Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Edinburgh / Glenrothes

Jump to newest

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

Burgess Hill & Birmingham

Will be up in Scotland for the first time in a few months for a wedding. Planning in having a long weekend there. I'll have a day in Edinburgh first before moving onto Glenrothes where the wedding is taking place.

Any tips on things to do in Edinburgh & Glenrothes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm sure I read that Glenrothes is closed

requires a deep clean (sanitized)

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"Will be up in Scotland for the first time in a few months for a wedding. Planning in having a long weekend there. I'll have a day in Edinburgh first before moving onto Glenrothes where the wedding is taking place.

Any tips on things to do in Edinburgh & Glenrothes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. "

What sort of things are you interested in doing?

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

"Will be up in Scotland for the first time in a few months for a wedding. Planning in having a long weekend there. I'll have a day in Edinburgh first before moving onto Glenrothes where the wedding is taking place.

Thanks in advance.

What sort of things are you interested in doing?"

Anything and everything. I don't think I'll be back up in the area for a while so I'll try and fit a lot of stuff in if possible. Early flight in on the Friday. Late flight on the Sunday.

So all the sights sounds possible. A few greasy spoons and some food that is a local secret.

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

If you only really have a day to see the sights in Edinburgh then you might be best off taking the hop on hop off bus.

Alternatively if you prefer walking you could start up at the castle and head down the royal mile to Holyrood palace and the Scottish parliament. You'll see most of what is worth seeing that way and it's a straight one mile route (yes, the royal mile).

You could take a short detour down to Grassmarket and Cowgate or do that on the way back up from Holyrood palace. Holyrood Palace sits adjacent to Holyrood Park which is where you'll find our extinct volcano occupying the skyline. It's a lovely park if you like scenery.

Lastly if you have time, a walk up Calton Hill gives good views. You might also want to go to a the gardens on princes street.

I lived for a short while in Glenrothes but there is nothing memorable there to mention (they do have an awful lot of roundabouts for a small place though!)

Not far from Glenrothes you can find the secret bunker which could be worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing.

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

"If you only really have a day to see the sights in Edinburgh then you might be best off taking the hop on hop off bus.

Alternatively if you prefer walking you could start up at the castle and head down the royal mile to Holyrood palace and the Scottish parliament. You'll see most of what is worth seeing that way and it's a straight one mile route (yes, the royal mile).

You could take a short detour down to Grassmarket and Cowgate or do that on the way back up from Holyrood palace. Holyrood Palace sits adjacent to Holyrood Park which is where you'll find our extinct volcano occupying the skyline. It's a lovely park if you like scenery.

Lastly if you have time, a walk up Calton Hill gives good views. You might also want to go to a the gardens on princes street.

I lived for a short while in Glenrothes but there is nothing memorable there to mention (they do have an awful lot of roundabouts for a small place though!)

Not far from Glenrothes you can find the secret bunker which could be worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing. "

Thanks for the information. Might to have a long weekend including Friday and Monday and fit that all in. I'll try and spend as much time exploring Edinburgh and use Glenrothes to chill

By *ilf n filfCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

What dates are you coming up to Scotland?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Are you sure the Wedding is in Glenrothes, only place I can think for a wedding would be Markinch, Balbirnie House Hotel, a very nice venue

you do have the Golden Acorn in Glenrothes but its not as nice a venue

anyway, enjoy your wedding

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/03/20 22:07:54]

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

"What dates are you coming up to Scotland?"

Most likely 22nd - 25th May just waiting for work to confirm as we've gone into contingency mode due to the potential impact of the coronavirus.

By *emptd2 OP   Man
over a year ago

"Are you sure the Wedding is in Glenrothes, only place I can think for a wedding would be Markinch, Balbirnie House Hotel, a very nice venue

you do have the Golden Acorn in Glenrothes but its not as nice a venue

anyway, enjoy your wedding"

Correct the wedding is at Balbirnie House.

I'm looking at staying in Glenrothes as it's nearby and not too expensive compared to other options in the vicinity of the wedding venue.

Post new Message to Thread