over a year ago

chelmsford

"Look like they have "

Yep

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Does this include Majorca or just the mainland?

By *eddy and legs OP   Couple
over a year ago

the wetlands

Spain

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Does this include Majorca or just the mainland?"

At the moment it’s just Westminster that’s going to announce it but wee nippy makes the rules up here so it doesn’t apply to us just yet

By *DandKCCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

does that include Gran Canaria?

over a year ago

"does that include Gran Canaria?

"

If it’s in Spain the yes lol

By *DandKCCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

If it’s in Spain the yes lol "

is that a guess on your part

the gov web site only.covers mainland Spain nothing about Spanish owned islands

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

If it’s in Spain the yes lol "

It is not in Spain so should be ok for now.

over a year ago

I haven’t seen anywhere saying the islands are exempt. We are off to Tenerife in the morning and as far as we are reading it we expect to have to quarantine as Tenerife is Spain, mainland or not

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

"I haven’t seen anywhere saying the islands are exempt. We are off to Tenerife in the morning and as far as we are reading it we expect to have to quarantine as Tenerife is Spain, mainland or not "

Bottom line is it's up to you to self-isolate if you return from Spain.

Will you be returning from Spain? No! You will be returning from Tenerife!

over a year ago

"I haven’t seen anywhere saying the islands are exempt. We are off to Tenerife in the morning and as far as we are reading it we expect to have to quarantine as Tenerife is Spain, mainland or not

Will you be returning from Spain? No! You will be returning from Tenerife!"

Tenerife is in Spain. People can make up the rules to suit themselves all they want but the islands are part of Spain.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"I haven’t seen anywhere saying the islands are exempt. We are off to Tenerife in the morning and as far as we are reading it we expect to have to quarantine as Tenerife is Spain, mainland or not

Will you be returning from Spain? No! You will be returning from Tenerife!

Tenerife is in Spain. People can make up the rules to suit themselves all they want but the islands are part of Spain."

over a year ago

Hopefully it’s just mainland and not the islands.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"Hopefully it’s just mainland and not the islands."

It would seem unfair to include the Canaries given their low covid rates.

over a year ago

"Hopefully it’s just mainland and not the islands.

It would seem unfair to include the Canaries given their low covid rates. "

Unfortunately I think it would just add confusion if they started picking parts that you are allowed to travel to and from. It won’t change anything for us we’ll still go and have a good time and worry about coming back when it’s time to come back.

over a year ago

It includes Canaries and Balearics.

Can this restriction be lifted at anytime or will it still be in place in Oct/Nov ?

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

We've just seen this! We're off to PDI in three weeks.

over a year ago

Just my bloody luck , my company will not let me have four weeks off work , what happens now will my holiday be cancelled again ,

over a year ago

I’ve heard tui are cancelling all holidays to Spain and I don’t think jet2 will fly there either

By *eforfuncplCouple
over a year ago

Morecambe

Gutted ! Was going to Spain next Saturday!!

over a year ago

"Just my bloody luck , my company will not let me have four weeks off work , what happens now will my holiday be cancelled again , "

One of my employees booked on Tuesday to fly out today as he thought the quarantine was lifted. Not sure how I’ll sort it when he’s back.

Could always put him back on furlough for 3 weeks and give him 80% of his wage until his quarantine is over.

By *k2nkCouple
over a year ago

livingston

Still going next week

By *DandKCCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

work can t cancel your holiday, 14 days self isolation is covered by statutory sick pay

over a year ago

Hopefully by September they will be open again with no quarantine

over a year ago

I’ve just checked and travel insurance is now void for COVID 19 since travel to Spain from midnight tonight is against govt, guidelines.

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

"I’ve heard tui are cancelling all holidays to Spain and I don’t think jet2 will fly there either"

Tui have said a few weeks ago that they'll do this if there's a quarrentine requirement at either end of the flight. Which is good if you can't take extra time off work after the holiday.

