Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Sydney Univetsity etc...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What's with these 'legal warnings' that people have on their profiles? You have posted pics on a website. It is in the public domain. You have no rights over what people do or don't do with them. Stop wasting space making idle threats that neither you nor anyone else can enforce. As for Sydney University using your pics for any purpose whatsoever....how far up your own arse do you need to be to beleive anyone would want to??

It's like one of those stupid chain letters that used to do the rounds years ago. Delete the shit from your profiles and free up some server space for others.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"You have posted pics on a website. It is in the public domain. You have no rights over what people do or don't do with them. Stop wasting space making idle threats that neither you nor anyone else can enforce. t to??."

Hi guys - actually you do. You are the copyright owner as you took the images. So those who use your images without your permission are in breach of copyright.

- not that I do this for a living

R

over a year ago

Totally agree.... leave some space for my verifications!@

over a year ago

Hi guys - actually you do. You are the copyright owner as you took the images. So those who use your images without your permission are in breach of copyright.

And like you could do anything?? Try enforcing what? Think the main point of the first post is how anally retentive people are who put the notice on in the first place. ...

over a year ago

"

And like you could do anything?? Try enforcing what? Think the main point of the first post is how anally retentive people are who put the notice on in the first place. ..."

Really. Enforcement for breach of copyright is very straightforward, like most of our rights. The concern is no one really educates themselves in what they are

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/06/13 00:34:25]

over a year ago

"

Really. Enforcement for breach of copyright is very straightforward, like most of our rights. The concern is no one really educates themselves in what they are "

But the copyright lies with the site. Not with yourselves??

Also note that you yourselves don't have the notice. ... in fact a sensible and well written profile.

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

Mmmmmmmm?

I think the biggest question is if someone on the other side of the planet decides to use your images, how would you know? And how could you track them down?

How do you know that someone hasn't already printed every picture from the site? What if several people have already done so? What could you do about it? And why has Sidney University been picked out? Surely they can't be the only culprit.

I agree that you own the copyright to your own photographs, but I also can't help feeling that those little 'reminders' serve very little purpose.

over a year ago

"

Really. Enforcement for breach of copyright is very straightforward, like most of our rights. The concern is no one really educates themselves in what they are

But the copyright lies with the site. Not with yourselves??

Also note that you yourselves don't have the notice. ... in fact a sensible and well written profile. "

Thank you But YOU still own the copyright - not FAB. It cannot sell your images without your permission

over a year ago

search New UK Image Copyright Law which now Legalises Nicking Photos Off the Internet

as of this year seal em prove it or

they are any bodies

over a year ago

"Mmmmmmmm?

I think the biggest question is if someone on the other side of the planet decides to use your images, how would you know? And how could you track them down?

How do you know that someone hasn't already printed every picture from the site? What if several people have already done so? What could you do about it? And why has Sidney University been picked out? Surely they can't be the only culprit.

I agree that you own the copyright to your own photographs, but I also can't help feeling that those little 'reminders' serve very little purpose."

It's a massive and deverse piece of law. And you are correct on my points. There are now systems/software that you can use that can trace any image - in fact Google offers that service.

I don't know the history or the significance of Sydney Uni but guessing they broke copyright. The concern is how many folks copy and paste those sentences without even knowing what they mean

over a year ago

"

search New UK Image Copyright Law which now Legalises Nicking Photos Off the Internet

as of this year seal em prove it or

they are any bodies"

Sadly not as straight forward as that. The 'orphan images' rule still applies.

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

I always thought having that paragraph on a profile smacks of self importance and being up yer own arse.....imho n shit

By *sforfun1970Couple
over a year ago

Kiddy

[Removed by poster at 28/06/13 10:01:48]

over a year ago

I despair when I see a profile that might otherwise be interesting, but where the "Sidney Uni" bit forms the greater part of the wording...

I've noticed that, whenever I see it, I just loose interest in whoever it is and pass on to find someone with more to say..!!

over a year ago

"I despair when I see a profile that might otherwise be interesting, but where the "Sidney Uni" bit forms the greater part of the wording...

I've noticed that, whenever I see it, I just loose interest in whoever it is and pass on to find someone with more to say..!!

"

I agree. I've read profiles with one three or four word sentence then a big long paragraph on Sidney Uni. The funny this is that most of the time these people don't have any pics on show anyway lol

I put a tongue in cheek notice up a few years ago to say that if anyone pinched my pics I'd be round to poke them in the eye with my high heels and ask for them back!

over a year ago

Whether its copyright or not the point is how many of you that place this disclaimer on will seek to take Sydney Uni or anyone else for that matter to court, very few I feel as it both time consuming and very costly. Placing that message on your profile wont bother them as they know you will do nothing so why waste valuable profile space by putting worthless information on!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"What's with these 'legal warnings' that people have on their profiles? You have posted pics on a website. It is in the public domain. You have no rights over what people do or don't do with them. Stop wasting space making idle threats that neither you nor anyone else can enforce. As for Sydney University using your pics for any purpose whatsoever....how far up your own arse do you need to be to beleive anyone would want to??

