Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Relief from anxiety and depression

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I wrote some weeks back I had been anxiety free for over a year. Recently though I have found my self confidence and self esteem ebbing away but anxiety has not returned thankfully. I was optimistic I was cured earlier in the year. I guess it’s always a dark cloud over me. I know there are many of you out there with similar concerns. I did find playing a good way to release stress. I also find massage and acupuncture a great help and love tantra x. Keep fighting

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Exercise is a great tool to burn off energy and adrenaline. It also gets your mind focussed as does mindfulness. There is a big safety net out there and no one should hesitate in seeing their GP. Anxiety and depression is very common.

I hope you are feeling ok OP

By *lirtyskirtTV/TS
over a year ago

London

The practice of mindfulness, whether one believes oneself well or otherwise.

Instructional classes are the best place to start.

All the best x

over a year ago

Sorry you've been through bad times Op

I do wish you all the best and hope you are over them.

We all go through shite in our lives, it happens and its how we deal with it.

If you have loved ones and friends then its better, sometimes just to chat.

There's a lot of lovely people on fab once you get to know them and some have a good ear just to listen to what you have went through, they might not want to fuck your brains out after but then again, they might

but acupuncture is great for many reasons and so is massage so I wish you all the health in the world OP and continue to look to the good things in your life

regards

merry Xmas peter

over a year ago

As someone who is on this road I can tell you it never goes away and can just appear from nowhere to bring you back to darker times

Glad to hear you seem to be getting on top of it and nice to hear what works

over a year ago

I would highly recommend exercise to help. Honestly (‘him’ replying to this). Personally I pushed myself to do “gym sessions” 3 days per week early before work (24/7 place so you can go anytime) and it’s the best thing I have done. Feel/look much more healthy, more of the ‘better energy’, and helps anxiety/stress issues big time. Win win situation.

Good luck!

By *aisyDDWoman
over a year ago

North West

Don’t think we ever really get better. We have good times and bad times. Over the years I’ve learnt my triggers and also signs of depression creeping it’s way back.

This is a very bad time of year for sufferers so just take care of yourself. Take it easy xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Don’t think we ever really get better. We have good times and bad times. Over the years I’ve learnt my triggers and also signs of depression creeping it’s way back.

This is a very bad time of year for sufferers so just take care of yourself. Take it easy xx"

I actually don’t mind being alone Christmas Day. My birthday is rubbish though x

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I wrote some weeks back I had been anxiety free for over a year. Recently though I have found my self confidence and self esteem ebbing away but anxiety has not returned thankfully. I was optimistic I was cured earlier in the year. I guess it’s always a dark cloud over me. I know there are many of you out there with similar concerns. I did find playing a good way to release stress. I also find massage and acupuncture a great help and love tantra x. Keep fighting"

It’s not something you can ‘cure’ rather than something you learn to control. You will go through easier times & tougher times. I’ve been dealing with it for 5 years now & after 3 years of being determined to get ‘back to normal’ and falling backwards when I tried to push myself, I’ve now learned just to go with it.

CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) can help to teach you techniques to use when you’re having a rough patch & will help you manage your anxiety & self esteem issues. If you’ve not had this offered, speak to your GP.

Other than that, having a physical or creative outlet is a good thing, so it sounds like you’re doing ok from that perspective.

Good luck OP - hope the next few weeks are bearable!! x

over a year ago

Depression has elements of selfishness and self centred ness in it...

The best way of dealing with depression is to get up early in the morning, eat a decent breakfast, get yourself into a good routine with exercise and above all get involved in goodly charitable enterprises were in you actively help others less fortunate than yourself

Keeping yourself active in the service of others is the best medicine of

all...

Avoid those eastern philsophies they will only cause you to dwell apon your self and increase your anxieties..

over a year ago

No good time for depression but certainly this is a bad time one week before Christmas - I wish you well OP and may you take comfort in knowing your not alone

over a year ago

"Depression has elements of selfishness and self centred ness in it...

The best way of dealing with depression is to get up early in the morning, eat a decent breakfast, get yourself into a good routine with exercise and above all get involved in goodly charitable enterprises were in you actively help others less fortunate than yourself

all...

Avoid those eastern philsophies they will only cause you to dwell apon your self and increase your anxieties..

"

why is that then

? I am all ears.

over a year ago

all...

why is that then

? I am all ears. "

Put it into practice and see for yourself my friend ...

over a year ago

I doubt any of us are ever cured, the key is recognizing triggers, recognizing when we are going down hill and having suitable coping strategies in place for when we do dip. Sounds easy when you type it like that but rarely feels so easy!

over a year ago

all...

why is that then

? I am all ears.

