Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Going For A Drive In Scotland, Where Would You Go

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Going For A Drive In Scotland, Where Would You Go

As the title says if you were going to go a drive in Scotland, say a few days, where would you go and why.

Me I have many place for different reasons. A small sample is listed here: Love loch Etive or the drive from Glasgow heading to Inveraray then up to Loch Awe then to Oban.

Enjoy it heading to Drumnadrochit and not to far from there there's a place you can park the car and walk into the woods to come across a river with an 100 year old bridge, its absolute stunning, the way the river has shaped the stones over the centuries. Just a place where you can relax and chill. I also love Skye but there's that much to see before it and even heading further up to the Bealach na bah, towards Applecross, the higher road in Britain, fantastic views.

These are only some of the places I love in this beautiful country, so what about you, where would you go, for any reason

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Don’t go to Ayr, it’s pissing down!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/08/18 13:33:19]

over a year ago

I'm off to Skye on Sunday for the ferry to Harris. It's for work though so won't get to see much of the island

over a year ago

Perthshire is lovely

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Up the west coast to Lochaber, Arisaig, Morar and Mallaig...

If anyone is offering....

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

I always like the drive from Braemar, down through Glenshee to Perth.

Or up on the whisky trails in Moray. Awesome scenery.

Would love to get further up the NC500.

over a year ago

"Up the west coast to Lochaber, Arisaig, Morar and Mallaig...

If anyone is offering.... "

Yes up to mallaig is amazing ...

over a year ago

I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha

over a year ago

"Don’t go to Ayr, it’s pissing down!"

Aw...I'm going there tomorrow for four days too!

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

What type of mobile health vehicle would you require ?

I follow the weather if there’s any good to follow weather to Fife , Inverness or Berwick .

One day will get a mobile home and just drive anywhere I feel like .

By *kplayingMan
over a year ago

In town

this is a stunning drive and the ardnamurchan peninsula

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha "

Glencoe can look stunning on the right day but there are better places further north.

By *ripleXrateDWoman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I dont normally go many drives unless it's to tesco. And even at that its my other half that drives.

But if I had a choice probably Arrochar I love it up there xxxx

over a year ago

"I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha "

Not far from Glencoe is Rannoch moor and at night is fucking scary as feck. it reminds me of American werewolf.

I was half way along that road and got a flat type, fucking hell what a night trying to change that tyre.

When you think of the drive alone to these places, so diverse. Driving along open spaces then all of a sudden your in an area where mountains shoot up. The drive up loch Lomond after the Arrochar turn off is quite tight n dense then it opens up just stunning. Driving through Speyside and the rolling hills up and down with tiny villages plotted every so often, just so comforting and makes you wanna chill even more. The open plans driving from Dornoch to Thurso or round the west side, Scourie n Kinlochbervie stunning views and so different in the amazing sunshine or on a windswept day, just fantastic.

over a year ago

Glencoe actually looks better when the weather is bad, it's more moody.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha

Glencoe actually looks better when the weather is bad, it's more moody."

Up to a point. If it’s hazy sunshine with some cloud then you get great colours across the hills. Autumn is a great time to be in these places just because of the variety of colours

over a year ago

"I'm off to Skye on Sunday for the ferry to Harris. It's for work though so won't get to see much of the island "
bring some good weather up with you

over a year ago

"I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha

Up to a point. If it’s hazy sunshine with some cloud then you get great colours across the hills. Autumn is a great time to be in these places just because of the variety of colours "

/ Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, Onich Ballachulish etc.... infact throughout Scotland all look so different yet amazing in different season.

I love it, just as a get away from it all and me time

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Up to a point. If it’s hazy sunshine with some cloud then you get great colours across the hills. Autumn is a great time to be in these places just because of the variety of colours / Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, Onich Ballachulish etc.... infact throughout Scotland all look so different yet amazing in different season.

