Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Scottish schools to teach about LGBT

Jump to newest

By *earded blossom OP   Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"It will become compulsory for state schools in Scotland to teach their pupils the history of LGBTI equality and the movements involved, as well as delving into homophobia and transphobia. They will also be exploring LGBTI identities, as ministers accepted the proposal, led by the Time for Inclusive Education (TIE) campaign"

Views? Good or bad? Apparently all state schools across Scotland but I've got a feeling it will be a select few

John

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *licker77Man
over a year ago

Stirling

Modern world teaching!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It is what it is.....a sign of the times.

over a year ago

If it helps kids from a young age that being curious/bi/gay isn't wrong then I'm all for it

My son who's 6 is always asking me 'what does gay mean?' And I'm openly honest with him when he's curious about words he hears from the tv or what he reads.

By *r Costa xxMan
over a year ago

stirling

Not a bad thing, children are already much more accepting of different sexual preferences than a few years back, the modern world has moved on a lot, kids hiding their personal preferences is reducing as a consequence, whether we agree or not I think the more information that is readily available then the more our kids are free to make their own choices!

over a year ago

As much as i think its the right thing to do.

I'm sad primary kids can't just be kids for that wee bit longer.

over a year ago

Of course it is a good idea. It will hopefully breed a future generation with open minds, and make Scotland a less judgemental country.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/11/18 21:19:33]

over a year ago

Wrote a big blurb then deleted it.

Not a bad idea at all. We've been open with our kids about sex and different sexualities since a young age.

Just present the facts in a simple manner. No sensationalization, no specific slant one way or another.

over a year ago

I think it's a good thing. Educate them about it while they're still young and they will grown up not being homophobic and accept people for who they are x

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I think it’s good but has to be done sensitively and staff need to be trained to answer the kids questions.

over a year ago

"I think it's a good thing. Educate them about it while they're still young and they will grown up not being homophobic and accept people for who they are x"

Grow x

over a year ago

"As much as i think its the right thing to do.

I'm sad primary kids can't just be kids for that wee bit longer."

yes I kind of agree with this.

By *ary_ArgyllMan
over a year ago

Argyll

Where does it say this will be in primary schools?

over a year ago

What we need to remember, is that with the connected world available to kids through any device they can lay their hands on, having some way of giving them the information in a controlled environment might prevent them getting the wrong message from somewhere else.

over a year ago

Bravo. My eight year old daughter often tells folks she might be a lesbian when she grows up, and has no quarms about same sex folk falling in love. Elsa has been married to sindy in this house for years x

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

""It will become compulsory for state schools in Scotland to teach their pupils the history of LGBTI equality and the movements involved, as well as delving into homophobia and transphobia. They will also be exploring LGBTI identities, as ministers accepted the proposal, led by the Time for Inclusive Education (TIE) campaign"

Views? Good or bad? Apparently all state schools across Scotland but I've got a feeling it will be a select few

John "

It won't be a select few it'll be all of em

So glad it's finally happened.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I think it’s good but has to be done sensitively and staff need to be trained to answer the kids questions. "

TIE campaign has been training teachers since the start, the teachers will know how to deal with it the training will be there

over a year ago

"I think it’s good but has to be done sensitively and staff need to be trained to answer the kids questions.

TIE campaign has been training teachers since the start, the teachers will know how to deal with it the training will be there

"

By *ikkevCouple
over a year ago

larkhall

my daughter's school is already very accepting with this as they have a group where they can go and is a safe place to chat and feel they are not alone

last year I she had me make loads of rainbow cupcakes and stuff for the bake sale they had in the school aswell

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Hate if you please but this has no place in schooling imo

over a year ago

""It will become compulsory for state schools in Scotland to teach their pupils the history of LGBTI equality and the movements involved, as well as delving into homophobia and transphobia. They will also be exploring LGBTI identities, as ministers accepted the proposal, led by the Time for Inclusive Education (TIE) campaign"

John "

I’m all for it.

over a year ago

"Hate if you please but this has no place in schooling imo"

Why not?

over a year ago

My boys primary has just got their first transgender child. In primary 1! Don't think there's any way of avoiding it all tbh

over a year ago

No hate here at all. Can I ask why though?

over a year ago

I dont know about this. Yeah it'll be good to make people more accepting but primary school age, there's really no need for it

By *erriAnneTV/TS
over a year ago

The shire

No issue with this at all. As long as they start instilling morals and a work ethic into kids. Also I'd like them to put an end to this snowflake generation who get offended at everything.

By *ringles0510Woman
over a year ago

Central Borders

Every person is different, whether it be their religion, a disability, colour of skin, or sexuality. I think it's a shame they feel the need it has to be taught in primary schools to be "normal", it's part of life and should just be accepted (I know.... maybe one day though).

Smaller children don't make a fuss about these things. They will accept a person, no matter what they look like or believe in. I believe it's older kids and adults that will indoctrinate the stereotyping and discrimination. Doesn't matter what these kids are taught, it'll be their roll models who lead by example x

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Probably prefer it if they tackled a hard problem like sectarianism in Scotland first...but then again that's a hard one with no brownie points.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/11/18 09:03:39]

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

"Every person is different, whether it be their religion, a disability, colour of skin, or sexuality. I think it's a shame they feel the need it has to be taught in primary schools to be "normal", it's part of life and should just be accepted (I know.... maybe one day though).