By *live and PopeyesCouple
over a year ago

Caerphilly

It’s spain ???? the islands belong to Spain

over a year ago

"work can t cancel your holiday, 14 days self isolation is covered by statutory sick pay"

Statutory sick pay is something like £100 a week.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"It’s spain ???? the islands belong to Spain "

Most people do know that! But it's not unreasonable to question the details considering local/regional lockdowns occur within most countries.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

"Does this include Majorca or just the mainland?

At the moment it’s just Westminster that’s going to announce it but wee nippy makes the rules up here so it doesn’t apply to us just yet "

has just scrolled across the bottom of the screen on bbc that scotland are putting querentine back in place

over a year ago

The islands are included in the 14 day quarantine

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/07/20 20:34:37]

By *wingerstenerifeCouple
over a year ago

San Eugenio, Costa Adeje, Tenerife

Gov.UK WEBSITE ADVICE FOR SPAIN. CANARY ISLANDS ARE EXEMPT AND QUARANTINE FROM MAINLAND SPAIN

Still current at:

25 July 2020

Updated:

25 July 2020

Latest update:

Update to advise against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain ('Summary').

From 25 July, the FCO advises against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Only the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa) and Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera) are exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. The FCO is not advising those already travelling in Spain to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. If you are returning from mainland Spain after 25 July you will be required to quarantine on your return to the UK, but the FCO is not advising you to cut short your visit. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey.

over a year ago

FCO Page it’s main land only. None of the island are included

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/07/20 20:35:35]

over a year ago

the wetlands

Spain removed from travel corridors exemption list

If you arrive in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland from Spain on or after 26 July 2020 you will need to self-isolate.

Published 25 July 2020

Department for Transport and Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Federico García Lorca Airport, Granada, Spain

Spain no longer on travel corridor list, travellers arriving into England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from Spain from midnight tonight will need to self-isolate

people already in Spain can stay for the remainder of their holiday and will have to self-isolate upon return

FCO now advising against all but essential travel to mainland Spain

People returning to the UK from Spain (including islands) from midnight tonight (25 July 2020) will need to self-isolate for 2 weeks, with the country removed from the travel corridors list.

Following a significant change over the last week in both the level and pace of change in confirmed cases, Spain has been removed from the list of countries where people do not have to self-isolate when arriving into to the UK.

People currently on holiday in Spain are encouraged to follow the local rules, return home as normal and check the FCO’s travel advice pages on GOV.UK for further information.

FCO is advising against all but essential travel to mainland Spain – this does not cover the Canary Islands or the Balearic Islands because travel advice is based on the risk to the individual traveller and COVID-19 infection rates are lower there than mainland Spain.

People will still need to self-isolate when returning from anywhere in Spain as well as the Canary and Balearic Islands because self-isolation arrangements are put in place on the basis of risk to the UK as a whole.

A government spokesperson said:

The Joint Biosecurity Centre together with Public Health England have updated their coronavirus assessments of Spain based on the latest data. As a result, Spain has been removed from the lists of countries from which passengers arriving in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are exempted from the need to self-isolate.

Protecting public health is our absolute priority and we have taken this decision to limit any potential spread to the UK.

We’ve always been clear that we would act immediately to remove a country where necessary. Both our list of quarantine exemptions and the FCO travel advice are being updated to reflect these latest risk assessments.

Changes to the exemption for people returning from Spain will take effect from midnight tonight, meaning anyone returning from midnight tonight will have to self-isolate.

The government has made consistently clear it will take decisive action if necessary to contain the virus, including if the public health risk of people returning from a particular country and not self-isolating becomes too high.

The devolved administrations have all taken the same decision today, so travellers arriving from Spain into all parts of the UK will need to self-isolate.

The government is urging employers to be understanding of those returning from Spain who now will need to self-isolate

over a year ago

"FCO Page it’s main land only. None of the island are included "

I thought that aswell, but unfortunately islands have been included in 14 day quarantine. It’s on the gov.uk website

over a year ago

"FCO Page it’s main land only. None of the island are included

I thought that aswell, but unfortunately islands have been included in 14 day quarantine. It’s on the gov.uk website "

Yes correct it’s all of Spain and islands

over a year ago

"Gov.UK WEBSITE ADVICE FOR SPAIN. CANARY ISLANDS ARE EXEMPT AND QUARANTINE FROM MAINLAND SPAIN

Still current at:

25 July 2020

Updated:

25 July 2020

Latest update:

Update to advise against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain ('Summary').

