swab & no blood test.

So if you are happy to just do a 1 in 4 test, fine. I’d rather have all 4 tests done! "

There *is* a blood test.

I was sure the only one they didn’t do was throat swabs.

over a year ago

"I’ve just done one as well our local icash clinic are no longer doing screening so it’s all done at home. Was easy enough to use the kit and the instructions are clear. Seemed to manage to get more of my blood sample over the counter than in the tube tho "

I use icash too and my only complaint is that the first kit I ordered didn’t arrive and you can only order one a month. Therefore I had to delete my account and set up a new one but since then, 3 tests later, it’s worked well. I’m concerned that there was no option for swabs though having read others comments here. Are swabs necessary?

By *iddyinfirmMan
over a year ago

Great Glen

Hi! First off the normal sensible disclaimer; the following is my own personal opinion, I am not a medical practitioner, do not have any particular relevant qualifications nor am I a statistician with access to any research but as a responsible bisexual guy, have personal experience of some of these tests and I hope these comments will help.

Please bare in mind that if you are showing symptoms of an STI (check them on the NHS websites: I’m not sure if I can post links here so I won’t try but so easy to find!) then it is, in my opinion, and I believe recommended, that you visit your local clinic as soon as you can. The reason being, of course, is that a trained medical professional or clinic nurse will examine you, and even without relying on results of tests taken, may be able to instantly diagnose an infection and take suitable immediate action; like prescribe a course of antibiotics.

But if like me, you and indeed everyone else here who’s active, you aren’t showing any symptoms but may have been exposed to a risk and want to take a routine screening test, they are, in my opinion, really good and very convenient: and if done properly with some care; have, again in my opinion, a similar efficacy as any test done in a local GUM clinic and perhaps even in the GUM department of the local hospital. I hope this explains why I think so.

No STI test is 100% accurate anyway so a word before we go on about when to have a test taken (or take one yourself) as this has an effect on the accuracy of any test; home or otherwise. It takes a while from being exposed to or catching an infection to it showing up on a test: this time depends on the pathogen in question and your own immune system but generally I believe it’s up to 2 weeks for things like Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea and HIV in the region of 3-4 weeks. I believe Syphilis can appear quickly but can also hide from the test for a good 3-4 months in some cases.

I believe (but please check) that it’s best or recommended to test after 3-4 weeks so you cover as much as you can but as you can get a separate home HIV test as well, at least once, I’ve done a second simple HIV test later on.

Now the source of the test kit. In many areas, and mine thankfully, the tests are provided free of charge (which is really good and worthwhile for the sake of public health: generally though not more than one every 6-8weeks which should really be plenty) through the NHS but I believe supplied by a number of different subcontracted agencies. There are also test kits available from large or online pharmacies and by private companies too. I can’t really comment on all that’s available and I’m sure there is some variety in the quality and type of materials supplied (another variable). Personally I get mine through SH:24 (dot org dot UK) but there are many other agencies and sources available.

They were very prompt and my test arrived in the post two days later after ordering online (with a questionnaire giving some background: this meant I got a pack with I believe everything in it for a bisexual guy). The package was small enough to fit through my normal sized letterbox so I didn’t have to sign for it (as far as I remember) and completely plainly wrapped in that tamper proof bag that you can’t open without destroying it with just my name and address on it.

In fact too prompt; expecting that it’d take a while I ordered mine only two weeks after I’d exposed myself to a potential risk so I wanted to wait until at least the 3 weeks had well passed. But CAUTION; I believe that due to the active ingredients in these kits, there is (or was at least on mine) a use by date. Again, like the materials used by a clinic proper storage prior to use may have an effect on the efficacy of the results.

Anyway, in my case the kit contained 4 or 5 tests (will check next time and maybe post some pictures). In (at least one) the blood test you place the sample in a receptacle, screw on the top and gently mix the blood with the material in the vial; just like I’ve seen done by the nurse in at least one clinic. So it’s obviously important that this ingredient is active and not passed its date.

