Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Child Protection

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Once again it’s in the news that a prominent youth sports (football )coach has been given 6 yrs for lewd n libidinous advances to kids , this was common knowledge late 70s and before , and I had first hand knowledge of him and his sidekick , when is this disease gonna be torn out of society and have our kids protected , Disclosure as well meaning as it is obviously doesn’t go far enough , should more women be involved in shadowing lone men in youth clubs etc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The disease will always be around, as long as there are humans there will be those with sick desires and those willing to take advantage of the vulnerable. We must continue to be vigilant and to give our children ways to let someone know when things aren't okay. Treating every man as a potential predator is not okay though. And let's not forget women perpetrate these crimes too. I think one way forward would be far stiffer sentencing for those caught. Make the risk not worth taking

over a year ago

"The disease will always be around, as long as there are humans there will be those with sick desires and those willing to take advantage of the vulnerable. We must continue to be vigilant and to give our children ways to let someone know when things aren't okay. Treating every man as a potential predator is not okay though. And let's not forget women perpetrate these crimes too. I think one way forward would be far stiffer sentencing for those caught. Make the risk not worth taking "

over a year ago

"The disease will always be around, as long as there are humans there will be those with sick desires and those willing to take advantage of the vulnerable. We must continue to be vigilant and to give our children ways to let someone know when things aren't okay. Treating every man as a potential predator is not okay though. And let's not forget women perpetrate these crimes too. I think one way forward would be far stiffer sentencing for those caught. Make the risk not worth taking "
without a doubt , women have and are perpetrating similar offences on a far lesser scale , and no we shouldn’t treat every coach as a possible criminal , I was meaning more as with making it a team of two minimum there’s corroboration for good and bad practices in general

over a year ago

without a doubt , women have and are perpetrating similar offences on a far lesser scale , and no we shouldn’t treat every coach as a possible criminal , I was meaning more as with making it a team of two minimum there’s corroboration for good and bad practices in general

I work with young people and we always have a male and female present. We regard it as best practice.

over a year ago

"without a doubt , women have and are perpetrating similar offences on a far lesser scale , and no we shouldn’t treat every coach as a possible criminal , I was meaning more as with making it a team of two minimum there’s corroboration for good and bad practices in general

I work with young people and we always have a male and female present. We regard it as best practice. "

that’s what meant in less words lol well put J ty

over a year ago

"without a doubt , women have and are perpetrating similar offences on a far lesser scale , and no we shouldn’t treat every coach as a possible criminal , I was meaning more as with making it a team of two minimum there’s corroboration for good and bad practices in general

I work with young people and we always have a male and female present. We regard it as best practice. that’s what meant in less words lol well put J ty "

Anytime. Lol

over a year ago

Yeah I guess it's sensible if plenty adults are available. What I feel helps though is the cultural shift we are seeing, TD talks about the 70's it was a different time. Even in the 90's I was in a youth organisation and one leader had a reputation for feeling the kids up. Everyone knew. My friend complained and it was awful. The organisation didn't want it to come out, they were embarrassed and it wasn't 'the done thing'. She was made out to be a slag, I was called a liar. Parents turns on us s they did not want a their kids 'tarred' with it all. It was a huge fight to get him removed even then he was allowed to 'retire'. Nowadays that wouldn't happen. An accusation made would be investigated, there are policies and procedures in place. No covering it up. Things are changing for the better, it just doesn't always seem that way as horrific historical cases are still being dealt with. But they are finally being dealt with.

Though of course today we have the modern challenges of the internet and cyber grooming. Deviants will evolve with society.

over a year ago

"Yeah I guess it's sensible if plenty adults are available. What I feel helps though is the cultural shift we are seeing, TD talks about the 70's it was a different time. Even in the 90's I was in a youth organisation and one leader had a reputation for feeling the kids up. Everyone knew. My friend complained and it was awful. The organisation didn't want it to come out, they were embarrassed and it wasn't 'the done thing'. She was made out to be a slag, I was called a liar. Parents turns on us s they did not want a their kids 'tarred' with it all. It was a huge fight to get him removed even then he was allowed to 'retire'. Nowadays that wouldn't happen. An accusation made would be investigated, there are policies and procedures in place. No covering it up. Things are changing for the better, it just doesn't always seem that way as horrific historical cases are still being dealt with. But they are finally being dealt with.

Though of course today we have the modern challenges of the internet and cyber grooming. Deviants will evolve with society. "

This is all true. But policies and procedures are good for reporting and as you say not covering up. But we also need policies that will help prevent it happening. This is one policy we have in my work that assists in this.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

You'll never stamp it out however now it's out there the stigma hopefully on the abused will stop.

By *eADevilCouple
over a year ago

Blantyre

As someone said , tougher sentencing , if convicted then its 10 years minimum per child. No ifs no buts no paroles no good behaviour crap. 10 years set jail time. The legacy cases are the place to start , these past perpetrators have no doubt had good lives but now they should serve there 10 years per child and DIE in prison. Thats how you stamp out future peodofiles even thinking of doing it. Grooming 5 years per child, and computer images , 3 years per image. Standard sentencing for everyone .

over a year ago

6 years-yes-6 years for destroying kids lives. Celtic football boys coach Torbet, had a 5 year old victim. How is 6 years in jail(halved for good behaviour) any sort of deterent.

Rotherham, the BBC and now this. It's disgusting what's happened to these poor kids. How many have taken their own lives.

