Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Vegetarianism

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone else find vegetarians to be insufferable pains in the arse? Working away from home and staying in a Premier Inn which has a Beefeater restaurant attached (hints in the name you Morrisey loving freak show arse bandit) and just witnessed a woman completely lose her shit because said restaurant “doesn’t have a vegetarian option” and absolutely berate one of the waitresses. Don’t think her partner appreciated my asking if she didn’t eat beef because it would be akin to cannibalism.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

All restaurants should offer vegetarian options as so many folk dont eat meat.

over a year ago

"All restaurants should offer vegetarian options as so many folk dont eat meat. "

It’s a steakhouse if you don’t want to eat meat....don’t go there and certainly don’t spoil other patrons enjoyment of their meal because the restaurant won’t pander to your unreasonable demands

By *he Regina PhalangeWoman
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"All restaurants should offer vegetarian options as so many folk dont eat meat. "

I agree. I gave up meat when I was 13. I might choose to go out for dinner with someone who particularly likes steak... their should most definitely be a vegetarian option.

over a year ago

I don’t like fish but I certainly wouldn’t go into a Sushi Bar and demand pie beans and chips

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

"All restaurants should offer vegetarian options as so many folk dont eat meat.

I agree. I gave up meat when I was 13. I might choose to go out for dinner with someone who particularly likes steak... their should most definitely be a vegetarian option."

if you do that then a vegitarian reaturant should carry meats.

if your not happy with a resturants choices show with your feet

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"I don’t like fish but I certainly wouldn’t go into a Sushi Bar and demand pie beans and chips "

Now you’re being too specific. You could ask for a non fish option.

I don’t eat sushi either!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I agree. I gave up meat when I was 13. I might choose to go out for dinner with someone who particularly likes steak... their should most definitely be a vegetarian option.if you do that then a vegitarian reaturant should carry meats.

if your not happy with a resturants choices show with your feet"

Away an eat yet custard

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I go to beefeaters often. They sell vegan burgers

over a year ago

"I don’t like fish but I certainly wouldn’t go into a Sushi Bar and demand pie beans and chips

I don’t eat sushi either! "

It’s rank isn’t it? I mean RAW fish.....HEAVE!! lol

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

I agree. I gave up meat when I was 13. I might choose to go out for dinner with someone who particularly likes steak... their should most definitely be a vegetarian option.if you do that then a vegitarian reaturant should carry meats.

Away an eat yet custard "

awaiting ya climbing in it

over a year ago

"I go to beefeaters often. They sell vegan burgers"

They had none apparently....mores the pity as I would have gladly have rammed it down her whining throat!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

All restaurants I’ve ever been to in the Uk have offered a vegetarian option. I’ve never had a problem being fed whilst out.

Except in Paris! Parisians cannot comprehend the notion of ‘no meat’!

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"I don’t like fish but I certainly wouldn’t go into a Sushi Bar and demand pie beans and chips

I don’t eat sushi either!

It’s rank isn’t it? I mean RAW fish.....HEAVE!! lol"

over a year ago

"All restaurants I’ve ever been to in the Uk have offered a vegetarian option. I’ve never had a problem being fed whilst out.

Except in Paris! Parisians cannot comprehend the notion of ‘no meat’!"

Think I could be tempted to move to France

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Away an eat yet custard awaiting ya climbing in it "

Paddling pools still out, awaiting you and your 120 cans

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"All restaurants I’ve ever been to in the Uk have offered a vegetarian option. I’ve never had a problem being fed whilst out.

Except in Paris! Parisians cannot comprehend the notion of ‘no meat’!

Think I could be tempted to move to France "

I’ll come with you, I’ll live on baguettes with Brie and tarte au citreon.

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

We had a steak and seafood restaurant in town n it used to do my head in when people moaned there were only a few veg options, or even worse moan that the options were based around veg

K x

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Away an eat yet custard awaiting ya climbing in it

Paddling pools still out, awaiting you and your 120 cans "

im poah its 90 1l cartons... animal gelatine free of course

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Away an eat yet custard awaiting ya climbing in it

Paddling pools still out, awaiting you and your 120 cans im poah its 90 1l cartons... animal gelatine free of course "

Hahahaha trained you well

By *earded blossomCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

if your not happy with a resturants choices show with your feet"

Exactly, plenty of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Glasgow, a steak house should be exactly that. Steak!