Smaller children don't make a fuss about these things. They will accept a person, no matter what they look like or believe in. I believe it's older kids and adults that will indoctrinate the stereotyping and discrimination. Doesn't matter what these kids are taught, it'll be their roll models who lead by example x"

You are correct intolerance is educated into a young mind, usually by family members.

No one is born with hate as a personality trait x

By *ringles0510Woman
over a year ago

Central Borders

"Every person is different, whether it be their religion, a disability, colour of skin, or sexuality. I think it's a shame they feel the need it has to be taught in primary schools to be "normal", it's part of life and should just be accepted (I know.... maybe one day though).

Smaller children don't make a fuss about these things. They will accept a person, no matter what they look like or believe in. I believe it's older kids and adults that will indoctrinate the stereotyping and discrimination. Doesn't matter what these kids are taught, it'll be their roll models who lead by example x

You are correct intolerance is educated into a young mind, usually by family members.

No one is born with hate as a personality trait x"

Yeah, that was what I meant in a nut shell x

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

I would rather my children were taught meaningful things if my children want/Need to know anything about sex/sexuality that's down to me as a parent.

Imo the western world is overly sensitive and it seems want everyone spoonfed what is right and wrong in someone else's opinion.

I want my kids to live life and make there own calls.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Just a background character

Yeah, that was what I meant in a nut shell x"

Beat me to it as well. Prejudice begins at home whether it's sex, religion, culture.

Anything that expands the young minds about diversity is a good thing.

over a year ago

Growing up queer in school was hard. I was bullied constantly, even before I'd come out to myself I was spat on and called a dyke. I didn't get to explore my sexuality the way that others did - I was terrified. Later,I was in bad relationship after bad relationship because I thought it was all I deserved.

If it helps people grow up to be more understanding, tolerant and accepting of others it can only be a good thing.

By *ecuricasaMan
over a year ago

Banterville

I agree right that if u wanna be gay or bi or whatever that's fine couldn't give two fucks about someone's sexual preference but don't teach it from p1 let kids stay kids yes if they ask be open and honest but don't teach them fully till like p6 jusy my opinion to keep kids kids for a while but what about like catholic schools or religious people who's beliefs say it's wrong how do we tackle them

over a year ago

My work has a monthly magazine, years ago they started producing one for the lgb employees, whilst in the company of one of the straight girls who campaigns fiercely for gay and equal rights for all in the workplace, I said to her I wanted to subscribe to the lgb mag, she told me no because I'm not gay or bi, I said I wanted to subscribe though, she got a bit snippy with me about it, so I said, do the gay, bi guys get the "normal" magazine? Yes she said, ok then where's the equality in that then, I'm being singled out and shunned for a mag because I'm not gay or bi, maybe I want to keep up to date and educated about what's going on with all employees, she became really angry and walked away, moral of the story, worlds full of arseholes

over a year ago

If we can teach kids about a imaginary people then we should be teaching them about how really people are different in their own special ways

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Yeah, that was what I meant in a nut shell x"

You guys are right of course but would still think it's important to

teach "inclusion" while the are in their formative years so that later

on in life when they are forming their own opinions and ideas about

life and whats right and wrong, it's already in there

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

"Growing up queer in school was hard. I was bullied constantly, even before I'd come out to myself I was spat on and called a dyke. I didn't get to explore my sexuality the way that others did - I was terrified. Later,I was in bad relationship after bad relationship because I thought it was all I deserved.

If it helps people grow up to be more understanding, tolerant and accepting of others it can only be a good thing."

No better point of view than one from someone who has been through it,

hope life is treating you better now

By *itness_FornicatorsCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

It's good in my opinion, surprised that they don't already get taught it. B x

over a year ago

John "

No I don't think children...especially in primary should be taught about sexuality. No place in school whatsoever x

over a year ago

John

No I don't think children...especially in primary should be taught about sexuality. No place in school whatsoever x"

How is life back in the 20th century?

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

John

No I don't think children...especially in primary should be taught about sexuality. No place in school whatsoever x

How is life back in the 20th century?"

Master baiter strikes again.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

Primary school kids should be allowed to be kids, i would say it should be high school before this type of education. Seems to me the whole world wants kids to grow up and deal with life and political correctness way to early.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

Seems we have just lost the fact we are talking about 5 year olds to 11 year olds ? 5 years from birth to genender education ???

over a year ago

You do realise that sex education is already taught from primary one? This adds to what children will be taught, and hopefully understand. It might make them challenge the knuckle-dragger attitudes they see and hear at home.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"You do realise that sex education is already taught from primary one? This adds to what children will be taught, and hopefully understand. It might make them challenge the knuckle-dragger attitudes they see and hear at home. "

Are we talking about the homes where the adults use terms like Knuckle draggers and other insulting terms when other peoples opinions dont tally with their own. Is that not you contradicting your own argument for this education. ?

over a year ago

"You do realise that sex education is already taught from primary one? This adds to what children will be taught, and hopefully understand. It might make them challenge the knuckle-dragger attitudes they see and hear at home.

Are we talking about the homes where the adults use terms like Knuckle draggers and other insulting terms when other peoples opinions dont tally with their own. Is that not you contradicting your own argument for this education. ?"

Do you come here conciously looking to argue, or is it just a total lack of self control once you log on?

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"You do realise that sex education is already taught from primary one? This adds to what children will be taught, and hopefully understand. It might make them challenge the knuckle-dragger attitudes they see and hear at home.

Are we talking about the homes where the adults use terms like Knuckle draggers and other insulting terms when other peoples opinions dont tally with their own. Is that not you contradicting your own argument for this education. ?