It's like one of those stupid chain letters that used to do the rounds years ago. Delete the shit from your profiles and free up some server space for others."

its a well known fact that sydney university need a regular supply of new wank bank photos for there sperm research facility

over a year ago

As we understand the new laws anyone who wants to use others pics have to show they have made a "reasonable" effort to contact the owner of the pic but that does leave a large window of what is reasonable. At the end of the day if you don't want anyone to use your pictures don't post them, then you don't have to post the server wasting disclaimer. The site owners have posted in threads in the past that the disclaimer is pointless.

over a year ago

From the FAQ We've noticed a legal disclaimer paragraph that some people have on their profiles. Should we have one too?What are they about? Do they do any good?The "legal disclaimer" is pointless nonsense and all does is take up extra space on our servers. Please remove it if you have it on your profile. If you're worried about privacy please set your account to be hidden from non-registered users on your privacy page (this also hides it from search engines but may take a week or two to drop out of search) and remove the notice (and encourage others to do likewise). Common sense advice would be NOT to put any information on your profile (here, or on any such site) that could identify you or that you don't want to become public! So for your own benefit, don't post phone numbers, real names or email / instant message addresses on your profile that people might see or "Google". Some people may put non-identifying pics on their public profile but keep face pics private or for friends, for example.

over a year ago

"I despair when I see a profile that might otherwise be interesting, but where the "Sidney Uni" bit forms the greater part of the wording...

Will keep an eye on your profile as would love you to come round mine and poke me or vise versa

I agree. I've read profiles with one three or four word sentence then a big long paragraph on Sidney Uni. The funny this is that most of the time these people don't have any pics on show anyway lol

I put a tongue in cheek notice up a few years ago to say that if anyone pinched my pics I'd be round to poke them in the eye with my high heels and ask for them back! "

over a year ago

Something I've always wondered - how long ago was the Sidney Uni study ..if there ever was one at all?

The disclaimer seems a little out of date now...

By *uited staffs guyMan
over a year ago

staffordshire

I've often suggested a mild electric shock through the keyboard, for anyone who types/pastes 'Sydney university' would improve the site dramatically

over a year ago

This is what ours says

To: Sydney University and all other institutions using this site or its associated sites for projects - knock yourselves out, our pics are hot and were not ashamed to be here!

Copyright is copyright but frankly we don't really care

over a year ago

WARNING LEGAL NOTE: If you are from an Educational Institution using this or any Adult Friend Finder site or its associated sites for projects - you have full permission from me to use any of our profile or pictures in any form or forum, both current and future and wank over them if you have to. If you have or do, it will be considered as a grand gesture and will be subject to nolegal action what so ever. This also applies to any other group or individual who copies or removes any of my photos or text for any purpose without our written consent.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Of course, it may be "possible" to sue someone for breech of copyright, but really!

Loads of profiles on here state just how they have to be discreet and then launch into the whole "Sydney" thing! Does that mean that they won't tell anyone, unless there is a court case and they will say fuck the neighbours, family and job, we are going to sue!

over a year ago

as a layman I found this topic uninteresting but was glad to find out the message I pasted was a waste of space.

maybe one of you lot that really understands it should compose a letter for the web site to send to all of us.

we will no where we stand, save space as well. I guess most people think they are covered with this letter. I had my douts but still pasted it

thanks for clearing it up lee

over a year ago

"

And like you could do anything?? Try enforcing what? Think the main point of the first post is how anally retentive people are who put the notice on in the first place. ..."

By who's standards, seeing as op probs hasn't met anyone with the notice on profile as yet, and who the fuck are any of ye to tell folks what to have or not have on their profiles?

take a bit more notice of yer own profiles and shady pics, and leave other folk alone!

over a year ago

To be fair we look at people's profiles and if they have the Sydney Uni warning we immediately realise they're too dim for us to meet. So it is a useful tool in some respects

By *idsbear68Man
over a year ago

Barnoldswick

Hi guys I noticed this in the FAQ page.

We've noticed a legal disclaimer paragraph that some people have on their profiles. Should we have one too? What are they about? Do they do any good?The "legal disclaimer" is pointless nonsense and all does is take up extra space on our servers. Please remove it if you have it on your profile. If you're worried about privacy please set your account to be hidden from non-registered users on your privacy page (this also hides it from search engines but may take a week or two to drop out of search) and remove the notice (and encourage others to do likewise).Common sense advice would be NOT to put any information on your profile (here, or on any such site) that could identify you or that you don't want to become public! So for your own benefit, don't post phone numbers, real names or email / instant message addresses on your profile that people might see or "Google".Some people may put non-identifying pics on their public profile but keep face pics private or for friends, for example.

over a year ago

The phenomenon was written about in a landmark book called "the madness of crowds"

People do what the see others doing in large numbers....without questioning...