Did anyone see the video that went viral recently of the guy throwing the fish back in the lake after the guy caught it? lol

John

over a year ago

Lanarkshire

"We had a steak and seafood restaurant in town n it used to do my head in when people moaned there were only a few veg options, or even worse moan that the options were based around veg

K x"

Well K, they are just spoilt fannies! I was always told to eat what was on my plate. I was lucky my mum turned veggie the same time as me.

over a year ago

Exactly, plenty of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Glasgow, a steak house should be exactly that. Steak!

Did anyone see the video that went viral recently of the guy throwing the fish back in the lake after the guy caught it? lol

John "

Ha ha ha I did! He would have been joining said fish immediately afterwards had he done that to me!

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"I go to beefeaters often. They sell vegan burgers

They had none apparently....mores the pity as I would have gladly have rammed it down her whining throat! "

And what about the csuliflower cheese tart, halloumi salad or sweet potato and feta lasagne?. Did they run out of these also.

over a year ago

They had none apparently....mores the pity as I would have gladly have rammed it down her whining throat!

And what about the csuliflower cheese tart, halloumi salad or sweet potato and feta lasagne?. Did they run out of these also. "

Can pass you on the phone number for Premier Inn Carlisle Junction 42 and you can phone and field that query to them if you want

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

From a former chefs perspective, I totally get why the woman lost her shit, no respectful establishment should be avoiding catering for said customers, though maybe she had no need to take it out on the waitress because it’s not her fault her employers left her open to such criticism!

I am sure the chefs could have rustled something up for her had she asked the waitress to request them to do so in a different manner, or the restaurant should be bold enough to display on their entrance that vegetarians are not catered for save the embarrassment to the customer and server going to the trouble of possibly waiting to be seated offered drinks while they decide only to be told pay for your drinks but we can’t feed you.

I’ve lost my shit with junior chefs I’ve worked alongside with who have disregarded the fact the customer is vegetarian and went to use a knive or utensil that they have just used on meat to orep the veg meal!

Consideration is key to keeping people happy even if you don’t agree with it!

Must be hard work being a vegetarian. Putting your trust in others to not use items that have contacted meat to prep their food!

Perfect example I can think of is even going for a subway sandwich you would have to ask them to change their gloves prior to preparing your sub!

over a year ago

And what about the csuliflower cheese tart, halloumi salad or sweet potato and feta lasagne?. Did they run out of these also. "

must admit when I read the OP I was thinking..erm...can't ever remember being in a "chain" and them not having a veggie option?

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Except in Paris! Parisians cannot comprehend the notion of ‘no meat’!"

They do have amazing salads though!

That can be very filling

over a year ago

And what about the csuliflower cheese tart, halloumi salad or sweet potato and feta lasagne?. Did they run out of these also. must admit when I read the OP I was thinking..erm...can't ever remember being in a "chain" and them not having a veggie option? "

Well I must have experienced the most intense psychotic break or have been spiked with LSD as I know what I saw. But hey because you have never been in said chain when perhaps the vegetarian option isnt available I must be a liar huh?

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I can see where the OP is coming from.

I have kids with allergies and I check the menus before I go... by checking online or calling and by looking at the menu before entering/ordering.

It is only recently that restaurants and cafes give a gluten free option.

I just got on with it and took my custom to places that suited my needs.

over a year ago

"Anyone else find vegetarians to be insufferable pains in the arse? Working away from home and staying in a Premier Inn which has a Beefeater restaurant attached (hints in the name you Morrisey loving freak show arse bandit) and just witnessed a woman completely lose her shit because said restaurant “doesn’t have a vegetarian option” and absolutely berate one of the waitresses. Don’t think her partner appreciated my asking if she didn’t eat beef because it would be akin to cannibalism. "

lolol, true its in the name but I would have thought the restaurant would have at least one meal for vegetarians, there should be a few options.

But the person has not right to berate the waitress, its not her fault

By *awty MaxWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

And... Often if you ask nicely. The serving staff and the chefs are accommodating to your requirements.

Will be interesting to know if she did ask first.

over a year ago

"And... Often if you ask nicely. The serving staff and the chefs are accommodating to your requirements.

Will be interesting to know if she did ask first."

And... if she wasn't nice to them, I fecking hope they didn't spit in it

over a year ago

And what about the csuliflower cheese tart, halloumi salad or sweet potato and feta lasagne?. Did they run out of these also. must admit when I read the OP I was thinking..erm...can't ever remember being in a "chain" and them not having a veggie option?

Well I must have experienced the most intense psychotic break or have been spiked with LSD as I know what I saw. But hey because you have never been in said chain when perhaps the vegetarian option isnt available I must be a liar huh? "

actually i have been in said chain and there's was a veg option but hey you saw what you saw.no one calling anyone anything.well I'm not anyway.