I love it, just as a get away from it all and me time "

You don’t even have to go that far, the Ochils look great too. The different colours and shades look great when you are reasonably close - say fishcross/alloa.

over a year ago

North....... Black isle way. South....... nowhere really. East...... would need a boat

West.... oban

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

javascript:doSmilie(' ')

I love Glencoe also (but mainly as we have a tree planted there for our son)

over a year ago

"I drove through Glencoe and apparently It would look amazing .I didn't really rate it haha javascript:doSmilie(' ')

I love Glencoe also (but mainly as we have a tree planted there for our son)

"

Awww lovely xx

By *rlo67Man
over a year ago

Dumfries

I’ve driven through Glencoe many times, the two best were in an elemental storm and one cloudless full moon night.

Glenbrittle on Skye is a favourite

By *othianGuy41Man
over a year ago

Eureka

Drive to Oban then catch the ferry to the Isle of Mull then drive up to Tobermory. It’s lovely. Lots of great places to eat & the pubs have plenty on at the weekends. Its also a lovely drive round the island stopping off at Iona

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

I think we need a convoy road trip

over a year ago

I drive lorries for a living & have been all over our great country from Durness, Wick to Stranraer, Campbeltown, whisky trail & it's so different our wee country. Sometimes great in summer sun or snowy weather there is just to many to say are the best. As one gabber wrote they all look good in the right weather & each Glen has there on feeling about them steeped in history.

Fab bus tour, road trip sounds good

By *imbo57Man
over a year ago

kilmarnock ish

Drive up the coast ferry yo dunnon drive across the amazing road to Glendaurel then round to Tiganabtuach ???? Amazing views of the kyles of bute

over a year ago

A lot of very nice places in the Scottish Borders.

Google Scotts View,you won't get many nicer places on a nice sunny day.

over a year ago

So many favourites:

Glen Etive, Cairngorm forests, Arisaig coast, Trotternish, East Lothian beaches, Torridon hills.....

over a year ago

Another one I do quite a lot is through glen shee to Baremar from there to the earl of mars punch bowl. Then back and up towards Banchory and back over the Carin o mount

over a year ago

"Another one I do quite a lot is through glen shee to Baremar from there to the earl of mars punch bowl. Then back and up towards Banchory and back over the Carin o mount"

Do you stop at the Clattering Brig for a cuppae like me?

Was touring Aberdeenshire today. Ellon to Banchory via Banff, Huntley and Rhynie. The scenery was lovely...fields of gold right enough. .

J

over a year ago

I have never been in. But there is a nice wee wooden hut thing down from corgaff castle I think the shorty is to die for

over a year ago

Not a drive per se, but the train journey from Glasgow to Mallaig is a favourite.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

Not far from Glencoe is Rannoch moor and at night is fucking scary as feck. it reminds me of American werewolf.

I was half way along that road and got a flat type, fucking hell what a night trying to change that tyre.

When you think of the drive alone to these places, so diverse. Driving along open spaces then all of a sudden your in an area where mountains shoot up. The drive up loch Lomond after the Arrochar turn off is quite tight n dense then it opens up just stunning. Driving through Speyside and the rolling hills up and down with tiny villages plotted every so often, just so comforting and makes you wanna chill even more. The open plans driving from Dornoch to Thurso or round the west side, Scourie n Kinlochbervie stunning views and so different in the amazing sunshine or on a windswept day, just fantastic.

"

The open plains from Dornoch to Thurso???

The road follows the coast up and down until Latheron and only then cuts across the flat Cassiemire!

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"Don’t go to Ayr, it’s pissing down!

Aw...I'm going there tomorrow for four days too!"

Hope it improves for you!x

over a year ago

Edinburgh a90,a91, tentsmuir or st Andrews, anstruther for dinner, back road via Ellie down to A92..

Lovely stopping spots on route and farm, antiques shops etc.