Put it into practice and see for yourself my friend ..."

Sorry but I think anyone advocating a one approach fixes all approach to mental health is at best being shortsighted. Which isn't to say you donlt make some valid points, I accpet routine, exercise and healthy eating all help bit your advice seems one dimensional

over a year ago

"I wrote some weeks back I had been anxiety free for over a year. Recently though I have found my self confidence and self esteem ebbing away but anxiety has not returned thankfully. I was optimistic I was cured earlier in the year. I guess it’s always a dark cloud over me. I know there are many of you out there with similar concerns. I did find playing a good way to release stress. I also find massage and acupuncture a great help and love tantra x. Keep fighting"

Hey I've suffered bad depression and anxiety recently too and the best thing I did was to to the gp get some citalopram and after the first few weeks it gets better and then keep yourself busy like fill your day with stuff to do make it so your so.busy you don't have time to think and when you do sit down you actually feel like you've accomplished something... someone else I know did this thing where very day they put a piece of paper with something positive In a jar and at the end of the year she opened up and read them to remind herself the year wasn't as bad as she thought

over a year ago

Exercise keeps me as sane as I can hope to be.

Feel for you OP....as you say you can feel top notch then it comes from nowhere and fucking floors you. I suffer terrible paranoia with anxiety and it is honestly a living hell xx

over a year ago

That is good need to hear OP that you have found something in life that helps.

Depression and anxiety affects so many people in all walks of life.

The key to living with depression is learning to manage it, recognising when it's maybe creeping up on you, and seeking help by whatever means works for you, be it doing something that you enjoy, excercise, meeting with a trusted friend who understands your depression, hiding away and going easy on yourself snd being kind to yourself or taking medication. It's whatever works for the individual.

Depression is an illness, which with the right help and support can be lived with without any major issues.

To anyone suffering alone with this illness and struggling to cope, our advice is tell someone. Yes, that is an incredibly difficult thing to do but trust us when we say it's the first step to recovery.

Good luck to anyone who needs it right now.

over a year ago

all...

"

It's difficult to know where to start as so much of what you wrote is complete nonsense, however I'll leave it at saying that the belief that what has worked for you will work for someone else is misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

By *avid1234555Man
over a year ago

Dfs and Galloway/Ayrshire.

"Don’t think we ever really get better. We have good times and bad times. Over the years I’ve learnt my triggers and also signs of depression creeping it’s way back.

This is a very bad time of year for sufferers so just take care of yourself. Take it easy xx"

It's the unexpected triggers that can blindside you.... Agree with the posts about exercise (just need to do it!!)

over a year ago

I too have suffered for years from both of these conditions but always put a brave face on. Eventually I got to the stage where I knew I had to get help. The thing that worked for me was counselling with MIND together with CBT. As most have said on here it is never cured but can be controlled. Wishing you the best of luck. Xx

over a year ago

all...

It's difficult to know where to start as so much of what you wrote is complete nonsense, however I'll leave it at saying that the belief that what has worked for you will work for someone else is misguided at best and dangerous at worst."

As said give it a try, better than the negativity your offering...

over a year ago

all...

It's difficult to know where to start as so much of what you wrote is complete nonsense, however I'll leave it at saying that the belief that what has worked for you will work for someone else is misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

As said give it a try, better than the negativity your offering..."

I’m not offering negativity, I’m saying it’s dangerous to tell people how they should deal with their depression. You have no idea what their situation is.

Exercise can be good for some people but for others it can simply give them the energy to act on thoughts of self harm.

Really all your saying is that people should pullt themselves together, the sort of thing that shouldn’t be said to people with mood disorders.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/12/17 22:08:27]

over a year ago

Seems we all have the disability then..

over a year ago

all...

I’m not offering negativity, I’m saying it’s dangerous to tell people how they should deal with their depression. You have no idea what their situation is.

Exercise can be good for some people but for others it can simply give them the energy to act on thoughts of self harm.

Really all your saying is that people should pullt themselves together, the sort of thing that shouldn’t be said to people with mood disorders."

Glad your not a counseller

over a year ago

Not for everyone but a big joint of hash helps me.

over a year ago

all...

Really all your saying is that people should pullt themselves together, the sort of thing that shouldn’t be said to people with mood disorders.

Glad your not a counseller"

Any idiot can call themselves a counsellor, that’s the problem.

over a year ago

Life is what you make or think of it. Neg- gets you nowhere.

If you ever feel sad, just remember, somewhere in the world a fat kid just dropped his ice cream

So it just boils down to Pos+ Mental Thinking and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.