By *ot - CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Anyone else find vegetarians to be insufferable pains in the arse? "

Don't paint everyone with the same brush

By *eglover62TV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

"From a former chefs perspective, I totally get why the woman lost her shit, no respectful establishment should be avoiding catering for said customers, though maybe she had no need to take it out on the waitress because it’s not her fault her employers left her open to such criticism!

I am sure the chefs could have rustled something up for her had she asked the waitress to request them to do so in a different manner, or the restaurant should be bold enough to display on their entrance that vegetarians are not catered for save the embarrassment to the customer and server going to the trouble of possibly waiting to be seated offered drinks while they decide only to be told pay for your drinks but we can’t feed you.

I’ve lost my shit with junior chefs I’ve worked alongside with who have disregarded the fact the customer is vegetarian and went to use a knive or utensil that they have just used on meat to orep the veg meal!

Must be hard work being a vegetarian. Putting your trust in others to not use items that have contacted meat to prep their food!

Perfect example I can think of is even going for a subway sandwich you would have to ask them to change their gloves prior to preparing your sub!

"

I am a veggie and I'd hope that any restaurants I visit are as considerate and careful. It's not really just a fad for most of us.

By *44bertCouple
over a year ago

Inverness

"freak show arse bandit"

Charming.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Seeing quite a few comments here with the thought they should have at least one vegetarian option.

why should they have a veggie option perhaps the owners dont agree that its healthy.

perhaps the chef hates cooking veggie.

its your choice to be a veggie you cant blame anyone who dosnt agree with your standpoint or wants the extra trouble of prepping a meal for a small cross section of society.

im not against vegitarians but your choice cant affect everyone else.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"Anyone else find vegetarians to be insufferable pains in the arse? Working away from home and staying in a Premier Inn which has a Beefeater restaurant attached (hints in the name you Morrisey loving freak show arse bandit) and just witnessed a woman completely lose her shit because said restaurant “doesn’t have a vegetarian option” and absolutely berate one of the waitresses. Don’t think her partner appreciated my asking if she didn’t eat beef because it would be akin to cannibalism. "

Aside from actually answering the thread. This post is hilarious, what a class way to call someone a cow.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Anyone else find vegetarians to be insufferable pains in the arse? Working away from home and staying in a Premier Inn which has a Beefeater restaurant attached (hints in the name you Morrisey loving freak show arse bandit) and just witnessed a woman completely lose her shit because said restaurant “doesn’t have a vegetarian option” and absolutely berate one of the waitresses. Don’t think her partner appreciated my asking if she didn’t eat beef because it would be akin to cannibalism.

Aside from actually answering the thread. This post is hilarious, what a class way to call someone a cow. "

She was probably just in a bad moooooood.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Tain

As to the name thing, can I now sue panda express as they don't have panda on the menu!

over a year ago

My gripe with the individual in question were as follows:

1) It’s a STEAKHOUSE. I wouldn’t go into Halfords and lose my shit because they won’t sell me a 3 piece suite

2) The completely unacceptable manner in which this woman lost her rag, became verbally abusive and aggressive to a young waitress probably earning minimum wage for something over which she had no control

3) The fact that this woman’s selfish, unreasonable and shitty attitude ruined my enjoyment of what was a delicious 8oz fillet steak and the dining enjoyment of other people in the restaurant all because she has chosen (contrary to human evolution) to sustain herself on rabbit food.

Yes I did call her a “freak show arse bandit” , I’m 46 years old, from the West of Scotland and political correctness gets right on my tits as do the perpetually offended!

4)

over a year ago

"Seeing quite a few comments here with the thought they should have at least one vegetarian option.

why should they have a veggie option perhaps the owners dont agree that its healthy.

perhaps the chef hates cooking veggie.

its your choice to be a veggie you cant blame anyone who dosnt agree with your standpoint or wants the extra trouble of prepping a meal for a small cross section of society.

im not against vegitarians but your choice cant affect everyone else."

Agree with you there except one thing.

I think most restaurant should have veggie option, why! because business is business and if a steak house owner is bringing in customers and is constantly busy then great but if at certain times not doing so well, he will make sure her covers all bases.

For an example:

A mother and father with 3 children look at the menu. The hubby n kids all want meat but the wife is a veggie. Hubby says "ok, no vegetarian meals listed for mommy so lets try somewhere else." That restaurant owner has not lost five customers. If he had veggie option, they would all have stayed and hopefully have a great time and thus, vegie mother might tell her pals, if they are veggies and then they might come to the same restaurant bringing in extra business.