From 25 July, the FCO advises against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Only the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa) and Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera) are exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. The FCO is not advising those already travelling in Spain to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. If you are returning from mainland Spain after 25 July you will be required to quarantine on your return to the UK, but the FCO is not advising you to cut short your visit. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey.

"

Can you post the link for this? I can’t see it on the gov website

over a year ago

the wetlands

"Gov.UK WEBSITE ADVICE FOR SPAIN. CANARY ISLANDS ARE EXEMPT AND QUARANTINE FROM MAINLAND SPAIN

Still current at:

25 July 2020

Updated:

25 July 2020

Latest update:

Can you post the link for this? I can’t see it on the gov website "

No I got a ban for posting the gvt website but that is a direct cut and paste from the government website

over a year ago

"FCO Page it’s main land only. None of the island are included

I thought that aswell, but unfortunately islands have been included in 14 day quarantine. It’s on the gov.uk website "

Uk government site says main land only.

over a year ago

Here is script from gov

Still current at:Update to advise against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain ('Summary').

From 26 July, the FCO advises against all non-essential travel to mainland Spain based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Only the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa) and Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, and Formentera) are exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel.

This advice is based on evidence of increases in cases of COVID-19 in several regions, but particularly in Aragon, Navarra and Catalonia (which include the cities of Zaragoza, Pamplona and Barcelona).

The FCO is not advising those already travelling in Spain to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. If you are returning from Spain (including from the Balearics and Canaries) on or after 26 July you will be required to quarantine on your return to the UK, but the FCO is not advising you to cut short your visit. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey.

PHE are continuing to monitor the situation in the Balearic and Canary Islands closely. Travellers there should continue to check this advice regularly.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

We got there in the end!

By *rowneyes382434ukCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

Can travel to Gran canaria but have to isolate for 2 weeks main land Spain no travel unless essential travel BBC update

over a year ago

the wetlands

"Does this include Majorca or just the mainland?

At the moment it’s just Westminster that’s going to announce it but wee nippy makes the rules up here so it doesn’t apply to us just yet

has just scrolled across the bottom of the screen on bbc that scotland are putting querentine back in place"

Nippy was overridden by the FCO it applies TO ALL the UK

By *lamourpussyCouple
over a year ago

Barmouth

Apparently the Balearic Government are appealing the decision with the UK government as the infection rate there is very low so the is some hope for those going there.

By *himp_KittenCouple
over a year ago

Preston

There's talk of regional air bridges, so while Spain maybe on the red list, the islands could be exempt.

It's something being discussed to allow travel to certain parts of Portugal and the states.

over a year ago

the wetlands

"There's talk of regional air bridges, so while Spain maybe on the red list, the islands could be exempt.

It's something being discussed to allow travel to certain parts of Portugal and the states.

"

The Azores and Madeira are exempt Portugal isn't.

By *S_CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Near Leeds

Mainland Spain you can’t travel to for all but essential travel and then quarantine for 14 days.

Canary and Balearic Islands you can go to but you’ll still have to quarantine for 14 days.

By *SCouple81Couple
over a year ago

Between Edinburgh and Scottish Borders

We have landed just before midnight and border agency told us that we were lucky, but passangers from plane landing 30 minutes later would need to quarantine.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Nothing stopping people flying to Gibraltar, crossing the border then flying back from Gibraltar and not needing to isolate

By *urfdudeMan
over a year ago

WEXFORD

"Nothing stopping people flying to Gibraltar, crossing the border then flying back from Gibraltar and not needing to isolate"

Thats not very responsible !

By *idsguy4funMan
over a year ago

Kidderminster

"Nothing stopping people flying to Gibraltar, crossing the border then flying back from Gibraltar and not needing to isolate"

Not very well thought through! You would have to isolate after leaving Spain! So you would prefer to isolate in Gibraltar before returning home??