Do you come here conciously looking to argue, or is it just a total lack of self control once you log on?"

Bait again.

I put my opinion on the subject as did roleplay.

You my friend was the one who threw insults out there. Ohh wait , you can TRY and put people down but when we answer back WE are the ones causing arguments ?? Yeah ok !!!

over a year ago

Do you come here conciously looking to argue, or is it just a total lack of self control once you log on?

Bait again.

You my friend was the one who threw insults out there. Ohh wait , you can TRY and put people down but when we answer back WE are the ones causing arguments ?? Yeah ok !!! "

If you think I'm posting bait, don't take it. It will make the forum a quieter place.

BTW, The post on this thread you first replied to had no reference to you, yet you chose to become confrontational. Why?

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

Bait again.

You my friend was the one who threw insults out there. Ohh wait , you can TRY and put people down but when we answer back WE are the ones causing arguments ?? Yeah ok !!!

If you think I'm posting bait, don't take it. It will make the forum a quieter place.

BTW, The post on this thread you first replied to had no reference to you, yet you chose to become confrontational. Why?"

#Yawn

over a year ago

John

How is life back in the 20th century?"

It's a lot simpler thanks x

over a year ago

"No issue with this at all. As long as they start instilling morals and a work ethic into kids. Also I'd like them to put an end to this snowflake generation who get offended at everything. "

over a year ago

Glasgow

Thought I'd wait until others posted first before throwing my bit in

Firstly I don't think it should be in primary schools as kids that young don't need to fully understand as they need to be kids first, look at sex education at primary schools, once P7's get taught they are running around the whole school like Chinese whispers. Yes secondary schools should be taught about LGBT along with many other adult issues but I solely doubt that RC schools will allow it as they'll be put in a position of what's right and what's wrong in the eyes of God and they already go down their own route with education compared to non-denomination schools

John

over a year ago

I think its great, i remember at secondary school people thinking i was a lesbian and there was no such thing as bi i just simply hadnt made my mind up yet, i feel particularly for trans kids who are confused and for the children that may isolate and judge them this will be reduced, we can all hope that in 10 years time tolerance of the lgbtqa can be respected and above all normalised and "out the closet " as hopefully there will never need to be a closet, primary schools atm are taught about healthy relationships being kind caring, im also hoping there will be more education on healthy relationships in schools rather thsn focusing on srx, lets focus on respect, consent, reducing domestic violence and how to spot it, xx

over a year ago

I work in a primary school and I think it’s a brilliant idea, and one I am totally on board with.

I had to have a chat with a group of P4-P6 boys because they kept making fun of lesbians and gay people. After our chat they were a bit more accepting - but they still use ‘gay!’ as an insult every so often.

There are more same sex couples than ever before now, and there will be bound to be some at your local primary school. If children don’t understand something, they will ask about it. Better to explain young.

over a year ago

"Probably prefer it if they tackled a hard problem like sectarianism in Scotland first...but then again that's a hard one with no brownie points."

By *oanne_MacTV/TS
over a year ago

Perth

Anything that teaches young kids that people are different and that Gay/Bi and Trans is all ok and maybe means the forthcoming generations will be more accepting of others sexuality or gender issues and hopefully cut out the discriminiation and phobic bullshit cant be anything but a good thing...

Anyone disagreeing with it in principal is just displaying their own prejudices tbh

By *rallvalCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Primary school kids should be allowed to be kids, i would say it should be high school before this type of education. Seems to me the whole world wants kids to grow up and deal with life and political correctness way to early. "

It needs to be addressed before it is needed.

I knew I fancied girls when I was about 8 or 9.

If someone fancies the same sex before they know about same sex relationships then they are in the dark.

It needs to be appropriate to the age, we are not talking about teaching 8 year olds about lube and cunnilingus but at least the fact that it is OK to be in a relationship with the same sex.

over a year ago

"Anything that teaches young kids that people are different and that Gay/Bi and Trans is all ok and maybe means the forthcoming generations will be more accepting of others sexuality or gender issues and hopefully cut out the discriminiation and phobic bullshit cant be anything but a good thing...

Anyone disagreeing with it in principal is just displaying their own prejudices tbh "

I don't think that's a fair assumption tbh

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

It would be great in an ideal world to let kids grow up without having these things taught in school . For that to happen the parents would have had to teach them the rights and wrongs of everything at home . Perhaps the teachings of tomorrow will make today’s children more prepared to take on proper parenting in the future .

Respect manners morality and ethics are not school subjects these are things children learn from their parents and family in reality children go to school on average about 30 hours a week excluding holidays its us as parents that have them the rest of the time . If we fail to be tolerant of race religion or sexuality they will pick up on it and perhaps copy us continuing the prejudice onward .

over a year ago

"Primary school kids should be allowed to be kids, i would say it should be high school before this type of education. Seems to me the whole world wants kids to grow up and deal with life and political correctness way to early.

It needs to be addressed before it is needed.

I knew I fancied girls when I was about 8 or 9.

If someone fancies the same sex before they know about same sex relationships then they are in the dark.

It needs to be appropriate to the age, we are not talking about teaching 8 year olds about lube and cunnilingus but at least the fact that it is OK to be in a relationship with the same sex.