I would bring the death sentence back for paedofiles.

over a year ago

Torbett was known years ago yet h is only sentenced now.

over a year ago

"As someone said , tougher sentencing , if convicted then its 10 years minimum per child. No ifs no buts no paroles no good behaviour crap. 10 years set jail time. The legacy cases are the place to start , these past perpetrators have no doubt had good lives but now they should serve there 10 years per child and DIE in prison. Thats how you stamp out future peodofiles even thinking of doing it. Grooming 5 years per child, and computer images , 3 years per image. Standard sentencing for everyone . "

Where there is absolutely no shadow of a doubt of their guilt, I'd just put a fucking bullet behind their ear. They cannot be rehabilitated and serve no purpose on the planet.

over a year ago

"As someone said , tougher sentencing , if convicted then its 10 years minimum per child. No ifs no buts no paroles no good behaviour crap. 10 years set jail time. The legacy cases are the place to start , these past perpetrators have no doubt had good lives but now they should serve there 10 years per child and DIE in prison. Thats how you stamp out future peodofiles even thinking of doing it. Grooming 5 years per child, and computer images , 3 years per image. Standard sentencing for everyone .

Where there is absolutely no shadow of a doubt of their guilt, I'd just put a fucking bullet behind their ear. They cannot be rehabilitated and serve no purpose on the planet.

"

yes agree there must be 100% that the person was guilty. Definitely no rehabilitation. Death penalty must be the way but also any person or officer caught manipulating the truth to get a conviction should get at least 20 years.

I could be wrong but think one of the reason the death penalty was stopped because of innocent people being put to the chair.

By *airy PrincessWoman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"As someone said , tougher sentencing , if convicted then its 10 years minimum per child. No ifs no buts no paroles no good behaviour crap. 10 years set jail time. The legacy cases are the place to start , these past perpetrators have no doubt had good lives but now they should serve there 10 years per child and DIE in prison. Thats how you stamp out future peodofiles even thinking of doing it. Grooming 5 years per child, and computer images , 3 years per image. Standard sentencing for everyone .

I agree they cannot be rehabilitated. Some are able to hide it better once release as they generally find other ways of doing it and get lots of handy tips while incarcerated with like minded people. Once a pedo always a pedo. It has been proven time and time again. They should be sent to an island and left to die in my opinion.

"

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

Everyone on this thread is of the same opinion on how wrong it is but how many are actually willing to step up and make a difference?? . You hear about the high profile cases in the media but for your information its happening in your streets, your communitys, your villages, towns and cities on a DAILY basis. Talk is cheap folks, the childrens panel looks for volunteers every year or two, how many of you are willing to give up a couple of mornings or afternoons a month to MAKE a difference. Someone said the other day about how well a city was treating refugee kids and how great that city is . Yes thats great i agree but people need to really open their eyes and see the other 1000s of kids thats not being treated that way in that great city !!.

over a year ago

I actually thought about doing this a cpl of months ago but..selfishly I really knew I would struggle not to take things home with me if I heard really bad things.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"I actually thought about doing this a cpl of months ago but..selfishly I really knew I would struggle not to take things home with me if I heard really bad things.

"

It is THE most amazing experience you will ever have oldie. Yes its bad at times but leaving a hearing knowing you have changed a childs life makes the bad things easier to deal with. Seriously i see young people a whole different way now. So much more tolerant of them and understanding of them . X

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"I actually thought about doing this a cpl of months ago but..selfishly I really knew I would struggle not to take things home with me if I heard really bad things.

"

Pm me if you ever consider it again x

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Years ago i worked in a childrens home and it was heartbreaking to read what these children had suffered from a very young age.

over a year ago

It is THE most amazing experience you will ever have oldie. Yes its bad at times but leaving a hearing knowing you have changed a childs life makes the bad things easier to deal with. Seriously i see young people a whole different way now. So much more tolerant of them and understanding of them . X"

I have friends in social care and the stories they tell me is horrendous thought hard but just wouldn't put myself through that emotional rollercoaster ...selfish I know but hey ho

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman
over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

Look at the scandal of the priests & nuns in Ireland!

People came forward in their 1000's so speak out about what they suffered at the hands of these people.

Many were given compensation for what happened to them but what they didnt realise was by signing the forms for compensation they were also singning to say the would never speak publicly about what happened to them or name the people who abused them .

Once many found that out they either drank themselfes to death or commited suicide because they couldnt cope with the terrible abuse that they went through and the injustice once it was exposed.

over a year ago

"Everyone on this thread is of the same opinion on how wrong it is but how many are actually willing to step up and make a difference?? . You hear about the high profile cases in the media but for your information its happening in your streets, your communitys, your villages, towns and cities on a DAILY basis. Talk is cheap folks, the childrens panel looks for volunteers every year or two, how many of you are willing to give up a couple of mornings or afternoons a month to MAKE a difference. Someone said the other day about how well a city was treating refugee kids and how great that city is . Yes thats great i agree but people need to really open their eyes and see the other 1000s of kids thats not being treated that way in that great city !!. "

I'd consider it if I ever left my current job.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Everyone on this thread is of the same opinion on how wrong it is but how many are actually willing to step up and make a difference?? . You hear about the high profile cases in the media but for your information its happening in your streets, your communitys, your villages, towns and cities on a DAILY basis. Talk is cheap folks, the childrens panel looks for volunteers every year or two, how many of you are willing to give up a couple of mornings or afternoons a month to MAKE a difference. Someone said the other day about how well a city was treating refugee kids and how great that city is . Yes thats great i agree but people need to really open their eyes and see the other 1000s of kids thats not being treated that way in that great city !!.

I'd consider it if I ever left my current job. "

Lots of companys allow you paid time off to do it. Have you ever asked your employer if they do. X

Post new Message to Thread