Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Scotland

Night shift

Jump to newest

By *tew1985 OP   Man
over a year ago

Near You

I've not long started doing a couple of night shifts per week. Does anyone have any tips for getting into night shift mode and back to days again? I'm really struggling with the first and last shift.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otwifecpl9189Couple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I've not long started doing a couple of night shifts per week. Does anyone have any tips for getting into night shift mode and back to days again? I'm really struggling with the first and last shift."

You don't unfortunately. Done it every 2nd week for 3 years and not once did I feel good. Just as you start getting your body clock back to normal you're back trying to get used to nights again.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The key is to stay awake for as long as possible on the last shift , I usually read the forums and chill for as long as possible. You'll always have that 12 hours or so that's lost going from nights to days and vice Versa.

By *lascumMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The key is to stay awake for as long as possible on the last shift , I usually read the forums and chill for as long as possible. You'll always have that 12 hours or so that's lost going from nights to days and vice Versa. "

Def agree with the post above, try your best to stay up then go to bed at normal time.. hard at first but you get into it

over a year ago

"I've not long started doing a couple of night shifts per week. Does anyone have any tips for getting into night shift mode and back to days again? I'm really struggling with the first and last shift."

Make sure you have a sleep before your first shift

When you get home don't just go to bed. Have breakfast and have a bath or shower

After your last shift only sleep for a few hours. Set your alarm and get up and do stuff and don't go to bed too early that night. Lie and read instead of watching tv helps me loads

Best of luck to you x

By *ullie-kingMan
over a year ago

Wishaw

I was constant nights for 4 years, there is no right way to do it unfortunately, every1 is different but what worked for me was sleeping late on the Thursday and staying up Friday till normal bed time which got me back into a normal routine for the weekend and the Sunday was a struggle but got back onto it again after the 1st one. Worst thing for me is sleeping on a Friday when I finish cause I sleep too long and stay in night mode all weekend.

If your on constant nights, stick with it, you will adapt. I'm now on a 3 shift rotation and that's harder on the night shift week than constant was.

By *onkeymagic50Man
over a year ago

Near the harbour

When you hit the wall 1st night shift drink a sweet hot chocolate .as most have said dont go straight to bed and when you finish last one power nap. I use my couch to make sure only sleep couple of hours .Your going to be fucked no way around it I get 4days off after 5.12 hr nughtshifts and body only feels normal day or so before day shift

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Different for everyone, Id say don't take any additivesto get you through your first shift...your awake to late the next day that knackers you second shift.

Coming off set your alarm for no more than 1 hour off the shift and at night stay awake until 12pm...then you might sleep till 7am.

First chance you get get iof night shift ...its killing you slowly.

By *ullie-kingMan
over a year ago

Wishaw

"Different for everyone, Id say don't take any additivesto get you through your first shift...your awake to late the next day that knackers you second shift.

Coming off set your alarm for no more than 1 hour off the shift and at night stay awake until 12pm...then you might sleep till 7am.

First chance you get get iof night shift ...its killing you slowly."

I differ on opinion with the last bit there m8, I loved constant nights and the bonus for me was I ended up loosing weight and was much healthier as I had more healthier stuff for my tea as it was 2/3am

over a year ago

Definitely buy a black out curtain. Helped me when I was on nights.

By *uietbloke67Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"Different for everyone, Id say don't take any additivesto get you through your first shift...your awake to late the next day that knackers you second shift.

First chance you get get iof night shift ...its killing you slowly.

I differ on opinion with the last bit there m8, I loved constant nights and the bonus for me was I ended up loosing weight and was much healthier as I had more healthier stuff for my tea as it was 2/3am "

Thanks for differing unfortunately the medical establishment differ from you.

over a year ago

It's a fuckin nightmare

over a year ago

"I've not long started doing a couple of night shifts per week. Does anyone have any tips for getting into night shift mode and back to days again? I'm really struggling with the first and last shift.

Make sure you have a sleep before your first shift

When you get home don't just go to bed. Have breakfast and have a bath or shower

After your last shift only sleep for a few hours. Set your alarm and get up and do stuff and don't go to bed too early that night. Lie and read instead of watching tv helps me loads

Best of luck to you x"

Out of all the replies this is the most accurate one. I’ve done shifts for 19 years and the afternoon sleep is a must especially on your 1st and a few hours sleep after your last is perfect that way when you go to bed that night you’ll get a great sleep

By *andom2chatMan
over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

"Def agree with the post above, try your best to stay up then go to bed at normal time.. hard at first but you get into it "

3 on/3off. Ahh the memories.

By *cotyt4funMan
over a year ago

livingston

I was 12 hours night shift last night, then straight onto a backshift today, I'm like a burst couch.

over a year ago

"I was 12 hours night shift last night, then straight onto a backshift today, I'm like a burst couch."

Fuck that for a game of soldiers

By *irky_coupleCouple
over a year ago

kirky

Just about to start a new job with 4 on 4 off nightshifts. Not looking forward to it now reading these replies

By *tew1985 OP   Man
over a year ago

Near You

Thanks for all the advive ladys and gents. Hopefully I find something that works for me. Does sex help?

Post new Message to Thread