"

And, whether we like it or not, kids can access all sorts of shit and misinformation online nowadays. I read recently that

more than half of 11yr olds have viewed some kind of pornography online. In an ideal world, kids would stay kids....but it's a fucked up world, so I do think that knowledge is power in this instance. As long as it is age appropriate.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

[Removed by poster at 10/11/18 21:32:01]

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

I personally take offence to that statement. Im showing my own predjudices because i think 5 , 6, 7 year olds should not have to know about peoples sexual preferences ? (UNLESS they are curious enough to ask) . Theres still predjudices against blacks, chinese, muslims, kids who get free school meals and many many more things in the world. When were finished teaching children about all the predjudices in the world they wont have time for maths and English. And believe me lack of basic maths and English skill in adulthood will produce more predjudices in there future lives than than their sexual orientations ever will.

By *oanne_MacTV/TS
over a year ago

Perth

and would it be ok for 8,9,10 or 11 yr olds to have a brief teaching?

hence my comment "In principal" not meaning against it where age appropriate, but if against it full stop I.E " in principal" then i stand by my comment.

I've saw the damage living with discriminiation and phobia from society to gays or trans... one of my trans friends took her own life a couple of months back due to being unable to deal with the phobia and discriminiation..a bit of light teaching to kids to make them aware its ok to be different may well change societies attitude towards peoples issues and make future generations more tolerant isn't a bad thing..

so if anyones offended by my previous post. i just dont give a fuck

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"and would it be ok for 8,9,10 or 11 yr olds to have a brief teaching?

hence my comment "In principal" not meaning against it where age appropriate, but if against it full stop I.E " in principal" then i stand by my comment.

I've saw the damage living with discriminiation and phobia from society to gays or trans... one of my trans friends took her own life a couple of months back due to being unable to deal with the phobia and discriminiation..a bit of light teaching to kids to make them aware its ok to be different may well change societies attitude towards peoples issues and make future generations more tolerant isn't a bad thing..

so if anyones offended by my previous post. i just dont give a fuck"

Wow

And your asking for people to be tolerant with an attitude of , if your offended "i dont give a fuck" .

By *oanne_MacTV/TS
over a year ago

Perth

correct.

over a year ago

"I personally take offence to that statement. Im showing my own predjudices because i think 5 , 6, 7 year olds should not have to know about peoples sexual preferences ? (UNLESS they are curious enough to ask) . Theres still predjudices against blacks, chinese, muslims, kids who get free school meals and many many more things in the world. When were finished teaching children about all the predjudices in the world they wont have time for maths and English. And believe me lack of basic maths and English skill in adulthood will produce more predjudices in there future lives than than their sexual orientations ever will."

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"I personally take offence to that statement. Im showing my own predjudices because i think 5 , 6, 7 year olds should not have to know about peoples sexual preferences ? (UNLESS they are curious enough to ask) . Theres still predjudices against blacks, chinese, muslims, kids who get free school meals and many many more things in the world. When were finished teaching children about all the predjudices in the world they wont have time for maths and English. And believe me lack of basic maths and English skill in adulthood will produce more predjudices in there future lives than than their sexual orientations ever will."

I'm not sure how much of an argument can be made that teaching inclusion will somehow sacrifice reading and writing skills.

5 yr olds are better mentally equipped to learn about inclusion than formal Maths and English.

They're hardly going to be missing out on calculus and grammar skills - they're mostly play-learning at that stage anyway.

By *oanne_MacTV/TS
over a year ago

Perth

"I personally take offence to that statement. Im showing my own predjudices because i think 5 , 6, 7 year olds should not have to know about peoples sexual preferences ? (UNLESS they are curious enough to ask) . Theres still predjudices against blacks, chinese, muslims, kids who get free school meals and many many more things in the world. When were finished teaching children about all the predjudices in the world they wont have time for maths and English. And believe me lack of basic maths and English skill in adulthood will produce more predjudices in there future lives than than their sexual orientations ever will.

I'm not sure how much of an argument can be made that teaching inclusion will somehow sacrifice reading and writing skills.

5 yr olds are better mentally equipped to learn about inclusion than formal Maths and English.

They're hardly going to be missing out on calculus and grammar skills - they're mostly play-learning at that stage anyway. "

nail.head.bang.on

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/11/18 23:09:55]

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

If you don't agree with us then your showing your prejudices to those writing this are you not in actuality showing your own prejudice towards folk who don't agree with you.

That's the thing with pcism a lot of the time those who engage with it end up tyrannical

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"If you don't agree with us then your showing your prejudices to those writing this are you not in actuality showing your own prejudice towards folk who don't agree with you.

That's the thing with pcism a lot of the time those who engage with it end up tyrannical "

nail.head.bang.on

By *oanne_MacTV/TS
over a year ago

Perth

"If you don't agree with us then your showing your prejudices to those writing this are you not in actuality showing your own prejudice towards folk who don't agree with you.

That's the thing with pcism a lot of the time those who engage with it end up tyrannical

nail.head.bang.on "

Nice to see you surface and post again now you think you have some support

Pointing out peoples prejudices does not make a person prejudiced themselves.

Sticking up for someones rights, especially discrimination directed towards a minority group does not make that person tyrannical...I

I could argue all day about shit like this but id just be lowering myself...and i know it would be a waste of time, akin to reasoning with a housebrick

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

nail.head.bang.on

Nice to see you surface and post again now you think you have some support

Pointing out peoples prejudices does not make a person prejudiced themselves.

Sticking up for someones rights, especially discrimination directed towards a minority group does not make that person tyrannical...I

I could argue all day about shit like this but id just be lowering myself...and i know it would be a waste of time, akin to reasoning with a housebrick "

Was simply making a point. Which is why i COPIED AND PASTED your exact message when you had someone AGREE with your point. And why would you ARGUE your point or not ARGUE your point, personally i prefer to debate things. ?

