FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Blocking

Jump to newest
 

By *arberella22 OP   Woman
7 weeks ago

nottingham

If I block someone, and I go on cam, can they see me on there? I assume not but I just want to check x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *WB85Man
7 weeks ago

Staffordshire

They might be able to....

Blocking hides your profile, you cant be clicked on and viewed. But you'll still show up to them on the forum with posts you start and replies in general.

You'll also show up in pictures section if you were to add them.

I'm sure someone else will confirm about the cams section, I've never used that facility.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkPomPomWoman
7 weeks ago

Isle of Man

They can't click on your cam or see what you write, but they can still see you're there

If you block while you're in a room, you sometimes have to close the browser and go back in for the block to take effect

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *arberella22 OP   Woman
7 weeks ago

nottingham

Thanks guys x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *he Happy ManMan
7 weeks ago

Merseyside


"If I block someone, and I go on cam, can they see me on there? I assume not but I just want to check x"

They can see you are in the room. They cannot see what you type in the room and they cannot see your webcam.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hatDominantGentMan
2 weeks ago

FY8


"If I block someone, and I go on cam, can they see me on there? I assume not but I just want to check x"

I am always amused and a little bemused by couples and single females who are in the “ whooooopeeee look how massive MY block list is I’m blocking loads of people block blockety block block!”

Because if fabs are using a fairly standard search engine protocol and I reckon they most likely are, then each block actually reduces your potential search pool not just by the one you blocked but similar profiles - so if you block a guy over 6ft you are going to see less guys over 6ft over time / if you block a couple who have dogging on their profile you will see less couples who also have dogging on their profile - it becomes self defeating in the end.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *its_and_TiramisuCouple
2 weeks ago

North Somerset


"If I block someone, and I go on cam, can they see me on there? I assume not but I just want to check x

I am always amused and a little bemused by couples and single females who are in the “ whooooopeeee look how massive MY block list is I’m blocking loads of people block blockety block block!”

Because if fabs are using a fairly standard search engine protocol and I reckon they most likely are, then each block actually reduces your potential search pool not just by the one you blocked but similar profiles - so if you block a guy over 6ft you are going to see less guys over 6ft over time / if you block a couple who have dogging on their profile you will see less couples who also have dogging on their profile - it becomes self defeating in the end."

That's not how it works.

If we block one profile that's male, 6ft and whatever age (say 40 for example), we'll still be able to see all the other male, 6ft 40 year olds.

The search parameters aren't linked to your block list in any way, shape or form.

Obi

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hatDominantGentMan
2 weeks ago

FY8

I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *arkAdonis2026Man
2 weeks ago

Bury


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately"

It doesn't use an algorithm, it's just a database query. At least that's what it looks like from the outside, I haven't pulled it apart obviously. This site was probably written when Alta Vista was the top search engine... 🤣

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *its_and_TiramisuCouple
2 weeks ago

North Somerset


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately"

A block is just a permanent filter.

Not an insult. Not playground behaviour.

It simply stops people you've blocked from showing ip in any searches you do and stops them messaging or viewing your profile. It's no different to 'shortlisting' applicants for a job interview, or going through a list of holiday destinations/hotels and crossing off the ones you'll never be interested in.

It's specific to whoever you block. Nobody else. A block on one person doesn't affect who else you can see nor does it (as you believe) adjust any algorithms. It's not that deep.

If you input search parameters it'll show you anyone (capped at 300 based on how recently they've logged in) that fits those parameters that you haven't blocked. The results won't be affected by your block list.

For people that proactively search for company the block button is a great tool. If you use it on those people that you know you'll never be interested in, it stops them coming up in future searches, saving you time. Especially as people have the ability to change profile pics, text and even usernames.

Obi

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rYoniMan
2 weeks ago

Essex ++


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately"

Sorry you've got that wrong. Fab search is not that sophisticated. It's old simple relatively simple software with no algorithm. It like pulling records from a database and blocking stops that person from being able to pull your record and that person from showing up in your list. That's all. If doesn't affect who else shows up.

Some people use blocking to get attention but in most cases they just don't want to see that profile and don't want that person being able to see them, message them etc. Most people who block don't even talk about it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *exyPlayTimeWoman
2 weeks ago

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 24/09/26 23:08:50]

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *exyPlayTimeWoman
2 weeks ago

Bournemouth


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately

Sorry you've got that wrong. Fab search is not that sophisticated. It's old simple relatively simple software with no algorithm. It like pulling records from a database and blocking stops that person from being able to pull your record and that person from showing up in your list. That's all. If doesn't affect who else shows up.

Some people use blocking to get attention but in most cases they just don't want to see that profile and don't want that person being able to see them, message them etc. Most people who block don't even talk about it. "

Exactly this and l really wish it would work more in the way you thought it might.

As it does not seem to matter what l write on my profile l am persistently approached by people l am not interested in, for reasons stated clearly on my profile.

I’m one hundred percent honest about l want and don’t want but that doesn’t seem to be working

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *arkAdonis2026Man
2 weeks ago

Bury


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately

Sorry you've got that wrong. Fab search is not that sophisticated. It's old simple relatively simple software with no algorithm. It like pulling records from a database and blocking stops that person from being able to pull your record and that person from showing up in your list. That's all. If doesn't affect who else shows up.

Some people use blocking to get attention but in most cases they just don't want to see that profile and don't want that person being able to see them, message them etc. Most people who block don't even talk about it.

Exactly this and l really wish it would work more in the way you thought it might.

As it does not seem to matter what l write on my profile l am persistently approached by people l am not interested in, for reasons stated clearly on my profile.

I’m one hundred percent honest about l want and don’t want but that doesn’t seem to be working

"


"I’m not sure you’re right on that - it depends on what search protocol fabs are using - if it’s specific to fabs then yes but if it’s just a standard search engine then over time - and that is the crucial thing - you will see less of certain types of profile. All search engines filter in this way.

I’m merely pointing out how silly the whole I’m blocking you I’m blocking lots of people look at meeee thing is on here - it’s a form of attention seeking - its like people on Facebook blocking each other and behaving like 6 year olds in the school playground “I’m not your friend anymore” but it’s ultimately self defeating.

It doesn’t just switch off everyone of that type immediately

Sorry you've got that wrong. Fab search is not that sophisticated. It's old simple relatively simple software with no algorithm. It like pulling records from a database and blocking stops that person from being able to pull your record and that person from showing up in your list. That's all. If doesn't affect who else shows up.

Some people use blocking to get attention but in most cases they just don't want to see that profile and don't want that person being able to see them, message them etc. Most people who block don't even talk about it.

Exactly this and l really wish it would work more in the way you thought it might.

As it does not seem to matter what l write on my profile l am persistently approached by people l am not interested in, for reasons stated clearly on my profile.

I’m one hundred percent honest about l want and don’t want but that doesn’t seem to be working

"

Your issue here is you're assuming they read your profile before messaging you. They don't. So it doesn't really matter what you write on there, they aren't going to read it anyway. 😆

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 
 

By *exyPlayTimeWoman
2 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I am absolutely with you on that one but l don’t understand why people message without reading a profile. Seems mad to me.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread
back to top