Listen, everyone suffers shit in their lives. Playing the victim, feeling hard done by etc.. gets you nowhere.

Just expect shit and worse, anything pos+ is a bonus.

That's life in a nut shell.

over a year ago

It is a very interesting subject or topic more to it then meets the eyes ..

Well you cannot see it, as it not like a pair of broken legs.

over a year ago

all...

"

If people could do what you suggest, they probably aren't deeply depressed, imo.

It's akin to 'tomorrow, if I concentrate really hard, my leg won't be broken' mental or physical, ailments can't be wished away unfortunately.

What you suggest works, it's doing it that people with depression struggle with.

Get your GP involved, professional intervention and community social groups, medication, Eastern, western, what ever works, shamanic drumming heals where talking therapies can't reach, thoroughly recommend it too!

over a year ago

It's interesting to note that nobody has suggested BDSM.... I have had mental health problems all my life and find being a submissive when I'm really down incredibly therapeutic.... you should give it a blast. Fred.

By *oubyLoverWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"It's interesting to note that nobody has suggested BDSM.... I have had mental health problems all my life and find being a submissive when I'm really down incredibly therapeutic.... you should give it a blast. Fred. "

Many people I know get relief from impact play.

over a year ago

"I wrote some weeks back I had been anxiety free for over a year. Recently though I have found my self confidence and self esteem ebbing away but anxiety has not returned thankfully. I was optimistic I was cured earlier in the year. I guess it’s always a dark cloud over me. I know there are many of you out there with similar concerns. I did find playing a good way to release stress. I also find massage and acupuncture a great help and love tantra x. Keep fighting

If you ever feel sad, just remember, somewhere in the world a fat kid just dropped his ice cream

Listen, everyone suffers shit in their lives. Playing the victim, feeling hard done by etc.. gets you nowhere.

That's life in a nut shell."

Wow. I didn't realise people still thought this

over a year ago

And we all lived happy ever after!

over a year ago

"I wrote some weeks back I had been anxiety free for over a year. Recently though I have found my self confidence and self esteem ebbing away but anxiety has not returned thankfully. I was optimistic I was cured earlier in the year. I guess it’s always a dark cloud over me. I know there are many of you out there with similar concerns. I did find playing a good way to release stress. I also find massage and acupuncture a great help and love tantra x. Keep fighting

Wow. I didn't realise people still thought this "

Yes, psychologists will offer CBT.

over a year ago

Feeling sad is completely different to suffering with depression. Sad is an emotion, depression is an illness.

By *eepster69Man
over a year ago

Dumfries

As somebody else said. There is no one size fits all fix for any mental illness. I've suffered with both depression & anxiety.

What those who haven't experienced it don't appreciate is the physical health problems they bring.

The only thing I can add is if you do feel your mental health is beginning to go downhill, go speak to your Dr sooner rather than later.

He/She will hopefully point you to what worked previously or is most likely to work again.

over a year ago

Thee is a big list too join the cue..If you don't do crowds best go private.

An easier option.

By *aturasqCouple
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

Delightful

By *eedee36Couple
over a year ago

Haslingden

Obviously you haven’t had any issues with depression.

Hopefully you never will as I wouldn’t wish it on any one .

However this does not excuse your total lack of ignorance.

fuckin imbecile !!

By *eedee36Couple
over a year ago

Haslingden

The previous post was a reply to littlesocs post , I just presumed my reply would tag me on to the ridiculous advice on mental health,

Just go to show I’m somewhat of a imbecile also lol

By *eviantdeliteWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"It's interesting to note that nobody has suggested BDSM.... I have had mental health problems all my life and find being a submissive when I'm really down incredibly therapeutic.... you should give it a blast. Fred. "

...the post meet drop is a bit of a killer though if the Dom does not help you through though xx

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"I would highly recommend exercise to help. Honestly (‘him’ replying to this). Personally I pushed myself to do “gym sessions” 3 days per week early before work (24/7 place so you can go anytime) and it’s the best thing I have done. Feel/look much more healthy, more of the ‘better energy’, and helps anxiety/stress issues big time. Win win situation.

Good luck! "

Well said...this is my cure also. All the best OP. X

over a year ago

"I would highly recommend exercise to help. Honestly (‘him’ replying to this). Personally I pushed myself to do “gym sessions” 3 days per week early before work (24/7 place so you can go anytime) and it’s the best thing I have done. Feel/look much more healthy, more of the ‘better energy’, and helps anxiety/stress issues big

time. Win win situation.

Good luck!