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

"I think it’s good but has to be done sensitively and staff need to be trained to answer the kids questions.

"

I’m sorry, teachers can’t deal with simple issues in class let alone complex ones. Kids have mental health issues that aren’t being identified and youngsters are committing suicide. Some kids have undiagnosed conditions and are being treated as trouble makers and being excluded.

I’m not really sure why they need to know the history behind LGBT, kids hardly know the history of their own country let alone anything else. The Scottish Government needs to fund schools properly, bring in counsellors and increase the support for pupils.

Schools need to get a reality check and stop banning kids for things like shaving their hair or boys having long hair. How can they teach LGBT awareness when the schools themselves aren’t putting it in to practice now!

over a year ago

I’m sorry, teachers can’t deal with simple issues in class let alone complex ones. Kids have mental health issues that aren’t being identified and youngsters are committing suicide. Some kids have undiagnosed conditions and are being treated as trouble makers and being excluded.

I’m not really sure why they need to know the history behind LGBT, kids hardly know the history of their own country let alone anything else. The Scottish Government needs to fund schools properly, bring in counsellors and increase the support for pupils.

Schools need to get a reality check and stop banning kids for things like shaving their hair or boys having long hair. How can they teach LGBT awareness when the schools themselves aren’t putting it in to practice now! "

This (the first bit anyway) When did teachers stop teaching and become social workers x

over a year ago

Schools need to get a reality check and stop banning kids for things like shaving their hair or boys having long hair. How can they teach LGBT awareness when the schools themselves aren’t putting it in to practice now!

This (the first bit anyway) When did teachers stop teaching and become social workers x"

Unfortunately some time ago or at least they have expected to be...

over a year ago

Glasgow

This (the first bit anyway) When did teachers stop teaching and become social workers x"

When they stopped being able to teach, sadly our education system has kids teaching kids

John

over a year ago

This (the first bit anyway) When did teachers stop teaching and become social workers x

When they stopped being able to teach, sadly our education system has kids teaching kids

John "

That's a whole other thread entirely. I also disagree. Someone's age has no basis on their level of teaching x

By *ringles0510Woman
over a year ago

Central Borders

"I work in a primary school and I think it’s a brilliant idea, and one I am totally on board with.

I had to have a chat with a group of P4-P6 boys because they kept making fun of lesbians and gay people. After our chat they were a bit more accepting - but they still use ‘gay!’ as an insult every so often.

There are more same sex couples than ever before now, and there will be bound to be some at your local primary school. If children don’t understand something, they will ask about it. Better to explain young. "

Not sure if it's a good idea to have face pics on here in your line of work. People have been known to get sacked for showing a lot less than you are x

over a year ago

"I work in a primary school and I think it’s a brilliant idea, and one I am totally on board with.

There are more same sex couples than ever before now, and there will be bound to be some at your local primary school. If children don’t understand something, they will ask about it. Better to explain young.

Not sure if it's a good idea to have face pics on here in your line of work. People have been known to get sacked for showing a lot less than you are x"

I have thought that before. There is a fan page of my kids teachers. Nothing sexual but it's went round the whole school x

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/11/18 15:35:55]

over a year ago

John

That's a whole other thread entirely. I also disagree. Someone's age has no basis on their level of teaching x"

I disagree

In high school anyway.

Iv had 1 teacher more interested in showing her class her insta pics of her weekend and iv had 1 teacher cry because a 15yr old boy told her she was ugly.

Ok I'm sure there are some good young teachers out there but there's a certain maturity needed for the craziness of high school.

In my day if a teacher said jump we would say how high.didnt know any of their 1st names or anything now they are way too familiar even some going by their 1st names?

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

They can't do the 3 Rs but as long as they know about sexual communities then it's all good and the world will be a better place.

over a year ago

It’s a great way forward and I’m proud Scotland is the first.

Learning about the prejudice, hate and exclusion of a group of people is vital for ensuring such hatred doesn’t continue in society.

Teaching understanding and acceptance is valuable across all areas of humanity

Sexuality isn’t about sex !!! Teaching children that relationships can be MF / MM or MF and that gender is about who you are and not your gentians is crucial to building a peaceful inclusive society for everyone.

Nobody will be teaching the mechanics of sex until it’s age appropriate to do so - like it currently is

By *othardandfreeMan
over a year ago

Dundee

To quote Frankie Boyle..

In my days at school the only sex education we got consisted of muttered warnings about the janitor.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Schools need to get a reality check and stop banning kids for things like shaving their hair or boys having long hair. How can they teach LGBT awareness when the schools themselves aren’t putting it in to practice now! "

You do know which kids are most likely to attempt/commit suicide?

L

G

B

T

Teach for understanding and tolerance.

Teach how it makes an lgbt child feel to be called hateful names, to be beaten up, ostracised.

Teach them that there are many expressions of love and that it's ok to be different.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Also, teachers are already dealing with complex issues.

By *onkeymagic50Man
over a year ago

Near the harbour

What next ,teach 5 year olds how to be adults ,Christ most 5 year old don't know what they want for breakfast never mind the complexities of gender ,sexual preference etc ,,kids are innocent let them enjoy childhood before trying to make them grow up so no I think it's wrong

over a year ago

"I think it’s good but has to be done sensitively and staff need to be trained to answer the kids questions. "

Proper training....for teachers? I wish!

