Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Driving in snow

Jump to newest

By *ade and Vanessa OP   Couple
over a year ago

Central Scotland

Do people not learn how to drive in snow or do they encounter a flurry of the white stuff and become a numpty?

5 minute drive home from dropping a friend in town (Stirling) and I drove past an accident and had the car in front of me pull a decent skid on a roundabout.

Just needed to rant.

Anyone else?

V x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I prefer driving in snow than really heavy rain.. But I agree some people don't have a clue... The one that really annoys me is people coming down hill not giving way to those trying to go up hill.. Drive to the conditions, look ahead so you can slow down and stop safely, if you're going downhill you will be able to move again.. If the person going uphill stops it's highly unlikely or at least extremely difficult for them to get going again.

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"I prefer driving in snow than really heavy rain.. But I agree some people don't have a clue... The one that really annoys me is people coming down hill not giving way to those trying to go up hill.. Drive to the conditions, look ahead so you can slow down and stop safely, if you're going downhill you will be able to move again.. If the person going uphill stops it's highly unlikely or at least extremely difficult for them to get going again. "

Exactly! Take your time and a bit of forward planning and it's all good

over a year ago

I remember years ago driving to Newcastle it took me 8 hours because of the snow.. I was on the inside lane of the motorway, I could only do twenty because of poor visibility. A couch went down the outside lane doing sixty.. I knew that was dangerous and sure enough about ten mile down the road the coach was on its side in a ditch.. He missed his exit and I guess tried to turn off at speed and....

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"I remember years ago driving to Newcastle it took me 8 hours because of the snow.. I was on the inside lane of the motorway, I could only do twenty because of poor visibility. A couch went down the outside lane doing sixty.. I knew that was dangerous and sure enough about ten mile down the road the coach was on its side in a ditch.. He missed his exit and I guess tried to turn off at speed and.... "

What happened to the matching chairs for the couch ?

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"I remember years ago driving to Newcastle it took me 8 hours because of the snow.. I was on the inside lane of the motorway, I could only do twenty because of poor visibility. A couch went down the outside lane doing sixty.. I knew that was dangerous and sure enough about ten mile down the road the coach was on its side in a ditch.. He missed his exit and I guess tried to turn off at speed and....

What happened to the matching chairs for the couch ? "

I was imagining someone sitting on it like a sledge

V x

over a year ago

"I remember years ago driving to Newcastle it took me 8 hours because of the snow.. I was on the inside lane of the motorway, I could only do twenty because of poor visibility. A couch went down the outside lane doing sixty.. I knew that was dangerous and sure enough about ten mile down the road the coach was on its side in a ditch.. He missed his exit and I guess tried to turn off at speed and.... "

Ohhh. Ffs. *Coach* ggrrrr

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"I remember years ago driving to Newcastle it took me 8 hours because of the snow.. I was on the inside lane of the motorway, I could only do twenty because of poor visibility. A couch went down the outside lane doing sixty.. I knew that was dangerous and sure enough about ten mile down the road the coach was on its side in a ditch.. He missed his exit and I guess tried to turn off at speed and....

Ohhh. Ffs. *Coach* ggrrrr"

That would be scary though

I miss wee citroën c1 when it snows. It was so light it was really easy to drive in this weather.

Wouldn't say no to a mitsubishi warrior about now though

over a year ago

I miss wee citroën c1 when it snows. It was so light it was really easy to drive in this weather.

Wouldn't say no to a mitsubishi warrior about now though "

I'd prefer a month in the Bahamas.. But hey.. Each to their own.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

No I learned to drive in 1990 and not in snow, sorry!

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I live on a hill and often struggle to drive up it.

I never drove in snow when I was learning to drive. People need to use some common sense and drive slower and leave more space between cars.

By *asterslittlewhoreCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Wouldn't say no to a mitsubishi warrior about now though "

My work has a warrior ive not had a go yet

V

over a year ago

V"

Plenty of room in the back?

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

It's unreal how bad people drive in snow or any wet weather. If you aren't confident to drive on it then get off the road. Those are the people that cause the accidents going too slow.

By *asterslittlewhoreCouple
over a year ago

Edinburgh

V

Plenty of room in the back? "

Oh yes

over a year ago

BMW gets ditched in snow and out comes the warrior

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"BMW gets ditched in snow and out comes the warrior "

Eek! Never a BMW in the snow!!