All the other tests involved sterile packaged swabs, urine sample bottle and/ or vials that were in my opinion exactly as I’ve seen at both a local or hospital GUM clinic. The only difference is that you do them yourself rather than have them taken by a trained nurse. So for example; there’s a standard urine sample bottle (and if I remember correctly a sterile container to pee into and then to transfer to the bottle to make it easier)

The one exception (in my test kit) is taking a blood sample. Normally the nurse inserts a hypo into a vein in your arm and takes a good deal of blood into one or two receptacles attached to the tube. In my kit, you used a little single use automatic lancet that makes a pin prick on your finger (quite deep: but the pain is very short, a little nip, quite exquisite) and you drip blood from the prick into the receptacle. As this takes three hands, the packaging was carefully designed to hold the vial vertical and in place. (I still managed to drip a few big drips of blood not in the target!)

I didn’t find the instructions difficult but it’s worth reading them a couple of times before doing each test in the kit. And don’t rush, I found that it was useful to do them one at a time, with a little break in between so you’re calm and relaxed.

As a bi guy inclined to indulge from time to time in receiving anal, my pack had a throat and a rectal swab; again sterile wrapped with sterile transport containers for return (actually both mine were labelled throat swab, but the instructions and labelling requirements therein differentiated the two for the receiving lab)

I found it really easy; but quite a bit to do; carefully reading, sampling, labelling, correctly repackaging and returning in a new enclosed discreet self labelled tamperproof bag, duly deposited in the post office outward bag.

Hint: you can understand that contamination of any sort degrades the effectiveness of the tests; so as instructed wash your hands thoroughly before, after during (as sometimes required) each of the tests.

So back to the original question: how accurate are they?

Well you can see with all these variables it would be difficult to quantify this as factors such as initial storage, timing of tests, handling, correct use by you, repacking and handling again and then prompt and correct handling by the lab all have an possible influence on a successful test outcome. GUM clinics in doctors surgeries are supplied with much the same materials but proper handling and storage is important. GUM departments in hospitals theoretically would have a higher turnover of materials stored but since they despatch and have the kits delivered promptly, I’d say that would make little difference.

The main difference is how carefully you follow the instructions; making sure you follow them to the letter, don’t sneeze or cough, handle the equipment as instructed but again you don’t need a full medical training to do this properly and well (saving valuable resources in the clinics where they are needed)

I can’t see that the home method of taking blood for sampling is any less effective provided your hands are clean and you use the preparatory swab just beforehand, letting it dry without touching anything.

I know that samples are sent on from a GP surgery often by post, and I suspect they may also be from a hospital if they out source to a test lab as well. I dropped my package off at the post office counter rather than leave it overnight in a post box but again I’m not sure if that would be significant, even in a cold snap.

My results were texted back to me direct but discreetly to my phone; within a week and still within the expiry date of my test pack. All clear!

And then most recently, I got tested by a nurse in an addiction clinic (Alcohol; I’ve been drinking too much again). They provide this as part of the service provision. She used almost exactly the same equipment. Again, All clear.

So in my opinion, do it right, do it carefully and there is no significant difference in the process than at a GU surgery or at a GU department. Therefore the efficacy is very similar.

Plus you don’t have to hang around in a drop in waiting your turn, or take half a day of work for the only available appointment.

I hope this helps: give it a go and see for yourself!

Chris xx

By *iddyinfirmMan
over a year ago

Great Glen

Sorry that was long and boring for all of you that have done one of these.

Twice I used efficacy: once I meant accuracy.

And by the way, the blood dripped from the prick (on my finger!!!!)

over a year ago

Personally I get my bloods done in clinic and I get swabs oral and vaginal done with sh24. I got a false positive once with bloods from a home kit and it freaked me out totally so now I always do bloods in clinic and as I play safe and only do oral without I'm happy with 6 monthly bloods and 3 monthly swabs.