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Nothing stopping people flying to Gibraltar, crossing the border then flying back from Gibraltar and not needing to isolate

Not very well thought through! You would have to isolate after leaving Spain! So you would prefer to isolate in Gibraltar before returning home??"

But you don't have to isolate crossing from Spain to Gibraltar so my point is how will they police that

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

How do they police this quarantine? People should do the right thing, but I wonder how many won't.

over a year ago

the wetlands

"Mainland Spain you can’t travel to for all but essential travel and then quarantine for 14 days.

Canary and Balearic Islands you can go to but you’ll still have to quarantine for 14 days."

That's what I said, yes

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Mainland Spain you can’t travel to for all but essential travel and then quarantine for 14 days.

Canary and Balearic Islands you can go to but you’ll still have to quarantine for 14 days.

That's what I said, yes"

over a year ago

That's what I said, yes"

For now........

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Let's hope Spain and the islands don't reciprocate and enforce quarantine at their end....

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

Well haha to those who rushed out on holiday, 14 days unpaid leave for you, serves you right! Ok so I am only jealous but this was always the risk I will be staying in the UK this year, spending disposable income here, supporting our national economy and will still have a great time

Can’t see much point to the quarantine announcement though. A large proportion of those with the mindset to rush out of the country on a flight will not be the type willing to adhere to self-isolation! Realistically it isn’t going to be enforced, it serves as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"Let's hope Spain and the islands don't reciprocate and enforce quarantine at their end...."

Actually I hope they do, let’s support our own countries economic recovery first

By *andy2123Couple
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Flying to lanzarote on Tuesday. Not worried x

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

"Flying to lanzarote on Tuesday. Not worried x"

Not worried about what? Covid-19 or the 2 week quarrentine on your return?

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

Only way I can see it being policed is your name being added to a database and your employer then getting told that you're unable to work for 14 days, Won't stop people going out but less likely due to not getting paid for 2 weeks

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

I think peer pressure will probably play a part in policing. No one is going to go on holiday without anouncing it on social media first. So you can bet there will be someone taking an interest in how much you stay at home after

over a year ago

"Let's hope Spain and the islands don't reciprocate and enforce quarantine at their end....

Actually I hope they do, let’s support our own countries economic recovery first "

What people forget is airlines/airports play a big part in our economy is people in aviation loose their jobs then they won’t be going on holiday at home and then begins the snowball effect.

It’s crazy Westminster gives 2 weeks notice on face coverings yet 6 hours on a travel ban. The Islands shouldn’t be covered as they have been clear for some time now hopefully they’ll probably get added back on if the Spanish agree to controlling the mainland to Island connections.

over a year ago

the wetlands

Text message from jet2

Following the latest government advice regarding travel to the UK from Spain, we are advising customers to arrive for their flights as normal as we are continuing to operate our scheduled programme to the Balearics and the Canaries. Our usual terms and conditions apply. As always, please ensure you have the appropriate travel insurance before travelling. This is a fast-moving situation, and we are continuing to monitor the situation very closely. If anything changes, we ll be in touch. Thank you for your patience.

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

I thought Jet2 were cancelling holidays with a post-return quarrentine?

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

We ve booked from 22nd aug till 29th . Not sure what to do but friends in gran can and the uk have stated a petition on change dot org to get the quarantine lifted for Canaries and Balearic islands . Similar to the one the the Azores and Madeira have in Portugal.

Can put link on here but check it out the more who sign ?

over a year ago

the wetlands

"I thought Jet2 were cancelling holidays with a post-return quarrentine? "

They'll let people rebook but not refund that's what they told me before we booked and I have a transcript of the pbone call but were going anywayt

over a year ago

The Canary Islands is negotiating so that the United Kingdom excludes it from the recommendation not to travel .

Ángel Víctor Torres assures that they carry out "intense" diplomatic efforts to prevent the British measures from affecting the Canary Islands, and he has succeeded after intense diplomatic negotiations that the Government of the United Kingdom excludes The Canary Islands from the recommended not to travel to Spain due to the proliferation of Covid-19 coronavirus infections.