Not saying all those circumstances could or have happened but a restaurant is also a business, without paying customers it will not remain a business.

over a year ago

"My gripe with the individual in question were as follows:

1) It’s a STEAKHOUSE. I wouldn’t go into Halfords and lose my shit because they won’t sell me a 3 piece suite

2) The completely unacceptable manner in which this woman lost her rag, became verbally abusive and aggressive to a young waitress probably earning minimum wage for something over which she had no control

3) The fact that this woman’s selfish, unreasonable and shitty attitude ruined my enjoyment of what was a delicious 8oz fillet steak and the dining enjoyment of other people in the restaurant all because she has chosen (contrary to human evolution) to sustain herself on rabbit food.

Yes I did call her a “freak show arse bandit” , I’m 46 years old, from the West of Scotland and political correctness gets right on my tits as do the perpetually offended!

4) "

Sounds like she's out of order, treating the waitress horribly and she'd prob go the same way if she eat meat and her fork was dirty. Just sunds like she as a person is not nice or having a really bad, fuck off day and took it out on the waitress

over a year ago

4) "

All that red meat and the stress from this thread won't be doing your heart any good OP.

Here....have some lentils xxx

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

I’m hopeful they have a profile on here and will post a reply .

Giving it to the waitress in the neck was wrong but she’s the face of said chain at the time I’d have got the front of house manager to speak too if I was upset . To many folk lose the rag at the first person that they speak to much better to find the person in charge who’s got the power to find a resolution to the problem . In this case maybe their suppliers let them down or they had a vegan coach party in earlier . Better to have signs up or the staff to say on arrival that certain things are off the menu .

over a year ago

"From a former chefs perspective, I totally get why the woman lost her shit, no respectful establishment should be avoiding catering for said customers, though maybe she had no need to take it out on the waitress because it’s not her fault her employers left her open to such criticism!

I am a veggie and I'd hope that any restaurants I visit are as considerate and careful. It's not really just a fad for most of us."

During my days as a chef which I did over 13 years including fine dining, you learn quickly that everything you do affects somebody, such as stock rotation or using unfit goods it has the potential to kill someone like children, the elderly or people with weakened or low immune systems, behind the scenes there’s huge amounts of legislation in place to protect the consumer, not that all establishments follow them, but you’re legally obliged to do so and must show due diligence in everything you do, and provide an audit trail of records, logs and documents at any given moment to environmental health officers who can turn up unannounced for inspections.

It’s the integrity of chefs that you put faith in to keep to those safe practices that is the worrying bit, all the legal obligations are only fit for purpose if the chef has every intention of following them, like a lot of documents they can be falsified and abused, but those that would risk it will eventually get caught out and risk closure of their business and prosecution!

The main point is though there’s a lot of fantastic chefs or there, I’d include myself in that bracket but a great deal more shit ones, just your luck who you get cooking for you, but don’t let that put you off the catering industry is not in a bad place from my experience.

It’s the processed food industry that’s the worrying one for me but if you knew half the shit that goes on in those places you would never eat again

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

4) "

What a horrible man you are OP. Poor woman was probably starving, the least you could have done was offer her a roasty potato off your plate, just scrape all that meaty gravy off it first.

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

4)

What a horrible man you are OP. Poor woman was probably starving, the least you could have done was offer her a roasty potato off your plate, just scrape all that meaty gravy off it first. "

Oh and wtf you talking about Halfords don't sell 3 piece suites. ??? 1 irate letter heading to the CEO of Halfords as we speak.

over a year ago

4)

What a horrible man you are OP. Poor woman was probably starving, the least you could have done was offer her a roasty potato off your plate, just scrape all that meaty gravy off it first.

Oh and wtf you talking about Halfords don't sell 3 piece suites. ??? 1 irate letter heading to the CEO of Halfords as we speak. "

Roast tottie off my plate? I wouldn’t give someone like that the steam off my sh&@e lol Please don’t tell Halfords I informed you they don’t sell 3 piece suites

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

4)

Oh and wtf you talking about Halfords don't sell 3 piece suites. ??? 1 irate letter heading to the CEO of Halfords as we speak.

Roast tottie off my plate? I wouldn’t give someone like that the steam off my sh&@e lol Please don’t tell Halfords I informed you they don’t sell 3 piece suites "

LMAO.