Mistress Amelia x

over a year ago

Barra....landing on the Traigh Mhor cockleshell beach runway is one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

By *ucyfur77Woman
over a year ago

Pleasuretown

Our beaches in East Lothian

Noticed you've already said oban and glencoe

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Our beaches in East Lothian

Noticed you've already said oban and glencoe"

Take the kids down there sometimes especially with the youth club. We head to yellowcraigs with them and then to north Berwick for chips

By *hargMan
over a year ago

Erskine

I love Loch Lomond, Inveraray and going round to Dunoon by road

over a year ago

Noticed you've already said oban and glencoe"

Oh yes don't forget the Western Isles if weather is great best beaches in Europe & you can find a quiet place for nude sunbathing & be free

By *ucyfur77Woman
over a year ago

Pleasuretown

Noticed you've already said oban and glencoe

Take the kids down there sometimes especially with the youth club. We head to yellowcraigs with them and then to north Berwick for chips "

Lovely

over a year ago

Did the North Coast 500 recently - scenary was amazing but absolutely blown away by the West coast, awesome - especially up around Applecross

By *hekaiserMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I drove along the A82...Glasgow to Inverness in April.

Drive between Loch Lomond and Glencoe is amazing as is the drive along Loch Ness......driving heaven.

No need to go to Europe to find driving heaven.....

By *amperguyMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Spent 2weeks touring the outer Hebrides at the beginning of july and the weather was amazing.

I spend a bit of time down in the borders and the area around st Mary's loch has some great driving.

over a year ago

The open plains from Dornoch to Thurso???

The road follows the coast up and down until Latheron and only then cuts across the flat Cassiemire!"

lollllll, as I was typing it out and thinking of the journeys, I was thinking of the run up the balanach n bah and how open it is on the drive up the road and then looking back at amazing views also the road before Rannoch mor over the steel bridge and up the windy road. Ffs so many, nee dot get them in an order or summit

For me theres a part of the coastal road between Dornoch and thurso where its curved at the coast and is wind drive round n up which opens up at the top, cant remember which part but its a lovely wee area

over a year ago

I seen this thing on Facebook the other day and it was called "the Scottish 66" was all over the top of Scotland and in a big circle I wish you could attach pictures! Looked amazing!

over a year ago

We always enjoy the drive from Uig on Skye down the west coast and then hell begins at the last southern roundabout of Loch Lomond. Always stop at the commando memorial for a brew.

By *stwoCouple
over a year ago

anywhere

We think the drive from Fort William to Mallaig is stunning.Would also like to do that journey by train.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

"I seen this thing on Facebook the other day and it was called "the Scottish 66" was all over the top of Scotland and in a big circle I wish you could attach pictures! Looked amazing! "

The official name is the NC500. North Coast 500 mile circuit.

Pain in the back side to the locals who have to drive parts of it to get to work, the shops, appointments etc.

Convoys of foreign campervans travelling at 40mph.

Folk who have no idea how to drive on a single track road.

Tourists who stop to take photos in the middle of the road.

Still they do keep the ambulance service in a job.

over a year ago

I have been to.most of the places mentioned however i fancy going to glen affleck is it beautiful as peoplw say.

By *evilsAdvocate94Woman
over a year ago

edinburgh

Glen prosen or loch earn because it’s where we used to go as kids in summer and they are both beautiful

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Glencoe actually looks better when the weather is bad, it's more moody."

Drove through Glencoe once in early dusk, stormy weather with occasional light patches scudding across through breaks in the clouds it looked forbidding and just then Gael came on the radio. Turned it up and had a goosebump drive through.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Going For A Drive In Scotland, Where Would You Go

As the title says if you were going to go a drive in Scotland, say a few days, where would you go and why.

Me I have many place for different reasons. A small sample is listed here: Love loch Etive or the drive from Glasgow heading to Inveraray then up to Loch Awe then to Oban.

Enjoy it heading to Drumnadrochit and not to far from there there's a place you can park the car and walk into the woods to come across a river with an 100 year old bridge, its absolute stunning, the way the river has shaped the stones over the centuries. Just a place where you can relax and chill. I also love Skye but there's that much to see before it and even heading further up to the Bealach na bah, towards Applecross, the higher road in Britain, fantastic views.