This was pointed out this Sunday by Ángel Víctor Torres, President of the Canary Islands Government. "The United Kingdom has taken the decision to recommend that citizens not visit Spain, but with intensive diplomatic efforts we have managed to keep the Canary Islands as well as the Balearic Islands out of that recommendation."

Torres explained that "we also have to achieve, and we are working hard on that, that tourists, people who come to the Canary Islands and return to the United Kingdom do not have to quarantine.

There is no sense that they have to quarantine, the Canary Islands have right now 5.8 positives per 100,000 inhabitants. We have less positives than most countries in Europe. We have less positives than the United Kingdom and therefore it makes no sense to have to force that quarantine. "

The Canary Island president assured that he is intensifying these diplomatic tasks and "we also ask for a safe air sanitary corridor between the United Kingdom and the safe countries and the Canary Islands."

We have asked the Government of Spain and the European Union to intensify surveillance and controls at airports. And I hope that these negotiations that we are having this weekend will bear fruit as soon as possible because logically it is essential for the Canary Islands.

We are a safe destination, we have good health parameters, the best in Europe, for those who want to be in our land and we hope that we can achieve this agreement, "concluded Ángel Víctor Torres.

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

We can hope

over a year ago

It’s very much looking like it will be pushed though. Hopefully a mini boost as well. With main land a no go area

over a year ago

the wetlands

"It’s very much looking like it will be pushed though. Hopefully a mini boost as well. With main land a no go area "

Hopefully see you then end of next week

over a year ago

Let’s hope Boris sees sense and gets rid of the two weeks quarantine for the islands , I’m going regardless I need a holiday

over a year ago

the wetlands

Somebody will challenge it

The FCO can either advise against essential travel or not.

Allowing travel and requiring quarantine isn't logical and is particularly unfair to the airlines as much as the passengers

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Heard they changed that today and you either go on the flight, pay to change the date or don’t go and your money is lost.

By *S_CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Near Leeds

If your travelling to Mainland Spain you can rebook free of charge, take a credit note or ask for a refund.

If your travelling to the Canary Islands or Balearic Islands then normal t&c’s apply so if you want to change then normal amendment costs apply.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"I thought Jet2 were cancelling holidays with a post-return quarrentine?

If your travelling to Mainland Spain you can rebook free of charge, take a credit note or ask for a refund.

If your travelling to the Canary Islands or Balearic Islands then normal t&c’s apply so if you want to change then normal amendment costs apply. "

Reboot free of charge... except that’s not true when you try to rebook it will be a more expensive flight, at least that is the case with Ryanair.

over a year ago

Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules "

Let's hope they do, it's ridiculous that they consider it safe to travel there, which it is, but then have to quarantine when we come back.

By *ookinginspainMan
over a year ago

bromsgrove

"Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules "
from what we hear on the mainland here..its the 'party' people filling pubs and discos around benidorm/alicante....that has caused the huge spike...a d in majorca..parts of magaluff have been closed.. and isnt ibiza a party island!!! Would be very suprised if anything comes of being excluded!!!!

over a year ago

the wetlands

"Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules from what we hear on the mainland here..its the 'party' people filling pubs and discos around benidorm/alicante....that has caused the huge spike...a d in majorca..parts of magaluff have been closed.. and isnt ibiza a party island!!! Would be very suprised if anything comes of being excluded!!!!"

It would hardly be surprising given that 17 people tested positive after a "house party" in Northern Ireland by sharing a karaoke mic last week

By *ABTenerifeMan
over a year ago

Santa Cruz Tenerife

"Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules from what we hear on the mainland here..its the 'party' people filling pubs and discos around benidorm/alicante....that has caused the huge spike...a d in majorca..parts of magaluff have been closed.. and isnt ibiza a party island!!! Would be very suprised if anything comes of being excluded!!!!

