Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Spain

Moving to spain

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

As some one who is brought up in London.

I really want a bit of change and want to be able to at least able to be in warmer place through out the Christmas

Any recommendation of which part Spain peopleo could recommend

I don't know if I want to move there permanently or temporary

But ideally a little place in heaven could be the best way to describe it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *urfdudeMan
over a year ago

WEXFORD

The south of Spain, Costa Del Sol would be my recommendation. This time of year the weather is better than the rest of Spain. The Sierra Blanca mountains keep off the rain and you get the sea cooling breeze in summer. Plus Malaga airport is very popular during normal times so easy access. That’s my penny’s worth if it helps

By *cotRandomMan
over a year ago

SPAIN

Murcia & Almeria can be cheaper for buying property, but I’ve found my slice of heaven just north of the Alicante/Murcia border. I’m 15 minutes to a beach, higher up a hill to avoid the “Gota Frias” (biblical type rainstorms that happen very infrequently), with everything needed in a friendly “mixed” village/town.

It depends what you’re looking for regards being in a Brit community, mixed, or predominantly Spanish community. What I have found is that the Spanish are very welcoming, friendly & like if you attempt to embrace the Spanish lifestyle.

Do some research, visit some areas & see if you like it. I’d also suggest maybe renting before you buy so you’re sure it’s the right area for you, as houses can take a while to sell if you suddenly decide you don’t like the place.

Good luck.

By *uffymayfairCouple
over a year ago

Almeria

We are in Almeria, about 30 minutes from Vera, we only moved here 5 weeks ago and we are certainly enjoying it here

over a year ago

Lucky you

over a year ago

I really want a are rare I could enjoy swinging life style maby near by a swinging lifestyle area and near the beach

By *elly39devonCouple
over a year ago

tavistock

glad u are enjoying Almeria, we have bought a holiday apartment in vera near the naturist beach and hoping to get there this summer. Its a great mix of people

By *leyxxxMan
over a year ago

Southampton/London/Bristol

I am planning to move near Malaga but later in the year.

I need to learn my espanol, so I can talk to locals.

By *havennaturistsCouple
over a year ago

Banff

"As some one who is brought up in London.

I really want a bit of change and want to be able to at least able to be in warmer place through out the Christmas

Any recommendation of which part Spain peopleo could recommend

I don't know if I want to move there permanently or temporary

But ideally a little place in heaven could be the best way to describe it

"

Canary Islands. Enjoy warmth and sunshine all year round.

By *ostafunMan
over a year ago

near ipswich

"The south of Spain, Costa Del Sol would be my recommendation. This time of year the weather is better than the rest of Spain. The Sierra Blanca mountains keep off the rain and you get the sea cooling breeze in summer. Plus Malaga airport is very popular during normal times so easy access. That’s my penny’s worth if it helps"
Just dont get tempted by the cheaper houses in the mountains it is not warm in the winter stick to the coast.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The south of Spain, Costa Del Sol would be my recommendation. This time of year the weather is better than the rest of Spain. The Sierra Blanca mountains keep off the rain and you get the sea cooling breeze in summer. Plus Malaga airport is very popular during normal times so easy access. That’s my penny’s worth if it helpsJust dont get tempted by the cheaper houses in the mountains it is not warm in the winter stick to the coast."

That is very true and it's not just because it's colder up there in the winter. In the summer months it can be as much as 10 degrees hotter just a few kms inland from the coast.

Also living in a predominantly Spanish community is not as easy as some people think. Without a decent command of the language it can be very difficult for expats. We know quite a few who have tried and made a very expensive mistake.

Another thing to take into account is local infrastructure (and I don't just mean distance to the pool) Check out things like distance to the nearest hospital. When you are sat in your villa with chest pains is not the time to find out that the nearest one is an hour away down a winding mountain road (and it can be)

Lastly the best advice I can give to anyone is to rent before you buy. Take a place for 6 or 12 months and if you don't like the area then you can move on. Walking away from a rental is much easier than trying to sell up.

By *azer6Couple
over a year ago

Almeria

Absolutely agree here, we are half an hour inland but get the extremes of temperatures.

By *wingalingCoolCouple
over a year ago

UK/Spain

You may also want to look at requirements needed after 1st January,

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"The south of Spain, Costa Del Sol would be my recommendation. This time of year the weather is better than the rest of Spain. The Sierra Blanca mountains keep off the rain and you get the sea cooling breeze in summer. Plus Malaga airport is very popular during normal times so easy access. That’s my penny’s worth if it helpsJust dont get tempted by the cheaper houses in the mountains it is not warm in the winter stick to the coast.

That is very true and it's not just because it's colder up there in the winter. In the summer months it can be as much as 10 degrees hotter just a few kms inland from the coast.

Also living in a predominantly Spanish community is not as easy as some people think. Without a decent command of the language it can be very difficult for expats. We know quite a few who have tried and made a very expensive mistake.

Another thing to take into account is local infrastructure (and I don't just mean distance to the pool) Check out things like distance to the nearest hospital. When you are sat in your villa with chest pains is not the time to find out that the nearest one is an hour away down a winding mountain road (and it can be)

Lastly the best advice I can give to anyone is to rent before you buy. Take a place for 6 or 12 months and if you don't like the area then you can move on. Walking away from a rental is much easier than trying to sell up.

"

Some great advice there. Thanks. Similar points apply also to France I guess- other than the heat.

over a year ago

Thanks peeeeps it was much helpfull

By *ouble CCouple
over a year ago

Gran Canaria

For those who are in the UK and looking to return to their homes in Spain, here are a few pointers from someone who went home two days ago.

The FCO has advised that you need Residencia or proof that you are in the process of applying. It appears the authorities don't want you to put a foot on Spanish soil before they have checked your paperwork. As the first guy off the plane I made the mistake of putting a foot on the top step and it was met with a very firm response! They checked everyone's paperwork in the doorway of the plane and if you didn't meet the criteria there was no debate. You just didn't get off the plane.

This was just step one as Passport/Border Control were even more thorough.

The FCO advises that the Spanish aren't interested in your Patron Registration at Town Hall etc, but in my case at least they weren't interested in my residencia, but rather proof that I lived in GC.

Most Spanish here love it when they see you are trying to learn their language and if you babble at 100mph in English like I do you will get Spanish back at the same speed It goes without saying that it's difficult to convince someone you are part of their country when you don't know a word of Spanish.

We live in a very Spanish community and have started off being treated as outsiders. They wait for you to make the first move, which we did. We are now accepted by our neighbours who are now incredibly friendly and kind to us.

Good luck to all those making the move. Any questions you may have send us a PM.

Post new Message to Thread