Novel idea but the harsh reality of over crowded curriculum, lack of training, staff own views and that question of at what age...it'll likely not take off or be botched

over a year ago

Proper training....for teachers? I wish!

Novel idea but the harsh reality of over crowded curriculum, lack of training, staff own views and that question of at what age...it'll likely not take off or be botched"

We have a sever shortage of teachers in our area and teachers are in revolt over primary school testing. The SG might be better placed sorting out the entire education crisis before trying to add even more to the curriculum

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Perish the thought that schools should be about education, eh?

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Ok folks, when do children become sexually active?

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"Ok folks, when do children become sexually active?"

What has that got to do with encouraging tolerance and inclusion?

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"Ok folks, when do children become sexually active?

What has that got to do with encouraging tolerance and inclusion?"

I see a lot of people on here saying that we should just let kids be kids, so i'm curious, what age do people think children become sexually active?

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

"Ok folks, when do children become sexually active?

What has that got to do with encouraging tolerance and inclusion?

I see a lot of people on here saying that we should just let kids be kids, so i'm curious, what age do people think children become sexually active?"

No idea, but if you just let kids be kids, with no guidance, then the pack mentality will soon emerge, and the prejudices bestowed on them at home will make it all good yeah?

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"Hate if you please but this has no place in schooling imo

Perish the thought that schools should be about education, eh?"

that's my point it should only be about education.

Lgbt isn't education it's lifestyle and it's also contentious and not agreed upon so who's version of truth do we go with

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Kids will always need guidance, it's how it's done that counts. A few on here were saying that primary school is too young for teaching sexuality issues, i'm just wondering if any of them actually know when children become sexually active.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Perish the thought that schools should be about education, eh?that's my point it should only be about education.

Lgbt isn't education it's lifestyle and it's also contentious and not agreed upon so who's version of truth do we go with"

Inclusion isn't a version of truth.

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

Perish the thought that schools should be about education, eh?that's my point it should only be about education.

Lgbt isn't education it's lifestyle and it's also contentious and not agreed upon so who's version of truth do we go with

Inclusion isn't a version of truth."

Also, tolerance shouldn't be a lifestyle.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

[Removed by poster at 13/11/18 19:46:12]

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Inclusion isn't a version of truth."

by that maxim be nice to everyone is all that's needed then isn't it

By *ootlover456Man
over a year ago

Paisley

I see no reason why they shouldn't be taught this. ignorance and lack of understanding is what causes most hate I find. teaching children about such things so that they don't grow up to be ignorant and hateful can only be a good thing

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

Inclusion isn't a version of truth.by that maxim be nice to everyone is all that's needed then isn't it "

Teach them and let them make their own minds up how to behave to others.

over a year ago

Inclusion isn't a version of truth.by that maxim be nice to everyone is all that's needed then isn't it

Teach them and let them make their own minds up how to behave to others."

Yeah, like that has worked already.

Look at all the things that method has eradicated:

Sectarianism

Racism

Sexism

Homophobia

Xenophobia....

Oh, wait...

over a year ago

Inclusion isn't a version of truth.by that maxim be nice to everyone is all that's needed then isn't it

Sectarianism

Racism

Sexism

Homophobia

Xenophobia....

Oh, wait...

"

These things will never be eradicated.

over a year ago

Sectarianism

Racism

Sexism

Homophobia

Xenophobia....

Oh, wait...

These things will never be eradicated."

I take it yer glass is half empty?

over a year ago

Sectarianism

Racism

Sexism

Homophobia

Xenophobia....

Oh, wait...

These things will never be eradicated.

I take it yer glass is half empty? "

Just realistic. The utopian dream where everyone accepts everyone else is just that, a dream. There will always be people that believe some things are wrong. Squeezing harder and telling people they cannot hold those beliefs is bringing on a global right-wing rising. That is today's reality.

over a year ago

This is true, but doing nothing about these issues isn't really an option. If we can't eradicate them, we should do what we can to minimise them. Maybe in a few generations, this world will be civilised enough to get there.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

These humans.. I despair. Give it a couple of thousand years and you'll be extinct again. If you make it that far.

By *ail_forceTV/TS
over a year ago

Dundee

"These humans.. I despair. Give it a couple of thousand years and you'll be extinct again. If you make it that far. "

You know we're still in the dark ages. Born in the wrong time. All we can do is keep the dream alive and the jokes flowing x

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

Lgbt isn't education it's lifestyle and it's also contentious and not agreed upon so who's version of truth do we go with"

What's not agreed upon?

Versions of truth?

Contentious?

What are you talking about?

I do not understand.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 13/11/18 22:16:01]

over a year ago

"

Swinging is a lifestyle. A choice.

Being LGBT isn't a choice.

Would you choose to be lesbian, gay, bi or trans, with the hostility, prejudice, bullying, and ignorance of a closed mind society, and yes, large sections of society still are. You can see it on this thread.

Would you choose that as a "lifestyle", knowing what you will face?

It is not a lifestyle, and not a choice.

It is a reality for those who live their lives as LGBT.

over a year ago

"

What's not agreed upon?

Versions of truth?

Contentious?

What are you talking about?

I do not understand.

"

I'm gonna go with the 't' part. Many many people just do not believe in it, they believe you are born male or female and that's that. I feel as long as they are not treating transgender persons adversely then that is their choice, to not agree with it. But then if you start teaching their children things they disagree with, and call them prejudiced and closed-minded if they don't agree (as another poster has done) then things are going to get contentious.