It would hardly be surprising given that 17 people tested positive after a "house party" in Northern Ireland by sharing a karaoke mic last week

"

My bet is that in less than two weeks time, that quarantine after visiting Spain has disappeared. At least Canary Islands.

It is only a polical issue so people dont talk about BJ.

Business is business and show must go on.

I don't think Spain is worst than the UK when we talk about Covid.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Headlines on BBC breakfast.Canary Islands and Balearics are negotiating with UK government to be excluded from the quarantine rules from what we hear on the mainland here..its the 'party' people filling pubs and discos around benidorm/alicante....that has caused the huge spike...a d in majorca..parts of magaluff have been closed.. and isnt ibiza a party island!!! Would be very suprised if anything comes of being excluded!!!!"

The "huge spike" is mostly in Catalonia and in particular the Barcelona area. The rest of the Costa's are hardly affected. Just odd cases here and there.

You do raise a valid point about the "party people" but I wouldn't want anyone to think that it is the Brits visiting Benidorm and the like.

Our experience a few days ago was that the usual party strip in Levante was as dead as a Dodo. Many places have not re-opened yet. There are very few British in town at all.

The old town restaurants were quite busy but the vast majority were Spanish in that area.

We also noticed that our hotel filled up on the Friday with small groups of younger Spanish weekenders. So maybe the big disco's just out of town filled up for the Friday and Saturday.

It has also been reported on Spanish TV that the majority of new infections are in teens and 20's.

From what I read and hear that seems to be the root of the problem. Not the British.

By *ookinginspainMan
over a year ago

bromsgrove

Yep...we didnt point just at the brits..we did say party people!!!! ..But youngish folk tend to congregate in same places!!!!

By *tokie62Man
over a year ago

stoke-on-trent

bullshit it was the nightclubs in barcelona which have caused the spike the young spanish have been cramming into nightclubs. nothing to do with britts in benidorm or anywhere else.

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman
over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

"bullshit it was the nightclubs in barcelona which have caused the spike the young spanish have been cramming into nightclubs. nothing to do with britts in benidorm or anywhere else."

Exactly. Most cases in northern Spain, nothing here in Benidorm. A couple of cases in alfaz relating to the Pakistani cricket club playing there and one bar there too where one of the staff were suspected. Both her and her husband actually negative but they had closed the bar immediately to get tested and sanitise the place.

By *fweonlymeettwiceMan
over a year ago

Madrid

Am I right in saying its the Spanish holidays soon, so maybe our government are thinking about the potential impact this could have if people from the areas where the virus is starting to course for concern going on holiday to the holiday resorts and mixing with foreign holiday makers

over a year ago

the wetlands

"Am I right in saying its the Spanish holidays soon, so maybe our government are thinking about the potential impact this could have if people from the areas where the virus is starting to course for concern going on holiday to the holiday resorts and mixing with foreign holiday makers "

You would be crediting the UK government with some intelligence, so probably not.

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman
over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

You beat me to it!!

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Just watching news, government now advising against all non essential travel to Canary and Balearic islands....ouch...

By *parkybunnyCouple
over a year ago

Zurich. NOT London.

"Just watching news, government now advising against all non essential travel to Canary and Balearic islands....ouch..."

Yep... Loads more flights cancelled.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/breaking-fco-advises-against-non-22425226

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Just watching news, government now advising against all non essential travel to Canary and Balearic islands....ouch...

Yep... Loads more flights cancelled.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/breaking-fco-advises-against-non-22425226"

Crazy nightmare...

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

Great....

over a year ago

We're hoping this changes, we fly in 6 weeks x

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

Fingers crossed! We're meant to be off in 3. Unless this gets lifted in 2 weeks I think we're out of luck.

By *ingerjo_leeCouple
over a year ago

swinton

We are really pissed off only booked last Mon to go 8th August

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Hope we can still go the 24th sept

By *azer6Couple
over a year ago

Almeria

As far as I was aware the number of cases in the Canaries and Balearics was still ridiculously low compared. I really don't understand that decision??

over a year ago

"As far as I was aware the number of cases in the Canaries and Balearics was still ridiculously low compared. I really don't understand that decision??"