By *indobona_1TV/TS
over a year ago

Tring

Although the home test kits are a great leap forward in tackling STI's I'm wondering about the psychological effect of no counseling for such a serious set of tests especially HIV. Certainly tests in the comfort of your own home and in your own time ought to be better but if you have reason to worry, then I think being able to talk to an advisor may help.

Home test kits won't help with the follow-up questions about your 'sexual partner's' if the tests return positive. Something that STI clinics are keen to persue no matter how embarrassing that may be. They are trying to prevent (an analogy) a sexual 'typhoid Mary' spreading the nasties to many.

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Lea Marston

"I can't do the blood tests, just can't get myself to bleed enough to get a sample! So I end up having to go in anyway. The last nurse I saw said lots of people have the same problem so you end up with lots of people coming into clinic anyway and lots of wasted tests. It's such a good idea, helpfully they can do something to make the blood test easier?

I haven't found it difficult to get the blood from my thumb but it might help if a bit nervous about it to get someone else to use the lance for you. It didn't hurt and my kit contained a plaster too."

It's not nerves I just can't get my fingers to bleed. I've jammed every one of those three lances in my fingers - nothing!

over a year ago

"I can't do the blood tests, just can't get myself to bleed enough to get a sample! So I end up having to go in anyway. The last nurse I saw said lots of people have the same problem so you end up with lots of people coming into clinic anyway and lots of wasted tests. It's such a good idea, helpfully they can do something to make the blood test easier?

I haven't found it difficult to get the blood from my thumb but it might help if a bit nervous about it to get someone else to use the lance for you. It didn't hurt and my kit contained a plaster too.

It's not nerves I just can't get my fingers to bleed. I've jammed every one of those three lances in my fingers - nothing! "

Im the same , hot bath then hold your arm low otherwise im like a pin cushion

over a year ago

The home test I did was a blood test and a vaginal swab.

By *reamytitwankCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

No go to gym clinic. You can get ghonnerea of the throat anus. Best to be safe than sorry.

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

So if you are happy to just do a 1 in 4 test, fine. I’d rather have all 4 tests done!

The home test I did was a blood test and a vaginal swab."

The last home kit I (Mush) had, had oral and anal swab and urine and blood samples.

over a year ago

"I used one in August and ultimately it worked well, got the results a few days later.

However i have two caveats.

1. In totally unused to lancets and pricking myself for blood. I did so but couldn't stop my finger bleeding after I'd filled the vial and had a full on panic attack.

2. Due to the above, somehow i didn't fill the vial enough for the syphilis test. Got a text on bank holiday Monday asking to call the clinic which really worried me. But it turned out that they just wanted to tell me that all tests were negative but that they couldn't do syph. "

When i pricked myself for blood i nearly fainted hate the sight of it lol .

By *ina VonteeseTV/TS
over a year ago

Leicester

Club29 Leicester has a gorgeous localhealth authority team who vist and do sti tests and offer advice and guidance.

Mondays and Wednesday afternoon

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

One of the reasons i used a home test is because the local clinics are getting more difficult to attend if you're over 25 and work something like regular hours. Of the three i could use locally, one closed, one i can never get an appointment at a time i can actually attend, and the walk in centre can take hours.

My wife picked up a home test at bi-fest for me to use.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

You can get a free postal test kit in Leeds if you put a date of birth as under 25.

over a year ago

"You can get a free postal test kit in Leeds if you put a date of birth as under 25. "

In Bristol the kits are free for anyone over the age of 16 I just ordered one from the central clinic

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"

I struggled the first time to do the blood sample but after a little practice find it really simple.

It’s convenient, discreet and quick. Saves on time waiting at a clinic. Definitely think they are a fantastic idea.

S x"

Same

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple
over a year ago

Chester

Glad to see people are testing as its important, don't understand people that don't

Post new Message to Thread