Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Verification safety

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I had recently been chatting to a bloke on here, wasn’t too sure about him as he was only photo verified, he added me as a friend although I didn’t accept as I prefer to video call first to be safe, any way he had sent me a couple of messages and I didn’t reply, but then last night I got a WhatsApp from him! I checked through the message thread as I knew I hadn’t given him my number and when I questioned him on it he blocked me on WhatsApp and on the site.

This has left me feeling really vulnerable when it comes to chatting and sharing my photos, is the sites photo verification not as robust as I thought???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sounds like you already know him and gave your number previously hence him having no pics here cause you'd then know who he was maybe?

over a year ago

What does the site photo verification have to do with anything?

How were you going to video call with him? Did you give him your phone number?

over a year ago

I had never messaged him before and he had never WhatsApped me before that’s why it has unsettled me so much I know he was a stranger to me

over a year ago

No I never gave him my number I usually video call via Skype or Snapchat

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

What do you think photo verification does?

It doesn’t prove anything other than 1 or 2 naked people holding up a sign, which for those determined people could be edited.

It’s not like you have to sign up with any form of ID, nor does it prove the type of person you are.

over a year ago

That’s strange. Ive had some strange experiences too in here from what I’m sure are fake accounts

over a year ago

Don't think for a second he's got your number via fab, more likely you do know him but he's on the wind up with you.

over a year ago

Maybe he had another account in the past and you had shared your number with him on that account? You might not necessarily have realised he was someone you communicated with before

Either way, as someone already said, there's no connection to site photo verification

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"No I never gave him my number I usually video call via Skype or Snapchat "

Unless he either got your number from someone else you know ir was an incredibly lucky guesser, the only other way would be if you have it posted somewhere and your profile here or the information you gave him allows you to be doxed.

over a year ago

I must just be naive because I thought it proved your photo is who you say you are, but he couldn’t be because he wouldn’t have had my number otherwise

over a year ago

"I must just be naive because I thought it proved your photo is who you say you are, but he couldn’t be because he wouldn’t have had my number otherwise "

But even if the photo he used was him, its not like you see it.

Could be an ex, someone you know away from fab who's messing with you, any number of things, just block the number and forget it.

over a year ago

Thanks, you’re right! It’s going to bug me but nothing I can do about it so I’ll just block it

over a year ago

"Thanks, you’re right! It’s going to bug me but nothing I can do about it so I’ll just block it"

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Dies he know your real name? Could he of found you on FB?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm not sure from your post of you've seen a picture of the guys face. Your phone number isn't required to photo verify the rules for photo verification are here

https://www.fabswingers.com/photoverification

Did you give him an email address?

If he whatsapped you, you would have had his number too so I'm not sure what he thought he was playing at there. My best guess is that he knows you.

I can understand how this will make you feel vulnerable. Whoever it is is a creep frightening people like that then blocking them.

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I can understand totally why this has creeped you out,

The photo verification just proves he's a real man in his pics.

I reckon he must be someone who has been on before and maybe you gave him your number.

He could have explained how he got your number rather than blocking you though.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I had recently been chatting to a bloke on here, wasn’t too sure about him as he was only photo verified, he added me as a friend although I didn’t accept as I prefer to video call first to be safe, any way he had sent me a couple of messages and I didn’t reply, but then last night I got a WhatsApp from him! I checked through the message thread as I knew I hadn’t given him my number and when I questioned him on it he blocked me on WhatsApp and on the site.

This has left me feeling really vulnerable when it comes to chatting and sharing my photos, is the sites photo verification not as robust as I thought??? "

You don't give your phone number to the site for anything and wouldn't to upload a pic. You must have given him your number before on another profile

By *nlyfun3Woman
over a year ago

NEAR Berkhamsted,Herts

If u spoke via insta, Facebook it links to ur WhatsApp. If he knew or guessed ur real name it could of been via there?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Did you show him a face pic ?

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

I thought Facebook, too. As if you showed him your face pic and he got your name, he could have found you there, got your number if you have it linked to your account and message you. It's all now linked, unfortunately. As an example: I posted something on Marketplace yesterday and got a question if I wanted potential buyers to contact me via WhatsApp. I'm like "no way in hell" lol.

Check your settings, make sure your number is either not connected to your FB account or it can't be seen by anyone but you.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Could it be someone you know who has found you on here? Maybe they were looking at who's near, seen your profile and put two and two together. Maybe they already have your number because they know you or they got it off someone else you work or hang out with who knows your both known to each other?

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

There is a concept called 'Jigsaw identification' where individuals can piece together personal informaion from multiple disparate online sources to produce a good guesstimate of who a person is.

The internet is an amazing tool, but regrettably can occasionally be used by 'creeps' to spook people.

Organised crime groups are experts at jigsaw identification, particularly scammers.

Post new Message to Thread