By *entish79Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I don’t like fish but I certainly wouldn’t go into a Sushi Bar and demand pie beans and chips "

I don’t like fish, but often go into my local fish and chip shop for a sausage supper.

Weird, I know, but these are exciting time.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

I don’t like fish, but often go into my local fish and chip shop for a sausage supper.

Weird, I know, but these are exciting time."

I keep asking for a fish called Wanda which they never have .

By *entish79Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

4) "

Uh-huh. That’s a great story, but what does it have to do with all vegetarians?

Also, 1986 called to say it wants its lame assed, cliche ridden, ignorant attitude to vegetarians back.

By *entish79Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Weird, I know, but these are exciting time.

I keep asking for a fish called Wanda which they never have . "

Wanda still hasn’t turned up? Mind you, Wanda had a tough old time of it, so maybe avoiding the fryer is karma!

over a year ago

4)

Also, 1986 called to say it wants its lame assed, cliche ridden, ignorant attitude to vegetarians back."

I have noted your response, considered it carefully and files it under “Couldn’t give a fuck!”

over a year ago

I think vegetarians should go back to their own country. Long live beef!

By *entish79Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

4)

Also, 1986 called to say it wants its lame assed, cliche ridden, ignorant attitude to vegetarians back.

I have noted your response, considered it carefully and files it under “Couldn’t give a fuck!”"

Have you been reading The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving A Fuck?

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

A vegetarian has a carrot sticking out of one ear, celery out of the other, and a mushroom up his nose. He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong. The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right. " !

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/08/18 04:21:21]

over a year ago

It’s not a ‘steakhouse’, they just haven’t bothered to update their name, despite being attached to every Premier Inn and targeting families.

There a several veggie options on the menu, though it’s Poundland quality.

I find that whenever someone mentions that I’m vegetarian, the women accept it for what it is, and the men start to name all the meat that they couldn’t get by without. As if their masculinity has been threatened, and as if I care.

over a year ago

It’s a pub chain. The chain's name references both the English figure of the beefeater, as well as its menu's meat (particularly beef) offering.

Selling steak doesn’t make it exclusively a steakhouse, whatever that means.

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

See, that’s what I was thinking. Beefeaters do have veggie options. All big chains do.

Yes I know it’s more of a grill restaurant but they’ve always catered for vegetarians.

My daughter is having a birthday party today and my ex asked on the invitations for parents to let her know if any were veggies so she could cater for them as I’m doing a bbq for the kids.

(PLEASE EVERYONE PRAY FOR DRY WEATHER TODAY - and for my sanity )

over a year ago

For whatever reason there was no vegetarian option available and the ill mannered cow went tonto. Do they have vegetarian food? Couldn’t tell you as I’m not vegetarian and pay no attention. Do I feel as though vegetarianism is a threat to my masculinity? Ffs have a word with yourself lol

By *e DevilMan
over a year ago

Blantyre

"For whatever reason there was no vegetarian option available and the ill mannered cow went tonto. Do they have vegetarian food? Couldn’t tell you as I’m not vegetarian and pay no attention. Do I feel as though vegetarianism is a threat to my masculinity? Ffs have a word with yourself lol"

That's the most girlie statement ever. !!.

Im Joking .

By *uck n lil belterCouple
over a year ago

roundabout

my wife is a veggie ane most definatly no pain in the arse or stuck up its her choice but that dont stop her cooking meat for my dinner and we've never had any problems when eating out , so i guess am saying you statement of veggies being pain in arse is bullshit ....more likely the person you speak of may not be to your liking.....personal tastes an all that

over a year ago

Can't beat a beetroot burger. No...seriously!!!

over a year ago

"Can't beat a beetroot burger. No...seriously!!! "

Beetroot soup rocks too bit of Borscht yum

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

"Can't beat a beetroot burger. No...seriously!!!

Beetroot soup rocks too bit of Borscht yum "

Is that not just the juice out the pickled beetroot jar

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Is that not just the juice out the pickled beetroot jar "

You culinary heathen .

over a year ago

Is that not just the juice out the pickled beetroot jar "

Haha not quite, it’s actually no good for vegetarians either

Has carrot, celery, onions, garlic, potato, cabbage, beef stock, salt pepper, Creme fraiche, butter and dill!

Traditionally served with a sliced 10oz Sirloin Steak sliced up and in the soup, one of my favourite soups second to cream of Cullen skink soup

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Have a Russian accuaintance can do a mean menu using veg and very little meat in most of it . If I could understand Russian I’d maybe be able to copy a few .

Post new Message to Thread