Politics

By *S_CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Near Leeds

"Just watching news, government now advising against all non essential travel to Canary and Balearic islands....ouch..."

Bad times - so harmful for the industry

By *he_tykiesCouple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire & Vera Playa,Spain.

[Removed by poster at 27/07/20 22:21:43]

By *ncubus1976Man
over a year ago

Fuerteventura/Gran Canaria

"As far as I was aware the number of cases in the Canaries and Balearics was still ridiculously low compared. I really don't understand that decision??"

Totally agree... I’m living in Fuerteventura. No deceased from mid June in the Canary Islands. Only 160 active cases in the islands and almost all are imported cases (illegal immigrants controles and in quarantine). I just want to say we, both countries, are governed by very fool people, total cretins.... I can’t understand why these damned politics act in sush way... touristic businesses are about to bankruptcy. The epidemic here is ridiculous.

By *obc123Man
over a year ago

NW

In defence of the government (not often I will say that…),

Although they have been mainly in Barcelona, Zaragoza, Madrid and the Basque Country, there are now over 300 outbreaks and rising, during which time people have been travelling freely around Spain. For example, the football team from Fuenlabrada (near Madrid) arrived in A Coruña (in Galicia) with over a dozen covid positive players and staff. Remember that Spanish people visit the islands too; whether to work, visit family or to go on holiday themselves.

The situation can change rapidly, as we saw in March, and we’ll just have to see what the next few days show us.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"In defence of the government (not often I will say that…),

Although they have been mainly in Barcelona, Zaragoza, Madrid and the Basque Country, there are now over 300 outbreaks and rising, during which time people have been travelling freely around Spain. For example, the football team from Fuenlabrada (near Madrid) arrived in A Coruña (in Galicia) with over a dozen covid positive players and staff. Remember that Spanish people visit the islands too; whether to work, visit family or to go on holiday themselves.

The situation can change rapidly, as we saw in March, and we’ll just have to see what the next few days show us."

That is the problem that the Spanish authorities have to solve.

While the outbreaks on the Costa's are few and far between, Spaniards can jump into the car and pretty much go where they like.

It only takes a group of infected youngsters (who quite often show no symptoms) from say Zaragoza to drive down to Benidorm for a long weekend and the result could be catastrophic.

Also (as someone has already mentioned) the main Spanish holiday season kicks off in earnest from this week, and traditionally they head down to the Costa's in droves for the whole of August.

over a year ago

the wetlands

The situation can change rapidly, as we saw in March, and we’ll just have to see what the next few days show us.

While the outbreaks on the Costa's are few and far between, Spaniards can jump into the car and pretty much go where they like.

It only takes a group of infected youngsters (who quite often show no symptoms) from say Zaragoza to drive down to Benidorm for a long weekend and the result could be catastrophic.

Also (as someone has already mentioned) the main Spanish holiday season kicks off in earnest from this week, and traditionally they head down to the Costa's in droves for the whole of August.

"

Absolutely correct

However

They can drive to any other part of mainland Europe and then in to the UK if they wish.

They can't drive to the canaries and balearics though .....

By *parkybunnyCouple
over a year ago

Zurich. NOT London.

Absolutely correct

However

They can drive to any other part of mainland Europe and then in to the UK if they wish.

They can't drive to the canaries and balearics though ....."

Unless they get the ferry...

over a year ago

the wetlands

Absolutely correct

However

They can't drive to the canaries and balearics though .....

Unless they get the ferry..."

Not a terribly popular option to the canaries

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

This is essentially like there being an outbreak in Glasgow and Spain preventing travel to the Channel Islands.

over a year ago

the wetlands

"This is essentially like there being an outbreak in Glasgow and Spain preventing travel to the Channel Islands. "

I don't think anyone can travel to the channel islands without quarantine except from IOM

over a year ago

SPAINS FOREIGN SECRETARY EXPECTS LONDON NEGOTIATIONS TO HAVE POSITIVE OUTCOME

2020/07/28 08:59:21 Written by Canarian Weekly National

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Arancha González Laya, trusts that after the meeting held yesterday by Spanish and British expert epidemiologists, all the efforts made by our country in the face of the quarantine imposed by the British Government on those who visit Spain, "will bear fruit soon."

