FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Swinging Support and Advice

Damp? (Not the sexual kind unfortunately)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I wasn't sure if this should be here or in the lounge so mods please move if necessary.

I've noticed the paint above my bedroom window is bobbling and peeling. The room is cold admittedly as I rarely put the heating on in there (prefer to sleep in the cool now im menopausal!). The vents are open. So my question is does this sound like damp. Should I be heating the room daily to try and dry it out?

Sorry if this is a daft question

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yeah, stick the heating on for a few days, nothing major, just something to dry the air out a bit. Also check the outside wall above the window to see if there's any damage to the rendering/brick work/pointing (the "grout" in between brick and stone) and the roof and gutters. If it's an upstairs bedroom it could be that there's a problem with the roof, or gutters overflowing/cracking.

Keep an eye on it. If it's new and you've lived there for ages then it's possibly to do with a change in heating or damage/ingress.

Someone more qualified may be able to assist more - diagnosing causes of damp can be a bit of crap shoot.

over a year ago

"Yeah, stick the heating on for a few days, nothing major, just something to dry the air out a bit. Also check the outside wall above the window to see if there's any damage to the rendering/brick work/pointing (the "grout" in between brick and stone) and the roof and gutters. If it's an upstairs bedroom it could be that there's a problem with the roof, or gutters overflowing/cracking.

Keep an eye on it. If it's new and you've lived there for ages then it's possibly to do with a change in heating or damage/ingress.

Someone more qualified may be able to assist more - diagnosing causes of damp can be a bit of crap shoot."

I'm in a ground floor flat. Two flats above me. Just checked the outside. Black mould appears to be growing at top of vents, brickwork has damp patches. Ill do as you suggest and get some heat in there daily. Ive literally just moved in so will flag this up to the agents. The flat doesn't get any sun at all so I think this could be a factor. Its probably just too cold in there. Thank you for your help xx

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"Yeah, stick the heating on for a few days, nothing major, just something to dry the air out a bit. Also check the outside wall above the window to see if there's any damage to the rendering/brick work/pointing (the "grout" in between brick and stone) and the roof and gutters. If it's an upstairs bedroom it could be that there's a problem with the roof, or gutters overflowing/cracking.

Someone more qualified may be able to assist more - diagnosing causes of damp can be a bit of crap shoot.

I'm in a ground floor flat. Two flats above me. Just checked the outside. Black mould appears to be growing at top of vents, brickwork has damp patches. Ill do as you suggest and get some heat in there daily. Ive literally just moved in so will flag this up to the agents. The flat doesn't get any sun at all so I think this could be a factor. Its probably just too cold in there. Thank you for your help xx"

if its black mould, kill it with bleach & paint over with a damp proof paint. the agent should do at least the painting for you, I'd wash it down with bleach regardless to kill the sores...bin the cloth/sponge afterwards if your not going to sterilize it.

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

Because your not heating the room it will just come back. Might be worth getting a dehumidifier and drying the room out with that so you don’t have to put the heating on

over a year ago

I'm in a ground floor flat. Two flats above me. Just checked the outside. Black mould appears to be growing at top of vents, brickwork has damp patches. Ill do as you suggest and get some heat in there daily. Ive literally just moved in so will flag this up to the agents. The flat doesn't get any sun at all so I think this could be a factor. Its probably just too cold in there. Thank you for your help xx

if its black mould, kill it with bleach & paint over with a damp proof paint. the agent should do at least the painting for you, I'd wash it down with bleach regardless to kill the sores...bin the cloth/sponge afterwards if your not going to sterilize it."

Good idea. Will deffo get the bleach out. I'm going to get onto the letting agents too, they need to come out and see it. Thank you

over a year ago

"Because your not heating the room it will just come back. Might be worth getting a dehumidifier and drying the room out with that so you don’t have to put the heating on"

I think I've got one of them kicking around somewhere. Will use that and put the heating on after. Probably my fault for not putting it on in the first place. Thank you for replying

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

If you've got black mould outside on the brickwork that doesn't sound right at all.

You need to be a pain to the letting agents keep at them, threaten them with environmental health inspections etc

over a year ago

"If you've got black mould outside on the brickwork that doesn't sound right at all.