Well said...this is my cure also. All the best OP. X"

I have suffered with above due to PTSD and having my dog without doubt has saved my life, keep fighting op You will get there

over a year ago

"

I have suffered with above due to PTSD and having my dog without doubt has saved my life, keep fighting op You will get there "

Agreed wholeheartedly. My dog saved my life.

over a year ago

"It's interesting to note that nobody has suggested BDSM.... I have had mental health problems all my life and find being a submissive when I'm really down incredibly therapeutic.... you should give it a blast. Fred.

...the post meet drop is a bit of a killer though if the Dom does not help you through though xx"

A good Dom always will - if they don’t, get a new one x

over a year ago

Wow. I didn't realise people still thought this "

The problem is, people who say things like that usually don’t ‘think’ at all. Hence spouting this kind of ignorant drivel.

By *eviantdeliteWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"It's interesting to note that nobody has suggested BDSM.... I have had mental health problems all my life and find being a submissive when I'm really down incredibly therapeutic.... you should give it a blast. Fred.

...the post meet drop is a bit of a killer though if the Dom does not help you through though xx

A good Dom always will - if they don’t, get a new one x"

Indeed xx

over a year ago

And this is why I'm reluctant to introduce K to swingers clubs and fab.

Hope things get better soon op

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

"I doubt any of us are ever cured, the key is recognizing triggers, recognizing when we are going down hill and having suitable coping strategies in place for when we do dip. Sounds easy when you type it like that but rarely feels so easy!"

Exactly this and hopefully having support around you at these times who all recgonise it too . X storm x

By *ide standMan
over a year ago

Runcorn

Lost another mate who suffered from ptsd just before Christmas. Keep smiling fella and if start feeling down just talk to someone

By *lwaysup4it69Couple
over a year ago

Kirkby in Ashfield

Make of couple here. I've been suffering with my emotions for a while now, not had a good night sleep in last 5 years, which don't help. People see me as a happy go lucky guy, it's an act I've learned to put on. I know I need help it's just making that 1st move. I have an amazing supportive partner, but even kept it from her how bad it is some days. I cry a lot in private. Thanks OP for starting this thread.

over a year ago

This site helps

It offers a release from real life

over a year ago

In ways yes!it helps.

over a year ago

Many people I know get relief from impact play."

Impact play can certainly help if it's something you are not averse to. It works for me, but I can't always get it when I need it. I find that after the endorphin rush has gone, there can still be a feeling of wellbeing for days afterwards. But in general, I would recommend an appointment with the doctor (if you can get one). Don't be shy or too proud to ask for help.

By *abcouple11Couple
over a year ago

Truro

Exercise

Fucking

Good food

Occasional indulgences you really enjoy

It's all a game. As long as you are around, do enough of these and what will sort out will, and what won't and can't that's just the way it is. We are probably "all in the same boat" anyway...

Happy New Year all.

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

I find the following help me

Hot bubble baths.

Colouring,i have a sweary cat book i love;)

Candles or burning oils

Mindfulness

Time on my own

Reading

Hope you find some comfort op

Miss x

over a year ago

Having a depressive episode at the moment, been going on for a few days, now im at the angry just wanna smash stuff up phase so its full volume with the stereo tonight and anything aggressive and metal. System of a down, Nightwish, Linkin Park (r.i.p chester), Slipknot etc

Will be heading to the sales tomorrow for new furniture.

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

Recognising that your not coping well is at least a step forward. Hopefully you can make the necessary changes to get back on an even keel.

Life is never easy and throws curve balls at us just when we think we’re over it.

Hope 2018 is better for all those who suffer from depression, anxiety or stress. xx

By *irestorm 500Couple
over a year ago

coventry

A new year and a new me..going to get the help I need and to finally start gaining myself back..it's knowing how to get out that black hole but have realised I need to x storm x

over a year ago

Technology is not good for MH

over a year ago

I wish you all the best ... it's not easy to shake off. Depression is the most common issue seen by GPs so you're certainly not alone.

There's lots of good advice from some great Fab members here (it's one of the things I love about Fab is the care offered as well as the sexiness).

GP-prescribed drugs are certainly one route but I'd try other things first if you haven't already. Lots of ideas already mentioned: good exercise, mindfulness and meditation, and sex of course!

I see you enjoy tantra which is fabulous. Avoiding ejaculation may well help as most of us guys get the high and then the low if we do. Not ejaculating can help even out moods and sustain that feeling of sexual anticipation and wellbeing. If you've already learnt to orgasm without ejaculating then hats off to you! If not, you may want to practice!