"Our dialogue is continuing and I have faith in the fact that the solidity of the Spanish data and explanations will have a positiveoutcome," she said.

González Laya recalled that, since last Saturday, when the UK announced the quarantine and the recommendation not to travel to Spain, excluding the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, the Spanish Government began to work immediately to "clarify the epidemiological data" that, she stressed, "is always the basis on which any limiting measures are taken."

Spain have explained all the preventive measures to the British authorities, that are being adopted in its territory: traceability of contacts, isolation of the sick, and "hard and effective measures of social distancing", in the minister's words.

"We did it on behalf of the Government of Spain for the entire territory of Spain, understanding that there are two areas that have a specificity, which are insular, and showing data from the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, two regions that, in particular, are far below British figures".

In this context, she said she was confident that the "solidity of the data and explanations" provided by Spain in the meeting, that has taken place between epidemiologists from the two countries, "will bear fruit soon," while making it clear that the bilateral dialogue between the two countries remains open.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Good news!

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

This is promising!

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Don't think Boris is going to budge...

By *reenleavesCouple
over a year ago

North Wales

If Spain have provided solid data to support the reopening of the air bridges to the islands then Boris will have a lot of explaining to do to the tour operators and airlines if he doesn't. This holiday season is probably their last shot at keeping afloat financially after lockdown.

over a year ago

The petition on change dot org is going well towards the 100,000 required to raise the debate against it in the House of Commons! Just wondering if people on flights coming in from Gibraltar will be liable to quarantine, but not sure what measures they have on the Spanish/UK border???...food for thought!!

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Don't think Boris is going to budge..."

Looks like he is sticking to his guns....

By *parkybunnyCouple
over a year ago

Zurich. NOT London.

It was mentioned in the house of lords earlier that localised air bridges are being considered. Reported by sky news.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"It was mentioned in the house of lords earlier that localised air bridges are being considered. Reported by sky news."

We'll have to wait and see

By *ncubus1976Man
over a year ago

Fuerteventura/Gran Canaria

Don’t think that the problem is only in Spain. Even you have highly worse data about pandemic in the uk than here at the Canary Islands... and other areas in mainland Spain. Boris distracting his own troubles?... Brits troubles?

over a year ago

the wetlands

Jet2 cancelled flights to mainland until 16/8 but islands to 8/8

over a year ago

It's because of August Spanish holiday season. Traditional they go South and the islands 4 weeks in August.Thats why Balearic and Canaries included

By *elly39devonCouple
over a year ago

tavistock

I dont think it is covered by sick pay but might be wrong

By *andy2123Couple
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Flying to lanzarote on Tuesday. Not worried x

Not worried about what? Covid-19 or the 2 week quarrentine on your return? "

Nothing here, and not bothered about the two weeks, been doing that since it started, so no problem to us.

By *k2nkCouple
over a year ago

livingston

Our two week quarantine after coming home from Gran Canaria has now ended. We were not met by anybody at the airport ( there was no customs there either) and have had no contact from anybody to check if we were actually quarantining.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Our two week quarantine after coming home from Gran Canaria has now ended. We were not met by anybody at the airport ( there was no customs there either) and have had no contact from anybody to check if we were actually quarantining."

At least you done your quarantine

By *oeaitkenMan
over a year ago

kirkintilloch

my quarrantine ends Saturday. only thing is will have to endure again. flying out to Costa del sol again in 4 weeks.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"my quarrantine ends Saturday. only thing is will have to endure again. flying out to Costa del sol again in 4 weeks.

"

Maybe it will be lifted by then.

over a year ago

the wetlands

"and have had no contact from anybody to check if we were actually quarantining."

Not that you're aware of

By *oeaitkenMan
over a year ago

kirkintilloch

I so hope so. Got a few weeks in Tenerife in December as well

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Hope things work out for you