That's one of the reasons large scale scams and swindles work so well...and why Bernie Madoff was able to run the worlds largest ever ponzu scam...

It was also written about by Hans Christen Anderson in the fable "the kings new clothes"

People on here copy and paste the Sidney Uni stuff without questioning it....because everyone else is doing it...

over a year ago

"To be fair we look at people's profiles and if they have the Sydney Uni warning we immediately realise they're too dim for us to meet. So it is a useful tool in some respects "

Nice one. Any other filters you use...

over a year ago

"To be fair we look at people's profiles and if they have the Sydney Uni warning we immediately realise they're too dim for us to meet. So it is a useful tool in some respects

Nice one. Any other filters you use..."

Signs of some form of intelligence helps!

over a year ago

I think people just like to be able to use the word 'ramifications' for the first time ever. Ramifications. Sounds rude and dirty to me. Mmmmmmm

By *anetandNickCouple
over a year ago

Ross-on-Wye

"

Really. Enforcement for breach of copyright is very straightforward, like most of our rights. The concern is no one really educates themselves in what they are "

Straightforward for some, maybe.

When a newspaper stole one of our photos a few years back, and published it with their own copyright notice at the bottom, we went to see our solicitor, a family friend.

He said "I'm afraid I have to ask you first, how much money you want to put into this".

over a year ago

Do we all have a legal remedy for copyright infringement? Yes

Do we have then irrespective of the notice? Yes

Does the notice serve a purpose? No

Can we obtain Justice at a fair price? For that I shall quote 19th Century Irish Judge Sir James Mathew

'Justice in England is open to all, just like the Ritz'

over a year ago

"The phenomenon was written about in a landmark book called "the madness of crowds"

People do what the see others doing in large numbers....without questioning...

That's one of the reasons large scale scams and swindles work so well...and why Bernie Madoff was able to run the worlds largest ever ponzu scam...

It was also written about by Hans Christen Anderson in the fable "the kings new clothes"

People on here copy and paste the Sidney Uni stuff without questioning it....because everyone else is doing it..."

That sounds popular, I might read it

See what I did there

over a year ago

Has anyone ever sued sydney university ???????

By *lleyCat1969Man
over a year ago

Folkestone

I don't mind the Sydney University disclaimer (whether or not it's legally useful) except when it's longer than the user's profile.

And from this site's terms & conditions, which we've all signed up to:

10.2 If you publish any Content, you are allowing us to copy, alter, adapt or display such Content on our site.

It's all in the small print

over a year ago

"as a layman I found this topic uninteresting but was glad to find out the message I pasted was a waste of space.

maybe one of you lot that really understands it should compose a letter for the web site to send to all of us.

we will no where we stand, save space as well. I guess most people think they are covered with this letter. I had my douts but still pasted it

thanks for clearing it up lee "

Letter? Why do we all need a letter? It tells you in the FAQ that it's pointless

over a year ago

"I don't mind the Sydney University disclaimer (whether or not it's legally useful) except when it's longer than the user's profile.

10.2 If you publish any Content, you are allowing us to copy, alter, adapt or display such Content on our site.

"

Depends what is meant by 'us' but peoples issue is not with fabs but rather Sydney University.

By *b586Couple
over a year ago

pemberton twp

"From the FAQ We've noticed a legal disclaimer paragraph that some people have on their profiles. Should we have one too?What are they about? Do they do any good?The "legal disclaimer" is pointless nonsense and all does is take up extra space on our servers. Please remove it if you have it on your profile. If you're worried about privacy please set your account to be hidden from non-registered users on your privacy page (this also hides it from search engines but may take a week or two to drop out of search) and remove the notice (and encourage others to do likewise). Common sense advice would be NOT to put any information on your profile (here, or on any such site) that could identify you or that you don't want to become public! So for your own benefit, don't post phone numbers, real names or email / instant message addresses on your profile that people might see or "Google". Some people may put non-identifying pics on their public profile but keep face pics private or for friends, for example."

I am a reader. So when we signed up I read this info also. Along with a regular following of the forum. I feel if you don't want people to look, perv, or steal your pics then don't post em. Everything I have public is only found here at FAB. I send face pics with my new messages without being afraid. I want to believe we are here to meet n be friendly. My friend n private pics I trust people are not stealing. Theres many others so more interesting. I'm not so paranoid. Tho I try not to post provocative pics w our faces showing. Just in case. Also had my first use of cams a few weeks ago And was warned by my partner, anyone could record me n post anywheres else, didnt think of that. Such a shame as it was so fun. (K)

By *lleyCat1969Man
over a year ago

Folkestone

"I don't mind the Sydney University disclaimer (whether or not it's legally useful) except when it's longer than the user's profile.

Depends what is meant by 'us' but peoples issue is not with fabs but rather Sydney University. "

I was simply pointing out that IP is a complicated issue, and while site users might own the copyright, use can be unwittingly granted to others.

Post new Message to Thread