Good luck again!

over a year ago

O abstain from fab lol

over a year ago

I've had anxiety/depression as long as I can remember though not so bad these days. One of the best ways I've found to live with it is not to expect to be "cured" or see the back of it forever. It's a part of my personality make up, it's helped make me who I am and accepting that, even loving that part of myself, has made it way easier to live with.

Mindfulness I've also found very helpful along with little techniques etc for handling the dark days. Visualisations, meditative exercises, learning to spot the cycles so I know when it's coming. That kind of thing.

Much love, keep smiling

over a year ago

There is no cure for depression or anxiety. There are various ways of managing them and it's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

Healthy eating, exercise, talking therapies, medication, anything that makes you happy really so long as it's legal.

Just think of it as a bump in a long road Op.

over a year ago

Technology,drugs

N RocknRoll

By *ikerdude2017Man
over a year ago

Doncaster

I have a big cloud that keeps coming back and when i find someone who loves me and puts up with me and i go fuck it up and now im alone with my cloud of self centred dispear.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I find the following help me

Hot bubble baths.

Colouring,i have a sweary cat book i love;)

Candles or burning oils

Mindfulness

Time on my own

Reading

Hope you find some comfort op

Miss x"

I need a sweary cat colouring book!! Where did you get it from!!

M x

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

"Obviously you haven’t had any issues with depression.

Hopefully you never will as I wouldn’t wish it on any one .

However this does not excuse your total lack of ignorance.

fuckin imbecile !! "

Well said! The levels of ignorance about the condition are still phenomenally high. Unfortunately this can sometimes be found within select medical professionals too. Stephen Fry's programme about it was great though.

over a year ago

I've had issues with depression and anxiety for much of my life. I've tried counselling, tai chi, medication, you name it. The thing that has helped me most is having people in my life who are positive and supportive. Not pushy or enablists but people who know when to hold my hand and know when to put their hand on my shoulder. Stigma around mental health is ebbing away but it's still so prevalent it's hard to know when to divulge and when to keep your mouth shut.

My black dog has gone from my shoulders and now follows a few steps behind. He still follows though and he will forever. But now he isn't barking constantly I'm able to diet and exercise and generally be healthy. When he's being noisy it can be hard to stick to healthy living habits.

Heres hoping we can lead our black dogs and not carry them!

K

over a year ago

i had this for 10years didn't leave the house for 2 i found counselling helped i had 2 lots of therapy a year apart I'm 95% well now i wish you well in your journey of recovery and you're not alone xx

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

My black dog is burdensome right now.

over a year ago

I remember hearing that depression and anxiety is not about weakness. It's about carrying others and trying to be too strong for too long...Beautiful.

I think I will always suffer on and off. Something I've accepted as time goes on. I've learned to spot the signs and get ahead of it, before it takes complete hold now. Some people will never understand unless they've dealt with it. I would just like to say though, that ignorant remarks can cause someone set backs. Best not to pass judgement unless you understand

over a year ago

Black dog lol

over a year ago

"Black dog lol"
I need to Google lol

over a year ago

"Black dog lolI need to Google lol"

Winston Churchill talked about his depression as a black dog companion.

over a year ago

Depression is a horrible nasty uncaring thing Strick's when you least expect and can blow your whole life inside out there is a still a massive stigma surrounding if I hear one more pull your self together I will scream

over a year ago

Wow!

over a year ago

Wow! "

Insulting is a understatement

By *lackbird1000Woman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Is this person for real ? What a load of rubbish ! Feeling sad compared with a life long illness ! You think people want to be victims? Or they are fight for a cure to get out of that? But you contradict yourself firstly negativity gets you no where , later you said expect shit is that positive ? What a load of rubbish !!!

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"Black dog lolI need to Google lol"

Yes, you do.

Perhaps you should have done that before making such a thoughtless remark.

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

That's life in a nut shell. Is this person for real ? What a load of rubbish ! Feeling sad compared with a life long illness ! You think people want to be victims? Or they are fight for a cure to get out of that? But you contradict yourself firstly negativity gets you no where , later you said expect shit is that positive ? What a load of rubbish !!! "

Way to go Blackbird!

By *entle giraffeMan
over a year ago

Minehead

"I remember hearing that depression and anxiety is not about weakness. It's about carrying others and trying to be too strong for too long...Beautiful.

I think I will always suffer on and off. Something I've accepted as time goes on. I've learned to spot the signs and get ahead of it, before it takes complete hold now. Some people will never understand unless they've dealt with it. I would just like to say though, that ignorant remarks can cause someone set backs. Best not to pass judgement unless you understand "

Very well put

over a year ago

Mines flaring up at the moment to the point my medication has been doubled.