V x

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"I live on a hill and often struggle to drive up it.

I never drove in snow when I was learning to drive. People need to use some common sense and drive slower and leave more space between cars.

"

Exactly!!! Common sense!

V x

By *r Costa xxMan
over a year ago

stirling

Just driven home from Glasgow to Stirling, 3 separate accidents around Cumbernauld on motorway, usual spots, some people like to learn the hard way

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Tesco refuses to deliver my messages

By *r Costa xxMan
over a year ago

stirling

"Tesco refuses to deliver my messages "

Sounds like they need every little help

over a year ago

They obviously haven't seen you or they would never have refused to come to your house.

By *utdooryoneMan
over a year ago

Over there

The problem is some folk just won't learn... A colleague rear ended another car in the march snow. Apparently it was the other cars fault for stopping at the junction, not his for going so fast he wouldn't have stopped at the junction without smashing into a car while skidding... Plum.

over a year ago

Central Scotland

"Just driven home from Glasgow to Stirling, 3 separate accidents around Cumbernauld on motorway, usual spots, some people like to learn the hard way "

The m80 with snow hopefully it won't be as bad as previous years

over a year ago

Central Scotland

Oh no I was taking my friend in to town because her taxi cancelled on her!!! I get that staff need to be safe but it's not that bad! Hope they gave you an alternative time

V x

over a year ago

"Do people not learn how to drive in snow or do they encounter a flurry of the white stuff and become a numpty?

5 minute drive home from dropping a friend in town (Stirling) and I drove past an accident and had the car in front of me pull a decent skid on a roundabout.

Just needed to rant.

Anyone else?

V x"

He can't drive in the snow, we grind to a halt at the first sign. Been in the motor industry for best art of 25 years and it's ridiculous jut how poor our standard of driving is. The lessons are a joke ant the test is even worse so h

Yes I can sympathise and fully agree with you.

By *r Costa xxMan
over a year ago

stirling

"Just driven home from Glasgow to Stirling, 3 separate accidents around Cumbernauld on motorway, usual spots, some people like to learn the hard way

The m80 with snow hopefully it won't be as bad as previous years "

I remember spending 14 hours on the m80 at csstlecary arches, in my bmw grrr, 08:00 -22:00 with a plastic bottle to comfort me

By *ab timeWoman
over a year ago

Dundee

"Just driven home from Glasgow to Stirling, 3 separate accidents around Cumbernauld on motorway, usual spots, some people like to learn the hard way

I remember spending 14 hours on the m80 at csstlecary arches, in my bmw grrr, 08:00 -22:00 with a plastic bottle to comfort me "

That’s not so good

By *r Costa xxMan
over a year ago

stirling

I remember spending 14 hours on the m80 at csstlecary arches, in my bmw grrr, 08:00 -22:00 with a plastic bottle to comfort me

That’s not so good "

Always keep a little winter pack in the car since, though the chocolate does need topped up again too often

By *ab timeWoman
over a year ago

Dundee

That’s not so good

Always keep a little winter pack in the car since, though the chocolate does need topped up again too often "

Winter pack is a good idea

By *erriAnneTV/TS
over a year ago

The shire

Drove back up from Sunderland tonight and the A1 is treacherous. Still had people overtaking on the single lane areas. Was down to 5mph at some places and sliding all over the place

By *lyingFoxMan
over a year ago

Lanark

We're a bit betwixt and between in most of Scotland in that we don't get snow regularly enough in winter to make changing to winter tyres a feasible idea for most people and our driving test covers nothing about driving in adverse conditions.

So it's roads full of people driving on summer tyres who haven't seen or driven in snow for 10 months suddenly having to adjust.

Thinking about it that way it's a miracle we handle it as well as we do.

Oh and rear wheel drive bmw in snow - Eeek!

over a year ago

Think its a law in parts of europe to have a change of tyres,to winter grip tyres.

I like that idea, a few less people stuck in the snow surely helps the whole road system, what advice do we get?