You need to be a pain to the letting agents keep at them, threaten them with environmental health inspections etc

"

Spoken to the agents and they're sending someone next week to have a look

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Astonish do a really good mould and mildew spray for £1 that you can get from loads of places including home bargains and b&m that are currently open.

Also it could be worth trying a dehumidifier if you feel you've got too much damp air in the room.

over a year ago

"Astonish do a really good mould and mildew spray for £1 that you can get from loads of places including home bargains and b&m that are currently open.

Also it could be worth trying a dehumidifier if you feel you've got too much damp air in the room."

Thank you _litterbabe. Ive got a local b&m store close by so ill pick some up in the morning. Ive got a dehumidifier and its currently on. Fingers crossed it works

over a year ago

Hmmm once I've dehumidifier it, should i keep the door closed when the heater is on or keep it open to let the air circulate? Its a tiny flat....

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

the main causeses of mould are lack of air flow. Too much humidity and a lack of heating.

To stop it.

Cook with windows open

Try to dry washing outside and not on rads

If you have trickle vents on windows leave them open

Avoid tumble dryers

Put a dehumidifier in.

Kill with a good mould spray

Then paint with a mould resistant paint.

If still persists then you have a penetrative damp isuue.

And just for info any damp above a metre high can't be rising damp due to gravity fact

over a year ago

"the main causeses of mould are lack of air flow. Too much humidity and a lack of heating.

To stop it.

Cook with windows open

Try to dry washing outside and not on rads

If you have trickle vents on windows leave them open

Avoid tumble dryers

Put a dehumidifier in.

Kill with a good mould spray

Then paint with a mould resistant paint.

If still persists then you have a penetrative damp isuue.

And just for info any damp above a metre high can't be rising damp due to gravity fact

"

I do pretty much all of the above. Ill see what the agents say. I'll definitely be heating the room though. Thank you for the information

By *errysMan
over a year ago

milton keynes and kent

The paint is bobbling i assume bubbling is more indicative of some kind of water ingress dont clean anything till someone has inspected properly warm air holds more moisture than cold air and condenses when it meets a cold spot your room is cold with ventilation open.

It could be a construction issue above the window but like weep holes blocked or water from above.

If the damp source is not stopped the mold will always reappear.

Professional advice should be sought.

over a year ago

"If you've got black mould outside on the brickwork that doesn't sound right at all.

"

yes this is a good idea report it ASAP the spores are very bad for you

By *arren the doggerMan
over a year ago

willenhall

As it's a let it's landlords responsibility to sort it out . It's a health hazard. Threaten to withhold the rent . That normally gets em going. Was it empty a long time before occupancy ? Bare in mind during lockdown they can't evict you even if you don't pay a penny in rent ! I know to my cost!

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"As it's a let it's landlords responsibility to sort it out . It's a health hazard. Threaten to withhold the rent . That normally gets em going. Was it empty a long time before occupancy ? Bare in mind during lockdown they can't evict you even if you don't pay a penny in rent ! I know to my cost! "

Yes, people can still get evicted, in exceptional circumstances.

Also, as stated above, damp is often caused by the occupants lifestyle.

Please do not post things that appear to encourage people not to pay their rent... not paying if you can, will always catch up with you, and not in a good way.

over a year ago

"The paint is bobbling i assume bubbling is more indicative of some kind of water ingress dont clean anything till someone has inspected properly warm air holds more moisture than cold air and condenses when it meets a cold spot your room is cold with ventilation open.

It could be a construction issue above the window but like weep holes blocked or water from above.

If the damp source is not stopped the mold will always reappear.

Professional advice should be sought.

"

Ill see what agents say next week. There's clearly some kind of problem because it is cold in the room. I've taken pics etc just to cover myself. Thank you

over a year ago

"As it's a let it's landlords responsibility to sort it out . It's a health hazard. Threaten to withhold the rent . That normally gets em going. Was it empty a long time before occupancy ? Bare in mind during lockdown they can't evict you even if you don't pay a penny in rent ! I know to my cost!

Yes, people can still get evicted, in exceptional circumstances.