These are only some of the places I love in this beautiful country, so what about you, where would you go, for any reason

"

Pretty sure with a couple of days driving I'd make it to Marseilles.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS
over a year ago

glasgow

Love it up that way x

over a year ago

Up the A9 in autumn going through Perthshire the colours on the trees are lovely

I also like the Highands too can’t pick a favourite

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

Drove from Easter Ross, up past Bonar Bridge and Inchnadamph to Assynt for work today and then back again.

Get to do that every week, nice to see the changing seasons.

over a year ago

I love driving around the Highlands. Stunning scenery particularly around autumn.

Also love driving around the Outer Hebrides. The beaches of Harris with their white sands and Caribbean blue waters with the rugged Scottish hills in the background are beautiful.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"For me theres a part of the coastal road between Dornoch and thurso where its curved at the coast and is wind drive round n up which opens up at the top, cant remember which part but its a lovely wee area "

Think you mean the Berriedale Braes.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

All the comments are very predictable, but you all miss a lovely, unspoilt part of the country.

What was known as the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, and into Wigtownshire. A lovely, unspoilt, and relatively quiet part of Scotland. Doesn't have the high hills of the north, but beautiful all the same.

over a year ago

Def the NC500 it's just amazing and the people you meet along the way just add to it. Doesn't matter if your on 2 wheels or 4 the scenery is breathtaking and would highly recommend.

over a year ago

"Going For A Drive In Scotland, Where Would You Go

"

To my house

over a year ago

crianlaroch is lovely went up ther n went out on a speed boat stunning views x

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"All the comments are very predictable, but you all miss a lovely, unspoilt part of the country.

What was known as the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, and into Wigtownshire. A lovely, unspoilt, and relatively quiet part of Scotland. Doesn't have the high hills of the north, but beautiful all the same."

My paternal family are from there...

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

"All the comments are very predictable, but you all miss a lovely, unspoilt part of the country.

What was known as the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, and into Wigtownshire. A lovely, unspoilt, and relatively quiet part of Scotland. Doesn't have the high hills of the north, but beautiful all the same.

"

Yes it's nice down that way, people are nice too

And good luck on the 28th (saw that on another thread) hope everything goes well for you.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

And good luck on the 28th (saw that on another thread) hope everything goes well for you."

Aww thank you xx

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

And good luck on the 28th (saw that on another thread) hope everything goes well for you.

Aww thank you xx "

Hopefully time wont drag for you

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Aww thank you xx

Hopefully time wont drag for you "

I’m in the same ward/bay as my last 5 “visits”. The staff just let me do my own thing. Usually end up sitting at the nursing station at night, helping with meals and the beds... didn’t want me to leave last time lol.

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

Aww thank you xx

Hopefully time wont drag for you .

I’m in the same ward/bay as my last 5 “visits”. The staff just let me do my own thing. Usually end up sitting at the nursing station at night, helping with meals and the beds... didn’t want me to leave last time lol. "

Now why doesn't that surprise me lol

By *ewbies1017Couple
over a year ago

falkirk

"I think we need a convoy road trip "

We would certainly be up for that !

By *horstrollMan
over a year ago

Caprona

Whenever the Bute breaks down(frequently) the over the hill drive to Hunters quay is very therapeutic. Argyll has nice touring routes….

Borders is very nice with wee roads and a friendly sat nav straying into kielder is worth it.

Going over the crow road has always done it for me, the view of the trossachs hinting at the midges waiting patiently.

By *ornidevylsCouple
over a year ago

Scotland

NC500 works for us luv to race n rally them curves! Don't mind her peaks n rugged cracks either!

By *ad bod000Man
over a year ago

Evanton

Definitely the North Coast 500. We've done it 4 times now absolutely stunning views

By *ikilovesCCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

So I can go clothes shopping

over a year ago

I Am up Aviemore twice and year and love the drive up there (late Sep and early Dec). After you leave Perth its beautiful. Love heading the West Highland way to get there. Simply stunning and even when it's pissing it down it seems to make the place even more stunning. Love the drive round loch Ness aswell, as were up there in Dec we get the snow so it's even better

Post new Message to Thread