I envy anyone who is able to control their's without the need for pills.

Keep fighting everyone, I known how much of a bitch it is when a bout comes on with no warning.

By *cutebum9Couple
over a year ago

wallsend

Sin derrela hope your ok. Mines been the same these past two days. Been out of work six months a d just can't seem to get myself out of this at the moment. Trying so hard to be possitive x

over a year ago

"Sin derrela hope your ok. Mines been the same these past two days. Been out of work six months a d just can't seem to get myself out of this at the moment. Trying so hard to be possitive x"

Thank you.

I think it's worse when there's no reason for a bout to start.

I knew I'd been dipping for a while, but my grandad died last week and I had no reaction or emotion to being told. I may as well have been told he'd popped to the shops. At the moment I feel nothing and am indifferent to everything, except my husband where I think I'm being clingy and want him by me all the time. Urghh. But I know medication helps, so hoping it'll lift again in a couple of weeks. At least I'm lucky in that no matter how bad I get, I still manage to functioning and go through the motions.

over a year ago

Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes you can't imagine the burdens they carry. Everyone has different experiences but judging others actions is not productive or helpful. Pull your socks up (my mums words when my depression first started to become a problem everyday) and other phrases. Think positive, it's just a blip, you'll be fine in the summer etc. Are just a slap in the face.

Imagine saying that to someone with a broken arm or chronic pain.

over a year ago

I suffer from depression and mild anxiety (and I just moved to London, probably not the answer lol) and I've found exercise works and I'm eating better too. Though the depression lingers sometimes because I still feel a bit alone here. Hopefully I'll find some naughty fabbers around eventually.

Depression/anxiety isn't fun. Keep fighting!

over a year ago

My Christmas was ruined by an episode that decided to kick in on Christmas day. I'd been teetering for a while so i knew it was coming. Finally the clouds have lifted and parted a bit. As others on here have said, nobody wants this illness, you cant just "pull yourself together" or "cheer up, might never happen". Every day is a battle, some people have better armour than others though. Negativity from those that dont understand doesnt help. Unless you're in this situation then you will never fully understand. I've discovered quite a few people on Fab who have mental health problems, for me thats very comforting to know i can discuss things on here and not be judged or ridiculed. So a big thankyou to those who speak up and share their experiences.

over a year ago

The "cheer up" or "why can't you just be happy?" comments are the least helpful. It's not a "mood" it's an actual problem that is not in our control.

over a year ago

"The "cheer up" or "why can't you just be happy?" comments are the least helpful. It's not a "mood" it's an actual problem that is not in our control."

Exactly. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain, not just a bad day.

over a year ago

"The "cheer up" or "why can't you just be happy?" comments are the least helpful. It's not a "mood" it's an actual problem that is not in our control.

Exactly. It's a chemical imbalance of the brain, not just a bad day. "

Exactly this. Sometimes a trigger isnt needed, the chemicals do as they please. People poo-poo medication as an answer but it helps to restore the natural balance. Doesnt always work but then the brain is still a very unknown quantity.

over a year ago

"I suffer from depression and mild anxiety (and I just moved to London, probably not the answer lol) and I've found exercise works and I'm eating better too. Though the depression lingers sometimes because I still feel a bit alone here. Hopefully I'll find some naughty fabbers around eventually.

Depression/anxiety isn't fun. Keep fighting!"

Exercise is great, as long as you're reasonable with yourself about it, don't put too much pressure on yourself, physically and emotionally.

Food is the best natural help there can be, we are all chemicals and we are what we eat, all healthy living for body and mind starts in the kitchen.

over a year ago

"Exercise is great, as long as you're reasonable with yourself about it, don't put too much pressure on yourself, physically and emotionally.

Food is the best natural help there can be, we are all chemicals and we are what we eat, all healthy living for body and mind starts in the kitchen."

I'm doing that too. Doing low carb low sugar for a couple of months to lose some weight and hitting the gym to help lose some and tone up, not doing too much yet but it's working so far.

over a year ago

"Exercise is great, as long as you're reasonable with yourself about it, don't put too much pressure on yourself, physically and emotionally.

Food is the best natural help there can be, we are all chemicals and we are what we eat, all healthy living for body and mind starts in the kitchen.

I'm doing that too. Doing low carb low sugar for a couple of months to lose some weight and hitting the gym to help lose some and tone up, not doing too much yet but it's working so far."

Sure that will help and logging on to fab they well they say laughter is the best exercise too.