Yellow,amber warnings telling you when you might not get anywhere and just keep same tyres on and brave it.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Drove back up from Sunderland tonight and the A1 is treacherous. Still had people overtaking on the single lane areas. Was down to 5mph at some places and sliding all over the place "

5 mph no feckin wonder people were overtaking , im all for driving to conditions but you cant drive in snow at 5 mph, your car will build up even a small amount of snow in front of the drive wheels whether front or back wheel drive and stop , now your 5mph is zero mph, . Going too slow is just as bad as driving too fast. Just drove from livingston and all the traffic driving in lane 1 , again i see that as stupidity, if drivers use both lanes then both lanes keep snow lanes flat. If drivers use only 1 lane then traffick buulds up in 1 lane and guess what your back at 5 miles per hour. And as said earlier 5mph equals zero mph very quick. Dealing with hills up the way. Sit at bottom and wait till all the stupid drivers trying to wheelspin up the hill have given up or rolled back down. When road is clear boot it on the flat part leading to hill and trust me if you keep booting it after a run at it , you will make it up. Downhill easy 2nd gear minimal breaking. Last tip, find a large empty snow covered car park and go in and have some fun with your car. Throw it about in the snow, practice cornering and get a feel for how your car handles on snow at what speeds you start to lose control, try to do large circles at speed and learn how to opposite steer. It will vastly improve your snow driving and make you understand that snow is not scary but just another technique that can be mastered.

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I love driving in the snow set of all terrain winter wheels on and you are ready for fun

John

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"I love driving in the snow set of all terrain winter wheels on and you are ready for fun

John "

It is seriously fun totally agree.

over a year ago

You never "boot" it in snow as mentioned above but you do need momentum.

Just need to keep as much space as possible from other vehicles

over a year ago

i live in Cumbernauld, which often gets affected bad when it snows, so my last two vehicles have been 4x4s, prior to that i had a BMW, which was fun when we got the white stuff, bonus of the new 4x4 is it's a pathfinder 7 seater, which turns into a nice passion wagon when the rear seats are folded down.

By *erriAnneTV/TS
over a year ago

The shire

"Drove back up from Sunderland tonight and the A1 is treacherous. Still had people overtaking on the single lane areas. Was down to 5mph at some places and sliding all over the place

5 mph no feckin wonder people were overtaking , im all for driving to conditions but you cant drive in snow at 5 mph, your car will build up even a small amount of snow in front of the drive wheels whether front or back wheel drive and stop , now your 5mph is zero mph, . Going too slow is just as bad as driving too fast. Just drove from livingston and all the traffic driving in lane 1 , again i see that as stupidity, if drivers use both lanes then both lanes keep snow lanes flat. If drivers use only 1 lane then traffick buulds up in 1 lane and guess what your back at 5 miles per hour. And as said earlier 5mph equals zero mph very quick. Dealing with hills up the way. Sit at bottom and wait till all the stupid drivers trying to wheelspin up the hill have given up or rolled back down. When road is clear boot it on the flat part leading to hill and trust me if you keep booting it after a run at it , you will make it up. Downhill easy 2nd gear minimal breaking. Last tip, find a large empty snow covered car park and go in and have some fun with your car. Throw it about in the snow, practice cornering and get a feel for how your car handles on snow at what speeds you start to lose control, try to do large circles at speed and learn how to opposite steer. It will vastly improve your snow driving and make you understand that snow is not scary but just another technique that can be mastered. "

You'd be one of the idiot types that thinks it's fun to overtake in the snow and cause accidents for the sensible ones who are trying to drive to the conditions. It was down to 5mph for a little while as you literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of you but hey you're happy to boot it as you say. Anything over 30 and you literally had no control as was just sliding everywhere but like I said you'll be one of the idiot types. Let's hope nobody has an accident because of your recklessness eh???

By *eardyBikerMan
over a year ago

nr stonehaven

Certainly up here in Aberdeen I think folk buy fancy cars with all the gadgets and think that'll do all the work for them... 4x4 and traction control does not make you Colin McRae...still need the basic skills

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Drove back up from Sunderland tonight and the A1 is treacherous. Still had people overtaking on the single lane areas. Was down to 5mph at some places and sliding all over the place

5 mph no feckin wonder people were overtaking , im all for driving to conditions but you cant drive in snow at 5 mph, your car will build up even a small amount of snow in front of the drive wheels whether front or back wheel drive and stop , now your 5mph is zero mph, . Going too slow is just as bad as driving too fast. Just drove from livingston and all the traffic driving in lane 1 , again i see that as stupidity, if drivers use both lanes then both lanes keep snow lanes flat. If drivers use only 1 lane then traffick buulds up in 1 lane and guess what your back at 5 miles per hour. And as said earlier 5mph equals zero mph very quick. Dealing with hills up the way. Sit at bottom and wait till all the stupid drivers trying to wheelspin up the hill have given up or rolled back down. When road is clear boot it on the flat part leading to hill and trust me if you keep booting it after a run at it , you will make it up. Downhill easy 2nd gear minimal breaking. Last tip, find a large empty snow covered car park and go in and have some fun with your car. Throw it about in the snow, practice cornering and get a feel for how your car handles on snow at what speeds you start to lose control, try to do large circles at speed and learn how to opposite steer. It will vastly improve your snow driving and make you understand that snow is not scary but just another technique that can be mastered.