For clarity, I am one of those persons that feels desire to change gender is a psychological rather than biological thing. I do not believe we ever really change gender even with operations or hormones. BUT if a transgender person wants me to call them by their preferred noun or whatever I will. I would not say refuse them a job or anything based on it. I would not discriminate against them. But I have been told on many occasions that's not enough. If I do not believe in it, I am phobic. And this is where it gets contentious. Tell people often enough they cannot hold their own views and they will push back.

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"

Being LGBT isn't a choice.

Would you choose to be lesbian, gay, bi or trans, with the hostility, prejudice, bullying, and ignorance of a closed mind society, and yes, large sections of society still are. You can see it on this thread.

Would you choose that as a "lifestyle", knowing what you will face?

It is not a lifestyle, and not a choice.

It is a reality for those who live their lives as LGBT."

Seeing LGBT as a lifestyle is a choice, one bereft of science, but a choice all the same...

over a year ago

It's just crazy hard to believe transgender in P1

over a year ago

Well said.

over a year ago

What I'm worried about isn't the educating part for schoolkids that aren't even 16 yet about the existence of LGBT people in society. It's the fact that it all starts at such a young impressionable age, and there would be plenty of anecdotal evidence (some which I even know of personally) whereby young people and teenagers end up trying to jump on the LGBT bandwagon out of youthful rebellion without knowing or understanding the full ramifications, or worse still grow up increasingly confused about their bodies and sexualities at a time period of their lives when frankly they have far more need to be focusing on academics and building up their brain smarts than going off on a tangent trying to "find themselves".

People's brains change so much when they're young, they never really stabilise or settle down till one's in their mid twenties. I for one am all for better sex education and relationship coaching for schoolchildren entering their puberty years, but certainly not teaching about LGBT stuff when they're still in primary school or when one cannot for certain guarantee that it will be taught in an objective manner that isn't seen to be trying to glorify or push the LGBT agenda on impressionable minds.

If it has to be done, do it in a stenographic and objective manner. And get a very tight grip on making sure schoolchildren NEVER at any point think it alright to simply experiment with their sexual orientations or jump on the LGBT bandwagon willy-nilly to use it as a sticking plaster distraction when they have other underlying issues or mental health issues in life they're trying to deal with.

And I'm saying all this as a bisexual person myself. I bet with very strong personal conviction and personal experience that most teens or children out there under 18 aren't even serious or truthfully aware of what being LGBT means or is.

Just my two cents, please don't shoot me.

By *argaidMan
over a year ago

glasgow

"Primary school kids should be allowed to be kids, i would say it should be high school before this type of education. Seems to me the whole world wants kids to grow up and deal with life and political correctness way to early. "

1. Inclusion is not political correctness.

2. My daughter is ten. She, like many girls in this world where we fill the food chain with hormones, is developing breasts and hitting teenage sulks already. The media is filled with sexualised imagery and references. Boys in her class are talking about the porn they watch. So just when do you suggest that she hear rational, balanced information?

over a year ago

"Primary school kids should be allowed to be kids, i would say it should be high school before this type of education. Seems to me the whole world wants kids to grow up and deal with life and political correctness way to early.

2. My daughter is ten. She, like many girls in this world where we fill the food chain with hormones, is developing breasts and hitting teenage sulks already. The media is filled with sexualised imagery and references. Boys in her class are talking about the porn they watch. So just when do you suggest that she hear rational, balanced information?"

This

over a year ago

2. My daughter is ten. She, like many girls in this world where we fill the food chain with hormones, is developing breasts and hitting teenage sulks already. The media is filled with sexualised imagery and references. Boys in her class are talking about the porn they watch. So just when do you suggest that she hear rational, balanced information?"

This shit you describe in your second point is why I strongly prefer Asian societies now after my experiences in the West. In Asia kids are still kids at their age, especially without that horror reality of hormone-filled foods bringing on earlier onsets of puberty in them, or the rampant and permissive attitudes towards sex and pornography. At this current rate, would someone one day dare to push to lower the limit on what constitutes a "child" in terms of age? I mean, there'd be a valid case to argue for that if we're going to see more and more children mature faster physically, itching to test those boundaries out and thinking that looking or having bodies that are borderline adult would justify such mentalities and behaviour.

But I digress anyhow.

By *eep.Man
over a year ago

2. My daughter is ten. She, like many girls in this world where we fill the food chain with hormones, is developing breasts and hitting teenage sulks already. The media is filled with sexualised imagery and references. Boys in her class are talking about the porn they watch. So just when do you suggest that she hear rational, balanced information?

This shit you describe in your second point is why I strongly prefer Asian societies now after my experiences in the West. In Asia kids are still kids at their age, especially without that horror reality of hormone-filled foods bringing on earlier onsets of puberty in them, or the rampant and permissive attitudes towards sex and pornography. At this current rate, would someone one day dare to push to lower the limit on what constitutes a "child" in terms of age? I mean, there'd be a valid case to argue for that if we're going to see more and more children mature faster physically, itching to test those boundaries out and thinking that looking or having bodies that are borderline adult would justify such mentalities and behaviour.

But I digress anyhow.

"

Give it a few decades we'll all be speaking Mandarin anyway

By *argaidMan
over a year ago

glasgow

Asian societies? Like Japan and China with their fetishization of schoolgirls? Their age of consent set at 13? Japan is ranked 114th in the world for gender equality. China still has huge issues with unwanted female children. Or will we talk about the 'rope' (fab bans the correct word here) culture in certain Asian countries? Forced marriage of very young girls?