Also, as stated above, damp is often caused by the occupants lifestyle.

Please do not post things that appear to encourage people not to pay their rent... not paying if you can, will always catch up with you, and not in a good way."

Dont worry I'm a good girl, I'd never withhold payment.

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

"As it's a let it's landlords responsibility to sort it out . It's a health hazard. Threaten to withhold the rent . That normally gets em going. Was it empty a long time before occupancy ? Bare in mind during lockdown they can't evict you even if you don't pay a penny in rent ! I know to my cost! "

Sorry but that isn't the best advice. Yes it's the landlords responsibility. But as I'm sure you will be aware. Nowhere in your tenancy agreement will it tell you to with old rent. That's a slippery road that will comeback to haunt you..

Make sure you put your concerns in writing to the agent /landlord, don't just phone it in. I hope you get it sorted

By *orkshire-guy69Man
over a year ago

Leeds

Check all external rainwater and soil pipes for any damage or leaks, gutters and stack etc. Also check for any plants or vegetation growing externally.

Keep the room heated and ventilated and kill the mould with some form of product.

Don't dry or air wet clothes in there as that puts moisture in the room.

If it persists it could be a leak from the flat above.

over a year ago

Me again (on my singles profile).

Update: This is turning into a bloody nightmare scenario!

So there is clearly a humungus leak above my flat, cannot tell if its directly from the flat above or from a hidden pipe etc. Long story short they havent been able to get access to the flat above yet. Finally, yesterday they made contact with the tenant and hopefully they (the property services company) will be out to investigate. My problem is this - the room is so damp now there are huge wet patches coming through the walls the paint is peeling off and mould is appearing in the corners. I had been told by a lad who works for the landlord, not to sleep in the room so I have now had to take my mattress out of the bedroom and im sleeping on it in my living room. My insurance doesnt cover me as its only contents insurance.

My question is this - am I right to insist the landlord claims under his building insurance to put me in a hotel, can I claim compensation, refund on rent, its costing loads in electric to try and keep the room warm etc.

I'm so fed up, even if they come out Monday this isnt going to be resolved quickly and I'm worried this is going to do harm to my health

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Yes it’s absolutely on the landlords buildings insurance, it’s not your building, just your contents.

Keep hassling, moaning, complaining, be a pain until it’s resolved.

Lawyers will help you if necessary but that’s obviously an expense up front, moaning is better at this stage.

over a year ago

"Yes it’s absolutely on the landlords buildings insurance, it’s not your building, just your contents.

Keep hassling, moaning, complaining, be a pain until it’s resolved.

Lawyers will help you if necessary but that’s obviously an expense up front, moaning is better at this stage."

to be fair to the landlord he's just a peed off with the property services company as I am. I'm taking pictures and videos daily to document it all. I just dont want to be in the flat, its really getting to me. I want to check into a hotel where at least I know i'll be ok but cant afford to do that long term. Landlord is also hacked off because he pays the letting agents a fee & they should be dealing with the property services guys but they just ask the landlord to deal with it so were both pissed off. i mean this could literally take months to sort out, i feel like crying

By *andare63Man
over a year ago

oldham

As a landlord I have to tell you that not all landlords insurance covers the cost of a hotel. However under the circumstances I would feel obliged to pay for alternative until I could get it sorted. I also agree that your landlord should be helping out with the cost of trying to keep it dry. Regardless if the issue is above then the likelihood is any claim will be on the flat aboves policy. Its a difficult one I feel for you. I hope you get sorted soon

over a year ago

"As a landlord I have to tell you that not all landlords insurance covers the cost of a hotel. However under the circumstances I would feel obliged to pay for alternative until I could get it sorted. I also agree that your landlord should be helping out with the cost of trying to keep it dry. Regardless if the issue is above then the likelihood is any claim will be on the flat aboves policy. Its a difficult one I feel for you. I hope you get sorted soon "

Interesting that my landlords insurance may not cover it. I'll have to speak to him once the above flat has been looked at. As Ive literally only just moved in I dont want to get into any arguments with him but I really dont want to stay here. Thank you for responding x

Post new Message to Thread