By *lackbird1000Woman
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes you can't imagine the burdens they carry. Everyone has different experiences but judging others actions is not productive or helpful. Pull your socks up (my mums words when my depression first started to become a problem everyday) and other phrases. Think positive, it's just a blip, you'll be fine in the summer etc. Are just a slap in the face.

Imagine saying that to someone with a broken arm or chronic pain.

"

you are totally right and sometimes the issue is dismissed because , is not a physical illness ! X

By *aster batorMan
over a year ago

colchester

I've suffered for years now I've tried anti depressants but I can't seem to stick to them as they make me so tired I've tried counselling but really didn't feel like I was getting anywhere I have abandoned all my family because I feel like I have let them all down, I do have big plans for the future but I doubt I will ever get around to them coz it's easier to put things off til the next day then the next day then it turns into weeks, months, years and before you know it it takes over you and leaves you in a dark pit you can't climb out of I hate depression it's an awful decease that very few people truly understand (how many more times can people say stop being silly and pull yourself together) I really wish it was that easy so massive respect to everyone fighting this keep strong and keep busy xx

over a year ago

"I've suffered for years now I've tried anti depressants but I can't seem to stick to them as they make me so tired I've tried counselling but really didn't feel like I was getting anywhere I have abandoned all my family because I feel like I have let them all down, I do have big plans for the future but I doubt I will ever get around to them coz it's easier to put things off til the next day then the next day then it turns into weeks, months, years and before you know it it takes over you and leaves you in a dark pit you can't climb out of I hate depression it's an awful decease that very few people truly understand (how many more times can people say stop being silly and pull yourself together) I really wish it was that easy so massive respect to everyone fighting this keep strong and keep busy xx"

I can relate to everything you say, especially the bit about putting things off. Even minor things like the washing up can sit for a few days until I get embarrassed by the ever-increasing pile. The tiredness might not be totally the medications fault, fatigue goes hand-in-hand with depression. Your doctor may be able to give you something else to boost the nor-adrenaline chemical which should give you a bit of oomph. It worked slightly with me but I cant take too much as I also have a heart condition so I need to have just the right balance.

over a year ago

This is site is very imbalanced.

over a year ago

It not the best thing to discuss, publicly,on a forum o feel so ashamed and embarrassed I couldn't and can't cope with PTSD with out medication or support slightest thing TV, sound, smell, all triggers but trying to stay as strong as I can it's the only way and to all the idiots with stupid comments try being scared to close your eyes and avoid smell sights sounds even the TV get it wrong to all my brother's and sisters Voi g through mental health problems I salute you one s g skk

By *ifelinetoSanityMan
over a year ago

leeds

Have a look at the Human Givens school of clinical hypnotherapy. Your symptoms can be treated by one of their therapists. I also found Michael Sealey's videos on youtube very good.

over a year ago

I have suffered from same thing for years and had this now I know a silly idea by joining here that I would meet nice people and have have good times with.

Instead it has made me feel ugly and worthless and I have rewrote my profile and was going to add better pics as lets face it here is very Clique and seems like a closed circle and I know this will not go well on here but i am allowed to view my point of view

over a year ago

"I have suffered from same thing for years and had this now I know a silly idea by joining here that I would meet nice people and have have good times with.

Instead it has made me feel ugly and worthless and I have rewrote my profile and was going to add better pics as lets face it here is very Clique and seems like a closed circle and I know this will not go well on here but i am allowed to view my point of view

"

As you are aware, this can be a very challenging place at times, there are a lot of very confident and bold people on here. Having read some of your previous threads you may find that this place might do more harm than good with your disposition.

I would suggest perhaps taking the time to get yourself back to a good place before opening yourself up to the scrutiny that result from being on here.

over a year ago

Climbing a mountain is hard actually getting a meet on here is impossible i dont even try any more

over a year ago

"Climbing a mountain is hard actually getting a meet on here is impossible i dont even try any more "

Being male doesn't help with the meet situation, we outnumber women hugely so try not to take that to heart too much. As others have said, this isn't a good place for someone with low self-esteem. On the plus side, there are several forum threads about mental health and its surprising how many people are in the same boat. There are many sympathetic people who understand how you feel, they offer good advice and don't judge. Please remember, you aren't alone.

over a year ago

I have give up i tried but now know i am wasting my time

By *izzy.Woman
over a year ago

Stoke area

"I have give up i tried but now know i am wasting my time "

I think you are unlikely to get a meet whilst your posts on the forum are so negative. I am sure you are a lovely chap. Take a breather and then try again. Maybe attend a social or post in the meets section. Explain you want a cuppa and are asking for a verification. Start of with small talk. There are lots of lovely ladies and couples on here. But you need to be patient and have the knack of writing a good opening message.