Aye, their culture is so much better.

By *ictiiWitchCouple
over a year ago

Helensburgh

"Asian societies? Like Japan and China with their fetishization of schoolgirls? Their age of consent set at 13? Japan is ranked 114th in the world for gender equality. China still has huge issues with unwanted female children. Or will we talk about the 'rope' (fab bans the correct word here) culture in certain Asian countries? Forced marriage of very young girls?

Aye, their culture is so much better."

Why is there no like function here...

over a year ago

But I digress anyhow.

Give it a few decades we'll all be speaking Mandarin anyway "

Aha. I can always help with free lessons. Only for Fab people mind. Everyone else pays up!

over a year ago

"Asian societies? Like Japan and China with their fetishization of schoolgirls? Their age of consent set at 13? Japan is ranked 114th in the world for gender equality. China still has huge issues with unwanted female children. Or will we talk about the 'rope' (fab bans the correct word here) culture in certain Asian countries? Forced marriage of very young girls?

Aye, their culture is so much better."

WHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA. The fetishisation of schoolgirls exists mainly in JAPAN. Not China. How could that shit even happen in China when they used to have one-child policy going on and female infants were often abandoned or outright "disappeared" in favour of male ones?

Age of consent set at 13? Well given what was said about girls and boys in the West maturing and hitting sexual and physical maturity faster thanks to hormonal foods, give it a couple decades and you'll see that happening sooner or later too.

Not even gonna bother about all your other points because i'm not about to be drawn into a big fight on the forum about unrelated topics.

But hey, at least in Asia, we value education far more strongly in our culture than the West. Maybe that's why they say give it a hundred years and you'll see Asia and China rule the world when the West slides into decadent hedonistic moral decline.

over a year ago

I find kids to be accepting generally, it’s the adults that need re-educated. Schools can spend years preaching to kids, but if when they go home they’re met with an intolerant parent then it often falls on deaf ears.

I’ve found parents that are open with their children raise free thinking human beings who question things but accept people and the differences in each individual. It’s the parents who have narrow minded views that produce clones and pass them on to the next generation

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Teach them and let them make their own minds up how to behave to others."

and again teach them who's version of truth now you see what the problem is it's not an agreed upon absolute so it can't be taught

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Aye, their culture is so much better.

WHOAWHOAWHOAWHOAWHOA. The fetishisation of schoolgirls exists mainly in JAPAN. Not China. How could that shit even happen in China when they used to have one-child policy going on and female infants were often abandoned or outright "disappeared" in favour of male ones?

Age of consent set at 13? Well given what was said about girls and boys in the West maturing and hitting sexual and physical maturity faster thanks to hormonal foods, give it a couple decades and you'll see that happening sooner or later too.

Not even gonna bother about all your other points because i'm not about to be drawn into a big fight on the forum about unrelated topics.

But hey, at least in Asia, we value education far more strongly in our culture than the West. Maybe that's why they say give it a hundred years and you'll see Asia and China rule the world when the West slides into decadent hedonistic moral decline. "

scary but I kinda agree with the possible scenario you describe

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

"

Being LGBT isn't a choice."

In my opinion it is a choice, you could choose to be single, you can choose to be in a normal m/f couple , as LGBT , you can choose not to indulge or you can choose to engage in the lifestyle . How many kids dabble in same sex touchy feely or whatever when experimenting in their schooling years, they managed to make their minds up how they wanted to proceed in life with any formal education on the subject and made their own choices in life .

Someone mentioned earlier about predudice from parents about LGBT , maybe a minority of parents ,yes, but again the people FOR this type of education brand everyone judgemental and are technically forcing ALL kids to receive this type of education. All the education in the world wont help that child if he or she then goes home to a prejudiced parent.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Why are we focussed on LGBT?

Surely it ought to be an integral part of sex education in schools, without fear or favour towards or against any lawful practice.

The legitimate question in my mind is at what age it is appropriate for children to receive sex education, not what should be excluded.

Does today’s subject also include advice or guidance about how to deal with inappropriate or unwanted sexual advances?

Hopefully the world has changed since I went to school.

By *argaidMan
over a year ago

glasgow

"

How could that shit even happen in China when they used to have one-child policy going on and female infants were often abandoned or outright "disappeared" in favour of male ones?

"

Exactly what I referred to. You admit they murder (it still happens) female children then try to claim that Chinese society is better than western?

"

"

Because their bodies are maturing faster you think we should be reducing the age of consent? Starting to see why you're so fond of Asian cultures.

Since the food contamination is world-wide asian children are not exempt from its effects. If you're going to use that as an excuse for Japan having an age of consent at 13 what age do you think they'll lower it to if their girls are maturing physically earlier?

"

"

Because you can't defend against the points so you're going to ignore them and try to pretend that they're off-topic. Big part of those 'superior' cultures that you're so fond of.

"

But hey, at least in Asia, we value education far more strongly in our culture than the West. Maybe that's why they say give it a hundred years and you'll see Asia and China rule the world when the West slides into decadent hedonistic moral decline.

"

No, certain asian cultures 'value' education. If by value you mean pressure children to succeed to the point of being suicidal, use corporal punishment as an 'incentive' and value test results above all else then, yeah. Not exactly allowing kids to be kids as you claim earlier, though, is it?

But if you think that cultures that cull girls and use r*pe as a punishment are superior you just go back there, because sooner or later you'll espouse these ideals in the company of someone who will be quite abrupt in their methods of explaining why you're wrong.

Post new Message to Thread