You'd be one of the idiot types that thinks it's fun to overtake in the snow and cause accidents for the sensible ones who are trying to drive to the conditions. It was down to 5mph for a little while as you literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of you but hey you're happy to boot it as you say. Anything over 30 and you literally had no control as was just sliding everywhere but like I said you'll be one of the idiot types. Let's hope nobody has an accident because of your recklessness eh???"

30 winters of being in a job that cannot be done without driving and still accident free on snow , my so called idiot driving cant be to bad i guess. Biggest problem is the drivers that dont know what there doing , we can agree to disagree on this one. Snow is predictable 5 mph on a predominantly straight road like the a1 is a problem and fully understand why people would overtake you. Maybe you should follow my car park advice and go get yourself a bit of practice on it instead of calling people idiots because they can drive on it.

By *elsbells2011Couple
over a year ago

fife

Got to admit I do have the urge at the first flurry of snow I’m usually like a kid at Christmas. Old Skool rear wheel drive car and plenty empty car parks. Can usually find me out playing somewhere. On serious note though I think knowing the behaviour of a car in the snow helps. Too many people panic when they get into a situation and end up making it worse by doing the wrong thing. If people knew the corrective action to take would be lot less accidents

By *elsbells2011Couple
over a year ago

fife

And just for record I wouldn’t consider myself as idiot type. We have a proper family car as well as my retro fun car. Family car gets skinny winter tyres from start of October till around april. How many self claimed responsible drivers are running around in summer tyres in 3 inches of snow. Believe me 5mph in summer tyres in the snow is far more dangerous than 30mph in proper winter spec skinny tyres. It’s all about preparation

over a year ago

People tend to drive too fast and too close to the car in front.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"People tend to drive too fast and too close to the car in front."

Speed is relevant to conditions and experience, driving to close is stupidity. Driving too slow is also a problem as is lack of confidence but does it stop them going out on it 'no' .

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"Tesco refuses to deliver my messages

Oh no I was taking my friend in to town because her taxi cancelled on her!!! I get that staff need to be safe but it's not that bad! Hope they gave you an alternative time

V x"

Nope, we had to chase them. So now we are getting our delivery 3 days late, they had to cancel our payment then have us pay again, then they informed us it will take 5 days to refund our cancelled payment.

over a year ago

"BMW gets ditched in snow and out comes the warrior

Eek! Never a BMW in the snow!!

V x"

Love it in summer but when gods white stuff falls it gets garaged !

By *dlilbumCouple
over a year ago

Aviemore and regularly visit Glasgow

Winter tyres should be compulsory in this country, they don’t just make a difference in snow, the compound performs much better in anything below 7c.

Unfortunately you guys down south don’t get enough snow to learn how to drive in it properly. Because we get a reasonable amount every winter up here people are experienced in driving in it and the majority fit winter tyres. We don’t tend to grind to a halt until the snow depth hits feet rather than inches.

D

D

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Decided to drive through Aberfoyle this weekend- bad idea when i suddenly encountered snow and before i knew it, my car ploughed to a sliding halt

By *utdooryoneMan
over a year ago

Over there

"Decided to drive through Aberfoyle this weekend- bad idea when i suddenly encountered snow and before i knew it, my car ploughed to a sliding halt "

But that's Aberfoyle. In the hills. On a day forecast for snow. And you went down a road that you got stuck on/up.

I wouldn't have gone there, and I've got winter tyres on a 4wd car. And I wouldn't have gone up a road until I got stuck.

That is maybe the winter driving being bemoaned on here...

By *amperguyMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I've got a 17year old landcruiser and love driving in the snow as it's very capable but only if driven with care .

Rescued half a dozen people last winter.

Post new Message to Thread