By *orticiaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"The "cheer up" or "why can't you just be happy?" comments are the least helpful. It's not a "mood" it's an actual problem that is not in our control."

It’s like telling someone who’s deaf to listen harder.

People who don’t understand it can do more harm than good by saying things they think will help - ‘chin up, might never happen’ etc

over a year ago

I suffer from bouts of depression myself.

At Christmas I was given a positivity diary by my sister. Every day you fill in at least one good thing that’s hsppened that day, even if it was just getting out of bed when you felt like the world was ending. Then at the end of the week you can see all the good things that have happened and none of the bad.

It’s working wonders for me at the moment so I can’t recommend it enough

over a year ago

Have you ever tried magnesium supplements? An bvitamins? I don’t react well to medication. So don’t take any. Not recommending that for you.

But these main supplements for men with depression. Check at Holland an Barrett or a herbalist before taking if you have any other conditions.

Lack of vitamin D can cause the same.

They saved me when I was younger.

over a year ago

A trip to the Costa Blanc then is due ...

over a year ago

Definitely

By *museBouche31Woman
over a year ago

Reigate

"Make of couple here. I've been suffering with my emotions for a while now, not had a good night sleep in last 5 years, which don't help. People see me as a happy go lucky guy, it's an act I've learned to put on. I know I need help it's just making that 1st move. I have an amazing supportive partner, but even kept it from her how bad it is some days. I cry a lot in private. Thanks OP for starting this thread. "

So sorry to hear you are struggling

If you want to take a little step towards self help, there is a free website called moodscope which helps you track your mood and sense of well-being. I like it as it gives data- facts to show that you have made it through really low days and you can add notes so you can recognise what your triggers might be for good/bad days. They send daily messages from other users and it is a helpful, thoughtful, supportive online community.

A bit like what I have seen here on this post from other lovely fabbers

The sun will shine again and with time and the right help, you might feel how warm it can be.

AB

X

over a year ago

"Make of couple here. I've been suffering with my emotions for a while now, not had a good night sleep in last 5 years, which don't help. People see me as a happy go lucky guy, it's an act I've learned to put on. I know I need help it's just making that 1st move. I have an amazing supportive partner, but even kept it from her how bad it is some days. I cry a lot in private. Thanks OP for starting this thread.

So sorry to hear you are struggling

If you want to take a little step towards self help, there is a free website called moodscope which helps you track your mood and sense of well-being. I like it as it gives data- facts to show that you have made it through really low days and you can add notes so you can recognise what your triggers might be for good/bad days. They send daily messages from other users and it is a helpful, thoughtful, supportive online community.

A bit like what I have seen here on this post from other lovely fabbers

The sun will shine again and with time and the right help, you might feel how warm it can be.

AB

X"

Sure that will the support for manix

By *lanPartridgeMan
over a year ago

nottingham

About to try one of the old tricyclics - lofepramine ... Moggie minor stuff

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I'm struggling with stress and depression at the moment. It feels overwhelming, and I want to hide. But, since I have to be a professional and a mummy, I internalise a lot of things.

By *ertsDrewMan
over a year ago

Hitchin

I stumbled on this post by accident following a restless night. I have suffered with bouts of depression for almost 10 years (and regrettably caused my loved ones much anguish in the process). Medication and exercise helps me cope most of the time but there are times when it catches you unawares. Running as part of a club works for me. Mainly because it is possible to socialize while exercising, if you feel in the mood for it, or you can run with your own thoughts if you can't face interaction. But no one will think any less of you if you do. The important thing is, just like here, knowing you not alone. Sure there are people in "the pull yourself together" brigade. Don't judge them, they are probably just fortunate that they have never suffered from depression. But when people are honest with you there are more who suffer than you realize. If you have never come across it I recommend you check out "I Had A Black Dog" by Matthew Johnstone (book or on YouTube). As he says the Black Dog is an "equal opportunities mongrel" .. it doesn't care what gender, age, religion, or social class you come from. Sorry if this rambled a bit but I hope it is of some use. Good luck to all of you Drew.

over a year ago

"I'm struggling with stress and depression at the moment. It feels overwhelming, and I want to hide. But, since I have to be a professional and a mummy, I internalise a lot of things.

"

That's not a good way to deal with it. It will surface eventually. Are there not family or friends you can talk to about it? Even not talking about your stress/depression directly, but just having time with loved ones is enough to make you feel cherished and psychologically can give you that feeling of having an arm around you.

Post new Message to Thread